Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Friendly Yeti Challenge

GordyGordy Posts: 3,018 Member
Yeah, I have no good segue into this. I just really liked the new yeti costume, and I thought I'd make up a story about a yeti to go along with it. But I also wanted to give myself a challenge, so I slapped "Challenge" at the end of this story's title.

The Premise
Picture this: a yeti, an abominable snowman from the Simalayas. He has come to Newcrest in search of friendship. But as a gigantic, primitive creature of folklore, adapting to a new environment is tough. If you follow his journey though, you'll see him overcome adversity and achieve his dreams. Or crash and burn in a humiliating tragedy of errors, either or.

The story is (mostly) told from the yeti's perspective. You'll see how he observes the world and come to understand his thoughts and feelings.

The Rules
  • No Talking: Since the yeti can't speak simlish, he can't use any words to communicate. Chats, discussions and the like will be avoided as best as I can. Instead, the yeti must rely on non-verbal communication: giving hugs, handing out gifts of any kind, or doing physical impressions.

However, he CAN eventually overcome his weaknesses when he learns a bit of Simlish. By reaching Level 5 Charisma, he'll have picked up enough words to use Friendly interactions. By Level 8, he'll understand the intricacies of comedy, and be able to use Funny interactions. By Level 10, he's fluent enough to speak the language of love.
  • No Reading: It wouldn't make sense for a yeti to know how to read Simlish. He can enjoy looking at a book's pretty pictures, but he won't be able to understand the words. Therefore, Skill Books are forbidden until he can ask a trusted friend to teach him how to read. (ie: he needs Level 5 Charisma and a Good Friend.)
  • Minimal Technology: The yeti doesn't know how to use a phone or a computer. Heck, even a fridge might be too complicated for him. He only barely understands the toilet as-is. Until he reaches Level 5 of the Logic skill, he's limited to only the most basic utilities to keep himself alive. (Shower, toilet, maaaaaaaybe refrigerators.) Communicating through technology (cell phones and computers) also requires Level 5+ Charisma.

Since Off-the-Grid has been introduced to the game, any items compatible with this trait can be used. Otherwise, it's too complicated for Dizzy. (But I'm sure you're asking, why does he know how to use one shower, but not another, similar one? Well, if it's too complicated for the devs behind the lot trait, it's too complicated for our yeti.)

If you have Outdoor Retreat: Beds might be considered too high-tech for some yetis. Dizzy has seen tents when people visited his mountain, but never a bed. So until he levels up his Logic skill to 2, then beds are also too hard for him to understand. He's kind of thick, really.

If you have Get Together or Jungle Adventure: Toilets are now considered too advanced for my yeti to work without the 5 Logic skill points, so bushes must be used instead.

If you have Seasons or Island Living: The shower can also be considered too high-tech, so our yeti must bathe in the rain. If he ever heads to Sulani, he can also swim and bathe in the waterfall.

Note: I'll probably ignore this limitation once or twice for story purposes. If he spots a sim sitting down and watching TV, it only makes sense that he might want to mimic them.
  • No Careers: He can't speak Simlish, he doesn't know how to behave in public, and his resume is just a dead fish with some yeti fur stuffed in its mouth. Until he learns the basics of the Simlish language (Level 5 Charisma), he'll have to make money by "Feeding the Void" (selling through his personal inventory or though Build Mode), or other ways.
  • Clubs: Yetis love company. But you need to have a tribe leader's respect before you can be accepted into the group. Dizzy can only join a club if he is friends with the club's leader.

Since running a club is hard work, he can create a club if he has Level 7 Charisma and Level 5 Logic, as running a club is hard work.

Note: The club system can't be used to circumvent the other rules. So no making a make-out club to get around the romance rule under No Talking. Make-out clubs will have to wait until our yeti understands the language of love.

• The Suit Stays On: Kind of a different rule, but still important to mention. The sim must be wearing his yeti suit at all times, at all costs. All his outfits are set to the yeti costume, and I have to avoid showing him out of costume to keep up the immersion. This is supposed to be an actual yeti, after all.

Other Stuff:
  • Vacation spots (Granite Falls, El Selvadorada) are off-limits until Dizzy knows how to use a phone and book a trip. Requires Level 5 Logic and Charisma.

The Goals
  • The yeti much achieve the Friend of the World aspiration.
  • Maybe have him find love and get married. Why not, right?

The Index
I eagerly await any feedback, opinions, etc. I'll keep playing this until I reach my target goals, or until I get bored an abandon it.
TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
Post edited by Gordy on

Comments

• GordyGordy Posts: 3,018 Member
    Parts 1 and 2 have been uploaded.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
  • SimmerOnLowSimmerOnLow Posts: 1 New Member
    THIS IS THE BEST THING
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    A simple challenge, but with lots of potential hilarity, love it!
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I love this! But I am gonna my to change it a little bit. Instead, it's going to be the last survivor of a feral tribe, and a girl. I hate the yeti suit, and I'm getting CC for the tribal look.
    funny-gifs20.gif

Part 3 is up. I also added some new rules for the challenge.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
  • witchypiewitchypie Posts: 18 Member
    This is GLORIOUS!!!
    Here's part 4. It's a small update. No real focus, just some miscellaneous tasks.

I'm going to take a break for a while, maybe work on the rules of my challenge. So far it's been too easy, so I want to balance it out a little more.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    Since we've gotten Off-the-Grid and I bought some new packs, a lot has changed in the game. Because of that, the challenge is getting a revamp. Except this one doesn't include blue loading screens. So please accept Part 4.5, which goes over some of the new changes to the story.

TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    And here's Part 5, in which our yeti heads to StrangerVille and encounters nudity.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg