Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For players who use $ cheats , what are your gameplay objectives?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    RIP-Troika-GamesRIP-Troika-Games Posts: 221 Member
    I don't like gardening very much and my sims never have a lot of money @RIP-Troika-Games

Well, after I got seasons it's likely he will get less from it, because of the way seasons changed gardening. But then I likely focus more on his violin playing. It's soon max skilled so he gets a lot of tips. Most creative skills pays very well, like painting, writing and woodworking when your handiness is high. And of course careers at the higher ranks. So I haven't really needed to cheat for money. I have more struggle with having my sims stay poor or average :D .
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    In general, I'm playing out a story for my Sims. For instance, I will cheat the needs of my Global Superstar before he goes to perform. I used to have to cheat up any toddler's need in the household because invariably, when I followed my Rock Star to watch him perform, even though the mother was left in charge, the tot's needs tanked into red! Or, if she came along, too, and the wee one(s) was sent to Daycare, their needs still tanked. I would have to cheat them up and then disable decay. I'm very glad that Sacrificial in his Road to Fame mod allows for an away concert, which is a rabbit hole. I can then have the best of both worlds. He performs, earning § for his family, and I can see to it his wife takes care of their children.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Everything, but making money. Creating a home, working on skills and aspirations, relationships with other Sims. It is to create a story unique to this one Sim and/or family of Sims. Playing with genetics, trying out mods and CC. Heaps of stuff.

I know that making money is a primary goal in many other games to be able to acquire better gear, mounts and whatnot. But it is never a goal of mine in The Sims. With an easy cheat offered and meant to be used in this manner, there is little point.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited July 2019
    I have a character who existed before The Sims, and he was rich, so I decided to give him additional money. Otherwise, I enjoy starting them with the regular amount. I also had fun playing a character who had been disinherited from his rich family, so I had him start out with zero. I do sometimes use FreeRealEstate so I can use cute houses from the gallery, but I choose more modest ones that might cost more because of creative landscaping or something.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    If this were a game with a finite end point and clearly defined goals, then I would never use cheats to achieve the goals and finish the game. But this is a game about experiences and stories. The cheats are designed to let you open up your imagination within the sandbox environment not to skip essentials or to give you an advantage in a competitive sense.

I am very strict about sticking to challenge rules if I do one (and nearly all of them require cheats at least initially to set up the storyline). But I play for imagination creativity stories and screenshots on a more regular basis

I don't see any difference in cheating to set up your sim as penniless or cheating to set them up as rich. You are setting up a start point and there are no game rules to break except those you set yourself. The game and experience is meant to be a sandbox where we define the rules and parameters we play under. I cant cheat someone else by using cheats as we are not competing in or for anything. (Unless claiming to have finished a challenge where following the same rules and conditions is important).

Playing in a one style rigid manner would be cheating myself of all the richness the game has to offer in terms of gameplay, building and experiences. How others play doesn't effect me at all and therefore not something which worries me.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited July 2019
    I forgot to mention that I like to use the money cheat to offset the ridiculous cost of fences. Without it, you basically can’t have a fence around the yard of a starter house, which is weird to me.

So whatever cost the fence adds, I reimburse my sims for it.
  • Options
    BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    I could not cheat more if I tried lmao. I care more about how my sims interact and what they do, I like the freedom to make my stories happen without having to have the accompanying grind. If the story says this sim is as poor as dirt, they are. If it says they are never going to work again, but they are going to be a playboy/girl then they can do that too. Real life has enough money worries, the sims is a place I don't have to bother about that, I can have fantastic gardeners, mad scientists who marry aliens to purely experiment on their spawn, and vegetarian vampires living in the sunniest places possible as a bid to get away from other vamps. Money in real life is an illusion that gives those who have the feeling they have some control over their lives, and those who don't, it gives them misery. I'm not playing that in my game. Even when I have played games starting with nothing and working for everything, I've cheated need motives because hey, little sim, you're poor but at least you aren't exhausted all the time. In real life I'm terrible at cheating board games, I steal all the money out of the monopoly cache the moment I can and sit on it. Draughts are a nightmare and never play cards with me, I'm evil. Honestly I find most games are more fun if you can cheat, and also, I get a kick out of the outrage that it causes and delight in others who cheat with me...I guess I just don't deal well with rules lol
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    For me it's the story I'm telling. I don't care about the gameplay, it gets in the way of what I want to do so I give them everything so I can do what I want. I can still pretend they're poor, but I can move them anywhere I want.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    edited July 2019
    Like many others, it's the story that drives my games and the characters (which dictates what type of job they get, which type of house and so on without having to worry about money), building and maintaining relationships and all that, maxing skills depending on whether they fit to the character (I sometimes wish we could do something like block skills for sims indiviually, cause often a sim gains a skill that does not fit its character for example the wellness skill is a skill not every sims should have imho).

And I build alot, it's sorta 50/50 of livemode and building, I love building the world.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    The storyline and realistic game play.

I try to have a diverse financial neighbourhood, so some of the Sims are rich, while others are poor. I use money cheats both to add and remove money from Sims depending on that Sims financial situation. It just doesn't make sense to me to have every Sim in the world start out in the exact same financial situation.

The ones I remove money from, I usually play a more rags to riches style
    The ones I add it to, while they are all diff really, and I focus on the storyline I am creating. Some are really rich because they are celebrities, or even royalty, some I just give them enough to get them where I want to be, like I have one Sim starting a daycare. I cheated to have enough to buy the daycare but no extra so I can start my story at the point where she's just opening it. etc etc
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I mostly use money cheats when moving a household into the home I have set up for them, but other than that I rarely have need to since my sims typically earn enough themselves after that initial bit of help. For me The Sims is all about telling/play out my own stories. I also enjoy building skills and completing aspirations that suit the personality of my sims, but primarily it's all about playing out their lives/story and relationships.
  • Options
    secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    To play with different parts of the game. For example I just got Get to Work and wanted to play with the doctor career. I wanted to get a nice basic house set up so she got her bars re-greened easily when not working. This is so I could focus on the doctor part, and not on basic green bar management.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited July 2019
    I only cheat to give them a house with everything and then see if they can make it on their own after that . But I drop their money down and have them either paint or work to pay bills.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641