Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Uuuh, so...really?

Comments

• DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    TØP wrote: »
    Am I the only one who actually finds the loading screen and main menu just cool? :flushed:

Nope. You're not the only one.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    I neither hate or like it. I'm not on the load screen long enough to really matter one way or the other. Hardly more than an eye blink honestly. Maybe it will matter more one way or the other after the actual update.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »
    People. It's blue light that is known to cause problems with migraines. Blue light. Not the color blue itself. Not a blue screen because it's blue. It's a type of light emitted from electronics (and the sun). The screen color has nothing to do with it. That's psychosomatic.

Your monitor is projecting light.
    The color of the light will be blue...

That's not how blue light works... By Odin, I swear, people hear a thing, interpret the meaning without knowing what it actually is, and then self diagnose.

Here. https://www.popsci.com/blue-light-blocking-glasses-science/
    I think you’re right that “blue light” might not be the same thing as plainly the colour blue. But if people declare they immediately feel a negative effect related to a condition when they see it, who are we to not believe them? I have something similar with first person. I never did that in my game myself, but every time I see it on YouTube or here, I become unwell within seconds (motion sickness). I don’t feel I’d have to defend that phenomenon, it just really happens, even if it won’t for others and even when I can’t explain it.

I don't doubt that there are a variety of sensitivities, particularly when it comes to staring at computer screens. I was specifically addressing the "blue light" issue that some people have been panicking about. If someone's optometrist has told them they may have a sensitivity to blue light but didn't tell them exactly what blue light is or how it is emitted, and that person now thinks that anything with a solid blue tone is harmful, they are going to start having psychosomatic reactions and fear something they don't need to fear. Information is a good thing.

I mean, people are already talking about lawsuits in some of these threads just from seeing a two second loading screen on a live stream, which I think is a little premature. How do these people watch anything on a screen at all? How do they even play their game? The CAS screen is loaded with shades of blue. The issue with blue light is not the color blue, it's from having too many LED screens in your face for long periods of time, no matter what colors are on them. That's why it is commonly recommended to make sure you take breaks every 15 - 30 minutes. But blue light is also emitted by the sun, and natural exposure is good for us because it helps to regulate our inner body clocks and energy levels. But you don't want to stare up at the sun, right? It will burn out your retinas. Granted, the sun is a lot more powerful than a computer.

Random fact: People with lighter eyes, like blue, tend to be more susceptible to light sensitivity in general. My own eyes are a hazel, greenish/light brown and even I get very sensitive to bright lights, especially the new PC monitor I just bought recently, which I can luckily change all of hues and light emissions on. The white screens in Sims 4 are blinding sometimes, but so is just going onto Google.

But regarding the new loading screens, I think that almost any color in a bright, solid wall like that is going to be unpleasant to the eyes. I'm just astounded that they didn't take this opportunity to give us a more interesting screen altogether, a la Sims 2 style.
    #Team Occult
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »
    People. It's blue light that is known to cause problems with migraines. Blue light. Not the color blue itself. Not a blue screen because it's blue. It's a type of light emitted from electronics (and the sun). The screen color has nothing to do with it. That's psychosomatic.

Your monitor is projecting light.
    The color of the light will be blue...

That's not how blue light works... By Odin, I swear, people hear a thing, interpret the meaning without knowing what it actually is, and then self diagnose.

Here. https://www.popsci.com/blue-light-blocking-glasses-science/
    I think you’re right that “blue light” might not be the same thing as plainly the colour blue. But if people declare they immediately feel a negative effect related to a condition when they see it, who are we to not believe them? I have something similar with first person. I never did that in my game myself, but every time I see it on YouTube or here, I become unwell within seconds (motion sickness). I don’t feel I’d have to defend that phenomenon, it just really happens, even if it won’t for others and even when I can’t explain it.

I don't doubt that there are a variety of sensitivities, particularly when it comes to staring at computer screens. I was specifically addressing the "blue light" issue that some people have been panicking about. If someone's optometrist has told them they may have a sensitivity to blue light but didn't tell them exactly what blue light is or how it is emitted, and that person now thinks that anything with a solid blue tone is harmful, they are going to start having psychosomatic reactions and fear something they don't need to fear. Information is a good thing.

I mean, people are already talking about lawsuits in some of these threads just from seeing a two second loading screen on a live stream, which I think is a little premature. How do these people watch anything on a screen at all? How do they even play their game? The CAS screen is loaded with shades of blue. The issue with blue light is not the color blue, it's from having too many LED screens in your face for long periods of time, no matter what colors are on them. That's why it is commonly recommended to make sure you take breaks every 15 - 30 minutes. But blue light is also emitted by the sun, and natural exposure is good for us because it helps to regulate our inner body clocks and energy levels. But you don't want to stare up at the sun, right? It will burn out your retinas. Granted, the sun is a lot more powerful than a computer.

Random fact: People with lighter eyes, like blue, tend to be more susceptible to light sensitivity in general. My own eyes are a hazel, greenish/light brown and even I get very sensitive to bright lights, especially the new PC monitor I just bought recently, which I can luckily change all of hues and light emissions on. The white screens in Sims 4 are blinding sometimes, but so is just going onto Google.

But regarding the new loading screens, I think that almost any color in a bright, solid wall like that is going to be unpleasant to the eyes. I'm just astounded that they didn't take this opportunity to give us a more interesting screen altogether, a la Sims 2 style.

I agree about the power of suggestion. If I could get hold of the Daily Mail reporter who wrote that article about Trypophobia (aversion to clusters of small holes, or bumps) with pictures of same I would (insert bad word here) her/him. :# I never knew I had it until they wrote about it.

Say a certain colour will damage your sight so many times and a lot will believe it. Most problems are because people are not using their machines in the right conditions or too long. Saying they don't like a colour personally is OK.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey folks I'm going to merge this with another thread that's on the same subject.
  • KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    They went from teenager to children is this why we get this ugly blue color it supposed to attract younger children?

blue can be a sensitive color to some people.
  • Sunfisher0Sunfisher0 Posts: 211 Member
    Way, WAY too saturated colours... Especially that cyan on the expansion packs.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Has everyone sank in the fact that we are getting all of this craziness tomorrow? :#

I don't know how to feel about this, I mean my main menu and loading screen are going to be hella ugly. lol
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Has everyone sank in the fact that we are getting all of this craziness tomorrow? :#

I don't know how to feel about this, I mean my main menu and loading screen are going to be hella ugly. lol

I'm probably just going to fire up my game and play like I always do.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member

The only thing to sink in for me is the fact that the next time I fire up my game all my sims will still be wearing knight helmets and beekeeper hats with their towels.
  • GuyC_UKGuyC_UK Posts: 22 Member
    Going from whats been shown and posted here, give us the choice of screens atleast, please. because that New one is not all that great and prefer the current one we/I have.
  • GuyC_UKGuyC_UK Posts: 22 Member
    When is this Nightmare Occurring, cant say im looking forward to the new colour scheme or the Icons, any chance of being given a choice :)
  • Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    Personally, I’m sure I could eventually get used to the new main menu and the color choices; but the logo... oh plumbob... the redesigned logo is definitely not my cup of tea and looks to me very incongruous. The logo it has now would fit way better in the new style than this... um, thing. It doesn’t even match the blue on the “play” button.

This sums my thoughts about the new logo up:
    Why did they make the whole logo dark blue? It looks so out of place
    iDgp3vI.jpg

Onto the loading screen. I’m one of the weird ones that like the original loading screen the most. I think that version would actually look OK with the blue background paint job. Just feeling that the original one was aesthetically closer to the fourth iteration than any of the new ones...
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I can't believe that's the loading screen of a game in 2019.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Fortunately for me, my eyes won't have to suffer from this disaster cause I won't open my game anytime soon.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    Personally I couldn't care less about the new design changes, but the new logo leaves much to be desired. The old one was waaaay better.

Although real talk they should implement a "Night mode" where the bright UI gets toned down, some of us are weirdos that play the sims in the middle of night when we should be sleeping.
    EMrBkJP.png
  • playermarko456playermarko456 Posts: 4,972 Member
    So, that blue? Was wondering where it came from until I saw this:

maxresdefault.jpg
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    I agree that if it ain't broke then you shouldn't fix it...

Is this mess dropping today or tomorrow?
    I agree that if it ain't broke then you shouldn't fix it...

Is this mess dropping today or tomorrow?

Today.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    So_Money wrote: »

The only thing to sink in for me is the fact that the next time I fire up my game all my sims will still be wearing knight helmets and beekeeper hats with their towels.

Lol yeah the towel bug is atrocious. They fixed it, then it got unfixed again. I hope they fix it with this patch and the numerous other bugs IL introduced.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • AntonAnton Posts: 35 Member
    I’m glad we finally got rid of that white everything theme. It looked so bland
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    Oh they changed the logo on the top of the forums as well. This dark blue over a green background....not a fan.
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    I just noticed it too! The logo and the sims on top of the forums have changed. I don't mind the sims, but I don't like the dark blue logo.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited July 2019
    I just noticed it as well. It looks very 1950's
    giphy.gif/spoiler]
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • CeridwenCeridwen Posts: 228 Member
    edited July 2019
    I have no issues with rebranding or updating graphics; it's good to feel you're keeping things looking fresh and I know it takes zilch away from the rest of the game. I even like blue. It's my favourite colour. As a person who is photosensitive epileptic and also gets migraines, however, I'd like to advise the marketing people/whoever needs to be aware and can action change that the blue is far too intense. If it's uncomfortable in the smaller size we've seen here -and it is, believe me - it's going to have a greater negative impact when fullscreen.

Previously, your bright white screen caused similar issues, and you then added a grey plumbob graphic which helped to break it up and neutralise the intensity. For people like me, it was an almost-perfect and needed fix.

I would recommend either dialling the new loading screen, menu screen *and* your logo at the forum top here, plus anywhere else you're using this intense royal blue, way back down to a blue that is much more gentle, working with a more calming background. Even if bright colours are a Sims 4 look, it's not worth causing discomfort or worse in some of your playerbase. The need to "pop" is not so important as your players' health. It's only possible to turn down monitor brightness and contrast so far - mine are currently at 1 and 5 out of 100 respectively and it's still uncomfortable to look at! Alternatively, please consider adding a dark mode in addition if you want to keep the new look (also to your forum. I think I could spend more time on the forum if it was available here too).

Again, don't get me wrong. I love blue and it would be great if you could keep it, albeit a more relaxed shade, perhaps broken up again a la the grey plumbobs (but not with stripes. That would be worse!). Please consider additional touches and/or changes as suggested. I, for one, would really be appreciative of it.

EDIT: So, I've fired the game up to see what's what. Honestly, the lighter blue shades, whilst a little too saturated (hope that's the right term, saw some others here using it, so... :smile: ) aren't too terrible for me. But that royal blue, no matter where it is, is too much. My original thoughts above stand on a possible solution. I do like the freezer bunny and llama, though. Whatever happens, I'd like for them to stay. :smile:
    Post edited by Ceridwen on