Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 - Update on Supported Systems

Comments

• leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited June 2019
    EA_Mai wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Just wanted to give you a heads up - we have updated the FAQ to reflect the change SimGuruDuke tweeted about:

We previously announced that we were making some changes to the supported specifications for The Sims 4™ on PC and Mac on June 2019. We have decided to postpone this update to later this year. All players can currently play all released packs and will be able to play the recently announced Island Living Expansion Pack. We will share more information on the specific date once we have confirmation.

@simgirl1010, you might want to update the FAQ in your opening post here as well ;)
    You can find the changes in here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Game-Information/The-Sims-4-Update-on-Supported-Systems/m-p/7954169#M13283

Postpone the change, but how much time?
    I guess to include at 32-bit support the 3 packs annunced at EA Play

Only hope I have is than Island Living with still support 32-bits no so lagy as Paradise Island
  • KristinaKristina Posts: 582 Member
    edited June 2019
    After much panic looks like my MacBook Pro thankfully just makes the cut, being a mid-2012 model with a 64-bit processor. No desire to buy a new computer when this is the only game I play on it!
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    leo3487 wrote: »
    EA_Mai wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Just wanted to give you a heads up - we have updated the FAQ to reflect the change SimGuruDuke tweeted about:

We previously announced that we were making some changes to the supported specifications for The Sims 4™ on PC and Mac on June 2019. We have decided to postpone this update to later this year. All players can currently play all released packs and will be able to play the recently announced Island Living Expansion Pack. We will share more information on the specific date once we have confirmation.

@simgirl1010, you might want to update the FAQ in your opening post here as well ;)
    You can find the changes in here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Game-Information/The-Sims-4-Update-on-Supported-Systems/m-p/7954169#M13283

Postpone the change, but how much time?
    I guess to include at 32-bit support the 3 packs annunced at EA Play

Only hope I have is than Island Living with still support 32-bits no so lagy as Paradise Island
    It's planned for late 2019. We don't have a more specific date confirmed yet - we will update you once that changes.

One thing to note: you can choose to play The Sims 4 Island Living (or any Expansion Pack since Cats & Dogs) on 32-bits, but keep in mind that you wouldn't be meeting the minimum requirements for those packs: https://www.origin.com/irl/en-us/store/the-sims/the-sims-4/expansion/the-sims-4-island-living#store-page-section-requirements
  • AllyanabellAllyanabell Posts: 8 New Member
    Thank you, very helpful.
  • AllyanabellAllyanabell Posts: 8 New Member
    Is anyone able to help me with my decision to buy a new desktop to support Sims 4? Currently have a MacBoon Pro, but have been looking at Trident 3. I’m still considered a New Member even though I joined back in 2012/2013 timeframe so I can’t make my own post...
  • sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    edited July 2019
    Is anyone able to help me with my decision to buy a new desktop to support Sims 4? Currently have a MacBoon Pro, but have been looking at Trident 3. I’m still considered a New Member even though I joined back in 2012/2013 timeframe so I can’t make my own post...

Most technical support, particularly concerning system requirements to run the game, has been moved to EA Answers HQ (AHQ), so you might be better off checking there and asking there if necessary.
    Perhaps this might be the best place to start as it explains what AHQ is all about.

Welcome to the Sims Section of AHQ

and here

The Sims 4 system requirements

• heidi11576heidi11576 Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited July 2019
    Why do I keep getting the soon you can’t play this app anymore every time I open the game? My system DOES support 64 bit. Is there some kind of 64 bit update coming? I have packs I would like to buy but am confused if I’ll ever get to play them. Yes I am on a metal machine
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    heidi11576 wrote: »
    Why do I keep getting the soon you can’t play this app anymore every time I open the game? My system DOES support 64 bit. Is there some kind of 64 bit update coming? I have packs I would like to buy but am confused if I’ll ever get to play them. Yes I am on a metal machine

Check in Origin -> Sims 4 -> Settings -> Game Properties -> Advanced to see if you're actually using 64 or 32.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

Check in Origin -> Sims 4 -> Settings -> Game Properties -> Advanced to see if you're actually using 64 or 32.

And if I am using 32 bit what do I do?
    It doesn’t say :(
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    type DXdiag in MS run command, it will tell you what you are running.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    It doesn’t say :(

Definitely do as @Goldmoldar says. If you're actually running a 64-bit operating system, you should be seeing the choice to run 32-bit or 64-bit Sims in Origin. I'ts possible that you *could* be on a 64-bit operating system but *aren't*.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I recommend PC Part Picker. How I was able to custom build mine.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited July 2019

I assume that isn't an option for Mac users? There is no info of that kind there for me.
    belpita wrote: »

I assume that isn't an option for Mac users? There is no info of that kind there for me.

That's correct. There's no 32-bit Mac version.
  • MarioCoxMarioCox Posts: 15 New Member
    > @LeGardePourpre said:
    > @ChelleJo
    >
    > EP04 Cats & Dogs is also 32-bit and will work with The Sims 4 Legacy Edition.
    >
    > GP07 StrangerVille is officially the very last pack released for Windows 32-bit.

> @EA_Mai said:
    > Hey,
    >
    > Leaving this link here, as you can read the details and FAQ in there - hopefully that will help clarify any questions ;) >>

Thanks EA_Mai, It is very useful for me.
  • purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member

The Mac version has been 64-bit only from the time it was released. The Mac change here is all about Metal vs. Open GL. Right now, any app that is still using Open GL and hasn't been optimized for Metal will generate a message that tells you that. It won't become an issue until the next version of MacOS.
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg

The Mac version has been 64-bit only from the time it was released. The Mac change here is all about Metal vs. Open GL. Right now, any app that is still using Open GL and hasn't been optimized for Metal will generate a message that tells you that. It won't become an issue until the next version of MacOS.

I keep getting that message on my newer Macbook, but not on my ooooold iMac, which is so confusing.
    So, what you're saying is that the message will disappear once Metal has been installed on my Macbook? Or will my game become unplayable?
  • purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member

I keep getting that message on my newer Macbook, but not on my ooooold iMac, which is so confusing.
    So, what you're saying is that the message will disappear once Metal has been installed on my Macbook? Or will my game become unplayable?

It's not so much about installing Metal-it's about installing Catalina, the next version of MacOS. The message you are currently getting are warning you that unless the app is updated, it won't run once Catalina is installed. If EA were to do nothing, then yes, the game would become unplayable-hence why they're updating it to support Metal, which will allow it to run on Catalina.
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • MarioCoxMarioCox Posts: 15 New Member
    I am not sure about it.

It's not so much about installing Metal-it's about installing Catalina, the next version of MacOS. The message you are currently getting are warning you that unless the app is updated, it won't run once Catalina is installed. If EA were to do nothing, then yes, the game would become unplayable-hence why they're updating it to support Metal, which will allow it to run on Catalina.

I see. Thank you!
    But why is there no such message on my iMac?
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    To clarify for Mac users who are confused, there are two very different updates on the horizon:

Update 1 - SIMS 4 UPDATE (dropping support for OpenGL and the update this thread is about)
    EA are updating Sims 4 to support Metal. Those with Macs that do not support Metal will need to install the legacy version of the game when it is released. Compatible models:
    • MacBooks introduced in 2015 or later
    • MacBook Airs introduced in 2012 or later
    • MacBook Pros introduced in 2012 or later
    • Mac minis introduced in 2012 or later
    • iMacs introduced in 2012 or later
    • iMac Pros (all models)
    • Mac Pro models introduced in late 2013, plus mid-2010 or mid-2012 models with a recommended Metal-capable graphics card.

Update 2 - APPLE UPDATE (dropping support for 32-bit)
    Apple are imminently publicly releasing macOS 10.15 Catalina. New Macs will come with this pre-installed, there will be no way to roll back to a previous version of macOS if your newly purchased Mac came with Catalina installed. Catalina drops all support for 32-bit Apps. Whilst Sims 4 has always been 64-bit for Mac, there is an executable file called ActivationUI which is 32-bit. This little file is prompting the error message Mac users see after patching the game and updating their current OS:

39d63f7b-d3b7-41df-95e2-c986ffdfdcd5.png

sims-4-mojave.png

EA need to update this file in order to get Sims 4 to work in Catalina. It was fixed in the April patch but the fix broke the game for all 10.7 Lion users so it was rolled back.
    apple-signature.png
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    So any news when they will be updating pc's to just 64-bit?
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    So any news when they will be updating pc's to just 64-bit?

The requirements for discover university are 64 bit for windows, and metal for Mac. This is it - we're being cut off :(

So how are Mac users doing with Catalina and the sims? I haven’t upgraded yet because I’m nervous