Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does EA care about loyal players?

Comments

• sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    There is a new life simulation game in development now called Paralives, it's open world, cars. EA needs some competition or there is no incentive to make this better.

I would agree with this. That's why I was excited to hear there was another life simulation game coming to the table. That being said, I'm definitely not rooting for The Sims to fail. No amount of shiny new content will cover up the atrocious core gameplay.
    Nindigo wrote: »
    But it’s fun enough to be able to ignore the bugs, as long as I’m purchasing most content on sale.

I'm sort of on the same page as you here. Granted the bugs are out of control and it's embarrassing but I can't pay full price for any Sims 4 game. Back in the days of Sims 2 & 3 I was buying the next Expansion Pack or Stuff Pack the day of release without any care of what the content was knowing it would add something substantial to my game. And back then, I was also a kid in high school working a part time job saving money to get a new game and I had to find a way to get to the store to buy it! No just hopping online and tossing in a credit card number! haha
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    LiesSim wrote: »
    There is a new life simulation game in development now called Paralives, it's open world, cars. EA needs some competition or there is no incentive to make this better.

I saw a video on Paralives' building system yesterday, it's looking quite good to be honest. It seems to have a lot of potential (the building aspect, I didn't see any gameplay). EA needs to step up their game.

Seems if any stepping up is needed - it needs to be Paralives - as EA has already proven themselves with 20 years of the Sims. Try comparing when Paralives has 20 years under their belt -

And in that 20 years build mode has stayed pretty much the same. A few gimmicks or upgrades here and there, but you are still building on a fixed grid with the same general mechanics.

Not saying that isn’t a winning formula, but this other game is trying something different. Sometimes different is cool, and other times it’s not. No reason to step on this indie dev for trying something different because EA has kept the same basic idea of build mode for 20 years.

I step on them just for the fact not a single one who has taken this path made it to the finish line. One of which had over two years in developing their game and it still stopped short of the finish line - always the same issue - it gets just too expensive. They had hundreds of donators too and what did they get for trying to make that one happen - nothing, thats what. Some of the people on the team did get a job at a studio but not a studio willing to bring their game to fruitation and go up against EA. JUst once I really would love to see it happen. It means nothing when it never makes it out of the gate, but get a lot of people excited for nothing. People really thought they would make it too - just like this new one...
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member

1. Constantly having sales on every piece of DLC excluding the most recent release or providing the base game completely free in the past.

I get where your coming from with the rest of your points but I do not understand how having a sale is a bad thing. I've been playing the Sims since the Sims 1 and there is no reason you need to buy an expansion pack as soon as it comes out if you're going to complain that it gets put on sale later. I bought the Sims 4 for $10 during a black Friday sale and it was great. The fact that they provided it for free for a short time didn't bother me at all, in fact I shared the news with everyone I knew so they could play too.

1. Constantly having sales on every piece of DLC excluding the most recent release or providing the base game completely free in the past.

I get where your coming from with the rest of your points but I do not understand how having a sale is a bad thing. I've been playing the Sims since the Sims 1 and there is no reason you need to buy an expansion pack as soon as it comes out if you're going to complain that it gets put on sale later. I bought the Sims 4 for $10 during a black Friday sale and it was great. The fact that they provided it for free for a short time didn't bother me at all, in fact I shared the news with everyone I knew so they could play too.

It's more so that they always exclude the newest release. I'm fine with sales myself and I wait for them but I just feel like excluding the newest pack just leaves out a whole group of players that own all the other content and choose to wait for sales like this. Again, I don't desperately want Island Living right this second. If that was the case, I'd go to Best Buy or EB Games here in Canada and buy it for $39.99 instead of the $51.99 Origin now charges.
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member

It's more so that they always exclude the newest release. I'm fine with sales myself and I wait for them but I just feel like excluding the newest pack just leaves out a whole group of players that own all the other content and choose to wait for sales like this. Again, I don't desperately want Island Living right this second. If that was the case, I'd go to Best Buy or EB Games here in Canada and buy it for $39.99 instead of the $51.99 Origin now charges.

Yeah, I guess that can get annoying but it's also something that is not strictly EA related. Most companies don't put their newest product on sale right away. I just think that given the frequency they have sales it's really not an issue.

I am incredibly annoyed about changing items from packs to base game though. I feel like it was really laziness on their part.
  • Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    I would not buy Paralives as it currently looks. I don't enjoy building when things are ultra cartoony vs more realistic. That being said, I really hope they do take off just so the Sims has some real competition to make them listen to what people actually want.

I have literally NEVER been critical of the sims4 in the past, even after playing every other iteration of the sims. But I don't care who mandated it, the recent rebranding was a massive waste of time and resources. Yes, that is, in my opinion 🙄.

Yeah, I guess that can get annoying but it's also something that is not strictly EA related. Most companies don't put their newest product on sale right away. I just think that given the frequency they have sales it's really not an issue.

I am incredibly annoyed about changing items from packs to base game though. I feel like it was really laziness on their part.

I'm fine if they do frequent sales but they also need to be consistent. I remember when Cats & Dogs came out I bought it on sale for I believe 30% off and a week after it went on sale for 40% off and I couldn't get the additional discount because the purchase was past the whole 24 hours thing where you can return or something. I was pretty upset with that because it just seemed unfair.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    It should be noted that "Paralives" is only a proof of concept at this point, it has a long, long road ahead to even reach something that is in an alpha playable state, if it ever gets there. A lot of people are putting the cart before the horse before said cart has even been built.
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    It should be noted that "Paralives" is only a proof of concept at this point, it has a long, long road ahead to even reach something that is in an alpha playable state, if it ever gets there. A lot of people are putting the cart before the horse before said cart has even been built.

I agree. I don't want this post doesn't turn into a "Who is excited for Paralives?!" post though haha
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Never understood the point of the EA Game Changers program.
    edited July 2019
    I would not buy Paralives as it currently looks. I don't enjoy building when things are ultra cartoony vs more realistic. That being said, I really hope they do take off just so the Sims has some real competition to make them listen to what people actually want.

I have literally NEVER been critical of the sims4 in the past, even after playing every other iteration of the sims. But I don't care who mandated it, the recent rebranding was a massive waste of time and resources. Yes, that is, in my opinion 🙄.

Actually it may not matter what we think on rebranding - it will only matter what the stock holders think in the long run and knowing stock holders anything that renews a brand and gives it new life is usually looked on favorably - not always mind you - but usually. Guess we wait and see what they think. (stock holders generally look favorable in rebranding after a certain number of years past and not as a bad investment, definitely not lazy, or a waste of resources from what I have seen. Their reasoning is putting a new face on an older product draws new people/players. It is looked at as a caring thing for companies to do - that care about their products.)

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Hyper_KeyHyper_Key Posts: 26 Member
    It's time we riot.
    The Sims Franchise has no competition, so EA can essentially do what ever the hell they want with it, because "They'll buy it anyway".
    I'm done with it.
    I will not buy another pack, no matter how low they price it.
    And it's time other's do the same.
    EA is one of the worst ranked Game Developing/Publishing companies out there, and for good reason.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    They’re a corporate behemoth. Of course they don’t.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited July 2019
    It is an interesting question and I might not have the popular opinion of it.

I think all publishers care about profit. When it comes to video game development, I think it is really difficult to get a profit immediately, not before you have developed a product and paid the developers. And apparently, maxis have 200 developers. That is 200 people who need to get paid every month and unless you have some way to get some money back from that investment, then they have to do layoffs (which they did in the beginning of 2019), and maybe even close down the studio.

I think that some part of EA cares about loyal players, that are coming back, buying DLC, engaging with community events etc. Because if they would not, then they would not even have EA Game Changers, a community manager etc. Why waste money on that?

But they are also a huge company that are too worried about making a profit and reduce costs. I think the sims is a franchise that is suffering because of that, which is why they are rebranding, reusing content for dlcs, because they are worried that if they do not do that, they will have to do layoffs because they are not getting a good return of their investment. They risk making loyal players angry, but they get some money back that they can use to pay those 200 developers.

So to answer their question, yes, I think they care. But when it comes to the sims, I think the franchise is taking a hit because they care more about wanting to make a profit and reduce costs. And the sims is not the only franchise that is suffering because of this, they are doing this with other franchises like FIFA etc.

• LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    Of course not lol just take a look at the games EA ruined. Star Wars, SimCity, Mass Effect, huge franchises with die hard fans and they managed to ruin them all anyway with abusive practices. EA is greedy, they don't listen to feedback, don't back away from outrage, they just don't care.
  • YBNS2468YBNS2468 Posts: 240 Member
    After playing this game for 20 years, I felt this way for the very first time this last weekend.

They made it very clear. They don't care about us, and i don't know why but it makes me sad. Maybe bc i love The Sims 4, as much as i loved 1,2 and 3 and even more.😞😞

At this point i'm pretty sure that sims 4 will be the last one for me. At least i liked it.😌
    edited July 2019
    logion wrote: »

I think all publishers care about profit. When it comes to video game development, I think it is really difficult to get a profit immediately, not before you have developed a product and paid the developers. And apparently, maxis has 200 developers. That is 200 people who need to get paid every month and unless you have some way to get some money back from that investment, then they have to do layoffs (which they did in the beginning of 2019), and maybe even close down the studio.

I think that some part of EA cares about loyal players, that are coming back, buying DLC, engaging with community events etc. Because if they would not, then they would not even have EA Game Changers, a community manager etc. Why waste money on that?

But they are also a huge company that are too worried about making a profit and reduce costs. I think the sims is a franchise that is suffering because of that, which is why they are rebranding, reusing content for dlcs, because they are worried that if they do not do that, they will have to do layoffs because they are not getting a good return of their investment. They risk making loyal players angry, but they get some money back that they can use to pay those 200 developers.

So to answer their question, yes, I think they care. But when it comes to the sims, I think the franchise is taking a hit because they care more about wanting to make a profit and reduce costs. And the sims is not the only franchise that is suffering because of this, they are doing this with other franchises like FIFA etc.

Maxis didn't lay off- Fire Monkeys studio did I heard to make room to move Sims 4 Mobile over there with Free Play. EA has over 9400 employees around the world so they do a lot of shuffling employees from one place or another when needed - and sometimes people who don't want to be shuffled else where goes to work somewhere else in the area they live. But last I heard it was just Fire Monkeys that got lay offs - and some of the Sims Mobile people were sent over there when they moved the game over there. Both EA and Maxis has been hiring - not laying off if anything. Especially EA.

By the way people Guru Legacy and SG Frost just said over on twitter they are changing the blue to a darker one in the August update - that they heard you all!

In dreams - I LIVE!

• SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    I believe they wanna make a good product that sells well and they have.
    I'm not in a personal relationship with the company so I don't need their personal care.

You're not in a personal relationship with the company but you are still a paying consumer. The company needs consumers, consumers don't need the company. There's already another life simulation game out there being developed by an independent creator so The Sims franchise may have upcoming competition.
    So? I don't need the company and I don't need the game either. I just really like it :) I'm sure I could have another hobby if it wasn't playing the sims.

Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

I saw a video on Paralives' building system yesterday, it's looking quite good to be honest. It seems to have a lot of potential (the building aspect, I didn't see any gameplay). EA needs to step up their game.
    I really hope they’ll manage to give that game gameplay that will be in depth, fun, not needing additions to be enjoyable. I love the building tools and cars and open world, but that mustn’t be all there is to it.

Seems if any stepping up is needed - it needs to be Paralives - as EA has already proven themselves with 20 years of the Sims. Try comparing when Paralives has 20 years under their belt - Maybe they ought to at least get to the finish line and distribute the goods before you go patting them on the back. They are not the first in a long line of those who tried and failed to deliver a decent life simulation game over the last 20 years - keep that in mind. Seems like they are all good until it comes to the process of finalizing and delivering. Then you can harp when they can at least do that and it excels what you have had for the last 20 years. Means not a darn thing - just in production...
    I don’t think we’ll need to wait 20 years before we can compare. If this game will be any good, that’s all it’s going to need for me.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited July 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I really hope they’ll manage to give that game gameplay that will be in depth, fun, not needing additions to be enjoyable. I love the building tools and cars and open world, but that mustn’t be all there is to it.

Seems if any stepping up is needed - it needs to be Paralives - as EA has already proven themselves with 20 years of the Sims. Try comparing when Paralives has 20 years under their belt - Maybe they ought to at least get to the finish line and distribute the goods before you go patting them on the back. They are not the first in a long line of those who tried and failed to deliver a decent life simulation game over the last 20 years - keep that in mind. Seems like they are all good until it comes to the process of finalizing and delivering. Then you can harp when they can at least do that and it excels what you have had for the last 20 years. Means not a darn thing - just in production...
    I don’t think we’ll need to wait 20 years before we can compare. If this game will be any good, that’s all it’s going to need for me.

Well you used to think Maxis Sims Series was the Cat's pajamas and during those 20 years apparently changed your mind. So they need 20 years to see how you see it in 20 years... to be fair anyway. New things are always great - but to compare you need staying power.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    These arguments are the reason I have the willpower to wait until a pack is on sale before I consider buying it. The only reward for buying the game on release day is that you get to play it as soon as possible.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited July 2019
    logion wrote: »

I think all publishers care about profit. When it comes to video game development, I think it is really difficult to get a profit immediately, not before you have developed a product and paid the developers. And apparently, maxis has 200 developers. That is 200 people who need to get paid every month and unless you have some way to get some money back from that investment, then they have to do layoffs (which they did in the beginning of 2019), and maybe even close down the studio.

Maxis didn't lay off- Fire Monkeys studio did I heard to make room to move Sims 4 Mobile over there with Free Play. EA has over 9400 employees around the world so they do a lot of shuffling employees from one place or another when needed - and sometimes people who don't want to be shuffled else where goes to work somewhere else in the area they live. But last I heard it was just Fire Monkeys that got lay offs - and some of the Sims Mobile people were sent over there when they moved the game over there. Both EA and Maxis has been hiring - not laying off if anything. Especially EA.

Hopefully that means that they are doing well. I was talking about the layoffs they did around march, which was mostly marketing people according to sources. https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/27/18283728/ea-electronic-arts-employee-layoffs-ceo-andrew-wilson-japan-russia

But that's what surprises me, they are hiring people, but also seem so focused on cutting costs and apparently they don't even have enough people to work on some new clothes when they are rebranding the sims4?

• darkchadmeisterdarkchadmeister Posts: 62 Member
    I don't see why this is an issue. You buy the game and content based on the experience at that time. This is basic Econ 101. The value of goods depreciation over time especially when it comes to digital goods I don't go to a movie and rage when I can see the movie later at a discount theater or even watch it free later on television.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member

I'm fine if they do frequent sales but they also need to be consistent. I remember when Cats & Dogs came out I bought it on sale for I believe 30% off and a week after it went on sale for 40% off and I couldn't get the additional discount because the purchase was past the whole 24 hours thing where you can return or something. I was pretty upset with that because it just seemed unfair.

Eh, I mean if sales were consistent-consistent we'd never get really good sales because thatd cost them too much money.

And I don't blame them for not putting their latest product on sale after its release. Especially if its been less than 2 months. Im waiting on IL to go on sale (noooo way Im getting it overpriced as it is) but its still relatively "new" so I get it.

The taking of paid content and making certain items free later on all the recolored old assessts being "new" things and charged for it is also pretty gross.

Corporations live to make money and tbh EA has a bad rap in the gaming community and imo it's very much justified considering all the stunts they pull\have pulled in the past.