Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Did YOU Discover The Sims Franchise?

Comments

• amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    edited June 2019
    Through a friend
    I must’ve been about 9 or 10 and my best friend brought me round her house to make my family on the original Sims because she decided she really wanted to have our whole friendship group in her game 😂 I remember that I went home and raved about how great creating my simself was, so my parents bought me ts2 and Nightlife for Christmas. Was absolutely obsessed from then on. I did stop playing for some time because ts3 became so unplayable with multiple packs that our pc couldn’t handle it, but I started buying ts4 again about three years ago. This game keeps pulling me back in!
  • GumbyGumby Posts: 46 Member
    Other
    Puddinroy wrote: »
    My friend and I had gone to Circut City because my friend wanted a game for her Imac at the time. Well, she picked up the Sims1 and read the back of it. I also read it and thought it was not a very good game. Well we went back to her parents house and installed it on her Imac and we stayed up until 5:00 the next morning. Then I asked my parents if I could get the Sims1 and I did. My parents even bought me some of the expansion packs for my birthday. :)

Then Maxis announced Sims2 and we saw the trailer and of course genetics. That was where I fell in love with aliens and alien abductions. :) I have finished a regular 10 generation legacy and an alphabet legacy.

Sims 3 is my favorite because of the open world, cast, alien abductions, genetics.

Sims 4 I do own some of the expanison packs and stuff pack. But it doesn't hold my attention that long unlike the Sims3 and Sims2.

Your Circuit City story is similar to mine. I went shopping at Circuit City with my boyfriend (now husband). He is the computer game player, not me, so i very rarely bought anything for myself when we went. But this one time was different. Bored while he was looking at games i picked up a copy of the sims deluxe edition and read the back of the box. I thought "that sounds like it could be fun" but then put it back down. When we were about to check out and leave the store he asked me if i wanted anything. I would usually say no but this time i said "you know...I think i do this time". I went back and picked up that copy of the sims i was looking at. OMG!! I've been hooked ever since. Almost an addict. lol!
  • Galaxygamer346Galaxygamer346 Posts: 22 Member
    From one of my friends online. We were chatting around and she told me about the sims and I should try it out. Been hooked ever since (this was around before ea. :smiley: Still love the sims!
  • DedudamolDedudamol Posts: 17 Member
    The Sims 1 i find from my friend. When i installed this game i was scared because my sim burned. Scary music and scream. Uh... xD
  • Monda76Monda76 Posts: 50 Member
    I started out with Sims FreePlay on my iPad but wanted more that’s when I started looking on the internet and found LP’s on Sims 4 & I got the base game for my birthday.
  • CulturalArtichokeCulturalArtichoke Posts: 1 New Member
    Other
    There was a commercial on tv for it when it first released. I remember loving the idea and being very excited. I begged everyone to get it for me, but some family members claimed that I may be too young; I was 9. My aunt's friend bought it and brought it over for me to play until I got it for Christmas.
  • damselstonedamselstone Posts: 21 Member
    Other
    I just remember seeing the first SIms game kicking about in a few different PC shops. We had a Mac at the time and it was cool to see it being sold for Mac as well as PC - there were so few games that were built for Mac. I was also already playing SimAnt religiously, so I think that's why my dad picked it up for us to play.
  • EcaEca Posts: 155 Member
    Through a a family member
    I started with The Sims 2, and I think I'm gonna end it with The Sims 4
    giphy.gif
    Crystal Cover from Tumblr
  • mlmeadowsmlmeadows Posts: 13 New Member
    Other
    It was when I first my first PS2. I bought Sims 1, because I loved SimCity as a kid. Still loving the franchise 16 years later.
  • YBNS2468YBNS2468 Posts: 240 Member
    My cousin (who always had the new PC games before anyone else) gave me and my older brother a Pirated Copy of the sims 1 right after tthe game was released, and I was blown away immediately. My brother was very mean to me at that time and whan he saw how much I loved this game he removed it from our (his) computer...Than my parents bought me the original copy of the game and i was able to re-install it every time he delted it LOL. Love at first sight indeed. One year after I started buying the expansions and the rest is history...
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    Through a friend
    A friend of mine gave me The Sims 1 as a birthday present way back then when I was still in 2nd grade. I’ve been playing ever since. Took a hiatus of The Sims 4 since 2017 due to the lack of content and general frustration of the flaws in the game. I didn’t feel like I was paying for what it’s worth.

I’m now back again and I’m glad that I can pay for a cheaper price with the Build Your Bundle deal.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Tag365Tag365 Posts: 5 New Member
    I'm pretty sure I discovered the series either because my brother got The Sims 2 for PC.
  • Tag365Tag365 Posts: 5 New Member
    Well he brought it in 2004 or so when it was still a new game. I don't see an option to edit my posts so I had to create a new one. Sorry!
  • KeidraKeidra Posts: 460 Member
    I honestly cannot for the life of me remember how I got into it originally. I do remember getting Makin' Magic, so I did have The Sims 1 at some point or another. How I came to get it, I don't know. My sister started The Sims 2 collection on console, and then later got The Sims 3 on console, and that prompted me to remember enjoying the game, and getting the PC versions of both. I did also play a few Sims titles on console because my sister had them.

So, tl'dr I did say family member but I don't remember how I got into the OG of OGs. It may have been my sister, too, it might've been that my friend across the street got it first, no idea. Man, that's annoying a thing to forget xD
    白雪夏夜我不停歇
    我并不感到困扰

I am kind to everyone. But if you are unkind to me, kindness is not what you will remember me for.
    I am autistic. Wording isn't my strong suit.

Stop player on player violence.
  • twincentaurstwincentaurs Posts: 4 New Member
    My mother used to play the first Sims game (then later The Sims 2) all the time when I was younger, and I'd watch her on the computer. I finally got into it when the sims 3 came out and have been playing on and off ever since!
  • mandyssims93mandyssims93 Posts: 122 Member
    Other
    I borrowed The Sims for Playstation 2 at a Video Ezy in 2004. Followed by The Sims Bustin out. I was only 11 and remember building houses with no floors, just plain concrete walls. Makes me cringe now lol.

Then I moved onto The Sims 2 for PC. Have played The Sims 3 and 4 too. I love this franchise. It is unlike anything else I have ever played. :)

I really hope The Sims 5 does a mix of everything that was good from all the previous games.
  • AleksandraAleksiaAleksandraAleksia Posts: 20 Member
    My mother really liked Sims 1, and I remember being around 3 or 4 when she let me have a chance of playing it. I was a bit young to really get into it, but I remember her buying Sims 2 a year or two after and I instantly became obsessed. After that, I had to have every pack, and she thankfully got them for me. Specifically for me, too. She was content with the base, but saw that I was obsessed, so bought me them if I behaved well enough.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    My daughter 1st noticed the Sims 3 Desel Stuff & I though wow this looks cool so I bought it & tried to install it but it kept saying you need the Sims 3 Base. So my daughter & I went back to EB Games store & told the retailer & we got the base then it worked. And now that my daughter is all grown up & on her own both of us plays the Sims 4.
  • AllieSootieAllieSootie Posts: 450 Member
    Through a friend
    I was visiting some family friends for the weekend and they had the game, so I decided to play it with them. I made my family and we even had my cat as they had Unleashed.
  • snowtiger_252snowtiger_252 Posts: 1 New Member
    Through the internet
    I originally heard about the Sims from watching videos on YouTube quite a few years ago, and continue to do so, so I can learn what are the best ways to do everything when I'm able to play Sims 4, as I currently am only able to play the Sims Freeplay on my phone, which just doesn't seem to have the same awesome look and feel to it as Sims 4 does (from what I've watched) :')
  • pisceschick75pisceschick75 Posts: 540 Member
    I have to put through a family member, but technically she and I were friends BEFORE I met her brother! Yes...I discovered The Sims through my sister-in-law, way back in 2000-ish? Before I married her brother in 2002. I met my future sister-in-law in college in '94...met her brother in '98. Found the game when he and I went over to visit her and her BF, now husband on her desk...went out and bought it...the rest is history.
    Is there a support group for Simming Addiction? I think I need it... :p
  • petewentospetewentos Posts: 90 Member
    Other
    I don't actually know because as far as I can remember, I've always known that The Sims was a thing. What I do remember is me getting MySims Racing for the DS way back then as a gift; it was actually the first real console game I played! It's weird to think that that was my first ever game and now here I am in 2019, rediscovering my love for the series by getting, and ultimately obsessing over, The Sims 4 :lol:
    giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d44708035316c432e5b02f0&rid=giphy.gif
    i just got so emo, i fell apart.
    origin id: petewentos
  • WarGreymon77WarGreymon77 Posts: 127 Member
    Through the internet
    I was a SimCity fan and I think I might've been taking part in the Simcity 3000 chat room at the time. I remember seeing a very short "trailer" clip online somewhere and I was THRILLED! Ever since SimTower, I always wanted a game where I could play as the Sims themselves. A game about everyday life might seem mundane to some folks, but it was the stuff of dreams to little boy me. I bought it at Walmart on launch day or very close to it. It was on a Thursday. I loved examining the box--not the front, but reading about all the cool stuff you could do.

10 Sim Lane was my very first house in the franchise, so it holds a bit of sentiment for me.
  • snarklessnarkles Posts: 244 Member
    My dad told me about a new game that was coming out, and he said he thought I'd like it. Except I thought he said "Sins," so I balked because I didn't think I'd like a game where you could die, which he confirmed that you could. There was some sort of building demo out that he let me play, and that was it: I was in love. We bought the game as soon as it came out, and I've been playing the franchise - both PC and console - ever since. I was eight when the first game was released.
    xSfr2Kh.jpg
  • SilmistySilmisty Posts: 9 New Member
    Through a friend
    This is going back almost 20 years ago now, as it was first the 1st game and it would have been early 2000. I was in university halls of residence. One of my flatmates had already discovered the Sims (presumably via the internet) and he got me hooked onto it too :-)

I had already played Sim City by this point as it was a well known build-and-manage your own city type game. I mistakenly thought that the Sims was a sequel to that, but was pleasantly surprised that it was quite a unique game in that it was essentially a virtual doll's house.

In the next years to come, the only other franchise that was close in that genre was Black & White. I never got into that though and carried on with the Sims series.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top