Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Excited for Stories!

Comments

• EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    @Sigzy05 there is definitely something new here. Whether or not its exciting for you personally. Not everyone plays with cheats, so for me the career boost and higher starter funds for certain sims is awesome :p
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
    verlainem wrote: »
    This will be fine the first few time but after that not so much. I tend to make my sims and then play generations and tell my own stories depending on the actions of my sims. I honestly think this is dumbing the sims down. Then again I have been playing since the first of the games. I could be jaded

ummmm i have been playing sims on and off for 19 years and counting and im actually really excited about this and think its very cool. not sure why people think "playing since the 1st" means something.
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    mika wrote: »
    I would have preferred story progression. Pre-determined aspirations do nothing to enhance gameplay.

I disagree. I think that having a series of questions to determine some base skills, job and background is a welcome addition that will provide lots of gameplay opportunities. Now your starting sim hasn't just been in stasis for the last few decades, but enters the world with some experiences, abilities and career options befitting someone who has actually lived in their world prior to picking up their lives in-game.

thank you! not sure why all the negativity? :) this is a neat optional feature i cant wait to use!
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    Its not a feature I will use personally, but can see it being nice to try once. I'm not big on randomizing traits and aspiration, I'd like full control. I also don't do stories for my sims (not even sure if actual stories are involved in this).

Happy for the people who are excited about it though! Can't really find any excitement about it myself. Just another game feature I won't use.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Now I've seen the quiz I think it will be useful now and then but I definitely won't use it every time I create a sim. I wish we could pre-write a biography though, that could be fun now and then.

I wish we could get some more LTWs though, particularly regarding careers.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited July 2019
    I can see where they were going with the idea but once again it isn't quite what a lot of us were asking for. Its a step in the right direction for sure, but it won't feel complete to me until they add better, more in depth personalities and traits that actually impact the way a sim reacts to different situations. Right now its all just more text that tell you what your sim is supposed to act like rather than show it.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • RosybearRosybear Posts: 51 Member
    Definitely not something I'd thought about before watching the stream, so I get what people are saying about how it's not what people are asking for, but I think it's really cool anyways and am really excited for it! To be honest, I love when they add little creative things like this instead of just giving us exactly what we want all the time, because I feel like I would've never thought of it if it wasn't made.

I am so excited to see the types of sims this comes up with, starting a new sim or new save always feels a bit the same e.g. If you're a legacy player, so this will be such a helpful and interesting tool.

And idk, to me it looks like the traits are kind of coinciding with each other - it seems like a more clever system than randomising traits, which can sometimes make them a bit too random :)
  • mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    I'm not sure how much I'll use it, but it could be useful. When I'm making sims they always tend to have the same few traits, and even with the trait randomizer now I usually randomize until I get a "good" trait. This could actually help me play with traits/aspirations that I haven't really touched yet.
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I probably won't use it because I don't like the locked in traits. I'm very picky about my sims traits.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    i think what I like most about it, is that it randomizes the consequences somewhat but not entirely. Like, sure I could cheat in skill or career level, but it wouldn't feel like part of the story, instead it would feel like micro managing.
    Instead with this system, I can think of who I imagine I want the sim to be, but the sims will be more different from one another, and they'll feel like they've earned those skills, like it's part of them, rather than something I push on them.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I'm planning to start a new themed game once the update happens. I've just spent the last hour planning out the households (up to a point).
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • rambahadoerrambahadoer Posts: 405 Member
    I wish we could instead of taking a quiz choose the traits skills jobs etc ourselvs this is basically a new trait randomizer. What would be great was if you could pick al the stuff you can now and then add career level skill levels relationships like girlfriend fiance etc add a couple of favourites like music and movie genre and set your household funds
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited July 2019
    I would have preferred story progression. Pre-determined aspirations do nothing to enhance gameplay.

But they're not really pre-determined, they're related to the answers you give to the quiz, and you can dismiss any question you're not interested in and get a new one. For example, if you're not interested in anything to do with Selvadorada you could dismiss that question about the relic and might end up with a question about parenting or cooking instead, so you'd wind up with a different result. And you can probably change the aspiration once you're in game, just like with any other Sim. (If I'm really feeling ambitious, I'll start one of the Family aspirations then switch between them to earn them all for my mega-parents.)

And none of that does anything to enhance gameplay. They've managed to trick people into thinking it's something special when it isn't. Its just a randomizer with a questionnaire.
    I wish we could instead of taking a quiz choose the traits skills jobs etc ourselvs this is basically a new trait randomizer. What would be great was if you could pick al the stuff you can now and then add career level skill levels relationships like girlfriend fiance etc add a couple of favourites like music and movie genre and set your household funds

but that would ruin the point. If all I wanted to do was cheat in the trait skills, career level and so on, I'd just cheat them in.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

But they're not really pre-determined, they're related to the answers you give to the quiz, and you can dismiss any question you're not interested in and get a new one. For example, if you're not interested in anything to do with Selvadorada you could dismiss that question about the relic and might end up with a question about parenting or cooking instead, so you'd wind up with a different result. And you can probably change the aspiration once you're in game, just like with any other Sim. (If I'm really feeling ambitious, I'll start one of the Family aspirations then switch between them to earn them all for my mega-parents.)

And none of that does anything to enhance gameplay. They've managed to trick people into thinking it's something special when it isn't. Its just a randomizer with a questionnaire.

It's not a randomizer. Your choices yield specific outcomes. Clearly you don't like the idea. Fortunately the devs have taken that possibility into consideration and made the process optional.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I'm looking forward to this and might start a blank world with 8-12 sims created this way and played in rotation Social Study style.

I have a habit of creating sims based around their job or aspiration which means they end up with efficiency/typical traits. I think it'd be fun to create sims based on a series of varied questions instead.

Could get some interesting combinations of traits/careers etc, and I think it'll be fun designing the sim's looks/style based on their CAS Story.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this and might start a blank world with 8-12 sims created this way and played in rotation Social Study style.

I have a habit of creating sims based around their job or aspiration which means they end up with efficiency/typical traits. I think it'd be fun to create sims based on a series of varied questions instead.

Could get some interesting combinations of traits/careers etc, and I think it'll be fun designing the sim's looks/style based on their CAS Story.

Oh wow this is a great idea!!!!!
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    Sounds great and welcomed change. I tend to not play with certain traits only and it'd be challenging to play a little different.
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    Sounds great and welcomed change. I tend to not play with certain traits only and it'd be challenging to play a little different.

yeah, I have a tendency to always use the same traits, based on what might be useful, which ends up with them having well... not a lot of flaws. A questionaire like this will give me more control than a regular randomizer, while still adding some variety to the sims I'll be creating.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    edited July 2019
    As far as I'm concerned, we need more Trait slots. Three is entirely insufficient. In Sims3, having five slots enabled me to give four good traits, and one not so good trait, to help round out a personality. We ALL have our flaws. Good character creation requires at least one flaw. I gave my Renown Surgeon the Genius Trait, but he was also clumsy and childish, for instance. This made him rather endearing.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • KalopsianDreamerKalopsianDreamer Posts: 183 Member
    edited July 2019
    I like this a lot, though I wish we were able to change the traits and aspiration of the sim after doing the quiz- I get that you're supposed to role with what you get, but the sims is a sandbox game so why put limitations in when they're not needed? I also really hope that you can set things like skills, careers and starting funds in CAS yourself when not doing the quiz..

I like the 'Create-A-Story' a lot, it brings a new feature to the game and it should be fun to try out, I can imagine it'll create some Create-A-Story themed challenges too. I do, however, have a couple of concerns with it:

- I don't like the fact that you can't change/remove the traits/aspiration the quiz gives you. I get the idea, that you've created a character and you have to roll with it, however the beauty of TS4 is that it is a sandbox game and you can do what you want with it, so I feel like this limitation has been added where it wasn't needed. I should be able to change the sim I'm playing with if I really want to, in my opinion.

-Will the quiz generate occult sims, or only humans? As I don't tend to play with occults as it isn't the way I play, however, I don't want to be forced into playing with a vampire or a mermaid as the quiz generated one because I own the packs associated with the species.

-Are we able to set things like skills, careers and starting funds ourselves if we're not using Create-A-Story? As I really like this feature, it makes sims feel more human as they're not starting out knowing absolutely nothing and it's a nice breath of fresh air to have sims starting with skills, or even just different financial situations. However, I want to be able to set this myself as an option if I'm making a sim from scratch as well.

Not entirely related, but I also wish they would add a randomiser for aspirations, too.
    ĆØΜ€ ŦØ ŦĦ€ ĆŘΔŦ€Ř - ΜØŦĦ€Ř ĆΔŁŁŞ ¥ØỮ ĦØΜ€
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this and might start a blank world with 8-12 sims created this way and played in rotation

I'd try a blank world when they fix Townie clothes and looks.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • HoneyPieSugerPlumHoneyPieSugerPlum Posts: 43 Member
    I think that this could be one of those features that can help those who like to play legacy type challenges as I can't see it not being taken advantage of in those challenges. They might even sprout out their own type of challenges. I'm most likely use this feature when I want to try and branch out from my 'Normal' traits and aspirations. It'd be good for those how are more story driven players but it'd drive the players that like to micro-mange up the wall (if they used it)
    [/]Working Hard is Important, but there is something that matters more: Believing in your self.-Harry Potter HPOTP
    [/]Always Believe you can reach the star and you will
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    This is probably the only thing in the update I find interesting. Very cool that sims have a chance to start with more money. Cool that traits and wishes in that are permanent.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don't like that sims can start with more money. I'm weird and I like starting off poor. It all looks cool apart from that though. :D