Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living is a Great Disappointment (Sort of a Rant)

Comments

• AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited July 2019
    You would at least expect them to complete the new hyped up object - but instead sims can barely use it. So sad. :s
    It's not like we expect that much of the devs here - just finish the plum lounger. Sims should have facial expressions, be able to chat while using it - at the very least! That they complete it with Sims being able to read or listen to music while using it, that's not too much to ask either. Absolute disgrace EA - shameful!
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • MochiMommaMochiMomma Posts: 41 Member
    I agree with OP so much... I am still enjoying this pack, but yea after having played Sims 1,2, and 3 I do find it painful how much gets left out of Sims 4. I was so utterly dissapointed when I realized you can't go underwater in this expansion. I am just happy to have some tropical beach scenery though, honestly. Although, even with all the settings maxed out, I feel like the view out my sims' little beach house is super hazy and blurry. It doesn't seem to be as much a problem in lots inside the cove but I built on the north end of the map and perhaps that is too close to the edge of the created world. Also, the new careers could have been much more entertaining if you didn't just send them off in to the void. Particularly the conservationist one. :(
  • NezImaniNezImani Posts: 1,016 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    babajayne wrote: »
    DyingLight wrote: »
    The sims 4 IL is quality content. The devs worked so hard in order to give us this EP and we should be grateful, because the sims is a very old game and EA is the only company interested in keeping it alive. I love the sims 4 and I hope I can get IL soon because the sims is one of my favorite games.

The problem with people nowadays: they see all the content on videos, so when they get their hands on the game it's easy for them to say "I've seen it all."

That's why I haven't seen any videos of IL yet (just EA's trailer), so when I finally get the game, it's going to be full of surprises for me. <3
    Well, you don’t have it yet so you wouldn’t know.

I shared the same optimism before. The “spoiler” videos I watched didn’t have much besides showing the bb items and showing a mermaid swim around. I’ve been playing it all weekend, taking it slow exploring what was new. I’m really bummed that there isn’t much beyond objects and scenery.

I wish I didn’t agree with the OP, and up until recently I might not have necessarily felt the same way. I understand certain decisions were made to make this game more playable. It seems the pendulum has swung too far back to simplicity. And now we have a ton of new bugs and I’m feeling disenchanted.

This is why I'm not sure TS4 deserves another two or three years. It reminds me of my last year of school, where no one is working as hard, and all the classes teachers aren't really pressing students and or assigning major things to get done before the end of school, but sitting around and yaking, feet up on desks, telling glory day stories, kids or teens goofing off, all just waiting for it to be over. Half effort put into the last essay, and since it is the last, most get a high grade, just because it's the last, though may not be deserving etc. Lots of fairwell parties going on during class hours, and lots of cleaning out lockers, desks and really distracted with other stuff while the last days of school wind down. Those in charge looking forward to summer and the school year finally over. That is what TS4 has been since about two years ago. It was never very impressive but since they would keep making it, sure they can, but it's like the last days of school with hardly any effort at all.

Sims team, if this is what is happening, just end the sims 4 and do the sims 5 already but with open world, whatever the sims 4 was supposed to improve from sims 3, and let’s put more effort into improving the gameplay again please? :smile:

A pretty game can only get you so far. The sims 4 is significantly lacking in terms of gameplay when you compare it to the sims 3. Why is that? :neutral:
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member

I personally love Island Living. With a little imagination and time in CAS, rebuilding and remodeling, building up your families, relatives and townies--the game is so much fun (which takes a lot of enjoyable time.) These are the Sulani Families in every house on my Island. I love creating families that range from parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, nieces, and etc.--Several are related and I've moved many of them into their own houses. Sulani is the perfect atmospher for gatherings at the beach, toddler events, parties--so I take a lot of time creating households (the gallery can be your friend) and my own townies. This is why my game is never boring. I've done this with every world and I make sure my Sims travel around to meet these families because I like the max lot allowance of Sims at all my events especially my toddler parties--too cute. Enjoy.

Ngata Family--Dad, Keanu Ngata. Mom, Savanna Ngata. Teen Daughter: Alanna Ngata. Son: Tane Ngata. Son/Toddler: Toniu Ngata.
    6ib7ns.jpg

Ono Family--Dad, Kai Ono. Mom: Noelani Ono. Teen Son: Finn Ono. Daughter: Talia Ono
    mlh0gg.jpg

Dating--Brody Kahananui and Angel Palakiko. Brody’s family also lives Lani St. Taz. Angel’s family live in Mua Pel’Am
    2m7ja1d.jpg

Brody's Parents and brothers--Dad, Troy Kahananui. Mom: JoAnna Kahananui. Teen Son: Quinn Kahananui. Son: Kory Kahananui. Son: Zach Kahananui
    5agzyw.jpg

Angel's Parents and siblings--Dad: Kono Palakiko. Mom: Rebekah Palakiko. Teen Daughter: Shantel Palakiko. Child Daughter: Malania Palakiko. Child Daughter: Taloia Palakiko
    j9c4sk.jpg

Married: Cole & Leilani Kahale. Leilani’s family, the Popoi, also live near them. Cole’s family, the Kahale lives on Mua Pel’Am.
    24l8olg.jpg

Leilani's Parents and siblings: Dad: Mana Popoi, Mom: Taweli Popoi, Daughter: Child Tania Popoi, and Child: Ani Popoi. Mana Popoi and Keanu Ngata (1st photo) are brothers.
    hvqook.jpg

Cole's Parents and Siblings--Dad: Salomano Kahle. Mom: Maolanie Kahale. Young Adult Daughter: Noelani Kahale. Child Son: Arjun Kahale. Toddler Son: Conor Kahale. Toddle Daughter: Zuri Kahale.
    11l1wut.jpg

Balhe Family--Dad: Nohea Balhe. Mom: Reilani Balhe. Child Son: Haku Balhe
    2rqkn0i.jpg

Kealoha Family--Dad: Makoa Kealoha. Mom: Lilliani Kealoha. Teen Son: Loto Kealoha. Child Daughter: Nana Kealoha. Toddler Son: Taavi Kealoha.
    2ahfyhx.jpg

Danny Kekoa and his redhead girlfriend, Noelani Kahale, and the Bartender Noelani Ono. Danny is currently making his way up in Rags to Riches. Danny started off with nothing initially. But by taking many and I mean many odd jobs until he was finally hired in the Conservation field. Also, he dives a lot for treasure and sold it to the locals. He worked his way up to his current position as Aquatic Ecologist. Danny plans to propose to Noelani once he's financially stable.
    23ww46p.jpg

Happy Island Living!
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
    Aine wrote: »
    @Hearts4u You're not the only one that creates families and backstories for sims in the game - it has nothing to do with if you enjoy this pack or not. Sorry, but you come off really condescending, even if that probably wasn't your intent. I love playing big families and create them meticulously. This pack is still horrible and would be lacking even as a game pack. Lounge chairs aren't even finished for crying out loud. And mermaids plums. There are SO much they could have done better, without even asking for that much. You should post this in the IL appreciation thread, not here. I don't go in there and tell people how bad the pack is. Just saying.

Ur just caring this over from another thread. Get over yourself and move on dude. If you enjoy your game play then enjoy the same way I enjoy my gameplay. There are so many gallery uploads that one can see that everyone enoys the game. Just let stuff go.
    @Hearts4u This IS the thread. :D What exactly do I need to 'move on' from? Eh? Do you even know? :D Seems like YOU'RE the one that can't accept that people have a different opinion of this pack than you. Go ahead and enjoy it, nobody told you otherwise. Just don't post SO many pictures of irrelevant stuff in a thread about GAMEPLAY and expect people to not say anything. Go and play your game instead of hassling people with a different opinion. Honestly now! ;)

Aine, I wish you well and enjoy your game play. Happy Simming. :D
    @Hearts4u Okay, bye!
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited July 2019
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    I personally love Island Living. With a little imagination and time in CAS, rebuilding and remodeling, building up your families, relatives and townies--the game is so much fun (which takes a lot of enjoyable time.) These are the Sulani Families in every house on my Island. I love creating families that range from parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, nieces, and etc.--Several are related and I've moved many of them into their own houses. Sulani is the perfect atmospher for gatherings at the beach, toddler events, parties--so I take a lot of time creating households (the gallery can be your friend) and my own townies. This is why my game is never boring. I've done this with every world and I make sure my Sims travel around to meet these families because I like the max lot allowance of Sims at all my events especially my toddler parties--too cute. Enjoy.
    Ngata Family--Dad, Keanu Ngata. Mom, Savanna Ngata. Teen Daughter: Alanna Ngata. Son: Tane Ngata. Son/Toddler: Toniu Ngata.
    6ib7ns.jpg

Ono Family--Dad, Kai Ono. Mom: Noelani Ono. Teen Son: Finn Ono. Daughter: Talia Ono
    mlh0gg.jpg

Dating--Brody Kahananui and Angel Palakiko. Brody’s family also lives Lani St. Taz. Angel’s family live in Mua Pel’Am
    2m7ja1d.jpg

Brody's Parents and brothers--Dad, Troy Kahananui. Mom: JoAnna Kahananui. Teen Son: Quinn Kahananui. Son: Kory Kahananui. Son: Zach Kahananui
    5agzyw.jpg

Angel's Parents and siblings--Dad: Kono Palakiko. Mom: Rebekah Palakiko. Teen Daughter: Shantel Palakiko. Child Daughter: Malania Palakiko. Child Daughter: Taloia Palakiko
    j9c4sk.jpg

Married: Cole & Leilani Kahale. Leilani’s family, the Popoi, also live near them. Cole’s family, the Kahale lives on Mua Pel’Am.
    24l8olg.jpg

Leilani's Parents and siblings: Dad: Mana Popoi, Mom: Taweli Popoi, Daughter: Child Tania Popoi, and Child: Ani Popoi. Mana Popoi and Keanu Ngata (1st photo) are brothers.
    hvqook.jpg

Cole's Parents and Siblings--Dad: Salomano Kahle. Mom: Maolanie Kahale. Young Adult Daughter: Noelani Kahale. Child Son: Arjun Kahale. Toddler Son: Conor Kahale. Toddle Daughter: Zuri Kahale.
    11l1wut.jpg

2rqkn0i.jpg

Kealoha Family--Dad: Makoa Kealoha. Mom: Lilliani Kealoha. Teen Son: Loto Kealoha. Child Daughter: Nana Kealoha. Toddler Son: Taavi Kealoha.
    2ahfyhx.jpg

Danny Kekoa and his redhead girlfriend, Noelani Kahale, and the Bartender Noelani Ono. Danny is currently making his way up in Rags to Riches. Danny started off with nothing initially. But by taking many and I mean many odd jobs until he was finally hired in the Conservation field. Also, he dives a lot for treasure and sold it to the locals. He worked his way up to his current position as Aquatic Ecologist. Danny plans to propose to Noelani once he's financially stable.
    23ww46p.jpg

Happy Island Living!

Fixed it for you.
    I can see why people are upset about Island Living, I for one also want a TS5 to be announced sooner or later and be done with TS4, but then we have to wait again for another packs over and over again but if the basegame itself is full of gameplay and not so barebone I guess it's ok.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2019

6ib7ns.jpg

mlh0gg.jpg

2m7ja1d.jpg

5agzyw.jpg

j9c4sk.jpg

24l8olg.jpg

hvqook.jpg

11l1wut.jpg

2rqkn0i.jpg

2ahfyhx.jpg

23ww46p.jpg

Happy Island Living!

That's a nice family, but We all do this in all the games. So, there is nothing new here. Building families and might I add, very extended families (in TS3) not so much in TS2, have always been possible. Paying for a GP at EP prices to build a new family is hardly worth getting a pack. We can do this in all of them. Every iteration, with every EP. CAS is not the reason I play The Sims series to just pose Sims and make up a story with my pictures. I play Sims to simulate.

Party events are possible in TS3, odd jobs are possible in TS2 and TS3, gatherings are possible in TS2, Group outings are possible in TS2, invite over the entire families is possible in TS2 for family reunions or for whatever, no, he didn't have to take odd jobs you could have gotten the job you wanted with one click so that's part of lore, made up story. But unlike the other games, there was no simulation stopping you from getting a job you wanted as in the other games, without the skill or experience or the higher education. Danny can't really propose to Noelani, you will have to do it, no simulation, in TS3 they can, you have a nice made up story, but you don't have simulation. You don't even have a wish/want/whim to ask you to have him marry her. Whims were not even part of an EP this time. Less for More. You can delete any one of these Sims and no one will care, no family member will even miss, know or remember. AKA Dress up game. And by the way, these Sims aren't even unique, I have seen those faces two trillion times and nothing special or unique about them. You may have worked hard on them, and sure they are lovely, but all TS4 Sims look the same, regardless of skin type.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited July 2019
    @Cinebar Exactly! I don't want to play dolls, I want to play a simulation.
    Allons-y!

I noticed in Carl's Guide Review (his first time for Game Changers, he gives it an F) the Sims don't even simulate digging around in the sand. Their hands don't even reach the sand, that was one of my many observations concerning so called simulation. :s
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

I noticed in Carl's Guide Review (his first time for Game Changers, he gives it an F) the Sims don't even simulate digging around in the sand. Their hands don't even reach the sand, that was one of my many observations concerning so called simulation. :s
    Omg :s
    Allons-y!

Yes, he is really, really, bummed out about this costing an EP price and lays out exactly why it is one of the worst in the entire series of The Sims. If devs would watch his review he explains exactly why it's half done and little point to playing any of the new things they did add. It's very indepth and explains how most of us feel about it. But with great detail which devs should understand exactly what he is talking about.

Yes, he is really, really, bummed out about this costing an EP price and lays out exactly why it is one of the worst in the entire series of The Sims. If devs would watch his review he explains exactly why it's half done and little point to playing any of the new things they did add. It's very indepth and explains how most of us feel about it. But with great detail which devs should understand exactly what he is talking about.
    I hope they hear and understand it. I think what I'm most disappointed by is the incomplete features and objects. The lounge chair for instance is such a half finished rush job, it might aswell be a cc object - but a badly done cc object! I just don't get how they can with good conscience release a pack like this. At this point I feel like they are spending more resources on promotion of the packs than they actually do making them.
    The whole things makes me both angry and sad at the same time.
    Allons-y!

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I don’t think they care. They have the money of people that paid for it, they are going to get a lot more next month when it comes out on console.

A company that listens to its consumers doesn’t put out the same surgery as the one before, that was also identical to the one before that. A survey that focuses on engagement. But we never actually see any changes.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    So who's buying the next expansion pack? 😁
    I don't know how I can with good conscience buy sunbathing and swimming in the ocean for 40 bucks. That's insanity. To me it feels more like an overpriced stuff pack if I consider what I'm actually willing to pay for. I don't want to pay for missing or broken content. I don't want to pay for only the idea of a pack, it actually has to have the content for me to want to pay 40 bucks.

Agreed.

As much as I have wanted a tropical expansion with beach and water activities, as much as I've been waiting for it, so I can finally and personally call TS4 done, I can't justify buying Island Living for 40 USD. I won't. The pack isn't worth it.

Once I saw the trailer and realized that the 'game' was mostly about the aesthetics of the world and once I saw that most of the activities that I really wanted were once again solely for single Sims, I could almost hear my wallet slamming shut.

For me, that's a flippin' breakthrough -- only, not in a positive way. I've never missed an island pack in the entire series, until now. I think that's the opposite of what EA was shooting for.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    My twin daughters waited till the LAST minute and picked up the FREE sims4. (they wouldn't even purchase it when it was $4.99)

One daughter went the tutorial route, it was too long so she exited that. She made a sim in CAS and went to play but it crashed saying it didn't recognize her card? She has a new mac laptop.

Other daughter made a sim and moved them into a house and experienced the bed bug where they couldn't sleep. She checked the forums and tried everything and just quit it. She also has a new mac laptop.

This is awful if you get a game and its buggy from the beginning. I doubt they ever go back to try it again. They don't have time to sit and figure out the problems when they have worked all day and just want to relax and play a game (and they shouldn't have to). This is truly sad what is happened to this "different" version of sims. Makes me wonder how many of the new simmers who took advantage of this free sims4 actually are playing it!

(sorry if this doesn't fit in, I have difficulty on if this is the correct thread to post in or not).
    Now I will post again about my gameplay issues......not happy :s
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member

6ib7ns.jpg

mlh0gg.jpg

2m7ja1d.jpg

5agzyw.jpg

j9c4sk.jpg

24l8olg.jpg

hvqook.jpg

11l1wut.jpg

2rqkn0i.jpg

2ahfyhx.jpg

23ww46p.jpg

Happy Island Living!

Beautiful families, but there is still no gameplay.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    78 awesomes so far... that proves a point. I knew this EP would be the same things as all the other packs before, when i saw the toddler animation being the same as the kiddie poll! Lazyness is going to be the death of Sims. I remember the guides in simsvip, and i understand your point so badly... Only yesterday i found out that we could bathe our babies in the sink in SIms 2... that game is from 2004 guys, and i am still finding so many stuff to play with! Sims 4 shouldn't be just a new game, they should have remade sims 1/2/3 in one single game + new stuff (like the club system or the calendar), but no... instead they cut weird corners to fit new stuff (like cutting diving and reusing animations). Its sad to see The Sims dying, but every phoenis has to burn to death to be able to reborn, i hope Sims 5 will do that, otherwise i'll be preaching on the internet to get a new life simulator from other companies.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Lets start with my single sim. It was fun at first, Don L. was always flirting around, then CL (I think thats the one that brought the unflirty trait) came along and wiped out all that. It is a constant job trying to flirt and move onto the next level (for me anyway). Other sims just don't flirt, my sim flirts, they are ok with it but continue to carry on conversations and never take it upon themselves to flirt back. They are more concerned about fanning over the celebrities, LOL. That was my play style and I never had to work this hard on my own and gave up on finding one, I just make one up and move them in when the time comes to move forward. Should I have to? NO.

So I quit playing for two years. Tried it again, but I can only make sims and build houses and then what? The gameplay is not there, you have to figure out how to tell your story (while working around bugs) but I am not a storyteller. Where is my feathers or hearts that automatically appear when you meet someone? I don't want to waste my time on sims that are not attracted to each other. Playing single is tough for me.

Playing families is even tougher. Toddlers are bugged, why should I have to "resetsim" all the time, or go to build mode thinking it might fix the issue, how many times should I try to "repair" the game or start a new one? Family play is out for me. Even OTG is bugged.

I hardly ever seen bugs in my game till maybe strangerville or the one before that? How can you even tell if there is any gameplay if you can't even play the game with the bugs?