Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So...is name syncing a thing now?

I've been noticing some of my married sims now have the same last name. Now, sometimes I change the surnames to match, but sometimes I leave it, sometimes I hyphenate one or both of them, just depends on the vibe of the sims involved. But now, ones I left unchanged before are taking each other's names without my say so!

Is there a way to opt out of this?! Cause...cause I hate it.

I imagine for some players it's a plus, but I never asked for this, and it's baffling to me that they'd make this a broad, universal thing without a way to turn it off. I just want to be able to choose which households share a surname and which don't.

Comments

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Do you have MCCC? I realized it was doing this when it keep reverting the hyphenated names I did for some of my female sims. There's an option to turn it off
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Yeah, I think it's a feature of MCCC but you can change it.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    @icmnfrsh and @Mariefoxprice83, No, I have MCCC, but I always very deliberately have household name syncing set to DISABLED, and I double checked that it was before posting this. So, it shouldn't be that.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    it's not just mccc that does it now, it's also in the base game... i forget which patch put it in, but quite a few people had been asking for it. while quite a few others had been begging not to (i was one of the latter) since not everyone takes the husband's name when they marry. i mean, the landgraabs themselves are a big example of this, since nancy was the landgraab (at least in 3...quite likely in 4, as well) and had geoffrey take her name...

so, now we have to go in and manually change names after a wedding. though, at least unlike mccc, it won't keep reverting the names every time you load the game up
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    My recently married couple's last names didn't change. I don't use MCCC.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    FanPhoria wrote: »
    I've been noticing some of my married sims now have the same last name. Now, sometimes I change the surnames to match, but sometimes I leave it, sometimes I hyphenate one or both of them, just depends on the vibe of the sims involved. But now, ones I left unchanged before are taking each other's names without my say so!

Is there a way to opt out of this?! Cause...cause I hate it.

I imagine for some players it's a plus, but I never asked for this, and it's baffling to me that they'd make this a broad, universal thing without a way to turn it off. I just want to be able to choose which households share a surname and which don't.

Yeah that irritated me. I edited it again, to be hyphenated. And the kids names stay hyphenated. But I end up with them having the name as the married name when doing summon sim. It irritates.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    FanPhoria wrote: »
    @icmnfrsh and @Mariefoxprice83, No, I have MCCC, but I always very deliberately have household name syncing set to DISABLED, and I double checked that it was before posting this. So, it shouldn't be that.

MCCC would override EA in that aspect if you have the setting in MCCC set to not sync, so it's not EA at this point. I'd suggest making sure no other mod are at play, overriding both EA and MCCC.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I don't use mods, and when my Sims married a couple weeks ago, their names did not change. I have another in-game wedding coming up in a day or so, and will see if this still holds true. As far as I know, however, the game doesn't force a name-change on married Sims.