Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When do your elders step back?

SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
I'm no good at moving my elders out to leave the house to their main heir. They could have stayed in a smaller house or an apartment, or one of the retirement homes that I recently established, but no. Instead, they normally hang around in their old home, and if they have a pet, the 8 sim limit quickly fills up. I don't even upgrade the interior. The next generation often will feel more like lodgers than house owners. In real life the elders would probably have stepped back, allowing the younger couple to make all the adjustments they would like to make the house their own.

I also recently started playing with a detailed household economy, like I did back in TS2. It also means I run a detailed inheritance routine. At some point I will transfer all the elders' values over to their heirs, normally shared equally, but sometimes the elders can affect how the values are passed on. Now I can't decide what the perfect timing for the transfer is.

Leaving it all to the next generation on the day when the main heir marries? Waiting to share anything until Grim Reaper knocks on the door? This far I've officially been handing out the house to the main heir when main heir marries, and waited with everything else, which actually makes it all twice the job because I must deal with the passing on twice (house will be seen as a in-advance thing).

How do you do it? When do the elders step back? If you don't run inheritance, when do main heir get the house?
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    It's nice to have grandparents around to help take care of the house and the kids, so I would say keep them until either their grandkids are teens or until the house is too full and you need space for kids or pets. Of course, it depends on personality and storyline, too. Like if you have a mother-in-law and daughter-in-law who don't get along with each other, then move granny out. Or if the husband is a mama's boy, then keep granny around until way past the time she should have left, LOL.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I keep them around until they kick the bucket. They’re a good help with cooking and taking care of grandchildren.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I love my elders <3 ,
    I rarely move them away and if I do, I still visit them and play their household (the perks of playing rotationally).
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I love my elders, too, and I actually play them more than I play most of my teens. Most of the elders I played since they were young adults or younger, even. I also made a holiday for them, the "Grandparents' Day" when grandparents are invited over for dinner. :)

Interesting to learn when/what others do, so keep posting :)
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    If it were me? i'd create a safety net for when the time comes, best to be prepared in any event. Having one heir is probably best than multiple heirs, especially if you brought that heir up and have plans for them with the inheritance. The glove fits the hand in the end.

I'd have passed on the inheritance when the elder is a few days shy of giving up, with or without the marriage for the heir. This allows you to keep the elders for as long as possible and i'm sure the elders don't want to end up in a retirement home, not after all the attention and love they gave their heir over their lifetime, best to return the favor and look out for them.
  • mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    With my legacy, I usually just keep them around because I don't like the idea of them dying while I'm not playing them, plus I want them to spend as much time with their grandkids as they can.
    Hm, part of my dilemma are the kids moving out that are not main heirs. I normally hand them their fair share of the parents' net household worth (incl investments, shares and owned community lots etc). I never can decide what time is best for them to get their part. The two easiest alternatives would be at the time the main heir gets the house, or when their parents die. Whatever happens within the house (if elders keep staying there) isn't making lots of changes to say a retail store ownership, but if it is taken over by a different household (main heir's sibling) it makes for a bigger impact.

Perhaps most of you just give the moving out siblings a suitable sum of money, and leave everything else to the main heir?
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    young people will end up landing on their feet sooner or later, if you have teenagers who get their own income from part-time jobs and they are making enough money from it, they could move into another household if they are friends and then build up their own lives to the point they can fund their own house in the basic and move out.

If the heir is generous enough he could let his siblings remain until they got enough money of their own and kick them out. The bank of mum and dad of course won't be open to them. You got options there.
  • sarabeth2984sarabeth2984 Posts: 849 Member
    I dislike having huge houses. I wind up making multiple smaller ones on the big lots i.e. l. mother-in-law houses. My heirs will only have 1 or 2 kids too so I keep the families together. Grandparents can live in the smaller houses on the same lot. When they pass, teen or young adult single kids can move in too. That way they can still be near friends and family.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    My elders stay in the house til the day they die.
    I need their gravestones for my legacy graveyard.

My elders step back when they've completed their aspiration or career or whatever their goal is. They just go to work and earn money or retire and enjoy life doing nothing.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • PhillipaErdnussPhillipaErdnuss Posts: 73 Member
    Very interesting question! I never really thought about it, but with the family I currently play I have to think about this question! I have an adult who has reached Level 10 in different skills, has fulfilled two or three aspirations and that's why he had the opportunity to buy the youth-potion more than just once. He has fathered 8 Children, except one they are already grown up and moved out. I should make use somehow of his big Knowledge of Cooking, Fitness, Gourmet-Cooking and all those other skills. He is also Level 10 in child-education (don't know the english term, I play in German) so he has the ability of superefficient childcare which is very useful. I really have to think about what I do with him. He is too valuable to loose!!!

Thanks for bringing that Question to my Attention :):):)

Maybe he will be my first long-lived Sim without being a Vampire... Maybe the Grim Reaper's Database was altered and his Name was deleted… He has Level 10 programming-skills….. hhhmmmmm…. B)
    Phillipa Erdnuss
    Mayoress of SimCity and all associated districts
    Let this cart-button disappear!
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Just poison them with some bad sushi that they're grandchild may or may not be responsible for...
    funny-gifs20.gif

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,288 Member
    I don't generally keep the children in their parents home. I use freerealestate on to make their purchase. Most of us take out a mortgage to own a home anyway, so that's how I view the freerealestate cheat. ;)

Sometimes I'll play rotation style. Other times, I just go into a household to make sure things are moving as planned. Job promotions, et al. Or if another sibling was born. Also, to make certain a sibling is wed, as planned.

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    My founders have only just been aged up to Adults, since I want them at least one age category ahead of their oldest child, and my heir just became a Young Adult, married, and moved out.

The heir doesn't necessarily get the parents' home. For one, they are still raising two children, and need the space, and my heir needs his own space for any potential offspring (once he and spouse get some career success / financial security under their belts).

But my founders will become Elders, probably when their youngest becomes a Teen, and if I am too reluctant then (as I may be) certainly when the youngest is a Young Adult.

Then I'll decide on disposition. Once they are empty-nesters, I may scale them back to a smaller house with just what they want and need, and let them have their own place. Or they may get a "Mother-in-Law" flat with one of their kids, and be hands-on grandparents.

I hate, hate, hate letting my Sims die, and play with aging off. But I don't plan to keep multiple generations at Elder either. Once the heir is an Elder, his parents can head on the the afterlife.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don't like moving my elders out. I get attached to my sims and the fact that they age to elder doesn't make me just loose interest in playing them. I prefer to think that the younger sims would be happy to keep their family together in one home.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    my current family the elders are staying with them and taking care of their grandkids until they pass away. the storyline has moved onto the next generation but they're still in the house.

the other ones sometimes i put them into retirement homes and others i have them move out into a little house of their own for their twilight years
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    I have a clannish mentality I'm afraid (or is it family orientated?) I tend to keep the grandparents in an annex or I move them next door. I like my families to all stay together as long as possible, aunt's, uncles, cousins ect, so if they do move out, they move down the street. This is going to be very difficult during the 100 baby challenge that I'm doing at the moment because I don't want to kick anyone out, Oasis Springs is going to be very full of one family....it's a problem.

• WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    I love my families and my elder sims too much to move them away, so they all sort of just hang around. If they have a bunch of adult kids, they tend to stay with whichever one has the least going on story-wise. They get to keep in touch with the rest of the fam with no effort, and they're always in a good mood from the "around family" moodlet, it's too cute 😍

(That and I like having direct control over as many sims as possible, they fall to pieces without me 👀)
    Sindocat wrote: »
    My founders have only just been aged up to Adults, since I want them at least one age category ahead of their oldest child, and my heir just became a Young Adult, married, and moved out.

The heir doesn't necessarily get the parents' home. For one, they are still raising two children, and need the space, and my heir needs his own space for any potential offspring (once he and spouse get some career success / financial security under their belts).

But my founders will become Elders, probably when their youngest becomes a Teen, and if I am too reluctant then (as I may be) certainly when the youngest is a Young Adult.

Then I'll decide on disposition. Once they are empty-nesters, I may scale them back to a smaller house with just what they want and need, and let them have their own place. Or they may get a "Mother-in-Law" flat with one of their kids, and be hands-on grandparents.

I hate, hate, hate letting my Sims die, and play with aging off. But I don't plan to keep multiple generations at Elder either. Once the heir is an Elder, his parents can head on the the afterlife.

You pointed out one more thing that I have been having a problem with. Well, not a problem, but that might be a challenge in some families if the kids age is very spread. I normally think the oldest child will be the heir to the house, but fact is, like you said, that the younger siblings would occupy space both in house and in the 8 sims counting. So, for a while I had the youngest as main heir, but nowadays I also us a "social status" factor that I added to my manual DNA-string, kind of thing. In some cases it would fit better with specific skills - say a farmer or a restaurant owner would like to pass on their lifework to a child with minimum interests in the project.

From reading all posts I tend to like waiting with the inheritance until the elders actually dies. If a sibling gets the house, s/he will pay his/her siblings their share, and then the remaining values rthat parents leave behind can be dealt with later.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited July 2019
    I just stop playing with my Sims when they're elders and most likely just kick them out.
    I am one of those players others here dislike ;) who only enjoy playing YA and adults really, maybe teens.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I always had the elders in the same house as their kids and their children's families. They always took a good care of their grandchildren. Almost as they were their parents!

But then, you know, I gave birth myself IRL :D If you know what I mean.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • cat_momcat_mom Posts: 36 Member
    I made a retirement home and send my elders to live there. Their families come to visit and they visit their families.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    Elders stay in the same house for me until they kick the bucket. Inheritance is given out at time of death.
  • vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    I usually play generationally, picking one of the kids to follow. Once I move that kid out (when they are a young adult) - I just leave the elders and siblings in the original house and let the die of old age on their own. Occasionally I keep them in the house but I don't really play them much - just let them do their thing until they die. I don't find elders that fun to play with - but at least they don't wake up in the middle of the night once their energy bar is full like in The Sims 2, lol.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm mean. As as soon as my heir is a teen, I kill their parents. I usually try to age them up, and have them die of old age.
    I'm a one Sim at a time player and I just prefer not to have my previous one hanging around.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01