Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you like open neighborhoods?

12346...Next

Comments

• Options
    leigheleighe Posts: 57 Member
    No
    No I don't play the Sims 3 anymore because of the performance issues and loading issues.
  • Options
    minimonsterscottminimonsterscott Posts: 22 Member
    Yes
    There are actually a massive amount of differences with the Sims 3 Open *Worlds* and the Sims 4 Neighborhoods. I feel that MANY of the issues with Sims 3 and lag came from the ability to alter the worlds as we saw fit to do, adding lots and whatnot all around the world(s). Additionally, CAST created its own slew of issues, with the engine needing to keep the customized (or not) textures in memory while near a lot, only to dump them from video memory when farther away, then needing to re-load them when approached again.

Aside from the immersion-breaking (for me) loading screens to go to the lot next door in a neighborhood, and even with a steady stream of 'spawned' Sims visiting any given neighborhood, the 'hoods still generally feel 'dead' to me, in that if one happens to live next to a restaurant (or X kind of lot) one never sees any activity within the lot, nor any visitors going into/out of the other lots. I feel that at least that little detail could be added without too much effort from the programmers, similar to adding more spawn points via placed doors on a lot or something.

I can only hope (bad idea, I know) that with the team dropping 32-bit support and updates, that such a thing as open neighborhoods could become a reality. Only then would it make any sense to me to add vehicles to use in Sims 4. Just my opinion...
  • Options
    eilianeilian Posts: 1,246 Member
    Yes
    Yes, a thousand times yes! :smile:
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud. - Maya Angelou
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited July 2019
    No
    After Sulani installed.......
    I've noticed the areas your Sim can jog, walk or beaches you can swim to are getting larger all the time as the packs come out so there is less need to go outside your area. You never know, with 64 bit we might get a more open world. As long as it doesn't harm my gaming experience I don't mind. I don't want another crashed hard drive.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Yes
    Open world was overwhelming to me at first. I have to admit I wasn't a fan. But over the years, my Sims never stay at home in any of these games, when I can go do something else. So loading screens, as much as I jump around, are annoying. My Sims have rarely lived their lives (even back in TS1) entirely on one lot. It's what happens that matters to me, not skilling, not levels, not goals, but what is there to do, where is there to go, how will my Sim respond, what exciting and fun or deviant thing will happen when I get there. Those things matter more than my Sim being at home. And if anyone has ever written a story video they know how important it is to jump around with ease to get a different set/scene for the story they are creating without a loading screen. That's not the reason I would like open worlds back but anyone who writes stories knows that is also a very important point.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    jj_____jj_____ Posts: 167 Member
    Yes
    Honesty, it's not something that I need to have and I'm fine with loading screens since they load so quickly in my game, but it would be nice to have that part of the neighborhood open that you're playing at the time.

Actually, with apartments sometimes it bothers me a little when you can't visit your next door neighbor without loading screen. I liked how you could do that in Sims 2, apartments were well made in that game.. if I remember correctly, there weren't much issues with them.

I think that it would be also better if it was optional, something that you choose in game settings, so that you can continue to play without open neighborhood if you want to.

Also don't want that at all if it doesn't work well. Neighborhoods are pretty lively and nice how they are now, only thing that would be nice is to just be able to go nearby lot without loading screen..

Now that I think about it, it would be good if it's something like you have to knock the neighbors door to get access to their lot and can't just go in there do stuff without them welcoming you first. Also, other visitors of the neighborhood wouldn't be able to go their homes (and do a mess there, if they are that kind of sim), only currently payed household could visit that lot. With public lots, everyone could access those lots of course (or maybe there needs to be some rules too, for example kids are not visiting nightclubs and so on). Would be better again if it was optional, because I think that some other players wouldn't mind about that, it would be more realistic if you have no control what's happening in other lots. It would only bother me because of my playing style.
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Yes
    I think if they would at least open each neighborhood, so the entirety in that neighborhood would be open, you could still travel to a diff one in that same town (world) and then it be open, maybe that could help more than none at all
  • Options
    jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    Yes
    Wow! it took me almost 5 years to learn how to really use and appreciate open world. I am a simmer from Sim 1 and 2 days where you spent most of your time on one lot. Sims 3 was so different! It took me ages to really "catch up". Then I just loved it.

Then came Sims 4 and I found the loading screens horrible. It broke my immersion and even though they are faster, they are a headache. Fortunately, I've noticed in later EP's the area you can travel and do things in has widened. There is more room to roam.

So, open neighborhoods, where a defined area is without loading screens, is what I would really love! Take the four areas of the map and just make them open with a loading screen only between each area and other worlds. I think it's a great compromise. Glad there are others who like it. Who knows - with 64 bits we might get it.
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Yes
    I want open worlds back entirely! Why is a loading screen necessary to go to the beach right next to my sims' home?! Unsurprisingly, they rarely go to the beach because of this. The game has improved a lot over the least nearly five years, but this will always be one reason I can't completely choose it over Sims 3.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif