Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Uuuh, so...really?

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    So the bright white doesn't give you migraines, but the bright blue does? Blue is darker than white...

The white gave people migranes. That's why they changed the first loading screen! They added grey elements to the now current loading screens, to make it easier to the eye.

The solid bright blue makes it the same as the solid white.

This was the very first loading screen:

TS4-2015-04-13-14-20-36-64.png
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    So the bright white doesn't give you migraines, but the bright blue does? Blue is darker than white...

The white gave people migranes. That's why they changed the first loading screen! They added grey elements to the now current loading screens, to make it easier to the eye.

The solid bright blue makes it worse than the current ones for that reason.

Well it makes more sense if people complained about both then. I hated the bright white and don't like this new blue color either but it's better than the all white for me at least.
    1500x500.jpg
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Techbilt wrote: »

Nope, I hate the white loading screens, the white needed to change, but I don't think the bright blue is any better. and with the white loading screens, It has just enough gray to make it tolerable with lights on, the neon blue in the loading screen will all the lights on still gives me a migraine.

I personally feel like the blue is a bit better because it is a pale blue and doesn’t seem like it will be so bright. I feel like I may be able to play sims 4 without every light on in the room now. If I didn’t have every light on I would possibly be blind by the end of a play session from the brightness of the screen. I will be honest though I like the dark the blue you did a lot. Maybe they will adjust it later on? We can hope. I don’t mind the plainness because it’s how the loading screens have been for a while so it doesn’t bother me. I do wish in general though we had a dark color for it though. I won’t know if the new one bothers me though until I play it. The white does but the blue doesn’t seem as bad to me.
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member

The solid bright blue makes it worse than the current ones for that reason.

Well it makes more sense if people complained about both then. I hated the bright white and don't like this new blue color either but it's better than the all white for me at least.

Honestly, if all they did darken the loading screen I wouldn't complain. Just make it a darker blue to match the blues of the 2 or 3 (I think I eye dropped one of sims 3 menus to get that blue) and no eye strain, the plumbob pops better and the white text is easier to read against the darker blue (imho) it was just poor design choice. If they darken the loading screen I'll be a happy camper for this update.
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    Akl500P wrote: »
    Techbilt wrote: »

Nope, I hate the white loading screens, the white needed to change, but I don't think the bright blue is any better. and with the white loading screens, It has just enough gray to make it tolerable with lights on, the neon blue in the loading screen will all the lights on still gives me a migraine.

I personally feel like the blue is a bit better because it is a pale blue and doesn’t seem like it will be so bright. I feel like I may be able to play sims 4 without every light on in the room now. If I didn’t have every light on I would possibly be blind by the end of a play session from the brightness of the screen. I will be honest though I like the dark the blue you did a lot. Maybe they will adjust it later on? We can hope. I don’t mind the plainness because it’s how the loading screens have been for a while so it doesn’t bother me. I do wish in general though we had a dark color for it though. I won’t know if the new one bothers me though until I play it. The white does but the blue doesn’t seem as bad to me.

idk maybe its because I'm the ripe old age of 26? Maybe I'm just old lmao.

the bright blue loading screen put me out of commission yesterday after seeing it on the stream. I really hope they are listening to the community on darkening the load screen. It being empty like that. I like it, darkening the blue is literally the only thing I want to change. Just wish the darker blue had been their first choice not the slap to the eyeballs blue. The white loading screens absolutely had to change, but not to an equally bright blue. To me, it still feels like the THX theme just instead of slapping you in the ear it slaps you in the eyeballs.
  • munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    I like it a lot! It's fresh, vibrant and exactly what the Sims needed! I think with an option to turn on 'night mode' or something for those who need it, this is fantastic! I know it appeals to Gen Z vibes, and that is probably why I like it so much, it's different, much needed and very, very fun and cohesive! While the rainbow of expansion pack icons was pretty, cohesion among all 3 types of packs is great. Only thing I would change, is maybe making the teal for expansions a different colour all together, like purple, to make sure it stands out properly. That's my only criticism.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    I can see why they wanted to change the white screen to a different color (imo the white was just as bad too) but I think they definitely need to go a darker shade.

I will miss the individual color per pack significance, though. That was always a nice thing.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Personally, I could care less what color some packaging is, and don't really care what my sims plumbob looks like, I just enjoy playing the game, I think it's cool if they wanna do something different as long as I can play the game it wouldn't matter to me if plumbobs had intricate designs lol
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    @izecson Are you talking about the June18th update that had fixes? That little gem totally borked two thirds of my mods, and made my game a glitchy mess. So, yes, I did expect this next update to include some fixes since it has been almost a month and the teams have had the time to fix at least some of the bugs affecting almost everyone. Glitchy lots, toddlers and Sims with plates, books and toys stuck to their hands, floating objects above disappearing floors, Sims stuck in a loop, Sims stuck on the new floating lounges, routing issues with a couple of objects. These are not small annoyances. We paid money for this 'experience' of Island Living and I expect it to be an experience to be enjoyed rather than one filled with mumbling obscenities at the monitor because I have to pause the game to reset a Sim every thirty seconds. The modding community has mods out now to take care of a few of these bugs, so I will be using those rather than taking a chance on another update or patch from EA before I see some comments and reviews on it. If mod creators are capable of fixing bugs weeks, or even months before EA gets around to doing it, something has to change. Since we have a pretty good idea EA won't change the way they do the things they do for whatever half-baked reasons they might have, I am going to change how I approach the game and what I need to do to make it a better experience for myself. Such as not buying new packs. The next two packs do not appeal to me. Not interested in either one of them. University will probably be the next EP, and released in November. Not interested. But the main reason why I am not going to buy new packs was in that Maxis Monthly vod. EA has forgotten everything that makes the Sims franchise special. Sims4 is like a trophy wife with the attention span of a gnat. Pretty to look at but incapable of carrying on a meaningful conversation. The new art work and the loading screen overhaul are simply horrible. I know I will ignore it after a couple of weeks, but I thought the ones we had were quite nice. While my game is loading I will probably make a fresh cup of tea, or a drink so I won't have to look at it. When or if I decide to download it. Which might be several months in the future. The only thing I wanted from this update were bug fixes. And since they decided to make all these other cosmetic changes, then add these to an update I was hoping would have more fixes than anything else, I will continue to rely on mods to fix the things I want fixed.

I don't recall seeing any posts from Simmers wanting these new changes. So is it safe to say we did not ask for these changes? But there are many, many Simmers complaining about the many, many bugs they are experiencing, and asking for these bugs to be fixed. EA couldn't hold off on making those changes for a while, and getting the glitches and bugs fixed their first priority? They should have. Just once I would love to see EA do the right thing for the fans. And the right thing they should have done was fix the game they created and published. If we are forced to rely on mods to fix our games, we are also spending a lot of gameplay time waiting for these mods to be updated whenever a new pack is released. Well, after waiting as long as I had to wait after that June update, it isn't something I want to do again for a long time. That means I won't be in any big rush to buy anything new for my game. And that means none of my money will be spent on DLC and going into EA's pocket. It's a mere drop in the bucket and they won't feel it, I am fully aware of that fact. Instead, I am going to donate to some of the mod creators that fix the bugs and create mods that add new gameplay to the game, so they feel their hard work is appreciated. It might inspire them to be even more creative in the process. It's surprising what they come up with and how they manage to make their mods work so smoothly. Funny thing is, they manage to do what they do in their spare time, just because they love Sims4. I find that refreshing and empowering. I can take back control of my game while helping someone who understands what the fans want. What a concept, right?

I guess this latest Maxis Monthly was the catalyst I needed to make some tough decisions about where Sims4 seems to be headed and how that fits into what I need from the game. It's like banging your head against a brick wall over and over when EA brushes our want lists into the closest trash can and basically ignores us. So my head-banging-against-hard-objects thing ends today. If EA can't find a way to make Sims4 less glitchy and add truly new content to it, what's the point in supporting them? There isn't. As long as I continue to purchase DLC, I am basically saying I am happy with whatever they publish. But I have not been very happy with the last few packs and the game seems to be stuck in a loop. The only choice I can make right now is to try something new. It's like going off on a new adventure. I have never tried gameplay mods before so I'm looking forward to trying one or two this week.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Sorry to still sound stupid, but all I get from reading through this is that a lot of folks are upset over something EA did to at least the initlal screens and maybe more. Eyes are frequently mentioned as are actual or potential health reactions. As someone who needs to be careful in this the concerns have caught my attention. I've not fired TS4 up in several days due to the brokenness caused by the June patch, so have no idea if this has already happened, is coming, is automatic, or what. Someone expressed concern about the actual sims. Have checked both news and announcement pages and found nothing that seems to relate to this. Pieceing together the clues has been difficult due to the rants and tirades they are buried in. Can anyone help sort this out? Thank you.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    ...Pieceing together the clues has been difficult due to the rants and tirades they are buried in. Can anyone help sort this out? Thank you.

They are responding to yesterday's livestream, now curated in the top post of this thread, here.

Changes come next Tuesday, in an update.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    It is all coming in an update they plan to release on the 17th. In four days. Did you watch the Maxis Monthly video yet? The new loading screen is going to be a very bright blue. Just watching it in the video hurt my eyes. I had to turn down the brightness on my monitor while it was on. There are a lot of changes coming in regard to the main menu layout, new pack art and a new backstory option for Sims in CAS that chooses aspirations and traits that depend on how you answer 10 questions about how you imagine your Sims personality to be. That part is actually pretty cool. But not cool enough that I am going to download another update any time soon. There might be a few bug fixes but there was no mention about what those would be. Hope this helps, @Oldeseadogge. Have a great day!
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    You know, it might not even be the finished product.

If it's rolling out on Tuesday it's pretty much done -- maybe some tweaking could be done on Monday if they read this forum, not so much to the general layout but they could adjust the shade of the loading screen color (maybe a darker blue as some have suggested). It also might look different on home computers than on the one we saw on stream, since everyone's settings are different.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited July 2019
    Eh, pretty sure there's a dedicated design team that works on things like this and doesn't take away from anything. I like the new title screen and cover box art. The cover box definitely needed more of a face lift. Looks a lot more interesting. Re-branding happens all the time with different products?

Everything else I'm pretty 'meh' with it. With the pack colors. Don't love it, don't entirely hate it either. Pretty neutral to it though I tend to like a more simple approach, but other than that doesn't really bother me. White backgrounds (even on the forums) always has me turning my brightness down on my screen often, so I don't mind a darker shade with loading screens.
    5vJrxmT.png
    Thank you both! Will give a look. I'm working while they stream so missed it. Then too, time is tight, and their videos tend to be long, so usually pass them by. To be honest, the only update I'm interested in is the one that fixes the havoc the June pacth inflicted. I've changed the settings to no longer automatically update, and wish I'd done that a long time ago. Other than some damage survey tests that were finished some days ago have not launched TS4, and may not again unless they fix things. Am wondering if a complete uninstall-reinstall, stopping before the June patch, would fix matters. Lot of work, though, and perhaps TS4 isn't worth it.
  • MirichaMiricha Posts: 470 Member
    That blue loading screen is awful. It's so bright. I don't need to be blinded every time I hit a loading screen thanks. I hope someone makes a mod for it.

As for the main menu redesign, I don't like it, but I don't spend long there so I'm not too bothered about it.
    수리수리마수리 수수리 사바
    my new simblr
    lWAXrDZ.png
    Have watched it and confess to being underwhelmed. Maybe it's because I'm not from California, but I find the re-branding quite unnecessary. Even if the $ came from the marketing or wherever else budget, the implementation still had to be done by the techies, and they have more important things to deal with. Bug fixing! Yes, bugs were mentioned, but it was unclear which platform. It was jumbled in with the console discussion, so hard to say if bugs were a separate topic. I may, or may not, find a use for the unlocked decorative items, but do wish the houses were functional. Why include a house if a sim can't live in it? The clear implication in all that is that EA has no intention of anything other than TS4 for the indefinite future. This is not a sign of a holding action to buy time while TS5 is produced, but that TS4 is it, it. I could go on, but my overriding feeling is that even if all that stuff is actually work the time and effort, there are more important things. The 'game' is broken, the iceberg has been hit and the icy waters of the Atlantic rise ever higher. The time and effort that went into all that would have been much better invested in making desperately needed repairs. This is especially true if TS4 has an infinite life span.

If it's rolling out on Tuesday it's pretty much done -- maybe some tweaking could be done on Monday if they read this forum, not so much to the general layout but they could adjust the shade of the loading screen color (maybe a darker blue as some have suggested). It also might look different on home computers than on the one we saw on stream, since everyone's settings are different.

Huuugh.

I wish they had made the main menu like this:

BjbJszQ.png

I don't understand why the "your collection" needs to occupy half the screen.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

Huuugh.

I wish they had made the main menu like this:

BjbJszQ.png

I don't understand why the "your collection" needs to occupy half the screen.

Yeah, the blue bar on the left side says "we're working on The Sims 4" while the blue bar on the bottom says "we've given up".
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    edited July 2019
    Starfree wrote: »
    as @Sindocat said, it's the Marketing team that handles things like re-branding & such, not the Gurus and the game development teams. Marketing is a totally separate area with their own budget, people & resources to do this kind of thing; so they're NOT taking any time, money or resources away from game development.

Except every change to the game needs to be merged with trunk, bugfixed and then you pray it builds, hoping some idiot didn't touch something they shouldn't have, then playtested and bugfixed. ALL of this is stuff that has to be done by the main dev team because you REALLY don't want some mouth breather from who knows where touching trunk and breaking everything. This takes time away from their other tasks.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • finnthesimmerfinnthesimmer Posts: 34 Member
    @Techbilt @Rouenpucelle I’m surprised they didn’t make it green! Makes more sense anyways. I don’t mind the rebrand either I just don’t want migraines!!!
    @Techbilt @Rouenpucelle I’m surprised they didn’t make it green! Makes more sense anyways. I don’t mind the rebrand either I just don’t want migraines!!!

The plumbob would fade into the green backdrop if that was the case, plus blue, green and white have been the logo colours in the franchise since TS2.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    Something else I've just noticed. Where are the New Game and Load Game icons on the new main screen? Don't tell me they've moved them under the drop down menu. I hardly ever use that big Play button.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
    Something else I've just noticed. Where are the New Game and Load Game icons on the new main screen? Don't tell me they've moved them under the drop down menu. I hardly ever use that big Play button.

They show up under the play button once you have a save.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member

They show up under the play button once you have a save.

Correct. They only don't show on that screen, because the Gurus in the livestream are playing a fresh install, with no saves. Since "new game" is the only option, the Play button is all it needs.