Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What?! They didn’t fix mermaid genetics?!!

I thought for sure that this patch would fix the bug where children do not inherit the appearance of either parent if one parent is a mermaid... But looking at the patch notes, I guess they didn’t. I suppose they were focusing on their redesign :( ugh so I still can’t play with mermaid families.

Comments

• MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited July 2019
    Like, did they not realise this was an issue? I’m worried this will be one of those things that is never fixed...
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    I'm also worried about that. And people have been pretty vocal about it, so I don't see how they could not realize.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I’m sure they are aware of it. Lame amount of bug fixes but maybe they just couldn’t get a lot of the major issues with island living fixed in time. Some bugs just are harder to squash than others. Hopefully the next patch fixes a lot of the issues with island living since none were fixed with this one.
    Hope you’re right @Akl500P I do love TS4 and I’m not a complainy (is that even a word?) person usually but this was the most game breaking bug for me. I could even live with the toddler bug (despite the fact I am playing a 100 baby challenge).

If I’m honest I was shocked that such a big and obvious bug made it into Island Living, especially given what a large part mermaids are of the pack. Then I thought there’d be an emergency patch which would fix it, but there wasn’t. And now it hasn’t even been included in this patch. Something tells me that mermaids will be left broken like vampires with the draught of reconfiguration. Sad times.
    I want to do a mermaidacy so bad, but what's the point when the kids will look so different from their parents that I may as well just adopt and feed them kelp?
    @SimQueenie9 exactly! I know we can create a kid by mixing the genetics of the parents in CAS but it is just not the same. I like to have the pregnancy and baby stages and I like to be surprised by what genetics the kid inherits.
    @SimQueenie9 exactly! I know we can create a kid by mixing the genetics of the parents in CAS but it is just not the same. I like to have the pregnancy and baby stages and I like to be surprised by what genetics the kid inherits.

^ This. ^
  • simrhinosimrhino Posts: 14 New Member
    I'm so glad I waited and didn't buy this pack yet. I'm glad this patch fixed the vampire abilities that the last patch broke, but the redesign is hideous and pulling hair and clothes from packs to the base game is just shameful.
  • afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    Ugh this angers me so much. It's just weird that such a big part of what a sim is - genetics - is just completely disregarded in the case of this one life-state.
    I can think of no technical reason why this would happen. And only on born-in-game children and not in CAS.
    I was looking forward to this patch just for this one bug fix... and they didn't deliver.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    afai1261 wrote: »
    Ugh this angers me so much. It's just weird that such a big part of what a sim is - genetics - is just completely disregarded in the case of this one life-state.
    I can think of no technical reason why this would happen. And only on born-in-game children and not in CAS.
    I was looking forward to this patch just for this one bug fix... and they didn't deliver.

Are you really THAT surprised, they did ride that rebrand train HARD instead of focusing on bugs.
  • afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member

Are you really THAT surprised, they did ride that rebrand train HARD instead of focusing on bugs.

I'm not surprised, just angry partially because I should have figured that they weren't actually going to fix anything major
    Okay I'm a bit unpleasantly surprised, sure. Genetics is such a fundamental part of what a sim is. There was a bug in 2014 that resulted in male sims getting a huge jaw/tiny eyes when they aged up. I don't know how long it took them to patch it because I wasn't playing TS4 back then. That was game-breaking. Or at least it would have been for me. This mermaids having no genetics thing is also game-breaking.

Then again, they fix one bug and introduce a million more so this is just par for the course at this point. So maybe if they fix mermaid genetics they'll stuff up vampire genetics instead. Or aliens. Hell, stuff up everyone's genetics while you're at it.

I'm just...tired. So tired and so over it
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited July 2019

I'm not surprised, just angry partially because I should have figured that they weren't actually going to fix anything major
    Okay I'm a bit unpleasantly surprised, sure. Genetics is such a fundamental part of what a sim is. There was a bug in 2014 that resulted in male sims getting a huge jaw/tiny eyes when they aged up. I don't know how long it took them to patch it because I wasn't playing TS4 back then. That was game-breaking. Or at least it would have been for me. This mermaids having no genetics thing is also game-breaking.

Then again, they fix one bug and introduce a million more so this is just par for the course at this point. So maybe if they fix mermaid genetics they'll stuff up vampire genetics instead. Or aliens. Hell, stuff up everyone's genetics while you're at it.

Genetics aside, this is why I downloaded vampire backfloat bug fix mod knowing full well that the new patch is gonna air in a few hours but I had no hope of the bug ever getting fixed officially, so I rely on modders to fix the bugs.
    ihavemultiplegamertags

@afai1261 sadly you’re probably right with that prediction but I hope hope hope that they come through in the next patch. This is a majorly game breaking bug for me too. It was the worst Island Living bug in my opinion. I guess poor Nalani will just have to be childless until they fix this :(
    edited July 2019

@KaeChan2089 Wouldn’t different people have been working on the rebrand from the bug fixes? Even if not they should have had the decency to get rid of the worst Island Living bugs. They know that lots of people recently purchased a broken product from them (Island Living) so they should really have fixed that product at the earliest opportunity. Instead, almost a month later, we got new loading screens but no fix.
  • ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    im pretty flipping mad about this. my favorite family heiress married a merman, and i was 5 kids in before i realized their genetics weren't working. i was waiting for patch day in the hopes that i could play my favorite family again, just to discover, NOPE new logo and no mermaid fix. i will have to un mermaid him i guess if i ever want to play them again. this family is 4 gens in and this has ruined them for me. at LEAST they arent elder yet so there is a chance they can still have a few more 'real' kids. has some modder fixed this, anyone know?
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

@KaeChan2089 Wouldn’t different people have been working on the rebrand from the bug fixes? Even if not they should have had the decency to get rid of the worst Island Living bugs. They know that lots of people recently purchased a broken product from them (Island Living) so they should really have fixed that product at the earliest opportunity. Instead, almost a month later, we got new loading screens but no fix.

Oh I know this, I am being sarcastic, it doesn't surprise me one bit to constantly keep making us disappointed, I lost faith in them a LONG time ago.