Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do they keep making the content I paid money for available for free??

Comments

• WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    ChocoCub wrote: »
    Sooner or later they'd be giving out Laundry Stuff or other stuff pack for free to commemorate 20 years of sims.

Only way you would get me to pick up Laundry or First Pet Stuff. And they really missed an opportunity by not calling that pack "Laundry Day".

It IS called "Laundry Day" (or "Laundry Day Stuff," officially).

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/packs/stuff-packs

Thanks for the correction, shows how little attention I pay to that pack.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    ItsJanier wrote: »
    I'm not surprised that EA did it. It's TS4 after all.
    I'm more surprised that some people are ok with it and defending EA. That's alarming. People being ok with the fact that EA is totally screwing their loyal players over again and again..
    I'm not gonna pay full price on anything when it comes to TS4 ever again.

I'm ok with it because they only added very few items to the BG (the items only have like 3 color swatches if I'm remembering right). It really isn't a big deal IMO. I think people are just overreacting a bit.
    He/Him
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I have a question. When was the first time they did this? Because I don't recall them doing this at all.
  • LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    They don't care. This whole update was about putting old stuff out with new colors. Literally. I paid for everything, but it's not like they made special content for the people who actually owned the packs.

The only time they did something like that was with the award lights from having Sims3 packs, when TS4 first came out. And those are available for everyone now.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    I have a question. When was the first time they did this? Because I don't recall them doing this at all.

first time i remember them doing this (just me personally im sure it was earlier) was releasing a dlc toddler hair from the stuff pack into base game cause there wasnt enough ethnic hairstyles given to base game so they moved one of the hairs into a free release.
  • LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    Livinity wrote: »
    Well I think it's the only way to make integration between packs viable for them. Photography, like you said, has been used in other packs in a way that wouldn't work if owning GTW was a requirement. That would've upsetted people even more. Sure they could just don't release any kind of feature that relies on other packs, but some of them are really nice. And let's be honest, even if they came up with something original everytime it would still be reused animations all around so potato potato?

They released My First Pets Stuff, a lot of which relied on the player having Cats and Dogs to use the stuff like dog beds/bowls etc. So it's not like they're only doing this in order to better integrate other packs. MFP proves that.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    Actually, I just noticed the new toilet from Island living has both swatches with and without the Island living logo. Was it also a base game item or is my game just buggy ?
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Ok from that angle, it sounds very wrong.
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    I thought in the live stream that they said they had some new base game recolors as well as some pack CAS recolors if you own those packs. I'm not sure though, so I'd be interested to see if the pack specific items still have the pack icons on them.

They removed the pack icons, but apparently you only get the new recolours but not the original swatches if you don’t have the packs. Obviously this doesn’t apply to the hair from dine out, though.

Basically the original swatches are now the DLC? That seems like a weird approach. "Hey, do you see this base game beanie? If you buy GTW you'll get more colors for it." :D

OMG what if EA starts charging us for DLC that contains swatches to base game items??? :anguished:
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,406 Member
    cheescaeks wrote: »

first time i remember them doing this (just me personally im sure it was earlier) was releasing a dlc toddler hair from the stuff pack into base game cause there wasnt enough ethnic hairstyles given to base game so they moved one of the hairs into a free release.

This was also the first time I noticed a pack item to be made available for the base game. This bothered me more because the toddler hairstyles were part of the reason why I got toddler stuff in the first place.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Actually, I just noticed the new toilet from Island living has both swatches with and without the Island living logo. Was it also a base game item or is my game just buggy ?
    I thought in the live stream that they said they had some new base game recolors as well as some pack CAS recolors if you own those packs. I'm not sure though, so I'd be interested to see if the pack specific items still have the pack icons on them.

They removed the pack icons, but apparently you only get the new recolours but not the original swatches if you don’t have the packs. Obviously this doesn’t apply to the hair from dine out, though.

Basically the original swatches are now the DLC? That seems like a weird approach. "Hey, do you see this base game beanie? If you buy GTW you'll get more colors for it." :D

OMG what if EA starts charging us for DLC that contains swatches to base game items??? :anguished:

I don’t think Island Living came with a toilet.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

That's actually going to be part of the My First Toilet Stuff Pack.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Lol I was kinda bummed about that too. They gave us a sink, shower, bathtub and counter (but no island option) and no toilet! Smh
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member

Lol I was kinda bummed about that too. They gave us a sink, shower, bathtub and counter (but no island option) and no toilet! Smh
    They did this :/
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    Ok so I was not having hallucinations !
    Kita5399 wrote: »

• FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member

And people tell me that I am "overreacting" cause DLC clothes game in base game...
    Finbar659 wrote: »

And people tell me that I am "overreacting" cause DLC clothes game in base game...
    It’s seems like there is a lot of this going on, I’m surprised it hasn’t been brought up more.

UGH I hate these secrets
  • EchovaEchova Posts: 144 Member
    Not surprised. They’re scam artists. Overreacting? Hardly.
  • LadyTigressLadyTigress Posts: 183 Member
    People need to take a chill pill, honestly. I dont see what the big deal is at all, what you start complaining and whining when items go up for sale in stores to? Seriously they add a few pack items to base game and its like the world is going under
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    People need to take a chill pill, honestly. I dont see what the big deal is at all, what you start complaining and whining when items go up for sale in stores to? Seriously they add a few pack items to base game and its like the world is going under

its kind of like buying a house and paying heaps of money for yard space but finding out the yard is shared yard and you actually didnt buy anything like thats a scam right there obviously people would be angry made pay to get nothing for their money
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited July 2019
    since they committed it already though its too late to revert so it should be compensated

they should add same amount of new things to the packs they took out of the packs (that are NOT from some other pack or whatever)

if this continues I will literally stop buying packs because it does not make sense to pay for nothing

I am extremely angry over photography so unless they replace it with new skill or career there aint gonna be peacetreaty
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited July 2019
    I agree. It was a dirty move to let some have for free what others was charged for. Question is, did we make us the laughingstock ourselves? Our craving for this game and its extras probably leaves us blind to some degree, and EA (like any oppotunistic company) exploits that.
    Post edited by Nindigo on

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member

Things going on sale is a little different as the player will have to put in an effort to buy the pack themselves. And the pack item will still be a pack item. We players know that sales happen and not everyone can afford packs as they are released, and that's when sales can come in handy.

Whereas, this one is given for free and shoved into the base game (and is kinda compulsory since you have to update your game eventually). And for them to just recycle pack items to base game is just kind of a dirty move.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
    I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m not mad at the few small free items themselves.. I’m afraid that this is just a test, see how many people notice, or how many get mad. It’s easy to say “it’s just a handful of items, no big deal”, but what happens when no one reacts and larger stuff is recycled/given away? A shirt here and there is no problem, until the doctor career/hospital get patched in with some excuse, because it’s “needed” for some other new feature.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m not mad at the few small free items themselves.. I’m afraid that this is just a test, see how many people notice, or how many get mad. It’s easy to say “it’s just a handful of items, no big deal”, but what happens when no one reacts and larger stuff is recycled/given away? A shirt here and there is no problem, until the doctor career/hospital get patched in with some excuse, because it’s “needed” for some other new feature.

I'm not surprised if they were gonna do that; they already did that with the photography skill/feature. 😒
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »

its kind of like buying a house and paying heaps of money for yard space but finding out the yard is shared yard and you actually didnt buy anything like thats a scam right there obviously people would be angry made pay to get nothing for their money

No, it's more like you bought a house and they charged extra for landscaping, and then they sold the house next door and threw in a couple of trees. You've still got full use of your garden - the fact that your neighbour got a couple of trees doesn't affect you at all. And your neighbour still has to pay for the bulk of the landscaping - they didn't get a lawn or hedges or flower bed.
    I just want things to match. :'(