January 27th- It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

Does EA care about loyal players?

Comments

  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,110 Member
    Isn't it the same across the entire business world? Companies always offer incentives to new customers and forget the old ones.

    Insurance policies are always cut for new customers to draw them in, broadband offers, TV offers, even banks go around offering free stuff to new customers.

    I'm sure that EA are just the same as anyone else - they want to drum up new business to gain more income. In my mind, it is normal business practice.

    I've chosen to buy their products since the days of the original sims and have taken advantage of freebies and offers when the chance arose (mainly the sims 3 store).

    As for sales, it would not make sense to put the newest release on sale. Obviously people would never pay full price if they knew they didn't have long to wait for a sale. You can always wait longer or shop around if you want a discount.
  • storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    If this is the biggest problem some of you all face in life... I'm envious.
  • JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    edited July 2019
    I’d agree that EA itself doesn’t care, but the people working behind the scenes do care. Probably, if not most likely, they are in touch with players needs, but the bottom line is what EA wants full filled. My brother used to work for EA and is a huge gamer, but low wages and the inability to see their workforce’s talents is what made him quit.
    Post edited by JC1979 on
  • KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    Nope it's all about the money first they was all about teenager and social media now that didn't work they are going after children.
    everything they do is get income going. As someone who played Sims 1 and is now playing Sims 4 I feel bittersweet about this.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Actually that lie that EA doesn't care is how I joined Twitch because of rumors. I got lonely on forums after awhile and wanted to see what the Gurus were really like beyond their title even though I had talked to a few on forums. So yes I admit I have been personally thanked along with other Simmers for being a loyal Simmer over the years when I was talking about how long I have been Simming with other Simmers in a Twitch chat. Now for answering the numbered sections.

    1) I work full time and I'm careful with money so I don't mind sales. It is a smart business move not to buy products right away and wait for sales instead of giving into the hype. I have bought some packs not on sale.

    2) I don't mind color, I love it. Yes I think the Gurus can pull off a color wheel for CAS/build/buy mode especially with how well the pet one came out.

    3) Yeah I don't give into the marketing ploys. I've played the Sims long enough to know what is a new idea or not and knew Seasons and Pets would be popular packs. Sims 2 and 3 still have my favorite packs of those themes because they did bring enough new ideas to advance the franchise. Sims 4 versions well not so much although I adore the calendar which is a fresh idea. I also know that not all the Gurus have been working on the game since the Sims 1, so they don't have the knowledge, experience, and sometimes not the memory of those iterations. That is where I think good communication can come into play so Simmers can say what they loved from past packs and come up with new ideas for themes and packs. It is something I think about when coming up with ideas like Atlantis underwater neighborhood.

    4) EA Game Changers are not influencers like the old influencer program. They have just as much impact as any other Simmer when it comes to the Sims 4. They help showcase packs and some do ask Simmers in Twitch with real time chat what each person thinks of a pack or patch. One I'm good friends with even playtested the off-the-grid items to see which items worked or didn't work and going to live up to their game changer title by bringing out their research to Maxis themselves. I am tired of Simmers assuming what makes someone a fan or loyal player to the Sims. Each Simmer lives up to their own merit of what they think about the game and the franchise. So silly to put a label to it. To me, the game changers are normal people and many of them I have been talking to long before they got Twitch Partnered or became a Game Changer. I enjoy their company and made many friends within their communities that I enjoy playing other games like Farm Together with.

    5) Yeah something I have noticed too and honestly I don't mind it especially since some Simmers will buy a pack having a certain object, but don't like a theme, so they have more options. It is something I have noticed since the Sims 1 and 2 days. I just think that My First Pet Stuff pack was the worst carryover of this happening seeing that it could have been combined with Cats and Dogs to make a more complete EP. I do think Stuff Packs are useless and the biggest examples of objects being reused by just recoloring especially with the clothes and furniture.

    Anyway, I've been called many labels with the Sims community and haven't always had the best experience within it. My best advice I can give anyone is don't believe rumors. Use your brain, find out facts, and get to really know people before passing judgements. Some people will grow on you, some will leave you like a piece of trash. Branch out and you never know what doors or what adventures you will go on. If I had been told five years ago that I would have the friends I have today, I would have thought it would have been crazy. I wouldn't trade them for a moment and cherish the friendships I've made on forums too. For me being called a nobody, I have met people who have accepted me for myself, gone on many adventures in games, and have laughed so hard I start snorting. I also found out I have leadership skills and can be my own voice within the Sims community and gotten ideas and shared other Simmers ideas that have made it into the game itself. As Galaxy Quest quotes it "Never Give Up, Never Surrender!" but I would add don't forget to make friends and go on adventures along the way too and always show other people love even if you disagree with them. Some of the best friendships can come out of those disagreements.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    Awesome my friend, Scobre.

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Awesome my friend, Scobre.
    Yep so glad I met you. :) Hope that you are doing well.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    LiesSim wrote: »
    catitude5 wrote: »
    There is a new life simulation game in development now called Paralives, it's open world, cars. EA needs some competition or there is no incentive to make this better.

    I saw a video on Paralives' building system yesterday, it's looking quite good to be honest. It seems to have a lot of potential (the building aspect, I didn't see any gameplay). EA needs to step up their game.
    I really hope they’ll manage to give that game gameplay that will be in depth, fun, not needing additions to be enjoyable. I love the building tools and cars and open world, but that mustn’t be all there is to it.
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    LiesSim wrote: »
    catitude5 wrote: »
    There is a new life simulation game in development now called Paralives, it's open world, cars. EA needs some competition or there is no incentive to make this better.

    I saw a video on Paralives' building system yesterday, it's looking quite good to be honest. It seems to have a lot of potential (the building aspect, I didn't see any gameplay). EA needs to step up their game.

    Seems if any stepping up is needed - it needs to be Paralives - as EA has already proven themselves with 20 years of the Sims. Try comparing when Paralives has 20 years under their belt - Maybe they ought to at least get to the finish line and distribute the goods before you go patting them on the back. They are not the first in a long line of those who tried and failed to deliver a decent life simulation game over the last 20 years - keep that in mind. Seems like they are all good until it comes to the process of finalizing and delivering. Then you can harp when they can at least do that and it excels what you have had for the last 20 years. Means not a darn thing - just in production...
    I don’t think we’ll need to wait 20 years before we can compare. If this game will be any good, that’s all it’s going to need for me.

    Well you used to think Maxis Sims Series was the Cat's pajamas and during those 20 years apparently changed your mind. So they need 20 years to see how you see it in 20 years... to be fair anyway. New things are always great - but to compare you need staying power.
    As for me personally, no. Though Sims 1 had some very addictive aspects for me and I was very impressed, after one long playing session I never opened the game again. Sims 2 I missed. Sims 3 for me was what baby bear was to Goldilocks. If this new life simulation game will be that too, I’m not going to wait for 20 years to see if they can keep up the good work. I’ll just buy and play and enjoy. If it will be remains to be seen of course, if you mean “it’s really hard to develop a good Sims game”, I couldn’t agree more.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    storyy wrote: »
    If this is the biggest problem some of you all face in life... I'm envious.
    It isn’t. As it happens I know one critical player who’s going through a horrible time right now for reasons unrelated to Sims. It is possible to care about a game and having a hard time unrelated to that at the same time.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • GooseyGoosey Posts: 298 Member
    edited May 2022
         
    Post edited by Goosey on

    Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    They have focused on new players ever since the loyal players saved this game from being cancelled.

    The game sold 5 million in less than 18 months. It can't be just "loyal" fans as the Sims 2 sold 6 million in its entire lifespan (at least as of 2012) when game piracy was astoundingly lower than when Sims 4 launched.

    There was more than "loyal" fans keeping it afloat and the game was never close to being cancelled.

    While it's subjective which game is better, there's no denying that The Sims 4 focused on the things that the general public desire most;

    - Good looking Sims, with a easy way to make them. Aesthetically pleasing rather than 2 & 3 which left a lot to be desired.
    - A game that can run on their Windows Tablet or 4k on their Super PC and still look good on both.
    - A build mode that makes building actually enjoyable rather than frustrating.
    - A in-game gallery designed after Social Media which means there's popularity in peoples builds, and finally;
    - A game that takes after a very traditional Sims experience that people want (meaning it's very similar to how The Sims 1 presented itself to the public). There's a reason why The Sims 1 is still the most popular Sims game of all time, and the Sims 4 is probably close second at this rate. It doesn't take itself seriously, and it's quirky and fun.

    A lot of the "loyal fanbase" want more of a Sims 2/3 experience which left a lot of the quirky stuff from The Sims 1 behind. The Sims 4 brings a lot of that back, while ditching a lot of the other gameplay that 2 & 3 brought.

    The Sims 4 is much closer to The Sims Bustin Out for example, than The Sims 2 and 3. But the public ate The Sims Bustin Out up like crazy and EA even re-released it just before The Sims 3 came out despite it being a Sims 1 game (they re-released it in 2008 with all the new EA branding despite The Urbz & Sims 2 for console never getting any of this rebranding). The discs and booklet were even updated.

    It's also no coincidence that EA re-released Bustin Out the same year they started working on The Sims 4. The Sims 2 will always be the better game, as it focused on in-depth simulation over RPG kind of gameplay 3 & 4 have, but EA are clearly catering to the audience that kept buying Bustin Out for so long despite it being a console only, stand alone game.
    That's what the public want.

    EA can say all they want that they care about the Simmers etc. but it is the public that make a game successful or not. The loyal fanbase are just along for the ride. But it's definitely the public who are keeping this game afloat, hence the rebrand. Loyal fans don't need a rebrand nor understand it.

  • February11February11 Posts: 12,090 Member
    Going back to the original question, I think yes, why otherwise would the bother adding/making any improvements, whether peoples opinions think they are improvements or not.
    It seems to me there are a lot of people who don't just appreciate what they have or are given, and expect far too much.
    *cowers from barrage of abuse*
    I THINK, THEREFORE I AM, I THINK

  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019
    February11 wrote: »
    Going back to the original question, I think yes, why otherwise would the bother adding/making any improvements, whether peoples opinions think they are improvements or not.
    It seems to me there are a lot of people who don't just appreciate what they have or are given, and expect far too much.
    *cowers from barrage of abuse*
    If a lot of people don’t appreciate what they are ‘given’, maybe the gift isn’t all that good? And if it concerns features and quality they did get in the past, maybe it isn’t expecting far too much either. That doesn’t mean everybody has to agree by the way. Everybody here is free to have a mind and opinion of their own.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,090 Member
    edited July 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    February11 wrote: »
    Going back to the original question, I think yes, why otherwise would the bother adding/making any improvements, whether peoples opinions think they are improvements or not.
    It seems to me there are a lot of people who don't just appreciate what they have or are given, and expect far too much.
    *cowers from barrage of abuse*
    If a lot of people don’t appreciate what they are ‘given’, maybe the gift isn’t all that good? And if it concerns features and quality they did get in the past, maybe it isn’t expecting far too much either. That doesn’t mean everybody has to agree by the way. Everybody here is free to have a mind and opinion of their own.

    Point taken.
    I'm happy, I've no complaints. My game runs well, I don't have a problem with the new interface/loading screens. I'm not keen on the blue Sims4 logo on the header here, but all in all, I'm happy - but then I don't own every EP, SP etc etc, I only have Get To Work, Get Together, Seasons and Island Living, so I guess I'm not in need of more than what I already have invested in.
    I THINK, THEREFORE I AM, I THINK

  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    > @JoAnne65 said:
    > February11 wrote: »
    >
    > Going back to the original question, I think yes, why otherwise would the bother adding/making any improvements, whether peoples opinions think they are improvements or not.
    > It seems to me there are a lot of people who don't just appreciate what they have or are given, and expect far too much.
    > *cowers from barrage of abuse*
    >
    >
    >
    > If a lot of people don’t appreciate what they are ‘given’, maybe the gift isn’t all that good? And if it concerns features and quality they did get in the past, maybe it isn’t expecting far too much either. That doesn’t mean everybody has to agree by the way. Everybody here is free to have a mind and opinion of their own.

    I like this comment a lot. I tend to stay away from the "rail against EA" bandwagon. Sure they have their own way of doing things and not everyone is going to agree with it but they have created solid games over the years, they had something good going with dead space but due to a lack of sales it got canned in the end, while it was sad to see that go, i can understand that in the end it didn't make any business sense to bleed money out like that and visceral games ended being an arm of EA when they cut it off.

    They still got Bioware, but Anthem and MEA weren't really their biggest and best either, SWTOR is still going but at a reduced capacity from previous years and an unnamed dragon age game in the works. Still you look back and EA has had an incredble few years with the ME trilogy and DA as well, those selled really well and were very popular.

    so in the end, you'll always have this conversation rolling around about what EA does, but the facts are that they doo great games for the most part.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    February11 wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    February11 wrote: »
    Going back to the original question, I think yes, why otherwise would the bother adding/making any improvements, whether peoples opinions think they are improvements or not.
    It seems to me there are a lot of people who don't just appreciate what they have or are given, and expect far too much.
    *cowers from barrage of abuse*
    If a lot of people don’t appreciate what they are ‘given’, maybe the gift isn’t all that good? And if it concerns features and quality they did get in the past, maybe it isn’t expecting far too much either. That doesn’t mean everybody has to agree by the way. Everybody here is free to have a mind and opinion of their own.

    Point taken.
    I'm happy, I've no complaints. My game runs well, I don't have a problem with the new interface/loading screens. I'm not keen on the blue Sims4 logo on the header here, but all in all, I'm happy - but then I don't own every EP, SP etc etc, I only have Get To Work, Get Together, Seasons and Island Living, so I guess I'm not in need of more than what I already have invested in.
    (and @Hoverael )
    For Sims 3 it was the same. Many people hate the game, I love it. But still many of the complaints about that game I share. I think quite a few of those complaints are caused by circumstances that could have been avoided (rush, mainly, I think). Still, overall I’m so very grateful that game was made, with all its flaws, it’s given me so much fun over the years and it made me meet so many nice people that shared my hobby (to this day, even when we may differ as to which version is our favourite). And for Sims 4 it’s the same. Some love it, some don’t (I definitely don’t hate the game myself by the way, I’m convinced I’d play it more often if Sims 3 wouldn’t exist, I do enjoy it when I play). That doesn’t mean the game doesn’t “deserve” any criticism though. At the end of the day we will all benefit from that if the devs listen to what they can alter or fix (the loading screens being the latest example).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Glad to learn that they change the loading screen color to an even darker hue. But to change it from white in the first place was even better. My light-sensitive eyes and white just don't go hand in hand.

    I could argue that this decision of theirs is still based on a financial ground. As there will be a loss of profit if people don't buy the game, because of an epilepsi inducing loading screen. But I'm being provocative now :wink:


    Origin ID: Nindigo79

    A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,104 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    They have focused on new players ever since the loyal players saved this game from being cancelled.

    The game sold 5 million in less than 18 months. It can't be just "loyal" fans as the Sims 2 sold 6 million in its entire lifespan (at least as of 2012) when game piracy was astoundingly lower than when Sims 4 launched.

    There was more than "loyal" fans keeping it afloat and the game was never close to being cancelled.

    While it's subjective which game is better, there's no denying that The Sims 4 focused on the things that the general public desire most;

    - Good looking Sims, with a easy way to make them. Aesthetically pleasing rather than 2 & 3 which left a lot to be desired.
    - A game that can run on their Windows Tablet or 4k on their Super PC and still look good on both.
    - A build mode that makes building actually enjoyable rather than frustrating.
    - A in-game gallery designed after Social Media which means there's popularity in peoples builds, and finally;
    - A game that takes after a very traditional Sims experience that people want (meaning it's very similar to how The Sims 1 presented itself to the public). There's a reason why The Sims 1 is still the most popular Sims game of all time, and the Sims 4 is probably close second at this rate. It doesn't take itself seriously, and it's quirky and fun.

    A lot of the "loyal fanbase" want more of a Sims 2/3 experience which left a lot of the quirky stuff from The Sims 1 behind. The Sims 4 brings a lot of that back, while ditching a lot of the other gameplay that 2 & 3 brought.

    The Sims 4 is much closer to The Sims Bustin Out for example, than The Sims 2 and 3. But the public ate The Sims Bustin Out up like crazy and EA even re-released it just before The Sims 3 came out despite it being a Sims 1 game (they re-released it in 2008 with all the new EA branding despite The Urbz & Sims 2 for console never getting any of this rebranding). The discs and booklet were even updated.

    It's also no coincidence that EA re-released Bustin Out the same year they started working on The Sims 4. The Sims 2 will always be the better game, as it focused on in-depth simulation over RPG kind of gameplay 3 & 4 have, but EA are clearly catering to the audience that kept buying Bustin Out for so long despite it being a console only, stand alone game.
    That's what the public want.

    EA can say all they want that they care about the Simmers etc. but it is the public that make a game successful or not. The loyal fanbase are just along for the ride. But it's definitely the public who are keeping this game afloat, hence the rebrand. Loyal fans don't need a rebrand nor understand it.

    @jackjack_k the game didn’t sell that much that quickly. Doing a google search on ‘Sims 4 5m’ the first dated post is in 2017. Hard to follow the rest of your post when you start off with something that is just not true. Don’t @ me for long posts that aren’t OT plz and definitely don’t tag me for lies.
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,539 Member
    storyy wrote: »
    If this is the biggest problem some of you all face in life... I'm envious.

    This isn't the biggest problem I, nor anyone else face in life. I'm simply stating my opinion on a forum dedicated to this specific topic.

    If you don't have anything constructive to contribute to the conversation, I kindly ask you refrain from commenting.
  • ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    Wait I thought we were aware that EA doesn't give a dime about us. They only care about the dime itself.

    That being said, looking forward to Paralives.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    ElenPink wrote: »
    Wait I thought we were aware that EA doesn't give a dime about us. They only care about the dime itself.

    That being said, looking forward to Paralives.

    Pleeeeease let it be released.
  • ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    ElenPink wrote: »
    Wait I thought we were aware that EA doesn't give a dime about us. They only care about the dime itself.

    That being said, looking forward to Paralives.

    Pleeeeease let it be released.

    I'm sure it will be. He is now making 13k a year on Patreon. Btw, he quit his job to work on it. So I have high hopes.

    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    storyy wrote: »
    If this is the biggest problem some of you all face in life... I'm envious.

    This isn't the biggest problem I, nor anyone else face in life. I'm simply stating my opinion on a forum dedicated to this specific topic.

    If you don't have anything constructive to contribute to the conversation, I kindly ask you refrain from commenting.
    I did not buy Dine Out for one hairstyle or Get Famous for a couple of tops. I bought them because of the gameplay and systems they added to the game. As far as I know, there's no in-depth fame system or way to own a restaurant with just the base game. I do not feel like I've had something taken away from me or that I've been cheated. I don't feel like I had to pay all this money for content that they're now just giving away for free.

    EA doesn't care about us as long as we keep buying their product. Your money is your vote, as they say. Unhappy? Don't give them your business. Now the Sims Team - I believe they do care about their players. I've been enthusiastically, loyally, and happily playing The Sims since 2000. I have purchased every Sims 4 product on Origin with my own money, on sale or not, because I love this game and all that gets added. I don't care about vampires and I still bought the pack because I loved the CAS and Build/Buy items. If they suddenly made it all free, I wouldn't go crying asking for my money back or why the Sims team/EA doesn't care about me. They're just rehashing things that already exist and letting other people enjoy them. I don't understand why some people can't just let people have things without popping a blood vessel.

    Did this same crisis occur when the base game was FREE? or $5, or $10? I convinced a couple of people to get the game when it was free and became so aware of how lacking the base game is in terms of CAS/BB that I was worried they'd hate it. I'm glad, as a "loyal" player, having spent hundreds of real life money on these games, that they're adding things in for free for those people who don't have all the DLC.

    A more blatantly constructive contribution: Let people have nice things. It helps new players become "loyal" players.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    @storyy

    You're right, I geninuely do believe the developers in The Sims Team do care about us - I am sure they want to be more creative but EA is likely restricting them

    EA is a different story
  • storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    @storyy

    You're right, I geninuely do believe the developers in The Sims Team do care about us - I am sure they want to be more creative but EA is likely restricting them

    EA is a different story
    Exactly. Honestly The Sims Team has even said there's things they wish they could talk about but they're legally not allowed to say anything regarding specific topics. EA has the final say in much of what their subsidiaries release. The Sims franchise is probably one of the biggest games keeping the company afloat besides some of the more robust RPGs. The Sims Team is a team. EA is a corporation.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top