Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mediafire and Adfly---Safe or Not Safe?

QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
Is it safe to download stuff from mediafire and/or adfly? I've been avoiding it and only downloading things with simfileshare or googledrive because I wasn't sure. How safe or risky are these sites? (I never click on their ads.)
BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com

Comments

• Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Is it safe to download stuff from mediafire and/or adfly? I've been avoiding it and only downloading things with simfileshare or googledrive because I wasn't sure. How safe or risky are these sites? (I never click on their ads.)

Those can be behind adfly too :D
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member

As long as it links directly to Mediafire it should be okay having an Ad Blocker just in cause. But I wouldn't trust any AdFly links no matter what or where they link to.
    I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
  • Options
    Madachan88Madachan88 Posts: 360 Member
    Adfly isn't only not trustworthy it's outright dangerous because it will infect your pc with dangerous malware if not careful.

Look at this post and video from a cc creator about it and you will understand.

https://renorasims.tumblr.com/post/186002664728/the-risks-of-adfly-shorte-etc#notes
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,598 Member
    Mediafire is fine for the most part. Sometimes it does has annoying pop up ads. But sometimes not. The good thing is that my internet security program is really good and can block anything that is deem quite harmful.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Doesn’t adfly count as behind a paywall? Former guru Kate said something along those lines, but it’d be nice if the current staff could comment on it.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I feel better with mediafire than Adfly.
    I'd have to want it reaaaaly bad to bother with that.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited July 2019
    Kate (previously SimGuruKate) said this on Twitter
    "If you, as a CC consumer, really must have a piece of CC that someone has put behind an AdFly (or other ad shortner) link take EXTREME precautions to protect your computer. This post will help you find ad blockers that will help you to keep safe

She gives address of another Simmer for advice....
    https://mystericsims.tumblr.com/post/172150586809 …."

• Options
    kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    Mediafire is fine, it's the adfly site you go through that is bad. I don't download anything that uses adfly anyway after my anti virus thankfully blocked a virus from there.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    If you’re desperate enough, a combination of a good adblocker & scriptblocker can mitigate the AdFly risk enough that you’ll probably be safe.
  • Options
    ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    Doesn’t adfly count as behind a paywall? Former guru Kate said something along those lines, but it’d be nice if the current staff could comment on it.

No it doesn't as it's just some advert links you have to go pass to get to the free content.
    So_Money wrote: »
    If you’re desperate enough, a combination of a good adblocker & scriptblocker can mitigate the AdFly risk enough that you’ll probably be safe.
    Don't count on it AdFly can be as bad and in rare cases worse than 4Shared and Baidu and those 2 are already known as trojan, virus and worm hell.

I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    The whole internet is dangerous.
    Also, get a good free viruscan like AVG and Malware and you get enough warnings or blockages.
    Never download .exe files anyway ;)
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited July 2019
    Ad-fly is absolute garbage and cc creators that do it have such a disregard for the safety of the people who download their content. Even Simguru Kate mentioned how unsafe it was and refuses to evwr download anything from anyone who uses it.

There are extensions you can use to bypass adfly links but the bigger problems is the link shorteners people use which is the worse to make it where they can use it.

I've used mediafire for my CC before and ita been fine. But always protect yourself. Yeah I can understand people wanting compensation for their work, but not at the expense of others. Just no.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    There should be an easy way to report modders and CC creators who use these AdFly type of services to upload since it’s against the rules afterall.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    ScottDemon wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »
    Don't count on it AdFly can be as bad and in rare cases worse than 4Shared and Baidu and those 2 are already known as trojan, virus and worm hell.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not endorsing AdFly. I avoid it like the plague. I’m just saying that if you absolutely must have that hair (or whatever) hidden behind an AdFly link, there are ways to protect yourself (to a degree).
  • Options
    Madachan88Madachan88 Posts: 360 Member
    edited July 2019
    For anyone who want Adfree and safe Kiara Zurk hairs there's this tumbrl who is uploading their stuff adfree because the owner got a nasty Virus from her and her site and needed to reinstall their whole windows.

https://adfreereuploads.tumblr.com

Post edited by Madachan88 on
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,183 Member
    Mediafire isn't always bad. But I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to go to AdFly.
  • Options
    MeteoraStormMeteoraStorm Posts: 243 Member
    You can add an extension to your web browser - I use Universal Bypass- which takes me to the content without having to go through Adfly or any similar re-director that gets money for clicks.

Mediafire is a file hosting service like Sim File Share or Dropbox - in itself it's fine.
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    Thank you everyone for your insight and good advice! And thanks @MeteoraStorm for the tip about Universal Bypass--I will totally look into that.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    Mediafire seems to be relatively fine, but Adfly? Nope. Wouldn't risk it.
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif