Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Excited for Stories!

Comments

• FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Btw I wonder if the game uses this for randomizing new sims. They might make more sense after this.. except for their clothing and relationships.
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Btw I wonder if the game uses this for randomizing new sims. They might make more sense after this.. except for their clothing and relationships.

I really hope they will.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member

This!!! I really hope they did this.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I am interested in how it plays out when one comes to it with a fairly cohesive notion of the Sim, rather than the round-robin, pick-an-answer approach we saw in the live stream. That resulted in a real grab-bag of Traits and a somewhat random Aspiration, understandably.
    I really liked their result though, made me think of a mousy nerdy sim working in a history museum. Interested in relics but from behind the safety of an exhibit glass, not a field person at all. Good at cataloguing artifacts and programming their own database system for it.

Yeah I know it said unemployed, but that job doesn't exist in the sims anyway. You could still play like that if you wanted.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    Excuse me but....where is the option to make individual biographies for my sims? Why do they keep adding things without depth? Or lacking something? And I can already see the quiz being annoying as hell, once again, lack of sandbox gameplay added. Plus...there's nothing really new here, but I do like the option to make a little story for the sim. I can see myself using this maybe once and then get over it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I think it sounds interesting. Especially if I want to try something new
    That's the main appeal to me -- I tend to stick to the same few traits or aspirations and this will give me extra incentive to try something different. And to be able to start with some skill points and a different starting Simoleon amount without using cheats adds to the challenge. Instead of creating a story and making a Sim to fit it, I can make the Sim then come up with a story to fit him/her.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Excuse me but....where is the option to make individual biographies for my sims? Why do they keep adding things without depth? Or lacking something? And I can already see the quiz being annoying as hell, once again, lack of sandbox gameplay added. Plus...there's nothing really new here, but I do like the option to make a little story for the sim. I can see myself using this maybe once and then get over it.

The quiz is totally optional
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    I think the quiz has more use for twitch players in my opinion, as more of a group made a character, it's cool but not something I think that I'm going to use all that often. But I do think that the story feature is really cool! I'd really like to play around with it.
  • Dragonfire2lmDragonfire2lm Posts: 158 Member
    I like the idea and I'm excited for it. I can't wait to try and answer the questions honestly just to see what I get. Plus I generally gravitate towards things that have an effect on or add to gameplay in some way (Vampires, the cooking aspirations, book of life, gardening and so on) so I can see the benefits of something like this and since I have almost all the packs (I'm on PS4, My First Pet Stuff still hasn't been ported to console yet and I'm not going to get Toddler's Stuff since I don't play them), it'll be fun to see what questions pop up.

Unfortunately I'm a console player so it'll be a bit of a wait before I can try it out.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I think it's a neat alternative to the standard CAS experience.
    happyopi wrote: »
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I am interested in how it plays out when one comes to it with a fairly cohesive notion of the Sim, rather than the round-robin, pick-an-answer approach we saw in the live stream. That resulted in a real grab-bag of Traits and a somewhat random Aspiration, understandably.
    I really liked their result though, made me think of a mousy nerdy sim working in a history museum. Interested in relics but from behind the safety of an exhibit glass, not a field person at all. Good at cataloguing artifacts and programming their own database system for it.

Yeah I know it said unemployed, but that job doesn't exist in the sims anyway. You could still play like that if you wanted.

You could create that "job" with the Ministry of Labor registration feature, then to make money you could have your Sim write and publish books -- once you unlock the Nonfiction category you could write history books (my Sim in Sulani just wrote "Something Fishy: A History of Sulani". :) If you're not interested in anything to do with Selvadorada, you could just skip that question and find ones that appeal more to your tastes.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    What is everyone here posting about?
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I would have preferred story progression. Pre-determined aspirations do nothing to enhance gameplay.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member

The new CAS option coming to the game, and previewed in today's livestream. It assigns Aspiration and Traits "blind" based on a short, ten-question character survey, and can award varying starting conditions, career, etc.
    In today's Maxis Monthly Graham introduced a new feature coming in next week's patch. In CAS you'll have an option of creating Sims the usual way or you can take a short quiz which will assign traits and aspirations based on the answers, and will also give your Sim some starting skills, maybe a job, and higher (or maybe lower?) starting funds. With this and the recent Trait Randomizer it'll be even easier to create unique Sims, especially for players (like me) who tend to stay with the same traits and aspirations when making new Sims.

You can see the archived livestream, in the first post of this thread, if you missed it:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/962543/let-s-watch-maxis-monthly-july/p1
    mika wrote: »
    I would have preferred story progression. Pre-determined aspirations do nothing to enhance gameplay.

But they're not really pre-determined, they're related to the answers you give to the quiz, and you can dismiss any question you're not interested in and get a new one. For example, if you're not interested in anything to do with Selvadorada you could dismiss that question about the relic and might end up with a question about parenting or cooking instead, so you'd wind up with a different result. And you can probably change the aspiration once you're in game, just like with any other Sim. (If I'm really feeling ambitious, I'll start one of the Family aspirations then switch between them to earn them all for my mega-parents.)
  • WispyeWispye Posts: 140 Member
    i'm looking forward to it it will put different spin on your game
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    mika wrote: »

I disagree. I think that having a series of questions to determine some base skills, job and background is a welcome addition that will provide lots of gameplay opportunities. Now your starting sim hasn't just been in stasis for the last few decades, but enters the world with some experiences, abilities and career options befitting someone who has actually lived in their world prior to picking up their lives in-game.
  • MelmackMelmack Posts: 212 Member
    It seems neat, and useful if you want to throw a bit more randomization in. What concerns me is they mentioned this as a way to "add more depth" to a sim. If adding a feature that does what I could have accomplished with the trait randomizer and cheats/15 mins of gameplay is their idea of depth, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence for the future for me. 😑
    Melmack wrote: »
    It seems neat, and useful if you want to throw a bit more randomization in. What concerns me is they mentioned this as a way to "add more depth" to a sim. If adding a feature that does what I could have accomplished with the trait randomizer and cheats/15 mins of gameplay is their idea of depth, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence for the future for me. 😑

Some people don't like to use cheats, and in some challenges cheats aren't allowed. I could definitely see this as a good addition for legacy challenge players. I might try playing a short lifespan game, since I'll be able to get a headstart on skills so it doesn't feel so grindy. Maybe even a short lifespan/7-day season just for fun.
  • MelmackMelmack Posts: 212 Member

Some people don't like to use cheats, and in some challenges cheats aren't allowed. I could definitely see this as a good addition for legacy challenge players. I might try playing a short lifespan game, since I'll be able to get a headstart on skills so it doesn't feel so grindy. Maybe even a short lifespan/7-day season just for fun.

Oh, I definatly think it's a neat idea, and I'm not knocking it. I just hope this isn't their idea of "adding depth and personality."
    I think the "depth" is a matter of not specifically choosing your traits, but letting them be determined by character decisions. I know I have a tendency to say, "Okay, this Sim is going to be my cook, so lets pick traits that will make him the best for that", kind of meta-gaming based on how I know Traits and Skills interact.

If I am just saying, "okay, his idea of a great vacation is a camping trip in the wilderness, and if he finds a lost wallet he'd try to return it rather than keeping the money, and he'd rather do such-and-such than thus-and-so" and just being honest with who I think he is, and playing from what that generates, that removes a lot of the temptation to streamline for efficiency and leaves my Sim room to be himself.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited July 2019
    My favorite part of it is it adds some starter skills and different starter fund possibilities depending on what you choose.
    I think it will be useful overall though for people that just want a different approach. I'm betting some challenges will work it in also. Like you only answer with the top or bottom response. Another way to randomize for people that like that.
    It's a fun addition.
    (I'm one of those that doesn't like to cheat unless I have no other option)
    egTcBMc.png
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    i dont like how its only for new sims and it sims like you have to take a quiz to get to it. i'd rather just add in the stories into premades and do it myself than take a quiz.