Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking Forward To the End Of TS4

Comments

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,191 Member
    edited July 2019
    With TS5 (assuming it is happening), they should go back to the TS1 days of releasing a Base Game and then following it up with Expansion Packs. No Game Packs, no Stuff Packs. Just Expansion Packs. Hopefully, that means we'll get more content, more gameplay. EPs would release every 6 or 7 months. This would give the team time to create a fleshed out Expansion Pack, but also time to fix any present bugs. Yes, that means we'll have to wait longer for content, but quality over quantity.

Also, no more EA Game Changers. Our opinion matters most and I think we can agree that we'd rather be able to explore the pack for ourselves without not knowing anything.

That s a bad idea. Game packs are actually good. There some features that cannot be flesh out in expansion. But minor that won't be good in expansion. Vampires, Strangerville, Outdoor retreat are a few. I said get rid of stuff packs. Have two game packs, and two expansions year.Also whats wrong with Gamechangers? They just play the game and make videos. There opinions hardly matter to them.
  • Options
    deeman190deeman190 Posts: 99 Member
    We'll see if they listen to you.
    With TS5 (assuming it is happening), they should go back to the TS1 days of releasing a Base Game and then following it up with Expansion Packs. No Game Packs, no Stuff Packs. Just Expansion Packs. Hopefully, that means we'll get more content, more gameplay. EPs would release every 6 or 7 months. This would give the team time to create a fleshed out Expansion Pack, but also time to fix any present bugs. Yes, that means we'll have to wait longer for content, but quality over quantity.

Also, no more EA Game Changers. Our opinion matters most and I think we can agree that we'd rather be able to explore the pack for ourselves without not knowing anything.

• Options
    wamayeliwamayeli Posts: 147 Member
    The silliness and wackiness of the Sims is lost in TS4. It is too predictable.

I TOTALLY agree with this.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

I really hope they go back to the 2 expansion packs per year model; a consistent schedule of releases. Game packs and stuff packs for TS4 have made DLC for The Sims too messy. The Store was even worse though.
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I think features in a game pack can be fleshed out in an expansion pack. It's just a matter of using resources to do it instead of using those resources to make it separately. I never really understood what the point of game packs were beyond making more money by separating content.

I'm okay with stuff packs, though they could do them better. I think those can be used to provide more focused build, buy, and CAS items that they aren't going to expand upon. Like the 70s, 80s, 90s stuff pack in TS3. As an expansion I think it'd fall flat since it's too close to current times to make an expansion pack with a world. Changes from the 70's, 80s, and 90s that could've gone in a world or 3 would've been more subtle changes that I don't think players would've found worth it. But as a stuff pack it had potential, though I think it could've been way better. Ideas for clothing and items that are themed like that, that don't really need a world or even much gameplay I think are a good fit for stuff packs.

I could see an argument for game packs as well but so far, almost all game packs have been things that could've been in one of the expansion packs. I think that's why I don't see much of a point in GPs. I can only think of 2 that wouldn't fit in an EP. There are stuff packs that I think should've been in expansion packs too and not just in TS4 either. But with most of the GPs it's like they took a piece of the heart out of EPs then said, 'see how much better this is when we have the time to work focus on it?' Why couldn't that focus have been applied anyway?

I think there are better ways they could do packs in general but adding game packs was not one of those ways to me. It's like subtle way of piecemealing content but the content is usually so nice you don't see the finessing taking place until it's several years later and you realize you could've paid less for a fleshed out EP they actually took their time on instead of buying several different packs for more money to equate to what used to be 1 expansion pack.

Do the expansions right the first time and there wouldn't be a need for game packs to begin with. And there'd be less of a need for stuff packs as well.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited July 2019
    What I am hoping that they will do during the development for the sims5:
    • Get talented people who can work with the game engine, and let them stay there, if you are going for Frostbite, like you did with Anthem, then let the developers stay there, don't send them away to do other projects. UI is critical when it comes to the sims so it needs to be worked on a lot.
    • If you are going for open-world, get people who have experience building it, find out how other open-world games can build such massive worlds and not encounter any lag at all.
    • Get some of the folks who have worked on the older sims games back, hear them out on how they worked with the sims and what their vision for a next sims game should be.
    • Set goals that the next generations of the sims should be better and more advanced than the previous games, we are not just looking for a graphics update, but also an update in how sims are working. Get some talented people who can work on how sims should behave.
    • Set limits from the beginning that you will not change during development. One of the reasons why Anthem failed was because they could not decide or set limits, they added and removed flying for example several times.
    • Look at what the community want, not just sales data. Talk with the game changers during development, post on forums and blogs about the development, what you are aiming for and what the community want, you don't have to be secret about it. And talk to mod makers as well.
    • Assign a bug-fixing team (yes, from the beginning) that will work only with bug-fixing. They are all active on answer hq and have access to early test builds where they can test bugs.
    • Give people access to the alpha and beta, and I mean, alpha and beta. Not a finished product a couple of months before release. Let them play it and give feedback. Make sure you get constructive criticism and feedback, not just people who asks for more stuff.

• Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    Sucom wrote: »
    I agree, Sims 4 does appear to be aimed at a young girly audience, which is strange because they knew when they made the game that they have many different kinds and ages of people playing previous sims games. Sims 4 is much too young and happy for me to enjoy it as a valid life simulation game. Maybe a life simulation for very young people but not for many of the people who played Sims 2 and 3. I have seen many older players, just like me! It just doesn't match up at all. It doesn't compare. In fact it should have been advertised as a completely new game specifically aimed at females between 10 and 15. It should definitely not have been advertised as a follow on from Sims 2 and 3. It's nothing like the same. They know it, the players know it. What I honestly can't understand is why they think their players would have been happy with it. And I honestly can't understand why they are sticking with Sims 4 for such a long time! :(:(:( What a major disappointment from what should have been a brilliant game.

sorry but i have to disagree with you thje sims4 is perfect and way better than sims2 everyone musty also realise that games changes over the years and what would you do if sims5 is like the sims4 but rated E for everyone? me i plan on moving on to the sims5 depending on the following 1 the price 2 if it remains an offline game and last but not least is like like the sims4 in term of gameplay but will the content from past sims game but with option to customise the game to each player 's play style.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    altg1229altg1229 Posts: 89 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    That’s insulting towards TS2. :lol:

Seriously though, the Sims in TS2 were programmed so incredibly well, even compared to TS3 and TS4, released years and years later. They’re responsive, the queue moves along like butter, intelligent, and they possess a ton of charm.

I just wanted to comment to agree with this. For me, it comes down to the personality of sims in each game and TS2 sims blow the sims in every other version out of the water. They're always interesting to watch, charming, funny, "smart", different. I can't say enough good things about the actual SIMS in TS2. I liked the sims in TS3 a lot too, I've just unfortunately never had a good enough system to run that game without tons of lag and a fear that my laptop will explode because it gets so hot lol.

But the sims of TS4 are a gigantic disappointment. There's a couple good things about TS4, namely CAS and build mode. Also it runs on my 6 year old macbook pretty well.

However, none of that stuff matters. Once I get past CAS and get into the actual gameplay, I'm bored instantly. Even my beloved Seasons couldn't save it (and FWIW, I thought that pack was incredibly well done) because the sims in the game are lifeless. The traits do almost nothing to differentiate between sims. Give a sim the "creative" trait and besides getting the creative moodlet more often, there's nothing that makes them unique from any other sim in the world. The whims have no impact on gameplay either because there's no consequences for not doing them. There's no incentive to do or not do something for any sim because there's no reaction that lasts longer than a few days. I miss wants/fears/memories SO MUCH because without them, the game is basically empty.

I've given up on this game. Unless/until they can fix the fundamental issues with the sims themselves (which I don't see happening), TS4 lacks all the magic that made playing the last two iterations of this game enjoyable for me. And it's really disappointing because the sims is the only video game I've ever really been interested in playing. I just hope they take all this player feedback and focus on making THE SIMS themselves (ya know, the core component of a SIMS game) interesting again for TS5... because I'd hate to have to give up on the sims forever.
  • Options
    I haven't played Sims 4 in a while... did they actually remove whims???
  • Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    altg1229 wrote: »

They didn't "remove" them but you do have to turn them back on in options if you want to use them.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2019
    Techbilt wrote: »

They didn't "remove" them but you do have to turn them back on in options if you want to use them.

I am so glad they gave me the option to disable them as I do not use them. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I agree, Sims 4 does appear to be aimed at a young girly audience, which is strange because they knew when they made the game that they have many different kinds and ages of people playing previous sims games. Sims 4 is much too young and happy for me to enjoy it as a valid life simulation game. Maybe a life simulation for very young people but not for many of the people who played Sims 2 and 3. I have seen many older players, just like me! It just doesn't match up at all. It doesn't compare. In fact it should have been advertised as a completely new game specifically aimed at females between 10 and 15. It should definitely not have been advertised as a follow on from Sims 2 and 3. It's nothing like the same. They know it, the players know it. What I honestly can't understand is why they think their players would have been happy with it. And I honestly can't understand why they are sticking with Sims 4 for such a long time! :(:(:( What a major disappointment from what should have been a brilliant game.

I don't really think this is fair. Young girls can appreciate a realistic life simulation game, in fact, I think many of them would prefer it. After all, myself and a huge number of others in the community started playing Sims 2 and 3 as young girls. I started playing TS2 when I was eleven years old, in 5th grade. I don't know who TS4 is designed for, but I don't really like this attitude that it's a bad game because it's marketed to young/teen girls. It's a bad game because it's a shallow, poorly designed game lol.

Thank you. Things marketed toward teen girls get such a terrible reputation.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019

I don't really think this is fair. Young girls can appreciate a realistic life simulation game, in fact, I think many of them would prefer it. After all, myself and a huge number of others in the community started playing Sims 2 and 3 as young girls. I started playing TS2 when I was eleven years old, in 5th grade. I don't know who TS4 is designed for, but I don't really like this attitude that it's a bad game because it's marketed to young/teen girls. It's a bad game because it's a shallow, poorly designed game lol.
    Very true. I do think however Sims 4 is being designed with a certain image ‘young teenage girls’ apparently have in mind. But I completely agree with you that isn’t necessarily what teenage girls are about.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,191 Member

I think you misunderstand. No one saying girls can't like realistic things . But saying the game seems like its gear towards teen girls.Seems accurate. Because that's what they're mainly gearing it too , and that's what it designs it for.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I think you misunderstand. No one saying girls can't like realistic things . But saying the game seems like its gear towards teen girls.Seems accurate. Because that's what they're mainly gearing it too , and that's what it designs it for.

It is accurate, because that is exactly what the previous CM said, teenage girls on instagram was her exact words, with rich parents.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member

My post wasn't really about the younger female generation - I'm not getting at them at all so perhaps I did sound a little unfair with my words. They have their place in the world just like older people like me, lol. I was younger once :) I like that you say that young girls can appreciate a realistic life simulation game and that they may indeed prefer it. I should have said this game must be aimed at 7 to 10 years olds - I probably would have been closer to the truth!

I'm not really saying it's a bad game 'because' it's aimed at young girls. What I'm really saying is it's a bad game because it doesn't cater for all generations - generations they absolutely KNOW play the game. They left older people out completely, for some reason, because they made the game pretty childish (in my humble opinion). And you're right, teens aren't childish at all - I certainly wasn't, although if I'm honest I don't think I was ever childish - I've always been a little on the serious side :)

And I also agree with you, it is a very shallow, poorly designed game. We are definitely on the same team.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

According to a former CM, the game is aimed at teenage girls, the game is safe space. Her words not mine.
  • Options
    My post wasn't really about the younger female generation - I'm not getting at them at all so perhaps I did sound a little unfair with my words. They have their place in the world just like older people like me, lol. I was younger once :) I like that you say that young girls can appreciate a realistic life simulation game and that they may indeed prefer it. I should have said this game must be aimed at 7 to 10 years olds - I probably would have been closer to the truth!

I'm not really saying it's a bad game 'because' it's aimed at young girls. What I'm really saying is it's a bad game because it doesn't cater for all generations - generations they absolutely KNOW play the game. They left older people out completely, for some reason, because they made the game pretty childish (in my humble opinion). And you're right, teens aren't childish at all - I certainly wasn't, although if I'm honest I don't think I was ever childish - I've always been a little on the serious side :)

And I also agree with you, it is a very shallow, poorly designed game. We are definitely on the same team.

I think we're pretty much on the same page. It's like the marketing team just took the most stereotypical example of a teenage girl they could think of and tried to push the game towards them when, by and large, they don't exist.

I actually agree that at times it does seem geared toward a WAY younger crowd in general. Way younger than the past versions of the game at least. It is actually pretty crazy to go back to playing TS2 right after playing TS4 and comparing the elements of both of those games. Older games were kind of like Pixar movies in that they included things for every age, sneaking in jokes or darker themes that would appeal to an older generation while still having silliness and lighthearted fun that kids could enjoy.

One example I can think of off the top of my head is Bella Goth and Don Lothario. In the TS2 version when you start the game and it tells the story of Bella and Don, it's subtly implying there's a chance Don actually murdered her. Obviously you play and find out it's aliens, but that's the kind of wackiness and drama that used to make a Sims game. Imagine something like that in TS4? Do Bella and Don even have a relationship when you first start playing TS4? Instead we have the bizarre storyline where he lives with the Caliente sisters and their mother... whose supposedly dating him from the description... even though they actually have no relationship when you start the game, just like all the other supposed storylines that are written but don't exist.

In general, all the sims in TS4 just seem so disconnected from one another and I really think that is the core issue that all the other problems people have with the game stem from.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    According to a former CM, the game is aimed at teenage girls, the game is safe space. Her words not mine.

What's wrong with the game being a safe space? It's where I, as a young/teenage girl, could explore my imagination and sexuality in a safe way. A sandbox life simulator SHOULD be a safe space, safe and challenging aren't mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member

What's wrong with the game being a safe space? It's where I, as a young/teenage girl, could explore my imagination and sexuality in a safe way. A sandbox life simulator SHOULD be a safe space, safe and challenging aren't mutually exclusive.

Not trying to butt in but I think it all depends on how you interpret a 'safe space'. safe and challenging aren't mutually exclusive to maybe you and I but say we're developers? How are we to decide what a safe space is for someone who doesn't share our views. There are traumas for all sorts of things and no one person could possibly account for everything.

But I do wish they had added more challenges and difficulty in the game. to me at least, having those challenges in TS2 taught me far more about how to persevere through anxiety and adapting to bad/random situations that I couldn't plan for than I feel sims 4 will teach kids with problems similar to mine. But when I was younger I was looking for ways to actively become more comfortable with things that freaked me out.
  • Options
    AlexcielAlexciel Posts: 126 Member
    Its intersting that people consider Girl-Playing as "family friendly"

I wonder if they played dolls with their family and friend girls, because in the begining doll playing is a copy paste of the TV shows but... If you really have a confidence-relation with the other girls the game goes to a completely different place, it contains violence, sex abuse or whatever the girl has interiorized. It becomes Interactive Fanfiction in the best of cases.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top