Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do they keep making the content I paid money for available for free??

ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
Like, have they ever stated WHY they keep doing this? They keep patching in assets from Packs to Base Game, thus making them free. I don’t like it. It doesn’t feel fair.

If I buy the Moschino pack solely to play the new career, are they going to decide one day to make the career a Base Game feature after they’ve already gotten my $9.99? Will butlers be free one day, thus eliminating for many folks the reason they purchased Vintage Glamour in the first place? Can’t forget when they patched in the Photography skill that came with Get To Work smh.

I mean where does it all end? I’d like to know why they keep doing this.

Comments

• SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Agreed. They should get the opinion from the community first, they should ask what do we think about that. SPs are already small in content and taking things away that’s already been paid for isn’t fair.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Because it's easier to recycle than creating actual new content. "Years of new content coming" yet they can't add new CAS items without recycling stuff 🤣

Yeah, I mean I'll still have the items regardless, but what bothers me more is that this is sort of a cop out. They'll advertise new items in the game, but in reality they just took some existing ones and tore them away from the DLC without giving any additional value, apart from maybe a few new swatches.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I agree. :/ At least we got a few new swatches for the items that we paid for.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I feel like with the expansions and game packs it’s not as big of a deal but it is wrong on them to take assets from stuff packs especially and make them BG. You buy stuff packs (or I do at least) for the CAS and BB items so when that stuff is being added for free I feel especially robbed. It’s bad of them to do this at all but the stuff pack CAS items are really really rubbing me wrong.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I guess I just don’t get it.. even if it’s to save money, why not recolor base game items that were lacking swatches already?
  • PlumDiddyPlumDiddy Posts: 551 Member
    Idk but its infuriating and unfair to charge some for somethings but give it to others for free. I feel like they should create brand new content to patch into BG so EVERYONE gets something shiny and new. If that hairstyle was the only new thing they created then that shouldve been the only thing they gave away.
    Either that or just release a bunch of new swatches for clothing we already have in BG. But taking content that some have paid their money for and giving it away for free to others is not right.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    I guess I just don’t get it.. even if it’s to save money, why not recolor base game items that were lacking swatches already?

I for one would like new swatches for those BG boxer briefs and basic bra and panties. :D We barely have decent underwear in this game, so they might as well work on those swatches
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    This does just seem really...eh, I dunno. Like a slap in the face?

It started get to the point where I just feel stupid for buying any new packs--and I already only ever buy things when the go on sale! But, like...is the fitness stuff really worth even the seven bucks I paid for it, if you take out CAS items?

It'd be one thing if the lowered the price of these packs permanently, or patched in extra things exclusively for people who bought the packs.

Or, I dunno, even had some sort of rewards program? Like, if you got points for every actual dollar you spend on the game and then could use that towards buying other packs? Even if it was only like 10, or lets say even 5 cents for every dollar, that would mean if you bought all expansion packs at full price, you'd have enough to afford a new stuff pack basically for free. If you bought them all half off, you'd still have a six bucks to go toward your next purchase. And then maybe players would feel quite so screwed over when some of the content they paid for ended up in the base game.

I know some people have good reasons for resisting that, it feels divisive, but it might do a lost towards making people feel less resentful.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Kita5399 wrote: »

I for one would like new swatches for those BG boxer briefs and basic bra and panties. :DWe barely have decent underwear in this game, so they might as well work on those swatches

Amen.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Just stop buying packs full price and wait for sales. You'll feel much better later.

I don't pay for any content unless it's at least half off, and that's only if it looks appealing. TS4 is the first iteration where I refuse to pay full price and, sometimes, don't buy packs at all because of how bad they are.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Everything is like that ... I paid $1000 for something 5 years ago and over the weekend I went to a garage sale. They had a box of stuff "take me I'm free" and right next to it was the same item that cost me $1000 with a free sign hanging on it. It's just life!
  • AntonAnton Posts: 35 Member
    I have all packs so this kinda 🐸🐸🐸🐸 me out but imo singing skill still should be a part of the base game. Also, I wouldn’t be mad if they added new features to existing dlc’s (to work better with other packs, for instance).
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    My best guess is because they want to keep selling the sims4 basegame. Adding content from other packs later on makes them sell more copies. At no extra development cost. Combine this with the rebranding and you have a completely different game in 2019 than you had when it released in 2014, you got money from the DLC when it offered new content then you take that content and offer it into the basegame to sell more copies.

It's win-win. For EA.
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    It's not "free" now, just included with the base game. They wanted to beef up the base game in a cheap and easy way.

But more than that, they admitted with this same patch that they want the game to feel "fresh" and "relevant," and base game clothing at release is already aging. Trendy stuff comes with packs later, but they don't think that's enough to make the game feel current since it's going on longer and they seem more worried about the base game itself (and the wrong part of the base game, style not substance).

Perhaps they hadn't planned ahead correctly or perhaps they *thought* they'd be able to make NEW clothes but couldn't at this time (probably an important deadline to them). Still, it's the same result that they took the cheaper way to add not-so-old clothing to the base game, even though making something actually NEW would allow for it to be much more on trend or even cutting edge. Something cool for the kids aging up to teen and other people they're targeting?

I guess that wasn't in the budget at the moment, but they saw this as a very important time to "freshen" things up. :/
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I thought in the live stream that they said they had some new base game recolors as well as some pack CAS recolors if you own those packs. I'm not sure though, so I'd be interested to see if the pack specific items still have the pack icons on them.
    #Team Occult
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,587 Member
    It's not "free" now, just included with the base game. They wanted to beef up the base game in a cheap and easy way.

But more than that, they admitted with this same patch that they want the game to feel "fresh" and "relevant," and base game clothing at release is already aging. Trendy stuff comes with packs later, but they don't think that's enough to make the game feel current since it's going on longer and they seem more worried about the base game itself (and the wrong part of the base game, style not substance).

Perhaps they hadn't planned ahead correctly or perhaps they *thought* they'd be able to make NEW clothes but couldn't at this time (probably an important deadline to them). Still, it's the same result that they took the cheaper way to add not-so-old clothing to the base game, even though making something actually NEW would allow for it to be much more on trend or even cutting edge. Something cool for the kids aging up to teen and other people they're targeting?

I guess that wasn't in the budget at the moment, but they saw this as a very important time to "freshen" things up. :/

It's free now to those who haven't bought the pack for that item but have the base game. I had to buy those packs for those items, why should it now be PERMANENTLY accessible/free for those who don't have it?

It may be only a few items, but those were items that I was charged for and bought. That is NOT okay.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I thought in the live stream that they said they had some new base game recolors as well as some pack CAS recolors if you own those packs. I'm not sure though, so I'd be interested to see if the pack specific items still have the pack icons on them.

They removed the pack icons, but apparently you only get the new recolours but not the original swatches if you don’t have the packs. Obviously this doesn’t apply to the hair from dine out, though.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    Because it's easier to recycle than creating actual new content. "Years of new content coming" yet they can't add new CAS items without recycling stuff 🤣

Yeah, but it's just not fair. They shouldn't recycle items that people paid for and give it free to others, in the first place.

And to me, giving the people with the pack new swatches doesn't do it justice.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »

They removed the pack icons, but apparently you only get the new recolours but not the original swatches if you don’t have the packs. Obviously this doesn’t apply to the hair from dine out, though.

Okay, thanks.

That's just weird.
    #Team Occult
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    You had them first, and have enjoyed them longer. There's your perk. It's not like they took them away. Relax.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    You had them first, and have enjoyed them longer. There's your perk. It's not like they took them away. Relax.

so agree wholeheartedly :)