Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Relationships and consequences

Comments

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    The thing is that when a pregnant sim shares big news the reaction from others is always good. Like if she shared the big news with an ex or someone that wouldn't want her to have a baby, I would think they would be sad, angry or any other reaction other than excited. Or if a sim shares big news and the sim is not a big fan of the sim she had a baby with then the reaction shouldn't be positive.

Sometimes I want to tell a story of someone not being excited for the new baby.

Try sharing the "big news" with a sim daddy that has the hates children trait. It is built in possible to not always have a great reaction.

I've done that, and he still reacted with being excited.

Granted, there is always a percentage probability to every social interaction. In this case he had a much higher percentage probability to react positively in regards to his traits and moodlets.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    True, but for a sim that I created who dislikes children and is evil, that shouldn't be the reaction he had. I wanted a full blown melt down. :D
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• KittyKhajtKittyKhajt Posts: 1 New Member
    > @simmer_jay said:
    > But see this is the thing. The developers almost can't win. Let's say, in the case of the OP's situation, Mort was upset and divorced Bella. Many simmers would complain that they can't tell their own stories, and that situations are being forced on them.
    >
    > But then you get other players who want the game itself to put its own consequences in. Not judgement to other simmers, but I never understood the "I want to tell my own stories" argument. Like the OP, it feels forced and contrived. It's what I loved about the cats and dogs ep. The pets are totally surprising. You don't know what they're going to do. I still don't think I've seen every pet animation, in fact I know I haven't as I haven't started training dogs yet.
    >
    > So which is it? Player controlled drama, or uncontrolled drama from the game?

If they did a more balanced system it would be better for everyone. Literally half and half it. With autonomy and with more, realistic consequences.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I have to agree. I did the same thing recently with both Sims 2 & 3 and my sim having an affair with a married man had consequences. In Sims 4 I did a similar scenario where my sim who is single is having an affair with a married Sim in that sim's home with the spouse and kids in the home and the spouse hears nothing for the longest time then when the spouse walks in is angry for a day or two but no actual consequences for cheating. There need to be more emotional responses and consequences for a Sim's actions. Things like the Player reward and your sim cheating is one thing if the spouse is cool with it but my sim didn't have the player reward yet.

There really needs to be a better range of emotions with consequences for their actions. Whether it's an affair or your sim has been caught stealing or anything else a sim could do that would have serious ramifications for the actions.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    I've always hoped that the developers would be able to work in "personal" family trees, e.g. Bella Goth has an affair and gets pregnant, her own family tree would show that the baby has a different father, but on Mortimer's family tree, the baby is his own, because he has no reason to question it if he doesn't know about the affair, and if he does find out, his personal family tree would then change.

But maybe that's a bit too complex.
  • jamiebaby212jamiebaby212 Posts: 23 Member
    I totally agree with you! Even though its a game, I would like it to be a little more realistic in that sense
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I'm still mad at the Hecking guy who saw the tombstone of his beloved bulldog, shrugged and went to have a picnic. The dog died in its pee puddle! I deleted the save.

Back in sims 1, people were slapped for dancing with someone and I think complimenting was bad as well. In sims 2 university, the cow mascot broke so many relationships! I guess, now, we're to the other extreme of the pendulum. More ai, please!

It's like playing dull house.
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • Syd0514Syd0514 Posts: 1 New Member
    So I made my sim have an affair with Victor Feng on sims 4 city living. At first, the wife didn’t notice so I went to their house and made them woohoo while she was in the room and she was so angry that she died lol. But now my sim is mourning her death.....
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    In Sims 3 you better hid from your partner when you had an affair or they were gonna find out when you and the affair were making out in public. In Sims 4 nobody seems to care and that makes the Sims feel extremely shallow.
    a256aFi.gif
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I love how the emotions work in Sims 2 and in Sims 3. In my daughter's old Sims 2 save her one couple was married for a while, had four children, then she had the mother cheat. The dad found out, and was livid. He divorced her. All four of the kids hated her as well. The dad had the want to see her ghost. To drink her essence. And there was another want too. That cracked me up so hard.

In one of my Sims 3 saves. My male sim ended up cheating on his long time girlfriend. He was across town and was making out with some random townie. His girlfriend's friend seen him. I guess she must have call or did something because when he got home him and his girlfriend started arguing. End the end it took like 6 days but he got back in her good graces and they ended up marrying.

Sims 4, nothing like that remotely happens. I keep saying how it's like the Trueman Show or Leave it to Beaver. Everyone is happy go lucky. Nothing bad truly ever happens. And there are no negative consequences to actions. I mean, come on, there are no burglars. The Gurus need to bring these things back. It's a life simulation game. :D
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    I recall that Sims 2 had a fury system for major fallouts like fighting or cheating and similar things. The Sim that had wronged the furious Sim would have a red shade over their picture in the relationships panel for a few days or so, and any interactions with them for that duration would almost certainly have a negative result. Sims couldn't just high five one another until they were friends again straight after a bad event. Further more, negative interactions during that time would actually reset the fury timer, so you had to have them walk away for a good while to cool off before they could start on repairing a relationship.

Some could argue it takes a level of control away from the player, but it's temporary. There's a punishment in the form of drama, but it can be repaired later. That would have been much better than how Sims in 4 react now.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    Good to see people still discussing this. I believe it is still a huge flaw in the game and I am still hoping for a relationship stuff pack one day. There is so much material stuff in the game and I hope they can take a bit of a leap and start delving into the stuff packs going beyond material items. I think it would be a really great way to fix the things like relationships. It would also be kind of interesting to get a stuff pack based on our sims interactions rather than their wardrobe.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Sims 4 is just lacking in the drama aspect so much
    a256aFi.gif
  • gardenlobstergardenlobster Posts: 16 Member
    Your sims can cheat all day long, even getting caught, but boy howdy if you try to make someone you know a birthday cake when their caterer fails to do so at a birthday party, that's totally over the line. Out you go!
  • AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    I wrote several posts here in my very poor English and each of them were about the Sims relationships. I think, that cheating must have a consequences, especially for children, who playing TS4. For now I would not recommend this game for children and teens, because of the family and relationships portraits: dad cheats mom? No big deal! Mom brings home different man child? Who cares? Love and friendship!
    And I love Sims dramas! I remember, when my female Sim in TS2 flirt with another man, when her boyfriend sister was around! The sister was mad on my Sim, and the friendship between two ladies were over! Here? Nothing! Even children, when they see dad kissing other woman, are ok with that!
    This is a computer game, it must be little harder, complicated and the player must feel the consequences of his decisions. I loved this thrill when my Sim cheats his or her partner. Now it's boring...

For now I have a family, where dad is not very faithful (evil hacker with good reputation) and his wife is jealous and she hates children. He brings home his son and now I have little drama, because the wife hate this kid and she's angry every time when he speaks with this boy. But I must set their traits... Shame...
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Haven't read OP and replies below, but one thing I'm gonna leave is that I had my Sim get a selfie taken from their home with the Sim full red despised in the street.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • LuxuryLuxury Posts: 127 Member
    I hate that children aren't at all affected when their parents get divorced
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited June 2019
    The Sims 4 plays like the free love movement in the 60's and 70's. It seems to be more about sexual liberation and sexual freedom without consequences. I want consequences, like they had before.
  • rambahadoerrambahadoer Posts: 405 Member
    I completely agree and have posted so much about this and just hope that this will be updated this game is supposed to be about life and life had moments that are the worst but bc you/ sims have thosr moments great moments feel much more special and that’s life it has up’s and downs and the sims 4 fails to portray that i agree that in ts3 it was a little over the top bc your partner found out even if no one saw the actual affair happening but i’d much rather have that instead of la la land

What i want is when a sim find out there partner is cheating they will react in 3 different ways

If there relationship was good and maybe has traits like good or family oriented she will be sad and cry and try everything to repair the relationship

If the relationship was bad she will be sad but maybe a little relieved

And the third is they will be MAD and fight the sim you sims partner cheated with

As for kids they will be sad/angry at the parent that cheated and they will remember

And for the sim that cheated it will take hard work and dedication for that sim to rebuild those relationship’s if wants to do so

Now when your is arguing with another i DON’T want then to take selfies after i want them to become angry every time they run into them and if they want to smooth things over it should take some work

I also want our sims to be sad when fired and maybe even lash out a little to other sims

I hope i really really hope that this or some form of this will be implemented just give me some form of emotion and consequences or drama to break this ridiculous lala land PLEASE
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    This is what I would want the most. But honestly such an update would surprise me as it would require a ton of work on their part - it's much easier to add objects and specific animations tied to those objects, etc. to the game than it is to make the existing relationship system more complex. It's probably not worth it for them. :/
  • RavenchRavench Posts: 35 Member
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. It feels wholly unconvincing and completely breaks immersion when sims don't react in a somewhat realistic fashion when you let/make things like that happen in the game. Sim emotions truly aren't what we were promised by EA, they merely are placeholders, in the guise of buffs, for actual emotions. This problem makes sims and their lives feel shallow in my opinion. It's why I never play the Sims 4 for longer periods of time, it just get's so repetitive and boring, sadly.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,444 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    The Sims 4 plays like the free love movement in the 60's and 70's. It seems to be more about sexual liberation and sexual freedom without consequences. I want consequences, like they had before.

And very chaste and prudish free love at that. The steamy romantic interactions are only found in past Sims games. Sims 4 Sims "fish kiss" for crying out loud. Romances aren't even believable. :/
    #Team Occult
  • RavenchRavench Posts: 35 Member
    > @LiELF said:
    > Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    >
    > The Sims 4 plays like the free love movement in the 60's and 70's. It seems to be more about sexual liberation and sexual freedom without consequences. I want consequences, like they had before.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And very chaste and prudish free love at that. The steamy romantic interactions are only found in past Sims games. Sims 4 Sims "fish kiss" for crying out loud. Romances aren't even believable. :/

That's something I have noticed as well. In The Sims 2 the romantic interactions were pretty convincing and could actually be quite steamy leading up to the act of "woohoo", while in the Sims 3 and The Sims 4 especially these interactions are rather tame and and kind of fake looking (referring to the "fish kissing").
    The Sims games have been rated 12+ from the very beginning, so its hard to understand why 12 years olds suddenly wouldn't be able to handle
    some medium petting and kissing :/
  • DeadInsid3_plur2EDMDeadInsid3_plur2EDM Posts: 44 Member
    I literally googled like can a married sim date or something of that nature and this discussion is exactly what I needed. I've been having my girl not only date several people while married but have intercourse as well and even bring them to the house..nothing ever happened besides the husband only noticing once and idk how, I just got a moodlet that said embarrassed for getting caught cheating or something and that's it he was fine. I even had her send flirty texts to several people right infront of him, again nothing. So then I invited my gf over and not intentionally had her witness their fight which I think upset her and saw points lost or w.e so she left the room.

I had to intentionally make him argue with her yell at her call her momma a llama lmao and every action available then she was steaming like enraged so I had her push him and shove him and then somehow they end up still being flirty or confident after they were done fighting because of the stupid house traits or their stupid personal traits and cuz it was valentines day I decided to do this ...so then I did a cheat code and made them happy and had them fight except not to that extent and just had the husband yell (pretending he caught her sending flirty texts) then did the apologize by woohoo action (which that was awesome).

I just cant believe he doesn't know all she's done however since I have get famous him yelling at her and a sim witnessing it started to affect his reputation so maybe just maybe things will be a little better with this reputation system or maybe not.
  • RosenSherryRosenSherry Posts: 2 New Member
    I think maybe there's a consequence after all or maybe it's just a co-incidence, I'm not quite sure. I played Sims 4 a few days ago and I ruined my neighbor's family. I had my sims impregnated a neighbor's wife (which is an NPC because I only play my sims) then dumped her just to add a drama to the game.

Then I switched to play other family I created (my main sims) for a week or two in the game... and then I decided to check the neighbor's wife for the first time. I found that she already gave birth to a son, she hasn't divorced but the romantic bar is red, the green bar half depleted, her relationship with her husband was destroyed but they are still husband and wife. The husband was not sad. He and his biological daughter and son and took care of the newborn well. I was surprised.