Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ideas to make the game (realistically) challenging

WenzelWenzel Posts: 75 Member
My apologies if a similar topic already exists. All the existing and past "challenges" (a la rags to riches) make searching for such a topic rather difficult.

As I find it boring just to play out stories that I've made up, and sims are devoid of any inner character, I was wondering about ways to add some challenge to the game. I know that some people like to set themselves very unrealistic/funny goals. But I'd rather prefer to keep the game a bit more realistic and "serious". So here are a few thoughts. Let me know what you think or add your own ideas/suggestions!
  • keep "normal" aging or even choose "fast" aging
  • increase the time it takes to increase skills (via MCC)
  • increase the cost for living (increase bills via MCC)
  • don't manually put dishes into the sink
  • don't buy reward traits/potions
  • when you sell/get rid of objects, reduce your money accordingly [use a cheat to subtract funds]. Right now, the game gives you back 80% of the sold object's original price, which is pretty insane.
  • when splitting households, get rid of the free extra 20.000 Simoleons that you get for some magical reason [use a cheat to subtract funds]
  • keep the budgets of sims who live on the same lot but are not family seperate (this requires you to take manual notes...)
  • Restrict social interactions to realistic durations. Don't just chat with someone for 3 hours. Don't spam interactions until you reach the desired outcome; 2-3 interactions are enough for an ordinary chatting situation. Also: allow the target sim to do one interaction of his own before you trigger another social interaction. Relationships should build up more slowly and the outcome of a single social interaction should matter more.
  • Buying clothes: Either go to a retail store, where buying clothes will cost actual money, or pay for any new outfit you create and use. [use a cheat to subtract funds]
  • Use a mod that disables all the positive moodles that you get from environment objects. A mod I can suggest in general is this one: https://roburky.itch.io/sims4-meaningful-stories

As you can see, the ways that these suggestions increase the challenge is either by reducing the time available to a sim (he can't accomplish all his goals in life before he dies; he has to make decisions) or his money.

Comments

• EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited July 2019
    You can use the SNB mod for individual accounts and there are a couple of different mods (ATM or SimCity Loans) to allow credit or loans (good if you want to move out a sim or start a business etc.)
  • WenzelWenzel Posts: 75 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    You can use the SNB mod for individual accounts and there are a couple of different mods (ATM or SimCity Loans) to allow credit or loans (good if you want to move out a sim or start a business etc.)

Thanks a lot! I will definitively give it a try!
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited July 2019
    This is a returning topic. I think there was one recently...a few pages back.

My best advice when someone gets bored with their game, is to walk away and try something else for a while. I will never see the point of trying to force a game to entertain when it clearly cannot. I know of someone who has played the same game day in and day out for years, and they are always grumpy and feeling dissatisfied because of it. Why waste precious time with this self-torture?

When it happens to myself, I have no qualms leaving The Sims dormant for months even, while I rotate between a handful of other games that I usually come to feel the same about. Then all of a sudden, I feel Sims-inspired anew and return to either an old exsisting household or create something new.

When I feel my frustrations with the game take over, it's time to look for something else. Afterall, it's time I won't get back. Life is too short to spend it willingly on something that makes me unhappy.

Personally, I never play the challenges out there created by others. One surefire way to get me fed up with something is to impose rules on me. I have commitment issues :D But I enjoy trying out new mods that seem either crazy or controversial. I enjoy making and playing with unorthodox families and Sims. I can also hit a building mood, where I spend most of the time designing. Other times, I feel like exploring genetics or Costum Content. Or everything all at once. It's pretty easy to undo any chaos.

So, I suppose you actually mean 'entertaining' when you say challenging. Because it's all in the entertainment, right?

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

edited July 2019
    Nindigo wrote: »
    My best advice when someone gets bored with their game, is to walk away and try something else for a while. I will never see the point of trying to force a game to entertain when it clearly cannot. I know of someone who has played the same game day in and day out for years, and they are always grumpy and feeling dissatisfied because of it. Why waste precious time with this self-torture?

When it happens to myself, I have no qualms leaving The Sims dormant for months even, while I rotate between a handful of other games that I usually come to feel the same about. Then all of a sudden, I feel Sims-inspired anew and return to either an old exsisting household or create something new.

When I feel my frustrations with the game take over, it's time to look for something else. Afterall, it's time I won't get back. Life is too short to spend it willingly on something that makes me unhappy.

I never start playing the game as long as I find it boring! So actually, these are my tips to make the game interesting in the first place.
    If you wonder why I even bought the game, it's because of the build mode, which is pretty good. :) I'm just searching for ways how I can also enjoy the other, the "gameplay" part of The Sims.
    So, I suppose you actually mean 'entertaining' when you say challenging. Because it's all in the entertainment, right?

Well no. The topic was more specific. Sure, some people are entertained by doing challenges, other people like their sims to act out the narrations they've come up with, other people prefer to build. All of these are valid ways to enjoy and play the game. This topic, however is more specific in that asks for suggestion to make the game more challenging (--> the game should offer some form of achievement, resistance; it should not just do whatever you like it to do) but in serious/realistic (not funny as in "have 30 children with one sim") way.

• NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I was going to suggest playing with toddlers if you want resistance from the game :D

Having autonomy on leaves me with plenty resistance from all my Sims. Especially in Sulani - no Sim is taking my directions there seriously and will drop it from their queue repeatedly.

I often struggle to making things work as they were intended, so I'm not really looking for ways to make it more challenging.

But, having said that, getting Mua Pel'am cleaned up completely and exploring the beach cave to restore the wall painting is something that takes time at least, offering a challenge of patience and consistent effort on the player's part. I like that this isn't just easily done overnight.

Sticking through the last levels of careers can also be challenging in terms of mustering patience. Is patience a boring challenge? For some, probably. But it is a life simulator in the cute category, so I'm not sure how much challenge it is meant to contain.

Achievements are more natural in other types of games.

There is an achievement list in Sims 4, @Wenzel - have you checked that and gotten everything on it?

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    Here's one that I've been thinking of--

Try having your sim not sleep on the bed or any comfort objects. For them to keep their energy up, have them drink "Sleep Replacement" potion from Reward Store. Do this as much as you can without your sim sleeping on the bed, couch, chair or the floor. To score yourself, count the number of Sleep Replacement potion you have consumed.

Let's call this the Don't Sleep Challenge.
    TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png
    nastyjman wrote: »
    Here's one that I've been thinking of--

Try having your sim not sleep on the bed or any comfort objects. For them to keep their energy up, have them drink "Sleep Replacement" potion from Reward Store. Do this as much as you can without your sim sleeping on the bed, couch, chair or the floor. To score yourself, count the number of Sleep Replacement potion you have consumed.

Let's call this the Don't Sleep Challenge.

Hm, that's an interesting idea. Even though I don't like challenges, I could imagine this to be interesting in that it would encourage you to play your sim's moods a bit more (i.e. play out his whims to get satisfaction points to buy that sleeping potion). The problem being 1) the price of sleeping potions (can you get so much satisfaction during a single day?), 2) some whims are just weird and 3) you can just click away whims until you get a whim that suits you.
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Having autonomy on leaves me with plenty resistance from all my Sims. Especially in Sulani - no Sim is taking my directions there seriously and will drop it from their queue repeatedly.

Achievements are more natural in other types of games. There is an achievement list in Sims 4, @Wenzel - have you checked that and gotten everything on it?

I have to agree maybe I've not discovered all the playstyles that the game offers yet. Also, I'm motly playing very small households (so that there is not that much autonomy).

I'm not the achievement type of guy. I don't like achievements in games. Most of the time they feel very much "put-on". I can't tell exactly what I'm expecting from the sims. I just wished that making my sims live a happy life would be more difficult. And that they would experience the world's harshness more often. Not in that "cute" way (oh no, the cake I made has bad quality!). I also want them to suffer! I want them to go through long term emotional ups and downs, I also want them to experience social rejection from time to time! All that happiness feels empty and cheap if there is no suffering on the flipside!

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Well realistically you could start with being unemployed and living at home until your sim is almost an adult, then get a job she really don't want, make sure you don't get any promotions and then gets laid off after awhile then repeat...

I mean if we're going for IRL realistic life.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    then get a job she really don't want,

Afaik, sims don't have preferences for particular jobs? I'd love if they had those.
    make sure you don't get any promotions and then gets laid off after awhile then repeat...

I'd have to actively try NOT to get promoted. ^^ Part of my problem is that getting promotions is quite easy.

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Or using mod that increases the cost of cooking food but I have yet to found it.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Wenzel wrote: »
    then get a job she really don't want,

Afaik, sims don't have preferences for particular jobs? I'd love if they had those.
    make sure you don't get any promotions and then gets laid off after awhile then repeat...

I'd have to actively try NOT to get promoted. ^^ Part of my problem is that getting promotions is quite easy.

That's the point, I was making a social commentary based joke ;)
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Have you ever played original The Sims? It's not what you were asking about but to me it sounds like you might enjoy that one. Or perhaps The Sims 2 since the earlier iterations were a lot harder.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I made a point of not using blood packs or ask to drink while playing with vampires... It makes things really hard since I'm currently playing with Caleb Vatore (hard for him, mostly)... I also have Vampirism is fun installed, that makes the deep drink interaction deadly.. this for people who like realism while playing with supernaturals (which may be a little strange but whatever)