Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do CAS stories seem useless?

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    No
    Since they are giving us a choice on whether or we want to do it, then no. I think this will be a nice little addition to the game.
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    No
    I play rotationally, and I could see using this to start several households in a game.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    No
    i would say no because if i base myself from what i remember i think its something that was ask since 2014.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    edited July 2019
    Yes
    I like the idea of CAS stories but I don't like the implementation. If generating a background story is done only via quiz, then I think it will get old really fast. Why a quiz? I see it as being "fun" once or twice -- not every time I want to make a sim. And, honestly, my non-random sims are way more deserving of a CAS story then some random.

I hope I will be surprised by it though. Maybe we will have more options than what they shared? Always with the maybes....

EDIT: Just tried it out in-game. Here are my thoughts (and questions -- any answers would be appreciated):

So, the quiz reminds me more of a social app that gets shared on Facebook (or wherever). I don't think I'm going to enjoy doing that quiz every time I want to add a sim with a background.

Is there no way to add a story to ANY sim (not just new ones in CAS or added to existing families) without the quiz approach? There are more efficient ways to do so and they could be done by random or manual selection. So, while the quiz might be fun (once), a more effective method would give players much more choice without having to spend more time in CAS.

On a small positive, I like that they are still looking for new directions to go in, but I don't think a new direction is as important to the game in its current state than actually making the core of the game better.

Also, is there STILL no way to make one outfit in say, everyday, and copy it to another category in CAS? Because that is way more important to me than taking some quiz.
    Post edited by SAEldarin on
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    No
    We'll find out the truth today....
    funny-gifs20.gif

• MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    Yes
    Yes, now that I see it and try to make a Sim I want, totally useless.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    No
    I've tried using it, and as for the traits/aspiration part, you might as well use the randomiser. I've tried to make three Sims with specific interests and they got traits that were seemingly unrelated. The story part, i.e., the job and skills did seem inspired by my answers, so that does work well.
    But for me, it'll be less usefull than I originaly expected. Or maybe it was just me giving the wrong answers?
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    No
    Seeing it in action, I think it is really a great step forward. When the background information for the sim was presented at the end of the questionnaire I was very excited. Career, traits and starting funds were displayed in general terms. It felt like I was making a sim that had a connection to the world. Nice job devs.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    edited July 2019
    No
    Just saw James, create a sim using the stories and he was asked questions which had cat related answers. He didn’t choose any of them nor did he change the question and his sim ended up with “cat lover” trait. That trait seems forced. Seems like the stories system is just as flawed as other things.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    No
    The stories don't stick in the saved household, it's straight from CAS to gameplay or not at all.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    No
    I don’t think it’s useless.
    The only disappointment I have is that I’ve wanted customization options like this forever. Having the ability to set skills, careers, and their levels would be awesome.

Now we kind of have this ability, but without the options of customizing it to our liking. It’s randomized based off of a “quiz”.
    Otherwise, no, it definitely isn’t useless. I think I will find it useful when creating random sims that I need to quickly create to fill roles in my worlds.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    No
    I just tried it a few times and it's not great if you are trying to do something specific and want the extra funds and the skills. It will be fun for random sims though.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Yes
    I don't see a point to it. Maybe if they had done a personalities/trait overhaul as well as adding this it might have been neat. Right now its more like a randomizer with a job/skill boost.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    No
    Created a new family with it and started with 37k. Now atleast I can pick other homes besides the starter homes and feel like my sims recently moved from somewhere else despite being freshly created.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    No
    I tried again and managed to choose the questions more wisely. Both sims ended up with LTWs that didn't fit my plan, one was given the perfect job for him and the other got a job I didn't want for her, but their traits worked and they got some useful skills and extra money. There was no barrier to me changing the unwanted LTWs and the job I didn't want once I got into the game.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    No
    Now that it's here...
    It's making me laugh quite a bit. I can see it possibly getting old if used often, but for now I'm having fun reading through responses and hitting the next question button until something catches my attention. I'll probably do sims in the older way more often when I know what I want but can see using it for sure, especially if I need a nudge and I'm not feeling any driving inspiration of my own to make a character. It's cute and entertaining on it's own.
    egTcBMc.png
  • triniwaytriniway Posts: 16 Member
    No
    Yes, it's true that for us who like to make stories it can be kind of helpful to make a partly random background. At least, they gave us that now. I guess the memory system was too much to ask, they had to add something else, again...
  • simgirl542simgirl542 Posts: 1,071 Member
    I just made my first CAS stories family and put them into a house. I was disappointed to see that the careers, (her a doctor and him a writer), that were randomly chosen for them in CAS were not automatically their careers in the game. Also, they have no skills whatsoever in-spite of the fact that they were given a random skill as their strong point. The only thing that I saw that actually worked was the aspiration and the extra money, (though it wasn't much more then the base amount) so I see no point in using this feature again unless they fix the issues with this feature. That's why I voted yes.
    If this feature worked in full the way they said it would then I would use it again.
    Celebrating 11 years on this forum. Simming proudly since 2001.
  • JosieAnglinJosieAnglin Posts: 591 Member
    No
    I actually really like the idea.
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    edited July 2019
    No
    I very rarely add new sims via CAS as I play rotationally and prefer them being born into the world, but I'm sure some folks will get use out of this.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited July 2019
    Yes
    It is a useful tool for creating townies quickly and not worry about them being jobless or having no skills at all.
    Also for starting rotational savings, it's a good adition.

Edit: I see I voted "Yes" instead of "No", oops!
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    I can't really answer to "Yes" or "No" because after you create that household by CAS story mode, save the household and reload, the story element no longer exists on the character, so you are stuck with the base §20,000 add the usual §2,000 per head isn't counted either. so trying to create something with that is very tight for 4 sims in a household. However any jobs assigned to those characters remain within 2 or 3 ranks and some of those in the household end up lacking in skills where others have all they need to promote.

it is rather hit and miss so far with CAS story mode at this point.
  • GooseyGoosey Posts: 317 Member
    edited May 2022
    Yes

Post edited by Goosey on

Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!
  • LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    No
    I was looking forward to story mode and I ended up filming myself using it for the first time.

It looked to me like you could use story mode if you already had a character in mind and wanted to pad it out, so after trying to make myself (the result was semi-accurate), I also tried to get the game to create a well-known character, and it turned out much better than I expected!
  • LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    No
    I was looking forward to story mode and I ended up filming myself using it for the first time.

It looked to me like you could use story mode if you already had a character in mind and wanted to pad it out, so after trying to make myself (the result was semi-accurate), I also tried to get the game to create a well-known character, and it turned out much better than I expected!

It's this if anyone wants to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CEKopE4u3I&feature=youtu.be