Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disabilites, Maybe?

IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
I don't know why I'm getting the feeling that Thursday's #playwithlife video might be related to some sort of disability update. Wheelchairs, perhaps? Real elevators/lifts? I've seen many tweets using the PlayWithLife hashtag where simmers say the game helps them with depression or other disabling conditions. A guru who watched the video said it brought tears to his eyes. Hmmmm...

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Nah I don’t get that vibe, personally. I think they’re just wanting to say so many different kind of people play the game.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    True, many people play including those who might be disabled. I just think it's odd to need a 'special' video if that's all it is.
  • SpinningMouseSpinningMouse Posts: 2 New Member
    It would be really nice if they added in some disability options like that imo, but I don't really expect that they will.
  • SamlishSamlish Posts: 232 Member
    I would love having blind/deaf pets/humans/occults in the game <3
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    If they did I would certainly use it. The Sims, even with all the new pride content and such, could still be more inclusive with this. And it's useful for storytelling purposes, and for mermaids. They might have never learned to walk on land!
    funny-gifs20.gif

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited July 2019
    no the "Video" is why alot of people play the Sims they said so in Friday's Monthly Maxis. @SpinningMouse back when Graham was something(?) he had started planning something about disabilities
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Dragonfire2lmDragonfire2lm Posts: 158 Member
    Samlish wrote: »
    I would love having blind/deaf pets/humans/occults in the game <3

If something like that was implemented the devs would either have to address it very tactfully or in broad/safe enough options so as to keep any potential bad press off the game.

While the idea sounds great, the problem is disabilities are pretty varied across even the more well known ones like, for example, blind people.

Did you know there are people who can only see out of one eye or have poor vision in one or both eyes? I just feel like if disabilities were added it would be generalized for the public and not have any sort of variation.

I'm blind in my left eye and my vision is blurry in my right. I have prescription lenses and growing up, I needed to wear a prosthetic eye (it works like a contact lens, a shell of sorts going over my real, non functional eye) so my skull/eye socket grew correctly as I got older.

I doubt that kind of thing would make it into the game, if something like blind sims were implemented it would be all-or-nothing because that's what people think when they hear the term blind. Though there are the limitations of the game, the public response and the respect towards disabled people that would need to be taken into consideration. My example above is just one many different things that people can go through and while my disability is "my normal" not everyone will share that viewpoint.

Sorry if I went off on a tangent.

edited July 2019
    I agree @Dragonfire2lm . It's not just blind and deaf disabilities that I could think of being in the game, there are many disabilities and rare diseases I could think of to represent my characters that I create, which I would love to implement into my game. Yes it would be hard to design in the game, but it is something I would love to represent many characters that could be created.
    edited July 2019
    All I'm saying is personally I would enjoy having any and all unique disabilities in my game <3
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    It's just... that's too much realism for my game. I go full fantasy when I play my Sims, and I want to continue to keep my world the way *I* want it. I hope if they push this change on us that it's not invasive. Many people play to escape reality and some don't want to be constantly reminded of their conditions.

I get wanting to be inclusive, but I just don't have a good feeling about the way it would end up going over and how people would play with that kind of thing before all of the controversy spills out regarding insensitivity. It's a mine field.
    #Team Occult
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited July 2019
    @LiELF and yet people being wanting Disabilities in the Sims since the Original Sims. So your version of utopia might be a disability-free society but others aren't.
    I agree @Dragonfire2lm . It's not just blind and deaf disabilities that I could think of being in the game, there are many disabilities and rare diseases I could think of to represent my characters that I create, which I would love to implement into my game. Yes it would be hard to design in the game, but it is something I would love to represent many characters that could be created.

They *might* try adding mental health issues as well since Graham mention something to the effect of "Not making them traits"
    6adMCGP.gif
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @LiELF and yet people being wanting Disabilities in the Sims since the Original Sims. So your version of utopia might be a disability-free society but others aren't.

They *might* try adding mental health issues as well since Graham mention something to the effect of "Not making them traits"

If they add in mental illness I'm going to be furious. As someone who has a mental illness (anxiety/depression), I don't need that crap in my game. I play to get AWAY from the fact that I'm sick.
    It is a minefield. Some want disabilities in their game while some others don't. I don't really know how it could be implemented into the game, maybe as a setting perhaps? I cannot think of any other way right now myself.

I'm well aware that some people want it. I don't play in a "Utopia" (if I can help it) and I don't play realistically at all. That's why I hope it isn't invasive so those of us who find it way too realistic or depressing don't have to deal with it. For example, the patch that we got to make transgender Sims is done in a way that is not invasive. Anyone can make a trans Sim, but they are not randomly generated in the game. I enjoy the patch and I've seen others enjoy it, and it's inclusive, but it's not invasive for those who don't want to use it. So disabilities, if put into the game, should also be completely optional in CAS and not randomly generated for those who don't want them in the game. You see?

But that still doesn't ease my mind that there won't be players out there who play in a way that will offend others, post it online, and next thing you know there's controversy.
    #Team Occult

If they add in mental illness I'm going to be furious. As someone who has a mental illness (anxiety/depression), I don't need that plum in my game. I play to get AWAY from the fact that I'm sick.

I am with you completely on this. I have a close family member with a severe mental illness and it's extremely emotionally taxing in real life. The very last thing I want in my game is a constant reminder of what we go through. This would be the one thing that could make me close the game forever without a second thought.
    #Team Occult
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

If they add in mental illness I'm going to be furious. As someone who has a mental illness (anxiety/depression), I don't need that plum in my game. I play to get AWAY from the fact that I'm sick.

I am with you completely on this. I have a close family member with a severe mental illness and it's extremely emotionally taxing in real life. The very last thing I want in my game is a constant reminder of what we go through. This would be the one thing that could make me close the game forever without a second thought.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand, and would be down for, the team adding in canes, walkers, wheelchairs, etc. I wouldn't mind that at all. But mental illnesses are a totally different ballgame, and you have to tread much more lightly with them. I don't think the team would be malicious in their implementation of them, I just worry what other people would do with it and HOW they could even incorporate it without it being offensive. :#
    LiELF wrote: »

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand, and would be down for, the team adding in canes, walkers, wheelchairs, etc. I wouldn't mind that at all. But mental illnesses are a totally different ballgame, and you have to tread much more lightly with them. I don't think the team would be malicious in their implementation of them, I just worry what other people would do with it and HOW they could even incorporate it without it being offensive. :#

Agreed. But I think I saw somewhere that Grant said they wouldn't do mental illness anyway so I think we're safe from that potential fiasco. I'm pretty sure wheelchairs were mentioned and possibly blindness/deafness. I know a bunch of people have been asking for canes for the Elders as well, but I don't know if it's something being considered.
    #Team Occult
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I still can’t believe they changed “Insane” to “Erratic”. It felt so unnecessary.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited July 2019
    I wouldn't want this, though I have no problem if they add depressed state, but mental illness such as schizophernia is a big no.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    I don’t want disabilities in the game, I d never play disabled sims.
  • mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    I think it's a total no no. It's too big a minefield and patronising to people who have genuine mental health disabilities and other disabilities.
    What next? Teenage pregnancies? Domestic Violence?
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    mock68 wrote: »
    I think it's a total no no. It's too big a minefield and patronising to people who have genuine mental health disabilities and other disabilities.
    What next? Teenage pregnancies? Domestic Violence?

this I agree.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    There are some well done mods for disability traits, including Autism Spectrum and PTSD. I enjoy using these traits in my game. Yesterday I saw some well done poses that incorporated a wheelchair, including transferring from a wheelchair into a bed.

If EA decides to move forward with disabilities in game, I hope they will continue to get input from people with those particular disabilities.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley: