Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How many sq ft does one grid square =?

I want to build houses on my game using non copyrighted house plans, and I was wondering, how many of the sq ft does one grid square in build mode equal?

Comments

• artist78artist78 Posts: 589 New Member
    edited August 2010
    When I do real homes to sim homes, I usually do 1 sq ft = .55 sim ft. But it gets tricky because not all the rooms end up exact, and so sometimes you just have to change up the homes a bit.

So a room that is 12 ft 2 inches I would round up to 7 sim ft. You just gotta play with it a bit.
  • wondersueakwondersueak Posts: 963 New Member
    edited August 2010
    Oh okay. I thought so. Thanks!
  • FordGT90ConceptFordGT90Concept Posts: 355 Member
    edited August 2010
    Every tile is about a yard by a yard or 9 square feet. It might be closer to 2.5 x 2.5 feet or 6.25 square feet.
  • winoscarwinoscar Posts: 14
    edited August 2011
    i was wondering the same thing, i figured at first that one grid square was about a yard, but then when i did the square footage of my houses it came out a little low.(i did the square footage by counting the tiles in each room and multiplying them length and with then multiplying the answer by three.) like some of my larger colonials were comeing out at about 2,100 sqft when really there more around 3,000. so i think there is more like fourfeet in each grid square
  • DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited August 2011
    Well since one kitchen counter fills one grid square, it's 24 inches front to back and 18 inches across. Now that makes converting plans a pain, but that would be it. Also works for bathtub measurements, so that is in fact what it is, not a square at all.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
    edited August 2011
    Well yes, the game isn't perfect some things are bigger or smaller than real life for example a fridge would really take up more space than a counter, but in the game it doesn't, so I estimate each square being about a yard, try doing the square footage of one of your houses by multiplying the dementions of each room then multiplying that number by three(for the yard)
  • LittleVLittleV Posts: 8,565 Member
    edited August 2011
    One wall tile in-game is equivalent to 3 feet.

Reasoning: The average single-hung door ranges between 28"-36", and a single door fits on a single wall tile. Also, the trade average of a cabinet box is 24" deep by 36" wide (of course there is any custom size in between, but 36" is the trade standard) and one cabinet box fits on one tile.
    edited August 2011
    So what your saying is that yes it is a yard?
  • LittleVLittleV Posts: 8,565 Member
    edited August 2011
    winoscar wrote:
    So what your saying is that yes it is a yard?
    Yes, one square on the grid is equivalent to 3'x 3' in a real-life situation.
  • DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited August 2011
    What we are saying is it varies, were it real life a fridge would be 1.25 squares deep by one wide, or 1.5 if it's a french door. Now most living chairs are bigger than counters, but not in the game, 3 living chairs don't fit where my sofa is, but they would in game. A double bed is NOT 9 feet wide and 12 feet long, but using a yard, in game it is. (and yes I know that makes sims around 11 feet 6 inches tall.)

I find it easier when working off house plans to simply build rooms according to the furnishing. Some rooms will be smaller and some bigger than any scale you try to use.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
    edited August 2011
    yes, but io try to figure out the square footage of the houses i build.
  • Sims3FREAK3Sims3FREAK3 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited March 2013
    I know this is a VERY late post, as I only happened to find it while I was looking for a plugin that I could add to the game to calculate the "Enclosed Sq.Ft." of a house I might create. Here is the calculation I use to recreate homes in the Sims 3 "Build Mode." One large tile equals 4sqft.

How did I get to that conclusion? If you look at a tile in "Build" or "Buy Mode" you will see there are 4 smaller tiles inside the larger one. Only furniture can be adjusted to use the smaller tiles meaning a single wall has to be built in 2ft increments. So, a 60x60 lot (in Sim Squares) is about 120x120 feet in real life. That is about 14400-sqft total or 1/3 of an acre.

Because you can only build a wall in 2ft increments you must either add or subtract from the plan you are copying if a room is not an even number in its' dimensions. Example: Your plan calls for a room that is 13x15 your options for the game will be to either make the room larger or smaller. In this case larger would be 14x16 (7x8 in Sim Squares) and smaller would be 12x14 (6x7 in Sim Squares). Now sometimes only one side needs adjusting such as in a 14x15 room, only the 15 needs to be adjusted.

I tested this formula with great successes on this plan: http://www.monsterhouseplans.com/traditional-style-house-plans-1270-square-foot-home-1-story-3-bedroom-and-2-bath-2-garage-stalls-by-monster-house-plans-plan11-174.html

It worked well and the layout was simple. Remember, you do not always get dimensions for such rooms as powder rooms, pantries or walk-in closets so work with what you know and the puzzle will fall into place. Also, this formula makes since in human terms as a lounging or sleeping Sim would be about 5.5FT' to 6FT' tall if standing.

Now here is an easy way to get the SQFT of a house you create in the future. 1: do not floor your home. 2: Make note of your current unfurnished value. 3: Find a flooring, $10 per tile will do for easy calculation. 4: Floor the entire house and any other areas you wish to include such as the garage or a lanai area. 5: Note the new unfurnished value. 6: Subtract it from the old unfurnished value. 7: Take the difference and dived it by the per tile cost of the floor. Example: If you have a $4,000 difference and the tile cost $10 per unit you have have used 400 tiles of floor space and at 4sqft per large tile you have a 1600sqft home.

Hope this helps! Blessings! :D
  • michaelottingermichaelottinger Posts: 2 New Member
    I respectfully disagree.

Everyone says 3 feet, but if you actually start building houses with that ratio, everything looks WAY off. Even though the math is annoying, I have had much, MUCH better results with 2.5 feet. Also, that's the width of interior doors in a house (though front doors are 3 feet).

If you use 2 feet, rooms turnout looking too large. If you use 3 feet, they're ridiculously small.

I may be alone on this, but I've had great results using 2.5.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey it's awesome you want to discuss this, unfortunately this thread has been inactive since 2013 so I'm going to go ahead and close it off. If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top