Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seeing Spouses of Sims without Using Ask if Single?

When my Sim meets someone new and I check their informations (career, traits etc.), if they are married, I can see who their spouse is without using Ask if Single interaction. I mean I don't think this is how it supposed to work, right? If so, it makes Ask if Single interaction useless.

I tested it without mods, my game is up to date. My Sim met married Sims only. I don't know if same thing goes for engaged Sims.
giphy.gif
Crystal Cover from Tumblr

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,285 Member
    I'm sorry, I'm lost. How are you able to detect if they're single without asking?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • WainwrongWainwrong Posts: 89 Member
    I'm sorry, I'm lost. How are you able to detect if they're single without asking?

She's saying the opposite thing. She can't be able to detect single sims without asking for who the spouse is
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I just went to look in my game because I didn't know it was a thing. I was playing a newish save and had one married sim travel to another married sims house and do an introduction and sure enough it automatically shows they have a spouse and who it is without asking. Neat.
    Maybe it was added in later? Heck it could have been there all along for all I know.

Anyway if you are asking why they should have it like that it's another tool.
    I have my sim ask for immersive gameplay purposes usually even if I know the (usually premade) sim is married.

The info might also be there for those simmers that want no romantic interactions with married folks... some feel very strongly about that. Or I do remember threads where simmers where saying all the sims their sim meets is married. So they can know by looking if the sim is available to be approached. Just another tool for those who want to use it.
    Good deal.

egTcBMc.png
  • EcaEca Posts: 155 Member
    I don't see any Sim in their information panel as their spouse, which shows that they are single. And if my Sim asks if they are single, they'll say they're single. If I see a Sim as their spouse, which shows that they are married, they'll say they married to that Sim when asked. Again, I haven't tested with engaged Sims.
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Maybe it was added in later? Heck it could have been there all along for all I know.
    I also don't know if it was added later. Because in TS3 we can't see Sims' partners without asking. That was what I expected from TS4.
    The info might also be there for those simmers that want no romantic interactions with married folks... some feel very strongly about that. Or I do remember threads where simmers where saying all the sims their sim meets is married. So they can know by looking if the sim is available to be approached. Just another tool for those who want to use it.
    Good deal.
    Since Ask if Single interaction does not affect romantic relationship, I don't think game treats it as a Romantic interaction, it is under the Romantic section however.

@Wainwrong I'm male thx
    @Hermitgirl Also pardon me for my English but I don't get what do you mean with 'tool' and 'immersive gameplay purpose'.
    giphy.gif
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    edited July 2019
    The spouses are the only thing that shows up. Otherwise, you get varying responses to "are you single?" if they aren't. It doesn't always tell you who they are taken by though, so you may have to do some detective work.

ETA: Oh yeah, and they lie too.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    No other way to know except ask if single, sorry
    oh there is also mccc.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    Yeah, the spouses are shown in info right away which I agree is weird.
    I'm pretty sure my Sims don't see "become a couple" option under romantic interactions unless they asked if the Sim was single.
    I assumed that's what the "ask if single" was for.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    For immersive gameplay I mean it's a question you ask if you are playing out a role with your sim. You the player might already know the answer but that makes no difference. It's a standard question. When I have a sim ask another about their interests or ask how their day was it doesn't need to serve a purpose other than being something people say to each other. Even if something is linked to a skill... when that skill is maxed I still use those interactions. They don't become useless to me because they are still things people say to each other.
    egTcBMc.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Are you sure Ask if Single is a friendly question? It falls under the romantic section. MCCC has a setting where it changes it so “Ask if Single” is a friendly question and not romantic thus not starting any potential romances.

I always assumed it was to build romantic relationships and whenever I’ve used it, it’s always been taken romantically then friendly.
    edited July 2019
    Morkovka wrote: »
    Yeah, the spouses are shown in info right away which I agree is weird.
    I'm pretty sure my Sims don't see "become a couple" option under romantic interactions unless they asked if the Sim was single.
    I assumed that's what the "ask if single" was for.
    I've just tested it with Katrina Caliente and Don Lothario, and I managed to make them couple without using the Ask if Single interaction.
    For immersive gameplay I mean it's a question you ask if you are playing out a role with your sim. You the player might already know the answer but that makes no difference. It's a standard question. When I have a sim ask another about their interests or ask how their day was it doesn't need to serve a purpose other than being something people say to each other. Even if something is linked to a skill... when that skill is maxed I still use those interactions. They don't become useless to me because they are still things people say to each other.
    Well, actually I also don't find those useful because we can use them repeatedly. However, Sims' day may vary everyday, which makes it okay to use Ask about Day interaction, but not frequently.
    I still find Ask if Single useless because it doesn't make sense to ask if they have a partner, when you already know that.
    Are you sure Ask if Single is a friendly question? It falls under the romantic section. MCCC has a setting where it changes it so “Ask if Single” is a friendly question and not romantic thus not starting any potential romances.

I always assumed it was to build romantic relationships and whenever I’ve used it, it’s always been taken romantically then friendly.
    Without mods, it's under the Romantic section, but as far as I know it doesn't affect romantic relationship. It never started a romantic relationship between my Sims in both TS3 and TS4 ever.
    Speaking of that test I mentioned above, Katrina and Don managed to marry without using the Ask if Single interaction. After the marriage Dina and Nina were unable to see their mom's spouse or ask if she's single even while I was using a mod to move that interaction to the Friendly section. They were able to ask Don, which Don answered successfully in a notification, but in his information panel his spouse Katrina didn't appear, until they interacted with Don.
    giphy.gif
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    I Think it is fairly new in the panel. When the ask if single interaction was first there, i don’t believe it showed up in the panel, at least not before asking.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    It will also tell you if they're seeing someone like a BF or GF
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    When I would start chatting with another, I can scroll to the top where it shows who she is talking to, and it shows that they have a spouse. It has been like that for a while for me. Even if I know and see that they have a spouse, it will still let me ask if they are single. So not sure why you can't ask them.
    edited July 2019
    So in conclusion, do you guys think it's something willingly set or a bug?
    giphy.gif
    After testing it with an engaged Sim, I realized that the interaction is not useless at all. Her fiancé did not show up in her infromation panel as her spouse. And I thought my Sim could get a notification saying "[MySim] has learnt that [Sim1] is engaged to [Sim2]."
    She answered my Sim's question in a notification, she said "I'm seeing someone."
    Same probably goes for Sims who have a boyfriend or girlfriend but I didn't test it.

OK I guess I'm done now, thanks everyone.
    giphy.gif
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I have this for a very long time now. It is not something new. I think years..
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! In the "traits" panel of the other Sims you meet - it will say "spouse" at the bottom! It does kinda make the "Ask if single" useless.

I was able to get Eliza Pancakes - please don't ask - to fall head over heels in love with my Sim, despite being married to Bob!

I did a couple of others - sorry, I'm not home near my computer at the moment. However, if you wondering I didn't try Bella Goth - dunno why.

I was trying with male and female Sims targeting same and opposite gender Sims - though it appeared to make no difference.

The "ask if single" is totally useless and my guess would be is that if the player was (too lazy - I guess) to look at the traits panel.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    I knew a sim was married because it shows in their info panel but your sim doesn't. Once one of my sims was dating Bjorn. His wife Clara came to the bar and kissed his cheek. My sim went into a rage and slapped his face because he was married.She didn't have the jealous trait. I forgot to make her ask the question because I knew the answer. They don't react to spouses this way if you ask the question first.