Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does EA care about loyal players?

I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion but after the recent re-branding and addition of paid for DLC into the base game from this last update, I've come to the conclusion that I don't think EA cares too much about loyal long-term fans of The Sims franchise.

They seem to be more focused on drawing in new players that will cough up more money on their product. And yes, I totally get that EA is a company and needs to make money, but they keep showing a lack of regard for people that have been with this franchise for years.

Some examples include:

1. Constantly having sales on every piece of DLC excluding the most recent release or providing the base game completely free in the past.

2. Taking content that players have paid for and giving it out for free (even 1 item is unacceptable) and yes, I get that there are apparently different color swatches, but I paid for the item itself, not for different colors that could easily be eliminated if they would just provide a color wheel in CAS and Build/Buy.

3. The team ignores older games in the franchise and things the game has provided in the past. With that whole EA play event and someone exclaiming the Sims has never played with the idea of where the land meets the ocean essentially ignoring the fact that The Sims 3 Island Paradise was a thing. It's like they sell their new content as new to The Sims and not just new to The Sims 4.

4. EA Game Changers is NOT a representation of EA's relationship with loyal players. Sure, those Simmers are massive fans, but in the end, it's a business transaction.

5. They include content from packs in other packs by changing the name and colors or dividing objects. Examples, the tombstone lights from Spooky Stuff being added in Seasons, counters from base game being "dirtied up" to release with City Living, the ball pit, slide and playground from Toddler stuff and 4 different variations of that panda stump from Toddler Stuff.

These are just observations I've made over the years and I'd love to know what everyone thinks. Please be respectful of one another's opinions!

Comments

• Options
    ElaineenicoleeElaineenicolee Posts: 95 Member
    I can see where you’re coming from. The Sims is the most expensive game I have ever purchased, and after buying the expansion packs for both the Xbox and my computer, I’ve spent over $500 on everything. Most games cost $60-70 and include everything. Also many games allow you to play on both the Xbox and the PC after you’ve purchased them, and for some reason the Sims does not. The fact that EA charges this much is a total scam.

But to be honest, I am glad they’re giving more content for free or reduced prices. Sure it’s lame that I purchased content I didn’t need to, but honestly they need to fix their pricing on this game. I purchased everything for my computer using the bundle system, and it still was outrageously expensive. So if new players get to enjoy the content at a lesser price, I’m ok with that. I want them to be able to spend less. And tbh, I want EA to earn less for the content, because it is not worth what they charge.
  • Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    So if new players get to enjoy the content at a lesser price, I’m ok with that.

The Sims is crazy expensive! I'm all for having sales but I always find it frustrating that they don't include the newest pack released. They're more than happy to provide discounts on packs that I'd assume any loyal fans to the franchise have already purchased. I will be the first to admit though, I have not and will not ever pay full price for a Sims 4 game.

I want to clarify though that Island Living isn't something I'm dying to have right this second. Just want to make sure it doesn't seem like a bitter reason to include that on my list.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I believe they wanna make a good product that sells well and they have.
    I'm not in a personal relationship with the company so I don't need their personal care.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    Corporations market for future sales. Long time loyal players have already paid for the product. EA’s future profits will come from people people buying product they haven’t yet. If, for example, person A has paid $100 for each of four items and player B hasn’t paid for anything but might be convinced, and the next product costs another $100, the potential future sale to A is $100 and the potential sale to B is $500. (Vastly oversimplified, obviously.)
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Why wouldn't they?
  • Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    I believe they wanna make a good product that sells well and they have.
    I'm not in a personal relationship with the company so I don't need their personal care.

You're not in a personal relationship with the company but you are still a paying consumer. The company needs consumers, consumers don't need the company. There's already another life simulation game out there being developed by an independent creator so The Sims franchise may have upcoming competition.
  • Options
    SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 335 Member
    EA never cares about its fans and communities. They only care about that income, which they want to do with as little work as possible. They try to act like they care, but in the end they actually don't.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Of course not. They only care about grabbing those new gen z kids to get their parents to buy their bare bones new packs.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    EA as a whole? No. They're incredibly consumer-unfriendly. There's a reason why they're one of the most hated video game companies, if not THE most hated.

On the sims side of things, I do feel like they at least try? They barely acknowledge our wants and it doesn't feel like they're listening most of the time. But they've made efforts to try and communicate and have fun with us. They're completely out of touch with the community (there's a reason why the "Do they really listen?" thread has been going four months strong), but they try to make us happy. Though I do feel like they're focused on courting one demographic of fans over the other. Even before the revamp (which could have been an EA mandate idk), it was clear that, while they wanted to make as many people as possible happy, they have a new target audience in mind.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    edited July 2019
    If you are talking about EA and not just Maxis, then let me be the first to add that my husband plays, or tries to play, many if the sports games by EA and they crash all the time, gave many bugs and aren't of the same quality they used to be, maybe it goes beyond just what they're doing to the Sims games, they only care about quantity and money, quality doesn't factor in anywhere anymore (typos sorry)
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    It seems only Indie devs care about players these days.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Uh, no...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited July 2019
    EA only care about money like all big corporations do. Maxis however I don't know. I know they're technically kinda bundled into one now with EA but I still like to think that what remains of what was once Maxis do still care about their players. Basically the developers I think probably care about their players and want to make a fun game while those that deal with selling and making money probably don't.
  • Options
    LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    There is a new life simulation game in development now called Paralives, it's open world, cars. EA needs some competition or there is no incentive to make this better.

I saw a video on Paralives' building system yesterday, it's looking quite good to be honest. It seems to have a lot of potential (the building aspect, I didn't see any gameplay). EA needs to step up their game.
  • Options
    SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    LiesSim wrote: »
    There is a new life simulation game in development now called Paralives, it's open world, cars. EA needs some competition or there is no incentive to make this better.

I saw a video on Paralives' building system yesterday, it's looking quite good to be honest. It seems to have a lot of potential (the building aspect, I didn't see any gameplay). EA needs to step up their game.

Literally.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I think EA would choose to make a quick buck over cultivating loyalty. MFPS being a prime example. Seems shortsighted and unsustainable, but I don't think they have a problem running their studios to the ground anyway

I still like The Sims; it's just that they have a lot of questionable practices that I don't care for that much
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019

Seems if any stepping up is needed - it needs to be Paralives - as EA has already proven themselves with 20 years of the Sims. Try comparing when Paralives has 20 years under their belt - Maybe they ought to at least get to the finish line and distribute the goods before you go patting them on the back. They are not the first in a long line of those who tried and failed to deliver a decent life simulation game over the last 20 years - keep that in mind. Seems like they are all good until it comes to the process of finalizing and delivering. Then you can harp when they can at least do that and it excels what you have had for the last 20 years. Means not a darn thing - just in production...
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    ElaineenicoleeElaineenicolee Posts: 95 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    EA cares about our money. Not our feelings of entitlement. Besides, they are making a whole bunch of people out there happy - a shame that so few of them can be found on these forums :)

I get what you mean. Sometimes there is a lot of negative commentary on the forums and it can be irritating. But at the same time, it’s good that consumers do speak up about their concerns — even if EA doesn’t always implement the requested changes. I think they do listen, but there are restraints that we aren’t aware of as consumers.

It just frustrates me sometimes that this game is so ridiculously expensive, yet the quality is lacking in many places. Obviously I should just stop buying new content and take my business elsewhere. But it’s fun enough to be able to ignore the bugs, as long as I’m purchasing most content on sale.

• Options
    LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    edited July 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Seems if any stepping up is needed - it needs to be Paralives - as EA has already proven themselves with 20 years of the Sims. Try comparing when Paralives has 20 years under their belt - Maybe the ought to at least get to the finish line and distribute the goods before you go patting them on the back. They are not the first in a long line of those who tried and failed to deliver a decent life simulation game over the last 20 years - keep that in mind. Seems like they are all good until it comes to the process of finalizing and delivering. Then you can harp when they can at least do that and it excels what you have had for the last 20 years. Means not a darn thing - just in production...

They're indeed only in production yet it already looks quite good. I never said "it is an amazing new game,everyone buy it when it's out", I said it seems to have a lot of potential. Not exactly patting on the back as if the creators are heroes, now is it? Besides what has EA proven lately? How much bugs they can put in a game and how they can ignore the bugs if they give the customers some free objects? Just an example, restaurants are a disaster for quite some players even though they've payed for a pack called Dine Out. Another example, some paying customers can't use the careers that are the center of a pack they bought called Get To Work.
    EA needs to step up their game because it might be possible some competition is on the way. And no, I never said "the competition has arrived!". Not in my first post and not in this one. I have only insinuated that it's a possibility, nothing more and nothing less.
    Please don't create your own narrative with my words.
    Post edited by LiesSim on