Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Excited for Stories!

Comments

• sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    I don't understand this addition at all to be quite honest. It seems no different to me than randomizing the traits and using cheats to select how much money your Sims start with.

I was also a little upset with how this new feature was described as giving our Sims a little personality before the game starts. If there's one major thing the Sims in Sims 4 have been lacking it's personality. You can choose any traits you want and your Sim will still act like every other Sim out there. Aside from changing their clothes, there isn't really any distinguishing personality differences that are visible among Sims.
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I don't like that sims can start with more money. I'm weird and I like starting off poor. It all looks cool apart from that though. :D

Well one, you don't have to use it, and two, after a while you can probably figure out what answers are more likely to have your sim end up with money, or with less than they'd have otherwise.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I don't understand this addition at all to be quite honest. It seems no different to me than randomizing the traits and using cheats to select how much money your Sims start with.

Because typing in "Motherlode" is hard on PS4?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    I don't like that sims can start with more money. I'm weird and I like starting off poor. It all looks cool apart from that though. :D

Not seeing the point of this argument unless someone is forcing you to start wth more money?
    Personally the idea to without cheat being able to start at any level and any home / apartment to be a GOOD addition to the game.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this and might start a blank world with 8-12 sims created this way and played in rotation

I'd try a blank world when they fix Townie clothes and looks.

I use MCCC to control situation, festival and townie outfits.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

You can always use the "Money X" cheat once you get in game if you want them to have less or more cash.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I kinda got the impression you can start with less too.

Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    I kinda got the impression you can start with less too.

I really hope so I really want to try this stories feature, like do we have to go through the quiz to assign a story? Can I manually make my sim start out with NOTHING? I am really interested in this feature. I hope I get to try it out. :)
    edited July 2019
    I'm looking forward to this and might start a blank world with 8-12 sims created this way and played in rotation

I'd try a blank world when they fix Townie clothes and looks.

I use MCCC to control situation, festival and townie outfits.

I never figured out how to do that.

Edit: also, qick question: I assume if I let MCCC draw from my pool of downloaded Sims as townies it will create tons of dublicates of Sims I have already moved into houses? That's why I have never used that option in MCCCC.
    edited July 2019
    Also, I am not really understanding the need for "stories". Since there is no story progression without mods, what's the point? They're just going to be cast as "Spa employee #2" and "Food stand saleswoman #4" anyway unless you actually play with them, right? The game won't make them apply for a career that furthers their aspiration?
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited July 2019
    Also, I am not really understanding the need for "stories". Since there is no story progression without mods, what's the point? They're just going to be cast as "Spa employee #2" and "Food stand saleswoman #4" anyway unless you actually play with them, right? The game won't make them apply for a career that furthers their aspiration?

This is another good point.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member

except that that isn't the point of this story mode. The idea is to create your own sims who have a history before you start playing with them.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I believe Stories also assigns them to a suitable career, but I could be mistaken.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Melmack wrote: »

Some people don't like to use cheats, and in some challenges cheats aren't allowed. I could definitely see this as a good addition for legacy challenge players. I might try playing a short lifespan game, since I'll be able to get a headstart on skills so it doesn't feel so grindy. Maybe even a short lifespan/7-day season just for fun.

Oh, I definatly think it's a neat idea, and I'm not knocking it. I just hope this isn't their idea of "adding depth and personality."

I think it's a good first step, especially if it affects the game-generated townies. I use MCCC and I think it does randomly add skills for townies so you're not grinding from square one when you add one of them to your household. Retuning the traits/emotion system which would make a bigger impact might be a bit more complicated, especially if you want to tune them without increasing the risk of emotional deaths. The answers you give to the quiz look like they do impact your Sim in terms of assigning traits, so a logical next step would be to adjust those traits to have more impact.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    liliaeth wrote: »

except that that isn't the point of this story mode. The idea is to create your own sims who have a history before you start playing with them.

But the new premades will also have stories.

Anyway, I guess...? But how will that affect things? I mean for Astrid (this version of her) I came up with the following in 11 seconds: "Born in Windenburg, started getting weird dreams when turning 18 about an ocean, a volcano and an island. Eventually the dreams got so powerful she dropped out of University and moved to where the dreams pointed her. Now trying to make a living in a foreign land across the globe, while at the same time feeling truly home for the first time in her life". Then putting in "Beach Life" aspiration, "Loving Outdoors, Child of the ocean and Dog Lover" traits and well... done.

Now, I am NOT making fun of people that feel they can't come up with stories of their own, but... except for premades, what difference does this really make? Will any of the randomly generated stories be as deep as what I came up with in 11 seconds? Or will it basically be "styled outfits" but for backgrounds?
    I get that it's difficult to do something like this and really make it matter, because to make it matter you have to remove a lot of choice. "What do you mean you want to be a stylist? Your character sheet says "Love dogs, Love the ocean, loves the outdoors". You can ONLY choose between Marine Biologist or Florist or you have to generate a new Sim". That would really be the alternative, and I don't think any of us would find that acceptable. I get that.
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    i dont like how its only for new sims and it sims like you have to take a quiz to get to it. i'd rather just add in the stories into premades and do it myself than take a quiz.

You can still create Sims the old-fashioned way or use the trait randomizer. I hope it'll help me get out of my comfort zone and use traits that I normally wouldn't pick so I can change up my play style just a bit. And if we can get more varied townies with some actual skills/jobs that will be a help.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    If you've decided to hate it, then hate away! Knock yourself out. Have fun.

All it really is - all anyone at Maxis has ever said it was - is a new way to approach creating Sims in CAS. It is even optional.

I have already shared how I feel it will be useful for me, and while it hasn't radically altered how I plan to play, as an option, it's welcome.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    You can see the archived livestream, in the first post of this thread, if you missed it:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/962543/let-s-watch-maxis-monthly-july/p1

I'm working while they are streaming, so thank you for the link. Will give it a visit. From what I've been reading here, this sounds like an official EA cheat for lazy simmers who don't want to bother thinking about what kind of sim they want to create. Concern has been expressed regarding whether this is EA's idea of adding depth. One does not add depth by swirling a stick in a shallow puddle. Depth is made by adding layers in a downwards direction, going from a half inch to, say, six inches.
    Sindocat wrote: »
    You can see the archived livestream, in the first post of this thread, if you missed it:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/962543/let-s-watch-maxis-monthly-july/p1

I'm working while they are streaming, so thank you for the link. Will give it a visit. From what I've been reading here, this sounds like an official EA cheat for lazy simmers who don't want to bother thinking about what kind of sim they want to create. Concern has been expressed regarding whether this is EA's idea of adding depth. One does not add depth by swirling a stick in a shallow puddle. Depth is made by adding layers in a downwards direction, going from a half inch to, say, six inches.

There are a lot of new players from when they gave away the game last month. It's not so much they're lazy, they might have no idea what sort of Sim they want to play. Others (like me) have found themselves stuck in a rut after nearly 5 years of playing and can use this to break out of their comfort zones to try something different. I think it'll take a while to really see the impact of this new tool on individual games -- I may use it sparingly for my own Sims, but use it to create Sims I can add to the game to liven things up a bit and get some diversity in my game -- with the combination of this or the trait randomizer plus the CAS randomizer features, it'll be a lot easier to create Sims for my own households to interact with.
    As long as it's 100% optional I'm game. More features is good. Less choice is bad.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    For me the generated wealth and skills are a welcome bonus.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I hope this will mean less of "this is my painter sim, with the Painter Extraordinaire aspiration, they're creative and an art lover" on the gallery because this is the opposite of a story.
  • MelmackMelmack Posts: 212 Member
    I would definatly call it a step in the right direction. Its almost an acknowledgement that sims lack distinction. I just hope this isn't the last we see of their upgrading of personalities.
    edited July 2019
    happyopi wrote: »
    I hope this will mean less of "this is my painter sim, with the Painter Extraordinaire aspiration, they're creative and an art lover" on the gallery because this is the opposite of a story.

Eh. It's about as deep as that or even less. "Hi, my name is Max. I don't like bugs, I don't have friends and I like to program computers. Here is my story: I am unemployed, has 3 points in programming and hate people."
    Again, not being mean here, or sarcastic. I fully understand this is a starter help, but as far as ACTUAL stories? No. Your downloaded painter above has a deeper story than what this generates.

Also, personally, I donwload Sims because of looks and nothing else from the gallery, I always through all traits and aspirations out the window unless they are made by Maxis and from a trailer or something. Then I keep them as they are.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Eh. It's about as deep as that or even less. "Hi, my name is Max. I don't like bugs, I don't have friends and I like to program computers. Here is my story: I am unemployed, has 3 points in programming and hate people."
    Again, not being mean here, or sarcastic. I fully understand this is a starter help, but as far as ACTUAL stories? No. Your downloaded painter above has a deeper story than what this generates.
    I wouldn't call one-dimensional characters "deep". I guess I made different connections (w/ the actual traits, not the questions) because my interpretation was neurotic librarian type history nerd, awkward in every situation, and taking refuge in technology.

I even made one such character, and she played exactly like intended. Definitely keeping her.