Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Uuuh, so...really?

Comments

• Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    The new design, especially the pack icons, are so oversaturated! And random colors everywhere. I don‘t like it.
    Why is the logo dark blue it looks so out of place
    iDgp3vI.jpg

LMAO the original plumbbob is different than the one of the right.
  • Options
    MelmackMelmack Posts: 212 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    Honestly I couldn't care less about what the loading screen or the art work looks like - I just want better and deeper gameplay.

Bingo.
    I cant wrap my head around;
    1. The gurus excitement over the new theme.
    2. Peoples "up in arms" reaction.
    When this has very little to do to with the actual game.. I get where people sew it as pointless. But why do you care what the start up screen looks like? Apart from the eye strain thing I guess .But even then, its not like I'm steady staring at my loading screen when it's up.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Why did they make the whole logo dark blue? It looks so out of place
    iDgp3vI.jpg

I didn't notice that. It looks so cheap. That color needs to go right back to 2003 where it belongs! :D:D
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Not to sould like I'm living under a rock, but what is all this uproar about?
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Melmack wrote: »
    Honestly I couldn't care less about what the loading screen or the art work looks like - I just want better and deeper gameplay.

Bingo.
    When this has very little to do to with the actual game.. I get where people sew it as pointless. But why do you care what the start up screen looks like? Apart from the eye strain thing I guess .But even then, its not like I'm steady staring at my loading screen when it's up.
    They do have to look at the game a lot more than any of us do -- after all, it's their job. After 5 years it's nice to have something different.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member

D_UNrt_X4AACjq2?format=jpg&name=large

I feel like simply going darker would have been a better choice. ^mine

D_UBEdDUEAI-g4e?format=jpg&name=large
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    iDgp3vI.jpg

Looks very similar to an earlier version of TS4's box art.

tumblr_mz0ga1fQB21sh6xelo4_250.jpg

I'm also surprised they made stuff packs stand out so much with green. I would've thought it would make sense to make expansions green and give stuff packs the tealish color. The whole palette is just bad on the eyes though, IMHO.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    Techbilt wrote: »
    Except the colors they choose for rebranding can hurt people. Even looking at pictures of the loading screen gives me a migraine, and judging from twitter its triggering a lot of migraines for other people as well. I dont even want to open my game anymore if its going to give me. A migraine just from looking at the picture for a few moments versus every time I load a lot. Im not against them doing a rebranding I just think they should have been smarter with their color palette choices.
    lol yeah like the leafy brindleton bay grass was "hurting" people. True story :D People take their complaints to some ridiculous levels. "Ow, my left big toe hurts cause there's knobs on doors in the game!"

I have ASD and particular bright colours like this can cause sensory overloads. Headaches, migraines, fatigue, trouble with peripheral vision for some time afterward, and in extreme cases vomiting. Just looking at the screenshots makes me feel like I've got an ache coming on.

Maybe they can add a section in Options where you can switch to the new blue loading screen or keep the white one. At first glance, the blue is going to be much better for my eyes (I have to close my eyes during the current loading screen in order to actually see the game when it does load), but I understand that different colors might affect people differently.

Teanmoon says she's going to be updating loading screens (she makes the Darker one I use because the white is too much for me). I'm sure she'd be open to various requests, including white, for people who need an alternative. She's on Tumblr at https://teanmoon.tumblr.com/
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,961 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »
    and you do realize that people working on rebranding don't work on game features which you are looking for and its useless to blame this small change for anything missing?

I personally think it is because they wanted some separation for ts4 and ts4 legacy edition titles to avoid confusion with
    "does this pack work 32bit or nah"

and in general since ts4 is continuing they be running out of pack colors really soon if they didn't choose some

for me the new color scheme works better anyway because that white always hurted my eyes being way too bright and it felt kinda dead and not sims like so im glad they changed that

Yeah, but they still have to spend the game's budget to go out of their way to do this.

Yeah but you do realize that its actually rather cheap for them to recolor and make cover art and plumbob
    and it probably mostly went out of marketing funds that have nothing to do with actual game making funds
    at least in proper business that is

only thing that I see sort of taking funds/time is the cas quiz but I can't believe it really took them that much more either
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    iDgp3vI.jpg

Looks very similar to an earlier version of TS4's box art.

tumblr_mz0ga1fQB21sh6xelo4_250.jpg

I'm also surprised they made stuff packs stand out so much with green. I would've thought it would make sense to make expansions green and give stuff packs the tealish color. The whole palette is just bad on the eyes though, IMHO.

Even that looks better than the mono-colored logo we got with the redesign
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I have ASD and particular bright colours like this can cause sensory overloads. Headaches, migraines, fatigue, trouble with peripheral vision for some time afterward, and in extreme cases vomiting. Just looking at the screenshots makes me feel like I've got an ache coming on.

If that is the case, surely you have investigated either eyeware that filters colors to non-harmful levels, or monitor settings that reduce saturation and brightness? I know I adjust my audio and video settings to meet my personal needs. My hearing and eyesight = my responsibility.

No cause to paint this rebranding as some kind of sensory crime. It's packaging, that's all. Companies change that all the time to keep a product current. They would face exposure to charges of negligence from their shareholders if they didn't keep up to date.
  • Options
    They do have to look at the game a lot more than any of us do -- after all, it's their job. After 5 years it's nice to have something different.

True enough. I mean it's also their job to sound excited about everything they have to tell us. (whether they care or not)
    Still dont get why players are so straight up angry about it though.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    iDgp3vI.jpg

The fact that that blue only shows up in there is off putting me. The new cover logo is white, the new EP cover logo is white so why is it dark blue there? This is such a mess. Also why is the "4" the same color as the "sims"?

Sims_4_logo.svg

This looks far better still.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    I think it's insulting, honestly. To our intelligence, to so boldly ignore that the game has serious issues that should be addressed. They should feel embarrassed to promote it heavily, let alone with a rebrand that's divisive and cheaper-looking. :s
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited July 2019

Bingo.

Marketing is a different budget than development; they might get some help from development (for example, producing promotional materials where they might grab a developer to make trailers) but it's not like they could have added cars for the money they spent on the rebrand. They probably did surveys and focus groups to come up with the new look.

ETA: @Starfree explained it much better than I probably did. if anyone's really interested in EA budgets the information is likely available in the annual report (and if it's not available online you could probably email and request a copy); spent way too much time pouring over annual reports back in my accounting classes.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I think it's insulting, honestly. To our intelligence, to so boldly ignore that the game has serious issues that should be addressed. They should feel embarrassed to promote it heavily, let alone with a rebrand that's divisive and cheaper-looking. :s

It's a jpeg and a menu screen. Neither likely took up much time or resources and they don't really seem very different, and they probably just wanted to color code the packs by type. We're just going to be clicking past them anyway.
  • Options
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Of all the things wrong with the world, this is what upsets you?

Updating branding literally happens all the time. It is a standard business practice. EA/Maxis is - surprise! - a business.

What's the problem? It's not like Marketing - the division that handles branding - would otherwise be creating content. You do realize that it's different people who have that job, right?

Maxis should lay off most of the marketers and hire people to fix the game, when (IF) it deserves promotion, refocus again.

It's embarrassing to roll this out for this shell of a product. They have NO shame.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,448 Member
    edited July 2019

Bingo.

@Aine & @Melmack : I don't really care either. My peeve is people blaming the game developers when they had mostly nothing to do with it (the loading/main screen, maybe; box artwork & such no). I do think they should have taken in to consideration that some people might have conditions (ie: epilepsy, etc) that could be triggered by certain colors/lights/etc & have something in place for those folks to opt out of the change.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Of all the things wrong with the world, this is what upsets you?

Updating branding literally happens all the time. It is a standard business practice. EA/Maxis is - surprise! - a business.

What's the problem? It's not like Marketing - the division that handles branding - would otherwise be creating content. You do realize that it's different people who have that job, right?

Maxis should lay off most of the marketers and hire people to fix the game, when (IF) it deserves promotion, refocus again.

That’s not how multi-billion dollar companies operate.
  • Options
    Starfree wrote: »
    as @Sindocat said, it's the Marketing team that handles things like re-branding & such, not the Gurus and the game development teams. Marketing is a totally separate area with their own budget, people & resources to do this kind of thing; so they're NOT taking any time, money or resources away from game development.

Game development needs a MUCH bigger budget. Budget allocation absolutely CAN hurt the game.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    The new design, especially the pack icons, are so oversaturated! And random colors everywhere. I don‘t like it.
    Why is the logo dark blue it looks so out of place
    iDgp3vI.jpg

LMAO the original plumbbob is different than the one of the right.

It's so ridiculously jarring ahahaha
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Starfree wrote: »

@Aine & @Melmack : I don't really care either. My peeve is people blaming the game developers when they had mostly nothing to do with it (the loading/main screen, maybe; box artwork & such no). I do think they should have taken in to consideration that some people might have conditions (ie: epilepsy, etc) that could be triggered by certain colors/lights/etc & have something in place for those folks to opt out of the change.

Now, I have super limited knowledge(ie none really) on the subject, (and not trying to sound snooty or anything) but aren't those triggers par for the course with video games?(or anything with a screen really)
  • Options
    IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    Yeah, I really don't like any of these new things. The menu is really ugly and the loading screen even worse. I like blue, but that is just too much blue in my face. I wonder why blue is the main color now all of a sudden. The green/white color scheme worked so much better.

I don't understand the need of changing the menu/loading screen since they did just that a few years ago.