Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims future competitor?

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    Love the art style. Can't wait to see what the 'sims' look like. And I agree it does remind me of Sims Mobile.
  • AllyanabellAllyanabell Posts: 8 New Member
    Doesn’t interest me at all. Sims has been in my life since I was a child in elementary, I’ll never look at anything else.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    To me, the real question is the AI and whether you're tied to specific goals or allowed to play as a sandbox. The build tools look nice, but the AI is where the game could either prove to be a competitor or not.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • AngelluluAngellulu Posts: 634 Member
    Yeah! Healthy competition, now EA will produce better content! That is I sure hope it does, competition only makes things better (unless they choose to forfeight) so I'm excited for what good changes this will bring
  • finnthesimmerfinnthesimmer Posts: 34 Member
    The pushing and pulling in that build mode looks amazing!!!
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    Yeah, the graphics are terrible. If those are the graphics this "competitor" is working with, then I'm sticking with the Sims

This was TS4 on its early stages.

latest?cb=20130521220327
    637?cb=20130613055141
    639?cb=20130520210336

y'all got bread?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Yeah, the graphics are terrible. If those are the graphics this "competitor" is working with, then I'm sticking with the Sims

latest?cb=20130521220327
    637?cb=20130613055141
    639?cb=20130520210336

That was the online version. Graham showed some of those pics from the online.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

latest?cb=20130521220327
    637?cb=20130613055141
    639?cb=20130520210336

The Sims 4 early stages was that, an online game. They scrapped it all and changed to an offline game, recycling almost everything. They say that they were working on more than one game at once and blahblahblah but former developers already confirmed that The Sims 4 was supposed to be an online multiplayer game. That's why the engine is so limited and the game was so incomplete at launch.

I've never seen that confirmation but if there is, I'd love to see it because there is also a claim from a supposedly current dev on Freeplay that there were two games in production, one was code named Olympus (Sims 4,) and one was code named...I think Icarus?...which was supposed to be an online game and was eventually scrapped. EA, being the bad decision makers that they are, only wanted to build one game engine for both games, so the two games were using the same engine, which is what resulted in Sims 4 being forced on an engine that was made for multiplayer, therefore slowing down production and making development difficult.

Regardless of which is the truth or if it lies somewhere in the middle, the results are the same.
    #Team Occult
  • simlimbsimlimb Posts: 52 Member
    I know a lot of people get tired of the Sims because it gets competitive. Hopefully if this competitor makes it to launch, it might revitalize energy for life simulation games! I am very interested about this development. I followed the game and developer on twitter so I can see some more videos and photos of game development!
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

latest?cb=20130521220327
    637?cb=20130613055141
    639?cb=20130520210336

Let me correct this for you @Writin_Reg

This is not the “online version” this is The Sims 4 in it’s early stages when it was an online game. Suggesting online was a separate game is false! Don’t be one of those living in denial, it’s unhealthy.

Also no one, and I repeat, NO ONE from Maxis has muttered a single word about the online origins of Sims 4. Not. One. Person. In fact they have went above and beyond to try and hide the fact that this “offline single player experience” sold as Sims 4 IS in fact the same online game they threw away for being low quality garbage. You of anyone should know this, and I don’t understand why you have suddenly began spreading fiction.
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    Why do I feel this new game is more based on building? Are there any gameplay features known yet??
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member

latest?cb=20130521220327
    637?cb=20130613055141
    639?cb=20130520210336

No, it was Sim Olympus, it was the sims game that became Sims 4. Sims 4 was originally meant to be an online game. There still code in the game for an online feature. That never was fully implented.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

latest?cb=20130521220327
    637?cb=20130613055141
    639?cb=20130520210336

The Sims 4 early stages was that, an online game. They scrapped it all and changed to an offline game, recycling almost everything. They say that they were working on more than one game at once and blahblahblah but former developers already confirmed that The Sims 4 was supposed to be an online multiplayer game. That's why the engine is so limited and the game was so incomplete at launch.

I've never seen that confirmation but if there is, I'd love to see it because there is also a claim from a supposedly current dev on Freeplay that there were two games in production, one was code named Olympus (Sims 4,) and one was code named...I think Icarus?...which was supposed to be an online game and was eventually scrapped. EA, being the bad decision makers that they are, only wanted to build one game engine for both games, so the two games were using the same engine, which is what resulted in Sims 4 being forced on an engine that was made for multiplayer, therefore slowing down production and making development difficult.

Regardless of which is the truth or if it lies somewhere in the middle, the results are the same.

No offense but there is next to no corroboration for that. As opposed to the evidence for the online game, it’s everywhere. I’m not sure if you are looking for specific confirmation by way of Maxis or EA, but you won’t find it from either party.

From what we have learned both Olympus and Icarus were working titles for two prototype versions of Sims 4 both being online/multiplayer. There is a lot of prototyping involved in game dev, and it’s not uncommon to have several prototypes that are basically the same with some different functions. I would expect the same of the two I mentioned earlier, it’s unlikely they were two different games. They were testing out different functions for sure, but there was only one game that would have ever came from either one and it would have been online/multiplayer since that is the direction Maxis as a studio was going.

I’ve seen the “freeplay dev” posts which I don’t believe, for good reasons. For one they sat on years old information and released it around a time of commotion here, on a separate forum, and to be realistic I wouldn’t imagine someone from Australia would have that much insider knowledge about a few prototypes being worked on behind closed doors in a studio halfway across the world.

When all is said and done references to the online game, and functions only found in online games still linger in The Sims 4 game code. It’s really not even a debate as to whether Sims 4 started as an online game, because the game itself has told us yes it did. The insider information we learned prior to the game’s release also holds a lot of weight because it had prototype screenshots leaked alongside.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Since so you showed us (at least in the first page, you think I'm going through all 9?) only the Build Mode, I can't say I'm interested. I never enjoyed building houses, and if the graphics don't improve and there are no occults, I will skip this.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Thanks, @JoAnne65 , that's what I was looking for. I thought there had been something about it before, but I didn't know it was that extensive. I'm very careful about believing hearsay on the forums because I've seen things get twisted and blown out of proportion so many times, lol. That's what gossip does. :s

@drake_mccarty No offense taken. As I said, I'm just skeptical when info comes from people on forums because occasionally, I've seen a few people try to fill in blanks on other topics and then later discover they weren't accurate. (Not saying it's you or even anyone in this thread, just occasional speculation gone wild. You know. The usual, lol.)

But here's an interesting tidbit of info for you guys; I had a last exception once (a while back) in my Sims 4 folder and it actually said, right there in print, "Olympus core". When I first saw it I wasn't sure if I was actually seeing what I was seeing and I debated sharing it on the forums. But I wasn't sure what other kinds of info is in those things so I decided not to. So I've known for sure for a while that Sims 4 definitely = Olympus, but I think that that was actually officially confirmed later to be the code name for Sims 4 in production anyway, though I kept a copy of that last exception, it's sitting in a folder on my desktop. But anyway, the gray area for me has always been if there was one game or two. Which, as I stated above in my previous post, still wouldn't really matter if they were both built on a multiplayer engine anyway. The result would still be pretty much the same - a single player game forced on a multiplayer engine. An all-around bad decision by EA. But thanks again for the info! :)
    #Team Occult
  • CAITLINX354CAITLINX354 Posts: 157 Member
    Seems cute but more focused on build mode which I've never really cared about. The lack of sim Paralives(?) er characters updates is worrisome because the key aspect of any Sims game is how in depth the characters feel (at least it is for me). If they're just generic AIs I won't be too interested.

• 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,553 Member
    Count me in, this looks interesting.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • RIP-Troika-GamesRIP-Troika-Games Posts: 221 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    @drake_mccarty Offer job, prospects, health insurance and pension plan and green card (if not US citizen). He might even take it. EA have plenty of money for that.

Why would a Canadian care about those things? Aren't they quite similar to Europeans in many things.
  • RIP-Troika-GamesRIP-Troika-Games Posts: 221 Member
    edited July 2019
    I don't get how people can say it got bad graphics. It's a game in development. Not sure how early but graphical details are not added until quite late and even at this stage it looks good. It got a certain style to it sure but the graphics looks to be superior to TS4. Which makes sense since TS4 is some years old now.

I'm hoping there will be a lot of focus on gameplay and interactions also and not only building.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    According to the people who made the first game engine - there was a second game engine when it was decided not to go with the online - and they were angry because changing the game engine put three of them out of a job - so it is not the same game engine - but some things were stripped from the first game engine to add to the second one as by the time this was decided the team was short on time from what I saw those guys posting. There was an interview with at least one of the ones who worked on that first game engine over at modthesims right before Sims 4 came out. Also another one of those guy - Gil something or other I forget the last name had a lot of posts with pics on his site of stuff from the earlier game too.

There was tons of info on all this out there right before Sims 4 came out.

One thing to think about is even if it had been the same engine it does not mean anything as most multi-player games that also run a single player campaigne uses the same game engine - so it is not a big deal and not a force issue anyway. As I said - many multi-player games have single person game play on the same engine - so what is the point of this argument anyway? It means NOTHING but another reason to create drama here on the forum that does not even matter.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    It looks good, it will do EA good to have some competition with the Sims and they might actually start producing some decent packs.
    Sometimes a company does need a good 'kick up the backside' to wake it up and produce decent work. EA have needed this for some time..
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    I would love for The Sims to have some competition.
    The genre is being held back because there is none.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds