Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

#PlayWithLife - Your stories!

EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
We’re celebrating all the ways The Sims has impacted millions of lives. Be who you want. Create who you want. Express yourself with The Sims. Play With Life.

Why do YOU play The Sims?

Comments

• PhillipaErdnussPhillipaErdnuss Posts: 73 Member
    Wow! This Video made me smile big time! Thanks! It shows how free one can play within The Sims. I Play the sims because I can explore what life could have been if I had made other decisions (not that I am not happy with my life :-) ). Also, as one Person in the Video said, doing bad Things without getting punished. :-)
    Phillipa Erdnuss
    Mayoress of SimCity and all associated districts
    Let this cart-button disappear!
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    edited July 2019
    I just play it like a child's game, like dollhouse, but videos like this show me how much this game can mean to some people, how much it can give them - it's very touching!
  • Rizzy394Rizzy394 Posts: 21 Member
    I've always played the Sims games since I was a little kid and the first one I ever played was The Sims Life Stories and I honestly think the Sims 4 is my favorite game to play with, though I know many people would disagree with me. Sims 2 comes in as a close second, but the main reason I play the Sims is because I love to be creative and the Sims - no matter which you play - allows you to be just that. You can make LGBT Sims, you can make yourself and your friends, you can make your favorite idols, and much more. It's a great way to unwind too if you've been having a rough day.
  • nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited July 2019
    Onions... There's a lot of onions here!

I've been playing since Sims 1. I remember creating sims for myself and my then-boyfriend-now-husband in Sims 3. In that game, I married him and adopted three kids. Still remember it to this day (unfortunately the save file became corrupted, and I couldn't retrieve it anymore). My husband and I will have our 6th anniversary this year, after Marriage Equality became legalized here in the US. Adopting kids won't be coming any time soon, but I'm hoping that I can actually live that sim life that I had created back then.
    TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png
  • wrenstaleswrenstales Posts: 777 Member
    Playing the Sims helps me to relax,play with Sims that let's me explore the world's an culture. It helps me design, deliver lots to Sims and add them to the exchange. The Sims has helped me explore possibilities I never thought I would have, test it by playing sims in social skills and then develop myself in the real word. With the Sims4 I enjoy playing the Sims story lines and inspire my creative side.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    I remembered when I first played the sims.

Didn't need any set amount of skills to really play the game, since Sims can go about their lives without my influence (though a lot of fires got started that way). The more the games progressed since the first one the more interested I got into them.

In school, I was always relatively quiet, not popular pretty much kept to myself and din't really have much of any friends in the least except for two. Most of my time was spent drawing and playing the sims. It was fun recreating my life and making it better playing the Sims 2 when I was out of college. People that you'll never see again or just live far away from you being there, seeing your simself bring a friend home from school. Having parties and people actually coming. It was just nice emulating that as it was something I never really experienced.

School was hard
    , making friends was hard if especially if you had the misfortune of being bullied on a daily basis like I did. Even now I start thinking back to how I didn't give it to those feelings of just 'giving up' entirely on life because it felt like some cruel joke to how me and others would get treated by kids our own age.

Why I'm so thankful for the friends I've made in a work setting now. Hanging out and having similar interests. Friends I never had like this and the only ones that was like that was the ones I made in the sims. There's no judgement in any of the Sims games.

You're not made fun of for being middle-class and poor, unable to afford the things others had like nicer clothes and not going to the thrift shop to do so. Being too skinny or a bigger size or just not 'pretty' by another's definition. There's no discrimination about who you are or people whispering behind your back. Not feeling nervous if you'll be rejected for friendship or love.

A game like the Sims is very important no matter what iteration you play.

I am glad this game exists for me and for others. :)

5vJrxmT.png
  • BlaufiniBlaufini Posts: 1 New Member
    I play The Sims to kind of recreate the real world around me and change it the way I wish it would be. Also I really like the idea of creating new characters with different personalities and stories. :)
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    Because it's fun to role play with characters, and do things through them without having to feel the real life repercussions of those things.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • LissyK9LissyK9 Posts: 205 Member
    When I was a child, my sister and i had a collection of over 80 barbie dolls, and we would create all kinds of stories with them, from historical stories to fantastical. I play the sims because it is a socially acceptable way for me as an adult to continue to 'play dolls' and create those kinds of stories. ;)
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    I don't think I ever realised The Sims could be that important and comforting - even strengthening! - to someone.
    Obviously, I enjoy playing the game and sometimes I get really invested in some of my Sims, so much so that I cry when they die, but I don't think it's ever influenced anything in my real life. Perhaps I play more as a creative outlet alternative to writing, which is also something I enjoy.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    The Sims? The Sims is my life!!! I really liked the video. It was well done and touching.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    It is very clear to me that the video is made to get new young players. I love the message but it fails to represent the older simmers.

The game is almost 20 and there are people playing it since the very beginning. Some of them were kids back then but many others were already teens or adults.

I wish this kind of campaigns didn't ignore older players. EA shouldn't take them for granted. They are the loyal fan base that has supported the game through good times and bad times alike.

I'm in my 30s and play the Sims since I was a teen. I love it and couldn't imagine my life without it.

Please, don't just focus on getting new players. Without the loyal ones, The Sims would have been long gone.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • barbiegoesbarbiegoes Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2019
    I am 53 and I have been playing the sims, since sims 1 , I love sims 4 it gives me a way to tell stories and create life :) I like the video very much, but wish it did show more age diversity. But I understand why they went with the young.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited July 2019

Thanks Maxis :)
    Post edited by Simburian on
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It is very clear to me that the video is made to get new young players. I love the message but it fails to represent the older simmers.

The game is almost 20 and there are people playing it since the very beginning. Some of them were kids back then but many others were already teens or adults.

I wish this kind of campaigns didn't ignore older players. EA shouldn't take them for granted. They are the loyal fan base that has supported the game through good times and bad times alike.

I'm in my 30s and play the Sims since I was a teen. I love it and couldn't imagine my life without it.

Please, don't just focus on getting new players. Without the loyal ones, The Sims would have been long gone.

I agree with this. Ive been playing the Sims since 2000. The series has got me through illness and hospital stays. It’s been the one franchise that game me complete control and allowed Me to express my creativity and make unique characters and tell different stories. Well until recently. I don’t really feel that about the sims 4. I’ve grown up with The Sims and I still love and play sims 1-3.

I agree I wish they would remember the fans who were here before the sims 4.
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I play The Sims because it’s fun. It hasn’t influenced me irl that much. I’ve only been playing since 2015. I feel left out.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member

Im a bit confused by this response. Im 29 and ive been playing since the sims 1. I think this game caters to all ages. Not sure how they are supposed to change the game or the marketing to please older people.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    I have been playing sims since the very first sims games. I love sims, I started playing it as a creative outlet, building houses and furnishing them was fun, my sims hardly ever survived in sims 1 LOL. Sims has also helped me emotionally from there on. It kept my mind busy when we immigrated over to a new country where I knew no one and had no friends or family to get support from. Sims is helping me at the moment, those who know me, will know that my brother has been missing for three years now. I miss him terribly (acutally wish I could make him in sims, but I tried and could not) and not having closure has my brain thinking up the most un usefull things ever, sims helps to ground me, its like my own personal little mindfullness class I attend when things get too much. Load up the game with a nice warm cup of milo and I am ready to face another day. Thank you sims for being there for me <3 Happy simming everyone :)
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I’ve been playing The Sims 4 for a year and a half now.
    When I first started playing, I was going through a rough patch where I was dealing with severe bullying on a daily basis at school. I ended up leaving school and The Sims kept me company for months when I had nowhere to go and was too scared to leave the house. Eventually, I was able to get into class somewhere else. Earlier this year, I was dealing with depression that was so bad I couldn’t function normally as a person and once again, The Sims was there to help me through it and eventually I got back to normal.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member

Im a bit confused by this response. Im 29 and ive been playing since the sims 1. I think this game caters to all ages. Not sure how they are supposed to change the game or the marketing to please older people.

I wasn't talking about the game but specifically about this new campaign. The video has a bunch of diverse young people and talks about why they play the Sims. But in my opinion they should have added some older people. As diverse as it is in many ways, the lack of older people is a shame.
    Because this is one of the most diverse games when it comes to players and older people are a big part of the game fan base.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited July 2019
    I play because it helps me deal with bullying, OCD (I find things not so triggering of my OCD after I play), and feeling down.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    The hatred surrounging this game is so tiresome and draining. It's just like everything else in this world though I guess, nothing but another thing for people to attack/hate and be mad over.

The comments under the video on that popular video hosting site are just mentally draining and sound like a bunch of miserable people who enjoy negativity. I personally steer clear of that platform and I also choose to steer clear of most sims discussions from now on.

I looked at the comments and honestly, 95% of it is people talking about how they dislike the rebrand and are wishing for bug fixes/a better game. Most people aren't even being rude about it...just saying.

Anyway, I play the Sims because it's fun. I like creating different sims and seeing what they get up to/how they live their lives. There's no deeper meaning in it for me :)
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    EA_Mai wrote: »
    We’re celebrating all the ways The Sims has impacted millions of lives. Be who you want. Create who you want. Express yourself with The Sims. Play With Life.

Why do YOU play The Sims?

I play because it's fun. I also am one of those "boring" players who keep my sims happy, successful and never kill them on purpose or create huge soap operas about them. It's all about small households and close relationships for me.

Anyway I have been playing since Sims 1, but I came into that because "god games" has always been favorite genre of mine.

I played all the old Sim City games. Sim Ant, Sim Life, Sim Planet, Roller coaster tycoon, Transport Tycoon, and of course RPGs as well.
    So when Sims was announced I jumped at it, I bought it the day it came out in stores in Sweden.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • HoneyPieSugerPlumHoneyPieSugerPlum Posts: 43 Member
    I have been seriously playing the sims since the second iteration and it’s helped me find my own sense of style, helped me keep my stress levels down when live decided to throw coconut sleep instead of lemons.
    [/]Working Hard is Important, but there is something that matters more: Believing in your self.-Harry Potter HPOTP
    [/]Always Believe you can reach the star and you will
  • ofDDofDD Posts: 28 Member
    I’m a huge fan of the sims games :). I play it for fun, in my little world and zone out, it’s just fun fun all the way. So much choice of sims to play with now, many options, I could play many hour, which I did in the sims 1. And sims 2. Wasn’t much a fan of sims 3 though. :/ .

But way to go to all of you working hard to create the sims for us! What a enjoyment...