Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do they keep making the content I paid money for available for free??

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    edited July 2019
    Cement wrote: »
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    I thought in the live stream that they said they had some new base game recolors as well as some pack CAS recolors if you own those packs. I'm not sure though, so I'd be interested to see if the pack specific items still have the pack icons on them.

They removed the pack icons, but apparently you only get the new recolours but not the original swatches if you don’t have the packs. Obviously this doesn’t apply to the hair from dine out, though.

Basically the original swatches are now the DLC? That seems like a weird approach. "Hey, do you see this base game beanie? If you buy GTW you'll get more colors for it." :D

OMG what if EA starts charging us for DLC that contains swatches to base game items??? :anguished:

Hmm, I doubt it... They'll just have the new swatch as a separate item, like what they did with Seasons :^)
    338c20ded790e0ebed608b90fe6ad725.png081f7781d47b25dbe9c2d07b66b79eb2.png7d6dd736a49db7824ed310cf7e6a30cf.pngd8a4a6f8918e00206f10bd52361933d6.png

Oh my God, I hate that they do this sometimes. Next thing you know, they will add this dress and suit into the base game for free. 🔪🔪
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    DeKay wrote: »
    Sindocat wrote: »
    You had them first, and have enjoyed them longer. There's your perk. It's not like they took them away. Relax.

That's a terrible perk. You can only say that if all the people who got the items now have been waiting and yearning to get the specific items since release, but they were patient enough to wait. That might not be the case.

I agree. Like someone pointed out, the packs aren't in early access. This isn't a case of "you buy if you want knowing they'll be free for everyone later", or an mmo where you spend money if you want to, to get things faster. We were actually ripped off.

I think it's very disheartening to know that some people are ok with these practices these people shouldn't complain about being ripped off by EA ever, because honestly they don't deserve that privilege. It's not about the others, I couldn't care less about them getting new things, I care about how they just took items from paid packs and made them free and to add the cherry on top, they advertised them as new in the patch notes. They should have made full new CAS assets if they were going to include them in the patch. It's just not right.

Although, if it's just the ones recolours that they got, so much the better, but I'm pretty sure they've been given the full item with all the swatches, at least it looks that way in CAS. Because we've had BG recolours that were added through DLC's, and when you select that swatch the EP tag is on them and it appears on the swatch. Here it's not the case.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    Ok from that angle, it sounds very wrong.
    I thought in the live stream that they said they had some new base game recolors as well as some pack CAS recolors if you own those packs. I'm not sure though, so I'd be interested to see if the pack specific items still have the pack icons on them.

They removed the pack icons, but apparently you only get the new recolours but not the original swatches if you don’t have the packs. Obviously this doesn’t apply to the hair from dine out, though.

Basically the original swatches are now the DLC? That seems like a weird approach. "Hey, do you see this base game beanie? If you buy GTW you'll get more colors for it." :D

OMG what if EA starts charging us for DLC that contains swatches to base game items??? :anguished:

• Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    Because it's easier to recycle than creating actual new content. "Years of new content coming" yet they can't add new CAS items without recycling stuff 🤣

Hey, at least there's some original stuff. For example, my new favorite hairstyle.

Probably a discard from a pack 🐸☕
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
    edited July 2019
    Because it's easier to recycle than creating actual new content. "Years of new content coming" yet they can't add new CAS items without recycling stuff 🤣

Hey, at least there's some original stuff. For example, my new favorite hairstyle.

Probably a discard from a pack 🐸☕

It was probably going to be on Moschino SP let's be real. The pack we'll come out with 0 hairstyles and people will look back and ask: "why did that one guru brag about a hairstyle in the pack when there's none?" lol
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

Hmm, I doubt it... They'll just have the new swatch as a separate item, like what they did with Seasons :^)
    338c20ded790e0ebed608b90fe6ad725.png081f7781d47b25dbe9c2d07b66b79eb2.png7d6dd736a49db7824ed310cf7e6a30cf.pngd8a4a6f8918e00206f10bd52361933d6.png

Oh my God, I hate that they do this sometimes. Next thing you know, they will add this dress and suit into the base game for free. 🔪🔪

Yeah I hate it too. And the Season's versions only have one swatch!!! 🔪🔪
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited July 2019
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Do you get upset when a movie you paid $12 to see in the theatres is available at Redbox for less than $2 a couple of months later? Many many many things depreciate in value simply because time has passed. That's just the way things work. When you pay for DLC you're not only paying for the content but the ability to play it immediately.

Origin used to give away free games all the time. I got a bunch of games when they were doing that. A week after the Notre Dame fire, Ubisoft gave away Assassin's Creed Unity (which has a detailed replica of the Notre Dame) for free. People weren't upset with that, in fact they thought it was a very generous gesture.

But here we are just talking about literally a few CAS items.

@Pegasys were the stuff-packs £2 a couple of months later? No. Only on sales then back to original price.

When did the agreement "When you pay for a DLC, you're not paying for the content, you're paying to play immediately" happen? I am sure this hasn't occured in The Sims 2 & The Sims 3.

But sure it might be a few RECYCLED CAS items but if we don't complain now - they will probably recycling a whole DLC into the base game thinking we are okay with it.

What about those who paid DLCs just days before this update - it throws them under the bus.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @Finbar659

I voted that I did not mind for reasons mentioned in another post however i would defo mind if this was a test run to see how much they could get away with in future and then it got out of control as I would not find it very fair at that point.
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member

Noo don't say that, that GT suit is one of my most used CAS items because I'm a three-piece suit nerd :sob: the seasons junk made me do a double take the first time I saw them

If it gets patched in I'm gonna ugly cry
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    I took a really long break from the sims games and especially the sims 4 due to school and such so I missed out on a lot of these "getting DLC stuff for free" uproars. I honestly don't mind that these became base game items. I'm happy that more people can enjoy the photography skill even if I paid to get it. I've had it longer than they did so why should I be angry?
    Of course it's not an acceptable thing and I get where all the angry comments are coming from. But this is like how they are giving away the TS2 UC. You can go and protest that you paid a lot of money for all those packs like 15 years ago while I could get all of them just the same and it only cost me the price of the base game and an afternoon with customer service. You still got out of it better than I did because you've had 15 more years to play it.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Just hope their mistakes and obvious careless choices will result in more wisdom among the community.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Just hope their mistakes and obvious careless choices will result in more wisdom among the community.

I hope so. This could get mean and ugly very quickly if EA starts pulling gameplay features from various packs and patching those into the base game. EA is testing the waters, so to speak, to see if it's safe to continue along this route of expanding the base game. And since we didn't speak up when all the freebies included in the June update were handed out, they did it again by pulling assets from past packs and giving those away, too.

• AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    I didn't have a problem with the base game being free for a period. I wouldn't have a problem if they gave away like, I don't know, Spooky Stuff for free if someone buys Seasons during a promotion or something. I get it, sometimes things you buy go on sale or are free later. Whatever.

What I do have a problem with is the pratice of canabalizing packs people paid for separately, reducing their inherit value, to bolster a game all the people who bought the DLC already have by its very nature of being the base game. It's a bad business pratice and it's kind of concerning that they are willing to do it. The photography thing I can kind of give a pass but CAS items? Really?

I keep hearing conflicting reports on if the basegame got all the swatches or just the new ones. If it's just the new ones I'm at less annoyed and it becomes their habit of recoloring items again. If they have the old swatches too thats just rude to your older customers.
    edited July 2019
    dorcsyful wrote: »
    I took a really long break from the sims games and especially the sims 4 due to school and such so I missed out on a lot of these "getting DLC stuff for free" uproars. I honestly don't mind that these became base game items. I'm happy that more people can enjoy the photography skill even if I paid to get it. I've had it longer than they did so why should I be angry?
    Of course it's not an acceptable thing and I get where all the angry comments are coming from. But this is like how they are giving away the TS2 UC. You can go and protest that you paid a lot of money for all those packs like 15 years ago while I could get all of them just the same and it only cost me the price of the base game and an afternoon with customer service. You still got out of it better than I did because you've had 15 more years to play it.

They gave the Sims 2 UC to everyone who had the packs and who didn't, but because they stopped supporting TS2 as a game, no more updates, no more selling it through Origin, no TS2 store, no nothing. TS4 is still very much alive, much like TS3 which is still getting maintenance to it's online services, and support from EA (thank god).
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Akil wrote: »
    I didn't have a problem with the base game being free for a period. I wouldn't have a problem if they gave away like, I don't know, Spooky Stuff for free if someone buys Seasons during a promotion or something. I get it, sometimes things you buy go on sale or are free later. Whatever.

What I do have a problem with is the pratice of canabalizing packs people paid for separately, reducing their inherit value, to bolster a game all the people who bought the DLC already have by its very nature of being the base game. It's a bad business pratice and it's kind of concerning that they are willing to do it. The photography thing I can kind of give a pass but CAS items? Really?

I keep hearing conflicting reports on if the basegame got all the swatches or just the new ones. If it's just the new ones I'm at less annoyed and it becomes their habit of recoloring items again. If they have the old swatches too thats just rude to your older customers.

This.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • qpmommaqpmomma Posts: 135 Member
    EA is a scummy company. I was so disappointed with Island Living and I was really excited for it. It is full of recolors and content from other packs and it was full price! I can understand using one or two items but IL was FULL of them!

And now taking items from packs we paid for and making it BG instead of creating new content and swatches for BG?!?

PLUS, I am STILL having bugs with IL!!! FIX YOUR GAME EA!!

I am fine with stuff going on sale. I mean, I am still waiting for the TS3 store to drop in price and I’m excited when there’s a point sale. Everything eventually goes on sale. But to take content from already bare packs and putting them in the BG is scummy.

I can’t play with restaurants in DO because they STILL haven’t fixed the bugs! I only still have it installed for the CAS items.
  • husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    they have been doing this actions form the very begining, no suprise for me.

if the players didn't allow them then why would it matter now.
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

• KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    Sooner or later they'd be giving out Laundry Stuff or other stuff pack for free to commemorate 20 years of sims.
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    ...what about the other stuff included in the packs? did they patch in careers and more "relevant" "game changing" things into the base game?
    Does clothes and items make up 80% of the packs?
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    I'm not surprised that EA did it. It's TS4 after all.
    I'm more surprised that some people are ok with it and defending EA. That's alarming. People being ok with the fact that EA is totally screwing their loyal players over again and again..
    I'm not gonna pay full price on anything when it comes to TS4 ever again.
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    edited July 2019
    ChocoCub wrote: »
    Sooner or later they'd be giving out Laundry Stuff or other stuff pack for free to commemorate 20 years of sims.

Only way you would get me to pick up Laundry or First Pet Stuff. And they really missed an opportunity by not calling that pack "Laundry Day".

EDIT: OK fine they didn't miss it.
    Post edited by WaytoomanyUIDs on
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member

Only way you would get me to pick up Laundry or First Pet Stuff. And they really missed an opportunity by not calling that pack "Laundry Day".

It IS called "Laundry Day" (or "Laundry Day Stuff," officially).

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/packs/stuff-packs
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,406 Member

It basically feels like laziness. They want to include pack content in the sims for the 'rebranding', so they just make recolors instead of creating something new.
    Sindocat wrote: »
    You had them first, and have enjoyed them longer. There's your perk. It's not like they took them away. Relax.

The pack was for the content included, not for early access. I don't give money for early access as I think that concept is purely money grabbing. But I did buy some packs to use the content.

If they take out items from a specific pack, that pack will be less valuable. Especially stuff packs, where items/stuff is an important part of the pack. This can make a difference in the decision to buy a pack or not. So maybe it is not worth getting fed up about, but it is not fair to those who have put real money into buying packs.

??? It is called Laundry Day lol
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1