Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How well would this laptop run Sims 3?

I've recently been searching for a new laptop that could cope with TS3 as well as other everyday computing tasks, and I was wondering if the specifications for this one would allow me to play the game on fairly decent settings:

LENOVO Z50-70 15.6"
- Intel® Core™ i5-4210U Processor (1.7 GHz, 2.7 GHz with TurboBoost, 3 MB cache)
- 8 GB DDR3L RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GT820M graphics
- 1 TB SSHD storage

(pcworld(.)co(.)uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/lenovo-z50-70-15-6-laptop-white-10022700-pdt.html#cat-0)

I also have several expansion packs (Late Night, Seasons, Ambitions, Generations and University Life) - might I need a more powerful machine for these EPs?

Comments

• Options
    CodySimsteinCodySimstein Posts: 1,466 Member
    Hello,

With all of those expansion packs, the laptop should be able to handle medium settings very smoothly, and probably even medium-high settings. It could handle the highest settings, but I don't know how smooth it would be.

I hope this helps and keep simming,

Cody
    Member of the Tech Responders team.

Ask me about custom-built PCs!

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC
  • Options
    ellieintechnicolorellieintechnicolor Posts: 4 New Member
    [quote="CodySimstein;13117885"]Hello,

With all of those expansion packs, the laptop should be able to handle medium settings very smoothly, and probably even medium-high settings. It could handle the highest settings, but I don't know how smooth it would be.

I hope this helps and keep simming,

Cody[/quote]

That's great! Thank you :)
  • Options
    Tara2018Tara2018 Posts: 14 New Member
    Hello, what level of graphics will this laptop be able to run this sims 3 in? Screen Size 15.6 inches
    Max Screen Resolution 1600 x 900
    Processor 2.5 GHz Pentium
    RAM 8 GB
    Hard Drive 256 GB SSD
    Graphics Coprocessor integrated_graphics
    Chipset Brand intel
    Card Description Integrated
    Wireless Type 802.11b/g, 802.11bgn, 802.11b
    -Other Technical Details-
    Brand Name Acer
    Series 5789
    Hardware Platform PC
    Operating System Windows 10
    Item Weight 6.3 pounds
    Product Dimensions 16.3 x 10.7 x 1.2 inches
    Item Dimensions L x W x H 16.3 x 10.7 x 1.2 inches
    Color 17.3" , Intel N4200
    Processor Brand Intel
    Processor Count 1
    Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
    Flash Memory Size 256 GB
    Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA
    Hard Drive Rotational Speed 5400.00
    Batteries 1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @Tara2018 - It should run the game on medium to low graphics settings but the heaviest of the EPs (Pets, Seasons, IP, and ITF) may be too much for it to handle and it may struggle with some of the others as it has no dedicated graphics card. Is this what you already have or are you looking to purchase? Laptops that can be expected to run the entire game (all EPs) on higher graphics settings would be a couple of classes than this one.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    [quote="igazor;c-17150624"]@Tara2018 - It should run the game on medium to low graphics settings but the heaviest of the EPs (Pets, Seasons, IP, and ITF) may be too much for it to handle and it may struggle with some of the others as it has no dedicated graphics card. Is this what you already have or are you looking to purchase? Laptops that can be expected to run the entire game (all EPs) on higher graphics settings would be a couple of classes than this one.[/quote] I’ve not made the purchase yet. I also saw this one but I’m pretty sure the first one’s specs are better Screen Size 15.6 inches
    Processor 2.5 GHz AMD A Series
    RAM 8 GB SDRAM DDR4
    Hard Drive 1 TB HDD 5400 rpm
    Graphics Coprocessor AMD Radeon R7
    Chipset Brand amd
    Card Description Dedicated
    Wireless Type 802.11ac
    Other Technical Details
    Brand Name Dell
    Series Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series i5565-A000GRY-PUS
    Item model number T8TJG
    Hardware Platform PC
    Operating System Windows 10
    Item Weight 11.5 ounces
    Product Dimensions 15.3 x 10.2 x 0.9 inches
    Item Dimensions L x W x H 15.35 x 10.2 x 0.92 inches
    Processor Brand AMD
    Processor Count 4
    Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
    Flash Memory Size 1 TB
    Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA
    Hard Drive Rotational Speed 5400 RPM
    Power Source AC & Battery
    Batteries 1 Lithium Polymer batteries required. (included) I know that desktops are better for the games, but I have no room for a desk or anything.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    @Tara2018 - They each have some elements that outclass the other. I would say it's almost a tossup.
    Edit: No, I take that back. The Dell Inspiron is slightly better, but we're still not in range of laptops meant for graphics intensive sims games.

What is your budget, realistically, and what country are you from/shopping in?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    [quote="igazor;c-17150756"]@Tara2018 - They each have some elements that outclass the other. I would say it's almost a tossup.
    [b][i]Edit:[/i][/b] No, I take that back. The Dell Inspiron is slightly better, but we're still not in range of laptops meant for graphics intensive sims games.

What is your budget, realistically, and what country are you from/shopping in?[/quote] I am shopping from the United States. Preferably between 400-500 dollars. I will be able to get a good desktop in around a year, so I mainly just need one to hold me over without lagging terribly/crashing every 3 seconds.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Laptops are more expensive than desktops of the same class generally (making powerful things smaller costs more). A new laptop that will run all EPs at medium to high graphics settings will tend to start at around $900 USD and go up from there, though maybe down in the 800s when some good sales are running. We can cut corners, but then we would be talking about fewer (or no) EPs and less on the graphics quality. I'm afraid that the $400s isn't realistic for TS3, the game is more demanding than that. Laptops in that range should be able to play TS2 well though, if you have access to and affection for that game as it's older and much less demanding.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    [quote="igazor;c-17150777"]Laptops are more expensive than desktops of the same class generally (making powerful things smaller costs more). A new laptop that will run all EPs at medium to high graphics settings will tend to start at around $900 USD and go up from there, though maybe down in the 800s when some good sales are running. We can cut corners, but then we would be talking about fewer (or no) EPs and less on the graphics quality. I'm afraid that the $400s isn't realistic for TS3, the game is more demanding than that. Laptops in that range should be able to play TS2 well though, if you have access to and affection for that game as it's older and much less demanding.[/quote] Ah, okay lol I suppose I just got lucky with my last one😂 I bought it from Walmart for around $400 and ran sims 3&4. It sadly broke recently and I was just trying to find a laptop to run until I can get a better job. Thanks anyways 🙂
  • Options
    @Tara2018 - I'm sorry, I feel bad now but you're right, experiences on lower end hardware will vary. This one is as tight as I can find to cut things on Amazon, currently at $650. Personally I wouldn't buy an HP in this range for playing games as they aren't know for spiffy cooling systems and longevity, but it should run all of TS3. It's still out of your price range, but I can't really find anything more affordable that hits the right specs.
    https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-i5-8300H-Processor-15-cx0030nr/dp/B07QXVG1YK/ref=sr_1_6?fst=as:off&qid=1562565951&refinements=p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:2289793011|2289794011,p_n_feature_five_browse-bin:7817224011,p_n_feature_seven_browse-bin:18107821011&rnid=3012494011&s=pc&sr=1-6

For a bit more, so we're into the $700s now, other more reliable brands have similar models.
    https://www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-8300H-GeForce-Backlit-Keyboard/dp/B07TJFTRJ2/ref=sr_1_2?fst=as:off&qid=1562566468&refinements=p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:2289793011|2289794011,p_n_feature_five_browse-bin:7817224011,p_n_feature_seven_browse-bin:18107821011,p_n_feature_two_browse-bin:562240011|562241011&rnid=562234011&s=pc&sr=1-2
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited July 2019
    @Tara2018 If you can spend $576, this is Acer is a good option. It could certainly run all TS3 packs on high settings, although perhaps not ultra if you have Pets and Seasons in the picture. This model doesn't have the best cooling, but elevating the laptop while you play (put books under the corners or something) would be enough.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-1tb-hard-drive-shale-black/6212601.p?skuId=6212601

If and when you decide to buy that desktop in a year or so, feel free to come back here and discuss specs. Desktops that can run all of TS3 on ultra settings currently start below $600, although prices can change a lot in a year. Still, you could certainly expect to find something that meets your expectations for not much more than that.
  • Options
    Oh good, I was hoping someone who was better at shopping than I was would show up. Yes, that $576 one is a slightly different version of the $745 model I found on Amazon and, while neither one is totally perfect, it's a good deal for an interim solution.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    [quote="puzzlezaddict;c-17150799"]@Tara2018 If you can spend $576, this is Acer is a good option. It could certainly run all TS3 packs on high settings, although perhaps not ultra if you have Pets and Seasons in the picture. This model doesn't have the best cooling, but elevating the laptop while you play (put books under the corners or something) would be enough.
    If and when you decide to buy that desktop in a year or so, feel free to come back here and discuss specs. Desktops that can run all of TS3 on ultra settings currently start below $600, although prices can change a lot in a year. Still, you could certainly expect to find something that meets your expectations for not much more than that.[/quote]
    Thank you so much!
  • Options
    [quote="igazor;c-17150789"]@Tara2018 - I'm sorry, I feel bad now but you're right, experiences on lower end hardware will vary. This one is as tight as I can find to cut things on Amazon, currently at $650. Personally I wouldn't buy an HP in this range for playing games as they aren't know for spiffy cooling systems and longevity, but it should run all of TS3. It's still out of your price range, but I can't really find anything more affordable that hits the right specs.

For a bit more, so we're into the $700s now, other more reliable brands have similar models.

[quote="igazor;c-17150789"]@Tara2018 - I'm sorry, I feel bad now but you're right, experiences on lower end hardware will vary. This one is as tight as I can find to cut things on Amazon, currently at $650. Personally I wouldn't buy an HP in this range for playing games as they aren't know for spiffy cooling systems and longevity, but it should run all of TS3. It's still out of your price range, but I can't really find anything more affordable that hits the right specs.

[/quote]
    Thank you for all of the help 🙂
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey friends, awesome you're helping this person out picking a laptop. Considering this has been inactive for quite some time I'm going to close it off. If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top