Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do CAS stories seem useless?

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    No
    I have read posts in the past asking for this very thing. I use the MCCC mod, and truth be told, having to skill up the parents in a family I just created in CAS is tedious and time-consuming. I've taken to making sure my Sim families, once skilled, are then uploaded to my library so that if I have a need to re-start a save, I can bypass setting their individual skill set.

I look forward to seeing how this works out. This, for me, will be especially useful for the minor characters in my stories I'm telling. You know, creating that special someone for your targeted Sim, and giving them a family, so your Sim can have all the In-Laws woes they deserve. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    No
    I thought it was kind of annoying when I saw it on stream, but after they said it adds a career and some starting skills I was like nice
    It seems great for immersion, so I'm for it. Plus it's optional, so not everyone has to use it :)
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Yes
    I'm in the useless pile. Everyone said it all but yea it does NOTHING to enhance gameplay or personalities. I'm surprised at the poll results and I'm glad most people are happy with it though. It's nice for those who want it
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited July 2019
    No

For me.. I don't like to use cheats, I don't use moo, I don't use the buybug cheat, and I won't cheat skills. I just really don't like to open that console and mostly the only reason I will is to change a sim in CAS and now and then I'll use the free real estate cheat. Sometimes I use the money cheat but it's pretty rare. I just want this stuff built into the game somehow to access more freely as a part of gameplay.
    This isn't perfectly built for me. I would have done it differently but it's a start, and something different. I can see manipulating the questions to come out with more funds and the character I can see playing. Or I can see looking at the screen and saying surprise me and just going with some sim completely different than I'm use to making, but one I'll be open to finding enjoyable. It might be rewarding, time will tell.
    I can see challenge makers using this also, I'm really interested in seeing what happens there.
    Anything that adds to some simmers gameplay that is optional is a win to me.
    egTcBMc.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    No
    Not everyone wants to use cheats. I think some may use it it for inspiration for a character or story?
    I agree it’s not going to change a sims personality.

I guess it makes sense for character/story inspiration but the concept of being given specific traits and a possible career seems so out of character for The Sims franchise. The whole concept for me at least is to create a Sim from scratch and create their story as you play. I guess some players would be interested in starting an established Sim but that just isn't for me.
    I wouldn’t want my own sim to skip parts in life where they have to work for their money and promotions, but I’ve often ‘prepared’ sims in my games because I had a story in mind where they played a part. It’s sure useful you can create such a sim immediately now, instead of spending several sim days to skill them and give them promotions. As for the money, I wouldn’t care about making them richer (that’s very simple already), but it is great to make sims poor. I don’t know how easy that is in Sims 4 tbh, but in Sims 3 I have to buy them cars and delete those to accomplish it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    Need a third option for 'no opinion'. Until I see it in action, it's going to be hard to judge but I know people have asked for a feature like this. From what I understand, if you don't want to use it, you don't have to so it doesn't really matter.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I think it's useful, especially when your sim can start off with some skills, a career and even extra funds. I think it adds for a extra detail.

Think they could expand on this even more to be even better.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Yes
    I can see it being really fun and useful for a lot of people, but I answered the poll for myself. I have a lot of Sims in my library and often use them as bases for whatever Sims I build in CAS. Building the personality first cuts off how I build looks. For challenges, the trait randomizer is perfect.

I do really like that story mode will give Sims skills and change the starting money, though. I tend to use cheats to set my Sims up before hitting play, so I do that myself, but again, I see how this will be great for a lot of people.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    No
    I think it could be pretty useful for people who want to make their own townies, or even for people like me who usually use the same few traits/aspirations and never really branch out.
  • hermioniahermionia Posts: 289 Member
    No
    I see your point, but it can help differ your Sims from your other Sims and give them more character. Also, it sounds quite fun. Additionally, not everyone is up for cheating jobs and skills the hard way, so I think it's a good addition.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited July 2019
    No
    It's a start, but it gave me the impression that the changes will actually change the way sims behave but apparently not, maybe they'll do it in the future, but really survey seems unnecessary putting an option for starting funds and skill is enough.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    Yes
    Just watched the video and yes, for now seems quite useless for a player like me, who never plays random Sims.
    When I create a story I know exactly what career and traits I need even for "supporting" Sims, so it would only be useful if I could simply assign that.
    Quiz only complicates things.
  • MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
    No
    I didn’t know that you could cheat the career/skills, so this will be good for my sims. It’s not groundbreaking, and I think calling it a “story” is misleading, but it’s an ok addition.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    To me it feels rather useless for the main reason that the traits and aspiration are locked. I think it would be a very useful starting point to create sims if I could tweak their traits a bit more after the quiz.

I can see myself using it for background characters / extras in my stories but I prefer full control on the creation of my main sim. I will keep using cheats if I want to change their starting conditions. Although most of the times the cheats I use are meant to reduce starting money and delete skills from gallery sims.

If maxis unlocks the traits after the quiz and I will change my answer to useful and use it a lot.

Exactly. I raise my Sims in my main save from toddlerhood, so they grow up with a load of skills and useful traits (like the 'responsible' trait that allows them to avoid needed to do 'homework' after work in regular careers). I get a bit frustrated when I add a spouse to the family because the new Sim doesn't have any skills at all.

However, I wouldn't be using this to create the spouses, since I don't want to be stuck with whatever traits are generated by the quiz. It's not a bad idea, but we should be able to go back and do a bit of editing, rather than only having the choice of starting over.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    No
    It does sound a little interesting, I might try it to see how it is, but remember you don't have to use it. It is just for those who would like to. I do not see it useless. It might give people ideas of a new game play.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,657 Member
    No
    I think it will be cool. I will not use it often, but it might be fun and time saving when creating multiple new households. Especially if adults now come with a few skills and a job, and a little more funds. I hope this will be based on their age though, like fresh YAs should still come almost like before, while Adults and Elders should come with some extras.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    No
    I don't like that the traits can't be changed, but yes it can come in handy when you need or want a new sim, but can't think of any ideas for one.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    I'd rather we were free to choose the skills, funds and characteristics ourselves. So much for 'you rule'.
  • suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    No
    Time will tell I guess. I was very happy to get the randomizing button but often just keep randomizing until I get a trait I like. This should help me make sims different from what I usually make. I also like the idea of young adult sims having some skills to start out with. I just hope the questions are not the same every time.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    edited July 2019
    No
    suzanna13 wrote: »
    Time will tell I guess. I was very happy to get the randomizing button but often just keep randomizing until I get a trait I like. This should help me make sims different from what I usually make. I also like the idea of young adult sims having some skills to start out with. I just hope the questions are not the same every time.

I get the impression that the game picks randomly from a variety of questions, and we can just skip over the ones that feel irrelevant to a particular sim until we get questions that fit.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    No
    suzanna13 wrote: »

I get the impression that the game picks randomly from a variety of questions, and we can just skip over the ones that feel irrelevant to a particular sim until we get questions that fit.

Yep - they demonstrated that in the live stream, briefly. Also, the questions available depend upon what packs one has installed. If you have Island Living, you might get questions about mermaids or ecology. If you have Jungle Adventures, questions about archaeology, etc. You can answer or skip to a new one.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    No
    It might be interesting to do when I’m bored.

Kinda hope there’s a thing in the options menu for if I don’t want to check “no thanks” several times in a row though.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    edited July 2019
    Yes
    Honestly, I think this is a step in the right direction. I don't think at this time it adds a whole lot but I can see them adding wants/fears and likes/dislikes with this story mode. I believe that it's just a stepping stone onto something better. It actually gives me hope that they're thinking about sims personalities and stories in general. So while it might not be a game changer at the moment I believe it will be down the road.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,829 Member
    No
    This would have been perfect for when I was creating my sim's parents in game. A family that I would never actually play but wanted in game to develop familial relationships. I had to play them for a while to get them to the point I thought was suitable for elder parents.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    No
    I had to vote no, since there wasn't any in between option.
    They don't seem completely useless to me. I can't think of a couple of scenarios where I'd use it. But I know I won't be using it very often.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr