Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Project Throxton

Comments

• MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    It's quite easy really. If you select one of your harbour walls, you should get an XYZ value on the right? If you then select a new piece of harbour wall, copy and paste the values into the corresponding boxes. Then you should be able to move the object, using the arrows, to line it up more exactly.
    I haven't got CAW on this new laptop yet otherwise I'd take pictures for you. If that explanation is as clear as mud, I'll move myself and install it to show you :D
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Just a quick hello here, love to see the progress!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    It's quite easy really. If you select one of your harbour walls, you should get an XYZ value on the right? If you then select a new piece of harbour wall, copy and paste the values into the corresponding boxes. Then you should be able to move the object, using the arrows, to line it up more exactly.
    I haven't got CAW on this new laptop yet otherwise I'd take pictures for you. If that explanation is as clear as mud, I'll move myself and install it to show you :D

Thank you :) I have been taking a bit of a break today, watching my cats discover the delights of climbing on to the garden shed roof and basking in the sun. However I shall be at my CAW first thing and will give it a go. It should make the process of lining the canal wall a lot quicker.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
    I have had a bit of a disaster. During my attempts to line the canal I have accidentally moved the bridge a couple of times. Each time I have used undo and it has gone back perfectly or so I thought. Today I discovered that I had unlinked the road either side. Each time I have tried to relink it the bridge moves. After a very frustrating half hour I lost my temper. We all know that putting down bridges and linking them to the road layout is done before you do anything else major in sculpting the landscape. I was so very careful to make sure it was all sorted before I got down the business of dealing with the canal. The trouble is I am not sure when this disaster happened. I can go back through old saves and revert to using one but I am not sure precisely how much recent landscaping I am going to lose. I need to think some more on it. Things are never as good when you attempt to redo them or that is what I have found with my own work. Suggestions would be gratefully received.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
    Okay. Firstly, are you reconnecting the roads by clicking the road, or the bridge? If it's the latter, try the former. If you've pressed 'undo' and the bridge goes back to where it was, then you should just be able to click the roads to reconnect them. Hopefully.
    If this won't work, I advise going back to a previous save but not without making a note of what landscaping you've done since.
    Personally, I often find that in situations like this, I prefer the second set of landscaping. So some good sometimes comes out of the bad <3
  • equuestequuest Posts: 718 Member
    Wow! Beautiful! I love how you're putting a foot bridge over the canal! Such a good idea! :) I can't wait to see more progress!
    @equuest I'm glad you like it :) The footbridge is still very much wip but I hope I can get the routing to work properly.

@MissyHissy thank you :) I should really learn not to panic. I managed to reconnect the bridge on a back up copy so thought I would have another go at the current version. It worked first time! So I saved quickly and closed. Thank you again <3

Sim enim est vita
    No problem, I'm glad it worked! <3 You're doing such a lovely job here!
    @Bettyboop55 For reference, I downloaded CAW and opened Ralton up to show you this:

z06YhR0.jpg

Using the XYZ axis, you should be able to line your walls up much better. In this picture, the X axis was moving the wall from left to right to allow me to line it up but that will probably depend on how the walls are set out. A small amount of experimenting would be in order to get the result you're looking for.

Hope that helps a bit :)
    @MissyHissy thanks for the pic :) Your written explanation was good too. It took me a minute or two to find the co-ords but then I work with the menus pinned to the side of my render panel. Your first explanation helped me line up the right hand canal where it passes under the road bridge. As you know that was when I found the road unlinked but I am clear to carry on putting in the canal lining. With luck I should be finished today and then I can really enjoy myself with a bit more landscaping, routing and perhaps attempt some of the buildings along the canal :)

Sim enim est vita
    Blows the dust and cobwebs off the thread.

In odd moments I have continued to work on building the canal.

One of the most important buildings along any canal is the lock keeper's cottage. With Throxton I had two to chose from as RL models. The first is in a nearby village called Seend. Here the original lock keeper's house was replaced by something built circa 1950 and later extended. Utilitarian is the kindest way to describe it. Then I found an image of the lock keeper's cottage at Caen (pronounced cane) Hill locks. These are a series of 9 locks on the Kennet and Avon which have been restored and the lock keeper's cottage converted into a tea room. I debated about including all nine of the locks in Throxton but decided against it on the grounds I am not skilled enough to build them. On the subject of locks I am aware there is a cc one I could use. Again I decided against this because while I think cc creators are very clever and inventive not everyone has the same cc installed in their game. So my lock remains a WIP until I can find a way to make it look more realistic.

Here then is my version of the Devizes lock keeper's cottage.

0NsmbUl.png

L0AGFzr.png

Sim enim est vita
    One of the best known pubs along the Kennet and Avon Canal, as far as my family is concerned, is the The Barge Inn at Seend. This village is just outside Devizes and it is the birthplace of several generations of my husband's family. Not that the family in past generations would have known The Barge, as they were teetotallers. The design of the building accommodates customers arriving by barge as well as by road. Over the years it has been added to, particularly when the canal was restored and larger numbers of tourists requiring evening meals started arriving by boat. With all the extensions the original building is difficult to date but I would estimate early to mid Victorian. The walls I have used to line the canal give the impression there is no place to moor a barge. I am tempted to remove this section of the wall but that would ruin the overall effect of the canal in Throxton. Users of the world will just have to use their imagination :D

yPfNuTI.png

Dtd048S.png

There is still plenty of landscaping to do and I want to add sunshades to the tables and hanging baskets to the columns at the front of the building. This will involve using MOO and I am reluctant to do this. I am already having problems with the windows rendering properly.

Sim enim est vita
  • chojrakchojrak Posts: 188 Member
    Colorful accent on doors in the last picture looks interesting. I also wonder, how much tree species you will use and how you will place them in empty space around your world. This tree from Dragon Valley at the last two pictures makes this building more memorable among others and give a little exotic atmosphere. :smile:

Remember only to not put too many species of trees at small space cause it will make world heavier for computer.
    chojrak wrote: »
    Colorful accent on doors in the last picture looks interesting. I also wonder, how much tree species you will use and how you will place them in empty space around your world. This tree from Dragon Valley at the last two pictures makes this building more memorable among others and give a little exotic atmosphere. :smile:

Remember only to not put too many species of trees at small space cause it will make world heavier for computer.

Thank you for your kind comment :) I have tried to stay with the native species for the UK. There are some exotics like palm trees which do grow in the South of England. I would have liked beech and copper beech trees in the meta data but after ten years I doubt we will get them now.

I have a real problem with trees, I absolutely adore them :)

Seriously the area of Wiltshire on which this world is based is well wooded. Even on Salisbury Plain there are clumps of trees which act as wind breaks and trees in the cultivated fields. I do take your point about trees rendering but I have yet to decide whether or not this world will be good enough to share.

Sim enim est vita
    edited October 2019
    This is a special build in as much as it is my interpretation of a family home near Devizes. It is currently occupied by one of my husband's aunts and after her there will be no more of us living there as the family do not own the property. The last three generations of my husband's family were born in the house, including my hubby. At one time the entire building was one home. It was the bakehouse for the village and my hubby's grandfather was the last baker. After his death the business closed and the house was split into two homes. The aunt lives in the side that was where the village bread was baked so there is an immense kitchen at the back.

The history of the building is fascinating. At one time it would have been a tavern, under the immense kitchen is an immense cellar. The kitchen and the bedroom above it are the oldest two rooms. All over the house there are steps up and down as there are so many rooms on different levels. I have not attempted to replicate this as it would involve using CFE and I am not convinced, even using the cheat, I could really achieve accuracy.

The house was renovated in Victorian times which is why you have the bow windows. I will say the bow on the real windows is not so pronounced. The brickwork for both the wall and the house is almost certainly Elizabethan which is why it has faded to the pale pink. Again I may work on the colour of the brickwork. The end walls have iron braces but I have not found a way of including those yet. There are also immense attics and at one time the roof would have been thatched.

The garden is huge and when both aunts were there it was quite something to see. The vegetable garden is missing from my interpretation along with the old outside privvy :D The wisteria on the front of the house is very old which is why the aunts were allowed to keep it when the building was given listed status. The tree which over shadows the front garden belongs to a neighbouring property. It has a tree preservation order so cannot be cut down, however it does remain a safety concern. The garden also has a bird bath and bird feeding station. The aunts were always great bird watchers. I have yet to add the bird bath from Barnacle Bay?

y5P2VOd.png

Qu15z2H.png

HBqgEVD.png

I seem to be having trouble getting the windows to render properly. Not quite sure how to fix this particular problem. The only other thing is I am not sure I have done the house justice. It is extremely old and quaint but that is difficult to convey in EIG.

Sim enim est vita
  • chojrakchojrak Posts: 188 Member
    edited October 2019
    It's cool that you try to recreate buildings that have some history in your memories. I would suggest to change wall to something different. Texture is ok, but this particular wall has some ugly reflect upon surface, it's looks so plastic.
    I have yet to add the bird bath from Barnacle Bay?
    If you ask, I would say go ahead. The more plentyful gardens, the better. :wink:
    I seem to be having trouble getting the windows to render properly. Not quite sure how to fix this particular problem. The only other thing is I am not sure I have done the house justice. It is extremely old and quaint but that is difficult to convey in EIG.

Some windows may do things like that. I remember one window from Ambitions EP but also a few from University, which not always let light inside interiors. There is a lot more bugs with windows not showing properly or not getting light inside. It happen to me sometimes and it's irritating cause I can't always find substitute of window I want to use. Some windows works on the certain wall, and on another they suddenly doesn't working, so it's kind of lottery.
    edited October 2019
    Hello @chojrak as you can see I have been playing with some of the colours in the brickwork. I do not want to change the size of the brick because Elizabethan bricks were small. They were also irregular in size but I think that is beyond the programming in TS3 to achieve. The problem with the windows remain. I hope I may be forgiven for saying this but I really wish we could adjust the size of the windows as they can in TS4. Old English houses do have different size windows and it irks me that I can't reflect that in my buildings. No pun intended :D

Anyway for now I shall continue to play around with the brickwork. For now the building looks like this.

xuhKmNh.png

Sim enim est vita
    I have gone back to building in the pond area. Devizes pond has a rather special story attached to it and once I have finished the area I will have something to show you to go with the story.

Anyway I have been building some Victorian town houses. The actual pond area is a mixture of houses and shops. This is partly due to the somewhat haphazard building over the centuries as the nature of the area has changed. So I decided to play fast and loose with the area and it will have buildings around it brought from other areas of the town.

Anyway the townhouses.

B87ClvU.png

5pNKNiN.png

I have also been building some more shops. I have not designated the lots as such but the lot designation could easily be changed. Devizes has a large number of shops not only around the Market Square, yet to be built, but in the Brittox as well. I have already built the earliest alleyway of shops but thought this area of the town could accommodate more. These are based on images I found on the internet.

YChN2EM.png

D7J35gr.png

JJeqpf4.png

I really didn't want to take this picture but it was the only way I could get the shades over the door to show. Up close they disappear. Heaven knows what has happened to the Neon sign above the door, grinds teeth in frustration.

A5azxYe.png

It is not uncommon for shops to have offices above them. I may use this particular lot for the business/journalism lot.

Sim enim est vita
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    Hi :mrgreen:
    The builds are so nice. The atmosphere they give is wonderful. The Aunt's house is quaint with the back story.
    I agree, resizing windows and doors would be fun in TS3. :)
    Hello @Rflong7 thank you for your kind comments. I have stopped work on my CAW projects for now. One of my little cats was run over and killed on Monday. We are absolutely devastated and heartbroken. His brother is inconsolable.

Sim enim est vita
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    My condolences. We lost a little one that way, too.
    Some of you may remember the rather fanciful memorial garden I created for Fenbury.

qhMwbXv.png

Today in the UK is Remembrance Sunday and tomorrow, 11th November, is Remembrance Day. It is also Veterans Day in the US. Today all over the UK people will gather at the local war memorials to lay wreaths and observe the silence. Most will be wearing poppies. People talk of our red telephone boxes and black taxis being quintessentially British but our war memorials are just as much so. Some are tucked away in churchyards while others have pride of place in market squares. This is so in Devizes and I will, of course, be including it in my design for Throxton.

Sim enim est vita
  • CaelemCaelem Posts: 75 Member
    The world is coming along really well! I love the canal and british feel of the buildings. I wish I had the patience to do this, you’re so talented
    Hello @Caelem thank you for your kind comments. I am incredibly lucky to have so many great buildings on my doorstep for inspiration.

Sim enim est vita
    xaJTlS5.png

D8bSIHO.png

8UAMEeX.png

raU6Rqz.png

I am gradually getting back into working in CAW. Some days are better than others and we still have one cat who needs our help.

Anyway one of the areas I have been wanting to work on for a while is the row of canal houses. These are based on images I have found on the internet, the colour choice being mine. After all the brick building I have done recently I fancied a change. As usual the lots are WIP and not yet decorated on the inside. I see them as being renovated properties and all three will be available for playable families. The palm trees were a fanciful touch on my part, my reasoning being there must be palm trees in Wiltshire. It is after all a neighbouring county to my own and here in Somerset palm trees do grow outside.

Sim enim est vita