Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disabilites, Maybe?

Comments

• IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @LiELF and yet people being wanting Disabilities in the Sims since the Original Sims. So your version of utopia might be a disability-free society but others aren't.
    Samlish wrote: »
    I agree @Dragonfire2lm . It's not just blind and deaf disabilities that I could think of being in the game, there are many disabilities and rare diseases I could think of to represent my characters that I create, which I would love to implement into my game. Yes it would be hard to design in the game, but it is something I would love to represent many characters that could be created.

They *might* try adding mental health issues as well since Graham mention something to the effect of "Not making them traits"

If they add in mental illness I'm going to be furious. As someone who has a mental illness (anxiety/depression), I don't need that plum in my game. I play to get AWAY from the fact that I'm sick.

We already have the Erratic trait (formally Insane.) It was in previous games, too, and I don't recall anyone protesting about it. I'm aware that there are other types of mental illnesses; ijs.

Honestly, I think they would just focus on adding physical impairments.
    edited July 2019
    I think a decent way to implement these features is to tuck them away in CAS somewhere, similar to the gender update. That way it's there for those who want to use it, but does not auto-generate on random sims. And maybe include an option to make it auto, if desired.
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    Seeing how devs generally treat the topic of health and illnesses, I think they'd use the same tactics with disabilities. Euphemisms. None of the illnesses in the game, including the ones in doctor (and veterinary) have real-life names and symptoms, all are treatable, none are deadly (except the death by hamster I believe). So it might be things like prosthetics options in CAS, therapist career to help Sims with mental states etc - things to represent the idea of disabilities without including all of them or any in particular.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    i am sorry to say this but no tank you i clearly do not went to see disabilaty in the sims4
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    There are some well done mods for disability traits, including Autism Spectrum and PTSD. I enjoy using these traits in my game. Yesterday I saw some well done poses that incorporated a wheelchair, including transferring from a wheelchair into a bed.

If EA decides to move forward with disabilities in game, I hope they will continue to get input from people with those particular disabilities.

Which is what they're had been doing with wheelchairs. They want to hear from the disabled community to see how they can treat us fairly
    6adMCGP.gif
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    mock68 wrote: »
    I think it's a total no no. It's too big a minefield and patronising to people who have genuine mental health disabilities and other disabilities.
    What next? Teenage pregnancies? Domestic Violence?

being disabled isn't a bad thing, its just a part of life. idk why you're comparing it to something so horrifying as domestic violence.

anyways, i doubt the video is going to be able a disability patch in since its probably just a video celebrating their upcoming 5th anniversary
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    mock68 wrote: »
    I think it's a total no no. It's too big a minefield and patronising to people who have genuine mental health disabilities and other disabilities.
    What next? Teenage pregnancies? Domestic Violence?

being disabled isn't a bad thing, its just a part of life. idk why you're comparing it to something so horrifying as domestic violence.

anyways, i doubt the video is going to be able a disability patch in since its probably just a video celebrating their upcoming 5th anniversary

We can't talk about those things its forbidden
    6adMCGP.gif
  • AnnaRAnnaR Posts: 23 Member
    What about non-binary/intersex genders? What about skin diseases? We need that stuff in the game.
  • gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    edited July 2019
    The tone of the sims is light and has almost no lasting consequences whatsoever, so any disabilities they add will be treated as a joke. The only way I'll accept that is if they add fake disabilities, like someone growing antlers or something dumb like that.

But what we're not gonna do is add in disorders/disabilities that real people go through and trivialize it.

The only thing I'd maybe accept are temporary broken bones; that way you guys can have your crutches and wheelchairs, but it won't be permanent and it won't mimic something much more severe. Mobility issues in elders is also common and an expected part of life, so canes would also be alright (we got that in Sims 3, I think). Anything else would have to be handled with care, and I don't trust the sims for to add them in responsibly.

Edit: I also just don't want to see people making fun of sims with autism, depression, anxiety, or any other mental illness. I don't want to see people forcing wheelchair bound sims or other physically disabled sims on foundations and then taking away the ramp (there were load of videos with people putting sims in pools and taking away the ladders just to watch them drown). That is something that will happen if we get these disabilities, because people suck.
    Post edited by gemjas on
  • RomakiRomaki Posts: 5 New Member
    For many Sims is a tool for their storytelling, so the option of disability wouldn't be a mistake. The attitude towards disability displayed in this forum is bad enough for EA to consider this move as to raise awareness. We have different walking animations, having a wheelchair animation wouldn't hurt anyone. Using mental illness as a gameplay gimmick would be not taking the issue seriously, but in a world with disabled Barbies there's also a market for a disability/health expansion pack. Add flus, accidents with broken bones, anything lightheartedness. Comparing disabilities to dosmetic abuse is quite honestly insulting.
    edited July 2019
    gemjas wrote: »
    The tone of the sims is light and has almost no lasting consequences whatsoever, so any disabilities they add will be treated as a joke. The only way I'll accept that is if they add fake disabilities, like someone growing antlers or something dumb like that.

But what we're not gonna do is add in disorders/disabilities that real people go through and trivialize it.

The only thing I'd maybe accept are temporary broken bones; that way you guys can have your crutches and wheelchairs, but it won't be permanent and it won't mimic something much more severe. Mobility issues in elders is also common and an expected part of life, so canes would also be alright (we got that in Sims 3, I think). Anything else would have to be handled with care, and I don't trust the sims for to add them in responsibly.

Edit: I also just don't want to see people making fun of sims with autism, depression, anxiety, or any other mental illness. I don't want to see people forcing wheelchair bound sims or other physically disabled sims on foundations and then taking away the ramp (there were load of videos with people putting sims in pools and taking away the ladders just to watch them drown). That is something that will happen if we get these disabilities, because people suck.

One of the things Grant mentioned is let's say a wheelchair sim is visiting a sim who doesn't live in a house with a ramp, is the stairs would turn into something between an escalator and a ramp. So that's one fear you have probably wouldn't happen. BTW its seems to be implied that they're adding Real disabilities deaf, visually impariedness and wheelchair ones.
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited July 2019

One of the things Graham mentioned is let's say a wheelchair sim is visiting a sim who doesn't live in a house with a ramp, is the stairs would turn into something between an escalator and a ramp. So that's one fear you have probably wouldn't happen. BTW its seems to be implied that they're adding Real disabilities deaf, visually impariedness and wheelchair ones.

He said that? To be honest, I kind of doubt we'll get escalators in general, let alone stairs that can turn into escalators for wheelchairs. But I guess having a sign-language skill to communicate with deaf sims might be interesting, if for nothing else than to add more diversity in the game. I don't know, though. I'm still extremely wary of them adding something like that.

This is a subject that can be done very poorly if not given enough thought and care. It makes me uncomfortable to even think about all the ways that this can go wrong. But if they do go this route, it'll need to be completely optional at the very least.
    edited July 2019

One of the things Graham mentioned is let's say a wheelchair sim is visiting a sim who doesn't live in a house with a ramp, is the stairs would turn into something between an escalator and a ramp. So that's one fear you have probably wouldn't happen. BTW its seems to be implied that they're adding Real disabilities deaf, visually impariedness and wheelchair ones.

He said that? To be honest, I kind of doubt we'll get escalators in general, let alone stairs that can turn into escalators for wheelchairs. But I guess having a sign-language skill to communicate with deaf sims might be interesting, if for nothing else than to add more diversity in the game. I don't know, though. I'm still extremely wary of them adding something like that.

This is a subject that can be done very poorly if not given enough thought and care. It makes me uncomfortable to even think about all the ways that this can go wrong. But if they do go this route, it'll need to be completely optional at the very least.

Which is why they're asking for input from us "differently abled" people.

Hopefully by including disabilities they can fix the awkwardness of sims who wear glasses all the time minus PJs going to work sans glasses. It's something I hate about my simself when she goes to work. I mean how awkward would it be if a sim is always in a wheelchair and yet when they go to work they're suddenly able to walk?

Maybe instead of people arguing maybe we could try to plan together how (real) disabilities could be included in the sims?
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif

Grant.
    @IceyJ I fixed it. It's just hard to keep track of all the different Grus there's only one who I can keep track of because she's shares my (real) nickname
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited July 2019

Hopefully by including disabilities they can fix the awkwardness of sims who wear glasses all the time minus PJs going to work sans glasses. It's something I hate about my simself when she goes to work. I mean how awkward would it be if a sim is always in a wheelchair and yet when they go to work they're suddenly able to walk?

Maybe instead of people arguing maybe we could try to plan together how (real) disabilities could be included in the sims?

Well, I mean, some people just don't want real disabilities in their game, and that's a valid opinion. I'm not really sure that I want them either, and it's because I'm picturing how my struggles would transfer to a game where the Grim Reaper uses a touch pad. And what I'm coming up with isn't great, lol. If we get disabilities, I'd rather they be fake, like the fake illnesses we have.

I wasn't aware until now that this was a real discussion one of the gurus brought up as a possibility, though (I'm just now reading through those tweets). And the fact that they've taken the advice of actual disabled people eases a bit of my worries. Still, like someone else said here, they'd need to implement them broadly, so as to not misrepresent someone with a certain disability. And I agree that they'd also need to take care to avoid any possible immersion breaking game play. Like, if they add wheelchairs I also hope it's less of an accessory/chair and more part of the sim. Imagine having your sim that's in a wheelchair randomly stand up just so they can hug another sim or something. Not a good look.
    @IceyJ I fixed it. It's just hard to keep track of all the different Grus there's only one who I can keep track of because she's shares my (real) nickname

Understandable. Grant is the only guru I'm aware of that has said anything about disabilities.
    edited July 2019

Well, I mean, some people just don't want real disabilities in their game, and that's a valid opinion. I'm not really sure that I want them either, and it's because I'm picturing how my struggles would transfer to a game where the Grim Reaper uses a touch pad. And what I'm coming up with isn't great, lol. If we get disabilities, I'd rather they be fake, like the fake illnesses we have.

I wasn't aware until now that this was a real discussion one of the gurus brought up as a possibility, though (I'm just now reading through those tweets). And the fact that they've taken the advice of actual disabled people eases a bit of my worries. Still, like someone else said here, they'd need to implement them broadly, so as to not misrepresent someone with a certain disability. They'd also need to take care to avoid any possible immersion breaking game play. Like, if they add wheelchairs I also hope it's less of an accessory/chair and more part of the sim. Imagine having your sim that's in a wheelchair randomly stand up just so they can hug another sim or something. Not a good look.

Which is why I said I hope whenever they do add disabilities (presumably in Sims 5 they would have to re do the engine maybe for the Sims 4) they can not treat "Glasses" as an accessory because when I play with my Simself a lot, when she goes to work she doesn't wear glasses but yet all her other outfits besides PJs. I wouldn't say no to temporary disabilities as well.

I did think for a Sims 5 pets-related Ep Service dogs for disabled sims. And non-disabled sim families can be "puppy families".
    6adMCGP.gif
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited July 2019
    I would not want this in my game, it would be treated as joke and be trivialised. I have a long term health condition and I’m sick to the back teeth of seeing youtubers use it as a storyline and doing it badly.

edited July 2019
    @MidnightAura links? Considering the fact that the Grus are asking for differently-abled people to input they aren't going to be trivilazing it please look at the links I posted elsewhere on this thread. They aren't going to (IF they have mental illness) going to have it be traits. They are thinking of a simlish ASL for deaf/hearing impaired people plus the escalator ramp thing I mentioned earlier.

Last May they had a problem (a chair problem I believe) and after they talked to simmers who use wheelchairs they fixed the problem (never explained the mystery problem)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    @MadameLee I would rather not, as that would be revealing what I suffer from and we aren’t supposed to talk about that here anyhow.

The sims is far too utopia like and happy- of course it would be trivialised. Are they going to realistically portray how a depressed person feels? How they sometimes can’t get up in the morning? Are they going to portray the agony people feel in wheelchairs due to a physical disability? (Mine isn’t physical but for example I have a friend who uses a wheelchair and she really struggles. Not to mention the impact it has on her mental health. Can they potray that realistically? Of course they can’t. I am 100% confident they cannot accurately represent my illness and again the impact that has on my mental health.

If this goes ahead I will be horrified- I play the sims to escape my troubles in real life, not to see them be used as entertainment and a quick buff. But do I see it happening? Perhaps. Anything to pat themselves on the back and play the inclusive card.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,886 Member
    edited July 2019
    there is loads of ways this could go wrong

deaf is one that I can easily see added for game like sims
    because it adds in visual sense to not be able to hear
    sign language, writing for sims that can't understand it
    its all very understandable and I'm not too worried

blind not sure because I feel they would go overboard with '' oh no i cant see''
    its hard to display in game without going overboard or making it seem unrealistic
    or just too centered on that sunglasses man with a stick which would be extremely offending

wheelchairs maybe but there is so many things to think about with that when it comes to routing
    idk if they could do it properly
    prosthetics could see happening though

most of the things I just feel would have backlash of ''I have this disability and i can do this irl so why can't I do it in sims''
    because they would ultimately get stuck with trying to figure the limits of what disabled people can and can not do
    since there is always bound to be disabled person that can do much more than people expect they can

mental health I don't really see other than maybe added therapist /counselors
    that help with the existing negative emotions and option to work as one

the big problem is with how emotions are up to now

especially I personally notice this with ''gloomy'' and ''loner'' traits
    because loner implies your sim has social anxiety but it does not call it so it just says you ''prefer to be alone''

gloomy implies your sim has depression (sad all the time) but the problem with this is in sims you are unable to do things if ur sad
    which makes no sense for the people that react to their depression in opposite way than crying in closets

there should also be ''fear'' emotion in general for anything to make sense in mental health
    tense does not even come close to describe anything
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    @MidnightAura links? Considering the fact that the Grus are asking for differently-abled people to input they aren't going to be trivilazing it please look at the links I posted elsewhere on this thread. They aren't going to (IF they have mental illness) going to have it be traits. They are thinking of a simlish ASL for deaf/hearing impaired people plus the escalator ramp thing I mentioned earlier.

Last May they had a problem (a chair problem I believe) and after they talked to simmers who use wheelchairs they fixed the problem (never explained the mystery problem)

Actually, I believe it wasn't that they actually fixed anything because there was nothing to fix. They just didn't know how they would incorporate a wheelchair into the game, and then a player gave them some suggestions that Grant thought could possibly work. But nothing had been created. They were just discussing it. I believe that there was a Tweet earlier this year that declared they were still only discussing it. If it is ever implemented, it will take a while. But there are pros and cons to content like this, which is why they have been discussing it long and hard. They don't want to inadvertently end up creating a disaster.
    #Team Occult
  • Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    The problem with disabilities is how varied they are. You would never be able to bring real representation to the game without leaving tons more people out. My child is disabled, but is only 1 of 100 people worldwide with her condition, so how can I expect that to be represented? Also, as a special needs parent the level of care I have to give my toddler translated to the sims would make gameplay impossible.
  • CAITLINX354CAITLINX354 Posts: 157 Member
    It'd be nice if before they did this, they had settings for the players to help with their own disabilities. (I just want to make the text bigger so I don't have to keep straining my eyes)