Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 announcement speculation

13...Next

Comments

• doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    I would say Sims 4 will end sometime late in 2020,then people would be able to move on to Sims 5. Sims 4 has gone on for many years,and it will be time to end S4 later next year.
    I think your time frame is a bit off but I think we will see somthing like pre orders next year + Announcement but I don’t expect a realeste until 2021.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited July 2019
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    There's no way Sims 5 is coming any time soon. EA just gave Sims 4 a makeover. Plus, we are only in the beginning of the "three more years" of content for Sims 4. Island Living was only the first pack released in the next leg of development which just started this fiscal year, in April. Might as well have a seat and get comfy. It'll be a while.
    #Team Occult
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    There's no way Sims 5 is coming any time soon. EA just gave Sims 4 a makeover. Plus, we are only in the beginning of the "three more years" of content for Sims 4. Island Living was only the first pack released in the next leg of development which just started this fiscal year, in April. Might as well have a seat and get comfy. It'll be a while.

Does this makeover include an Open World, real babies and cars that your Sims can drive?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2019

Does this makeover include an Open World, real babies and cars that your Sims can drive?

Yes.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

Yes.

In some alternative universe.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited July 2019

Why can't both TS5 and TS4 run at the same time? EA is rich enough to do that and they won't lose the simmers who won't play TS4 or have given up on it.

Plus sometimes I get the feeling that EA is just saying they're committed to TS4 only to dump it as soon as TS5 is ready so that gullible people will keep buying TS4 junk in the meantime. They've done it before with other games.

• Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member

Why can't both TS5 and TS4 run at the same time? EA is rich enough to do that and they won't lose the simmers who won't play TS4 or have given up on it.

Plus sometimes I get the feeling that EA is just saying they're committed to TS4 only to dump it as soon as TS5 is ready so that gullible people will keep buying TS4 junk in the meantime. They've done it before with other games.

This. EA can milk TS4 more years, even with its obsolete engine, and launch a new, shiny and modern game that players with better machines can play while users with low-end PCs or old PCs can still play TS4. Or whoever likes TS4

The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.

Because then they would be competing with themselves for way too much cost. The fan base would be split down the middle, some playing 4, some playing 5, while they'd have to double their team to be able to develop twice the content, and finance twice as much. If they didn't double up, then both games would only get half the content, which is, I'm quite sure, not at all what anyone wants, no matter which iteration is preferred.

Plus, I truly don't think Sims 5 is anywhere near ready, if they've even begun. Because of Sims 4's rocky start, I think EA was holding its breath for a while to see if this game was going to succeed or crash and burn. They only got the go ahead last year to add three more years onto it, and that says to me that nothing had been decided as far as future planning. Everything has been up in the air. But because of Sims 4's success and continuation despite its controversies, I do think it's possible that work has begun very recently for the next gen Sims game. But who knows what it's going to look like.

Personally, I'd love to have multiple games running at once if they were quite different from each other. I'd love to see a return to Sims 2 style gaming but much more advanced with, of course, better graphics and art. A big shift back to the game's roots would be incredible.
    #Team Occult
    IceyJ wrote: »

Yes.

In some alternative universe.

That universe must be the pre-made world in TS5? :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited July 2019
    I just hope they don't make Sims 5 into another Sims Olympus 2.0, without family game play whatsoever, in which you have to to multiplay online with YA Sims only and have to answer questions in CAS without the option to choose traits yourself and make a clean sim without any backstory. I know lots of people like the new story feature and that's fine with me as long as I can choose, but I would definitely dislike having to use the story feature only.

This would definitely be the end of playing The Sims for me. I like my sandbox game and I like to play it just for myself, without other players interfering with my gameplay. Of course, it would be nice for those who want such online features to get an option to choose a multiplayer mode online, but I prefer the option to play for myself with all the worlds and items just like before.

I just imagine the worst considering the fact that game is now so much about looks and toddlers even weren't considered to be in base game.

I don't think Sims 5 will be announced anytime soon and considering the possibility that they will completely mess it up with Olympus 2.0, I am glad that they keep adding new content to Sims 4.

I actually like Sims 4 a lot nowadays, it has grown on me since there are toddlers and EPs/GPs that enhance game play. It's just that my Simmies need more to do as families. And of course, I would like some more family game play added, like a teenage GP with shorter teens and/or preteens or an elder GP, a Romance GP (would be interesting for other play styles too), a preschool GP, of course University with lots of majors to choose from, new careers (active ones), etc.
  • LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    I truly would not play a multiplayer Sims game. I have no desire to interact with other people in real time online and even less to have them be able to alter anything to do with my Sims, their lives or their homes. Or anything else, come to that. If I want to alter the place where they live I build new lots or alter existing ones, and if I don't feel like that or see one I like on the gallery made by someone else, I place it myself.

I honestly do not believe there are enough people who enjoy Sims who would want multiplayer. There are plenty of other games for that.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    LMcGE wrote: »
    I truly would not play a multiplayer Sims game. I have no desire to interact with other people in real time online and even less to have them be able to alter anything to do with my Sims, their lives or their homes. Or anything else, come to that. If I want to alter the place where they live I build new lots or alter existing ones, and if I don't feel like that or see one I like on the gallery made by someone else, I place it myself.

I honestly do not believe there are enough people who enjoy Sims who would want multiplayer. There are plenty of other games for that.

There are literally zero other games for that. There are other multiplayer games, but not any sims-like games that are multiplayer (and no, I don't count any of the Sims online or mobile games as a true Sims multiplayer, but rather as a Sims-themed MMO or mobile game).

I would 100% want the single-player experience to be default and be the center of development, but I don't see how having the option to host friends in your game (like Minecraft) would hurt other players who don't want that experience in any way.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
    Ivyeyed wrote: »

There are literally zero other games for that. There are other multiplayer games, but not any sims-like games that are multiplayer (and no, I don't count any of the Sims online or mobile games as a true Sims multiplayer, but rather as a Sims-themed MMO or mobile game).

I would 100% want the single-player experience to be default and be the center of development, but I don't see how having the option to host friends in your game (like Minecraft) would hurt other players who don't want that experience in any way.

If they were going to add a multiplayer feature they should just do it with Sims 4 because the engine can accommodate it already. A modder has somewhat accomplished this. Or, they could do a side game using Sims 4's engine.

The reason that people don't want Sims 5 to be multiplayer at all is because the engine has to be built for it. This means that it will determine how the general game is played and what can be done. Sims 4 was built on a multiplayer engine and the gameplay is very restricting in a lot of ways compared to previous games and it's a huge reason why a lot of people are unhappy with it. World environments cannot be changed at all, Sims are object-tied and can't have activities without something to "stick" them to, they don't have proper reactions and behaviors, they don't acknowledge the presence and behaviors of other Sims unless under specific circumstances, they don't have memories of anything they experience, they can't even properly share a bed and cuddle together when they sleep because they are routed to a specific space on either one side of the bed or the other... There are so many, many things that are restricted now on this multiplayer engine that we had in all the past games.

People just want the game that they know and love to return. This means full dedication to a proper game engine built for simulation.
    #Team Occult
  • LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    My apologies, I didn't make it clear that I just meant general multi-player games rather than life simulation ones. Options are of course good, as long as they are indeed optional and not Hobson's choice.
    edited July 2019
    Ivyeyed wrote: »

If they were going to add a multiplayer feature they should just do it with Sims 4 because the engine can accommodate it already. A modder has somewhat accomplished this. Or, they could do a side game using Sims 4's engine.

The reason that people don't want Sims 5 to be multiplayer at all is because the engine has to be built for it. This means that it will determine how the general game is played and what can be done. Sims 4 was built on a multiplayer engine and the gameplay is very restricting in a lot of ways compared to previous games and it's a huge reason why a lot of people are unhappy with it. World environments cannot be changed at all, Sims are object-tied and can't have activities without something to "stick" them to, they don't have proper reactions and behaviors, they don't acknowledge the presence and behaviors of other Sims unless under specific circumstances, they don't have memories of anything they experience, they can't even properly share a bed and cuddle together when they sleep because they are routed to a specific space on either one side of the bed or the other... There are so many, many things that are restricted now on this multiplayer engine that we had in all the past games.

People just want the game that they know and love to return. This means full dedication to a proper game engine built for simulation.

Yeah, but most of those problems come from an attempt to be more massive multiplayer than small co-op. I’ve yet to see a suggestion for the game that couldn’t work for multiplayer if they were willing to rethink how to implement it. I don’t expect it, and if given the choice between good single player and any multiplayer, would choose single-player. But I think people were so burned by the Sims 4 bad design decisions that they’re willing to throw the baby out with the bath water. Just because an idea was once poorly implemented and incomplete doesn’t mean it couldn’t be done well.

I mean. This is EA we’re talking about. I get why people are hedging their bets. I don’t trust them with much of anything. But blaming the feature itself for EA’s consistent failure to deliver on execution isn’t fair. It isn’t the concept of multiplayer itself that messed with the engine, it’s the borked way they were intended to implement it (with mandatory online and too closed off an implementation).

Listen, I get the inclination completely to not expect much, and to expect so little you try to guard your favorite features for fear of losing them instead of being optimistic for new features. But it’s a false dichotomy. And what I see happening especially, is people who want certain features getting harped on because the desire for those features (an open world or color wheel or whatever) is seen as an infringement on a different player’s favorite feature, and so what someone else’s wants feel like a threat to *their* game. And that’s a sign of how much the corporation has let the community down. In times of fear people turn to conservative (not politics) thinking, instead of optimistic thinking. Thinking that’s about fear of loss instead of hope for gains.

But it’s painful to see a good idea (any good idea) shot down because people are scared or too recently burned by failure or disappointment. It’s the execution, not the idea, that’s the problem.

And yes, eventually choices will have to be made. No game can be everything. But given we haven’t even confirmed a Sims 5 exists, now feels like the time to be pie-in-the-sky about what could be done if EA suddenly gained some passion and ambition and wanted to deliver something really good.

Multiplayer doesn’t have to be the things people associate with it. It doesn’t. If executed well there’s no reason the option would need to keep out cuddling or memories (why would it need to eliminate memories for Pete’s sake???) or world editing (both Minecraft and Don’t Starve have unique worlds in literally every save, and that’s never been a problem!) or any of those beloved missing features.

And regardless, there’s no threat from me really wanting it because they’re never gonna try again anyway.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I wouldn't buy it if it was a multiplayer game. I don't want anyone messing with my sims, houses, or worlds. I like playing alone and hate that mosts games are going online.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
    edited July 2019
    I wouldn't buy it if it was a multiplayer game. I don't want anyone messing with my sims, houses, or worlds. I like playing alone and hate that mosts games are going online.

okay, but if multiplayer were an option that you never had to use, and the game was first and foremost a robust singleplayer experience, would you still not buy it?
    Sometimes I stream.

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    When we had Sims on line - all the way to EA land all 4 of those sims online were multi-player only, both devs and Will Wright said the Sims games were too big to have both a good single player campaign and a multi-player in the same game and said then it would never have a single player campaign in a game designed for playing Sims Online - so you can forget having a good single player if it is a Sims online game.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    @Ivyeyed I guess it would depend on how the multiplayer part was implemented. I just don't see how they could make a great game that featured both. Honestly, if they were to make a multiplayer game it should be separate to the offline game. That way they both are made to support what they are intended to do.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
    edited July 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    When we had Sims on line - all the way to EA land all 4 of those sims online were multi-player only, both devs and Will Wright said the Sims games were too big to have both a good single player campaign and a multi-player in the same game and said then it would never have a single player campaign in a game designed for playing Sims Online - so you can forget having a good single player if it is a Sims online game.

That game ended 11 years ago. It launched 17 years ago. I think it's possible someone today could do a better job.
    Sometimes I stream.

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    EA Land which was the 4th version was not 17 years ago. 11 years ago.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-sims-online-reborn-as-ea-land/1100-6186790/

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited July 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    EA Land which was the 4th version was not 17 years ago. 11 years ago.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-sims-online-reborn-as-ea-land/1100-6186790/

It still ended 11 years ago? Which is what I said in my post? And was just a rebrand/relaunch of the original game? And had no family gameplay? And is not representative of what modern online gaming can be?

ETA: Also it was an MMO, which I have said several times at this point is not at all what I'm talking about when I say multiplayer.
    Sometimes I stream.

They thought about having another online game before TS4 but after the Sim City 2013 backlash they remade 'Olympus' into TS4. That itself has had very mixed reactions from players
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg