Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

More Off-Grid / Living Off the Land...Please!

MahyazmamaMahyazmama Posts: 21 Member
edited July 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I really wish The Sims would go more in-depth with living off the land and off grid themes.

- Collect Rain Water
* Washing Dishes
* Flushing toilet
* Washing hands
* Showering
* Watering the garden

- Water filters (to avoid the brackish water taste)
* Store bought (like Berkey)
* Homemade (like the ones you see on survival shows)

- Solar Panels (for lights, tv, computer, etc)
* For Lights (when cloudy have emergency candles or use the lanterns already available)
* TV (limit hours, makes the game more challenging)
* Computer (limit hours, makes the game more challenging)
* Dishwasher (if not running off gas or electric...have the option to convert to solar)
* Fridge (if not running off gas or electric...have the option to convert to solar)
* NOTE: The Solar Panels could look like normal panels that attach to the roof/stay on the ground or could look like the shingles for more expensive homes (aka Solar shingles..is the roof).

- Have Eco-Solar Appliances and/or make an option to Convert them to Eco-Solar (Handiness skill)

- Have Meters
* Tells you your rainwater levels
* Tells you your solar levels (be able to sell the extra your sim doesn't use)
* Could also require repairs/maintenance (that up your handiness skill)

- Chickens
* Collect eggs to eat, use in recipes and sell
* Butchering for meat to eat, use in recipes and sell
* Rooster for breeding
* Being able to sell chicks/Raise to add to your own chicken family

- Goats
* Collect milk to drink, use in recipes and sell
* Butchering for meat to eat, use in recipes and sell
* Maybe add breeding in this one too

- Compost Bin....Could buy or make Homemade (use to fertilize garden or sale)
* Food scraps
* Spoiled food
* Dead plants

- Compost Traveling Toilet
* Be able to put in inventory (for nomads/camping)
* Requires cleaning it every couple of days (contents can be dumped in compost pile/bin or buried)
* Could make a "fancy" or leveled up one to have a built in incinerator that works with solar.

- Small Fridge that goes in/under the counter (like the dishwasher) that will work off-grid/gas/solar.

Pleeeaaseeee! Just some ideas I thought I would throw out there but would like to see The Sims do more challenging things! Makes more longer gameplay time and less burn out (due to the game being too easy to play and way to easy to make money). Greatly appreciate all that you guys do. I've been playing since the first Sims 3 base game and love it a lot.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Comments

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    This might be better posted over in The Sims 4 Feedback section as this forum page is for Forum Ideas and Feedback itself and not the game... ;)
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/TS4-feedback
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Moved this for you :smile:
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Mahyazmama wrote: »
    - Compost Traveling Toilet
    * Be able to put in inventory (for nomads/camping)
    * Requires cleaning it every couple of days (contents can be dumped in compost pile/bin or buried)
    * Could make a "fancy" or leveled up one to have a built in incinerator that works with solar.

Could have one that fuels a cooktop with it's gas.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    no thank you would not went this in game i much prefer my sims to have a modern life as a player that his
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    This addition to it will probably come in a Farming Pack, which I know we'll get because I'm pretty sure it tied with University in a poll a while back.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• KeitaDarkwolfKeitaDarkwolf Posts: 2 New Member
    I love off-the-grid, but I feel there is room for improvement.

* Laundry doesn't work. It seems weird that you can somehow have running water for a toilet and washing your hands and doing dishes, but you can't fill or empty the wash tub. That was very disappointing.
    * Your laptop doesn't work, but your phone does. So I'm guessing you can somehow charge your phone on the lot, but not a laptop? Weidness.
    *You have a log-burning stove that...doesn't burn logs? There are also stoves that are obviously designed to look like they're running on gas, but they can't be used, even though the oven that... doesn't look like it burns gas somehow does? And if you are going to make it work on gas, why limit the functionality? That makes no sense... I presume the fridge also runs on gas, and if it does, it also makes no sense to limit its functionality.
    *There is somehow enough water to water plants, wash dishes, wash hands, use the loo and take a shower, but not enough to fill a bathtub once in a while? In a tropical island where water isn't exactly in short supply? There's a waterfall right outside...

Suggestions to fix these issues:
    * Water: In order of "upgradability" 1) The ability to collect water from a stream. 2) Collecting rain water. 3) A working, placable well. 4) A placable handpump. 5) A capped borehole.
    Any of those can be combined with a placable 1) JoJo tank or 2) underground cistern. As long as you keep your tank full, you can have cold, running water.
    Upgrade the tank with a water filter to get rid of negative moodlets. Add Electricity, gas or fire to get clean, hot water, getting rid of other negative moodlets.
    * Electricity: 1) Placable solar collectors that run only when the sun is out. With it, you can run a pc and charge your phone and maybe a few more items. 2) Upgrade the solar panels with a battery pack for cloudy day operation and limited use at night. This will also allow you to have solar-water heater for warm showers and the ability to have a bathtub. 3) A gas powered generator for "normal" electricity supply.
    * Gas powered: 1) Replacable propane tanks that can run your fridge and stove for full functionality. Can also run a gas-powered generator.
    *Fire-powered: Let the wood-burning stove actually burn wood. Use the animation for harvesting to "collect wood", which the Sim can then use to fire up that oven for cooking and baking and heating up water for washing themselves and their stuff. Also to use the fireplace.
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    Why don't toddler's get a hygiene boost from playing in the ocean? Also off-grid does not function on all lots such as Lagoon Lookout.
  • DaemonPawsDaemonPaws Posts: 192 Member
    I agree with you, OP. I would absolutely love to see the off-grid trait get really beefed up. There are totally modern ways to live off-grid, too (solar panels, composting, renewable bio fuels, private wells). There are so many opportunities that I feel like they missed out on it, and there's not enough stuff in the game to really support the off-grid trait, in my opinion. I would love to see more and I think your ideas are an excellent starting point!
    Origin - DaemonPaws
  • GothicKing13GothicKing13 Posts: 47 Member
    I 100% agree on this, I as well would absolutely love to see this lot trait get beefed up with more options to live with. Also, things being fixed as well. The inability to replenish the water in the wash basin for laundry or even trying to clean the appliances. I know, you can cheat that and just make everything self cleaning... but, alas! The kitchen counters unfortunately do not have that upgrade!

Another thing that I would absolutely love to see, to go along with this trait... I would love for them to reintroduce grocery shopping. Making it so we have to have the ingredients to prep the meals instead of instantly having to pay for them once we click on them. This way, we can only prep what we have the ingredients for and alas... making the meals we prep free of charge. That would really add to the whole "Off The Grid/Living Off The Land" combo. Gardening and Fishing for all our sims hunger needs, making meals using only fresh ingredients. Never have to pay for meals again. Minus "Thanksgiving and Christmas"... would purchase a turkey and ham for the feast. But, only needing to get groceries for those special meals. Living completely off the land for the regular everyday meals.
    With every deed, you are sowing a seed... though, the harvest you may not see
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I haven't used Off the Grid yet. I want to but I'm hesitant because I've read on the forums that it's very restrictive in terms of which items we can use.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    It’s great it came free, yay... but in my opinion this was a lazy route. Like they’ve given us the trait, but nothing else? No new gameplay features for something that should completely change your gameplay..? And considering they’ve teased off the grid forever now... ngl kinda gutted.

I wish they had done a GP for off the grid, maybe we would have had all these things implemented..? Like there are certain objects scattered through all the packs that have been half heartedly adjusted to work with the trait (laundry day), but then you have to have all the packs to have any kind of actual off the grid experience? I hope it gets an overhaul similar to gardening, and fishing at some point (and preferably soon), if they wanna go down the free route.
  • GothicKing13GothicKing13 Posts: 47 Member
    We got the lot trait, for free in an update. I can foresee a GP coming our way for off the grid living. Wells, outhouse, etc... maybe we could even chop wood for fires or the wood burning stove. I honestly wouldn't mind that feature... chopping wood for firepits, wood burning stoves, fireplaces etc... bring back groceries (I currently have a mod for this, though) that way we don't have to "pay" for each and every meal. But, actually utilize the produce we grow and the fish we catch. But, able to buy meat to cook with (I would use this more for the holiday ham and turkey meals... special dinners) everything else my sims would grow and catch their food. Also, get a handiness skill up and all the furniture they have throughout the house would be handcrafted, would be nice if they'd give us extra options for furniture as well to craft... haven't really looked at all the furniture that could be crafted. Bring back sewing... be able to make clothes/outfits for the sims to wear.

Weird Al's song Amish Paradise would become my theme song for TS4 if we got all that. :D
    With every deed, you are sowing a seed... though, the harvest you may not see
  • MahyazmamaMahyazmama Posts: 21 Member
    Ftm1942 wrote: »
    I 100% agree on this, I as well would absolutely love to see this lot trait get beefed up with more options to live with. Also, things being fixed as well. The inability to replenish the water in the wash basin for laundry or even trying to clean the appliances. I know, you can cheat that and just make everything self cleaning... but, alas! The kitchen counters unfortunately do not have that upgrade!

Another thing that I would absolutely love to see, to go along with this trait... I would love for them to reintroduce grocery shopping. Making it so we have to have the ingredients to prep the meals instead of instantly having to pay for them once we click on them. This way, we can only prep what we have the ingredients for and alas... making the meals we prep free of charge. That would really add to the whole "Off The Grid/Living Off The Land" combo. Gardening and Fishing for all our sims hunger needs, making meals using only fresh ingredients. Never have to pay for meals again. Minus "Thanksgiving and Christmas"... would purchase a turkey and ham for the feast. But, only needing to get groceries for those special meals. Living completely off the land for the regular everyday meals.

I love the idea of them bringing back the grocery store. It is pretty silly that even though I have a garden, I still have to pay for meals. So my off grid diet it limited. I either fish and grill on the fire pit or eat the fruits/veggies and herbs directly out of my inventory.
    [quote="Mariefoxprice83;c-17157527"]I haven't used Off the Grid yet. I want to but I'm hesitant because I've read on the forums that it's very restrictive in terms of which items we can use. [/quote]

It is. The laundry bin can't be refilled, there are only a couple of appliances that are off grid and the water fall and toilet bush are usable but for some reason using the off grid shower/sink makes your sim tense. They really need to go more ind-epth with the trait. They missed an opportunity with this one.
    Ftm1942 wrote: »
    We got the lot trait, for free in an update. I can foresee a GP coming our way for off the grid living. Wells, outhouse, etc... maybe we could even chop wood for fires or the wood burning stove. I honestly wouldn't mind that feature... chopping wood for firepits, wood burning stoves, fireplaces etc... bring back groceries (I currently have a mod for this, though) that way we don't have to "pay" for each and every meal. But, actually utilize the produce we grow and the fish we catch. But, able to buy meat to cook with (I would use this more for the holiday ham and turkey meals... special dinners) everything else my sims would grow and catch their food. Also, get a handiness skill up and all the furniture they have throughout the house would be handcrafted, would be nice if they'd give us extra options for furniture as well to craft... haven't really looked at all the furniture that could be crafted. Bring back sewing... be able to make clothes/outfits for the sims to wear.

Weird Al's song Amish Paradise would become my theme song for TS4 if we got all that. :D

I love the idea of chopping wood for fire, making our own furniture, and sewing. Great ideas!
    ddd994 wrote: »
    It’s great it came free, yay... but in my opinion this was a lazy route. Like they’ve given us the trait, but nothing else? No new gameplay features for something that should completely change your gameplay..? And considering they’ve teased off the grid forever now... ngl kinda gutted.

I wish they had done a GP for off the grid, maybe we would have had all these things implemented..? Like there are certain objects scattered through all the packs that have been half heartedly adjusted to work with the trait (laundry day), but then you have to have all the packs to have any kind of actual off the grid experience? I hope it gets an overhaul similar to gardening, and fishing at some point (and preferably soon), if they wanna go down the free route.

Agree.
    EA_Rtas wrote: »
    Moved this for you :smile:

Thank you. I greatly appreciate it. :)
  • Skyview0Skyview0 Posts: 7 New Member
    Well, I just started getting into the off-the-grid stuff and I'm thankful for all that has been in this post. I wish they'd have it work in many of the ways already stated. I'd love to see solar panels, and the cooking options, are quite limited. Anyhow, I'm off to my Sim Adventure of living off the grid!!
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    @Mahyazmama there is a mod for solar panels and a water heater. I use it for my off the grid lot
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱