Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it safe to play the Ottomas Family?

2...Next

Comments

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    So, what causes corruption, how do you know you have it, and how can I avoid and stop it?

--T

That's the beauty of Sims 2 over Sims 3. What causes corruption and how it spreads is well researched and the causes are 99.9% of the time avoidable.

Read the links posted. If you've done anything on those lists, you've got corruption.

The last section of the link MsPhy posted said:
    "I did one of the things that I was told not to do, otherwise it would cause corruption, and nothing bad has happened. It must be safe!"

This deserves a section of its own because it is so dangerously wrong. Just because nothing bad happens as soon as you do something doesn't mean it's safe! Think about the ingredients in hair shampoo, for example. A large amount of those chemicals cause cancer, yet you never emerge from the shower an automatic cancer victim because those chemicals need to build up in your body in order to kill you. Like a virus in incubation, it will show no harmful symptoms, which prompts you to use it again and again. When the symptoms show up, it's far too late to go back. The same goes with corruption - for some people, the symptoms of corruption appear immediately, while other people don't notice anything for months, even years. However, in both ways, it's still corruption, and it will come back to haunt you!

To add to this, and sometimes you die before you get cancer. Or in game terms, sometimes you get bored with the neighborhood and reset it or delete it depending on if it's a pre-made neighborhood or a custom one.

So if you read through that page and realize you've done some of them, as long as they aren't the ones that corrupt the actual game files, then you may end up being fine for the rest of the time you play that neighborhood. You could very well end up in the same situation as MsPhy did with her neighborhood when she had a pre-patch Samantha give birth. Got bored with the neighborhood before the corruption caused any problems.

And you know it's nearer to the end when you start seeing multiple symptoms of corruption. Just like sneezing can be a symptom of a cold, sometimes it's just something tickling your nose. But whether or not it's allergies or a cold becomes more obvious if other symptoms show up.
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Sorry for posting on an old thread, but I'm new and this is the most relevant topic I could find.

I just downloaded The Sims 2 Super Collection, and I was wondering if the Ottomas family is still glitched. Even though they're a bit weird-looking, I kind of like them, but I don't want them to corrupt my game. Is it safe to play them?
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited July 2019
    AyKooChao wrote: »
    Sorry for posting on an old thread, but I'm new and this is the most relevant topic I could find.

I just downloaded The Sims 2 Super Collection, and I was wondering if the Ottomas family is still glitched. Even though they're a bit weird-looking, I kind of like them, but I don't want them to corrupt my game. Is it safe to play them?

If the game comes patched or you've patched the game, they should be fine.

If you want to be sure generate a brand new neighborhood or use a premade neighborhood since you can restore those to factory default and put the family down on a lot and play until she gives birth. If the father is Peter then it's fine. If it's something like Brandi Broke or a stray cat, then no.

The only other way you can be sure is to use a mod to terminate the pregnancy. You can always get her pregnant again with cheats and then use forcetwins to force the twins again to get her back to as close to where she was when she shipped if you want or you could just leave her as not pregnant until you're ready for it in game.
    Thanks! The twins were just born and they're not glitchy at all. :smile: (Except that the game didn't let me name them for some reason.)
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
    ^Never mind. It just did. ^^;
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4