Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tube Elevator In Basement

So I can fit a normal set of stairs, or basically anything else in the basement at normal height, but for some reason I can't get a tube elevator down there. I tried starting from the basement and going up, tried going down from the top down, but i just can't seem to get it to go. I know people have done it, so I don't really understand why it won't go in. Any ideas?

Comments

• SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited November 2013
    So I can fit a normal set of stairs, or basically anything else in the basement at normal height, but for some reason I can't get a tube elevator down there. I tried starting from the basement and going up, tried going down from the top down, but i just can't seem to get it to go. I know people have done it, so I don't really understand why it won't go in. Any ideas?

Sometimes when you try to place an item that won't place it gives you some text which hints at the reason. It frequently has to do with objects on the level above obstructing the placement such as a window or a wall sconce or a ceiling light. If you can find the obstructing object and remove it you can frequently put the object back after you have placed the tube.

Sometimes when I cannot figure out how something is done I deconstruct a lot that has the thing I want on it. I know that the Cafeteria lot in OL has a basement tube elevator. You could try deconstructing that to see how it was done there.

One other thing. Have you tried testingcheatsenabled true and moveobjects on cheats? And have you placed flooring in the basement?

/edit: do you have a foundation in the way?
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • GimzyTheGreatGimzyTheGreat Posts: 6
    edited November 2013
    What does moveobjects do?

I put a floor down but it's still telling me "Ceiling too low"

There is no foundation

Nothing is in the way, even when i move it out from under the other elavator, no matter wher ei go it keeps saying ceiling too low.
  • Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited November 2013
    I've had better luck placing the tube elevator on the top level first then work my way down. You shouldn't need to use MOO to place it. Good luck!
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • SpunkyBeliSpunkyBeli Posts: 915 Member
    edited November 2013
    I've been very successful at placing tube elevators in the basement. I always place in the basement first then work my way up.
    First Sims 4 expansion = Wanting X tumblr_l9szamVtGc1qaj989.gif Squared
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited November 2013
    You won't be able to place a tube elevator down in the basement if your house is on a foundation. I had tried to do that and I just got: can't place through foundation. I even tried the moveobjects cheat, and it still wouldn't let me place one those elevators down there. You can place one in a basement of a house that has no foundation, but not one with a foundation. :D
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    edited November 2013
    I have the same issue and there is no foundation also nothing above to get in the way.So it's either boring stairs or a huge elevator. :roll:
  • SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited November 2013
    What does moveobjects do?

I put a floor down but it's still telling me "Ceiling too low"

There is no foundation

Nothing is in the way, even when i move it out from under the other elavator, no matter wher ei go it keeps saying ceiling too low.

Well I hadn't tried building since ITF came out. So I tried it out. Building on a flat lot with nothing tricky I built a plain square basement. I had no trouble placing the tube elevator anywhere in the basement. No cheats required.

The "Ceiling to low" message is your hint. If you can place a staircase with no problems in the basement and you have no foundations or platforms in the area you are trying to place it then it is not talking about the basement's ceiling. It has to be something about the ceiling on the first level above the basement that is too low. A sloped roof in the area you are trying to place the tube for example would cause that.

But without being able to see your problem it is really hard to tell you what abour your specific build is causing the problem without seeing it. You could try posting pictures if you still cannot figure it out.

Moveobjects on is a cheat which allows you to place buy and build objects where the game will not normally allow you to place them. This is to prevent routing errors in the game. For example, you would normally not want to place a chair in front of a door because then it would block the door from working. Moveobjects is used all the time by builders who are careful about how they use it if they are aware of what placements will and won't cause routing errors. An example of the use of moveobjects on can be seen in the market square in Al Simhara. The fountain in that square has a torch coming out of the middle of it. The torch was placed by use of the moveobjects on cheat allowing two separate objects to be placed in the same location.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited November 2013
    I have the same issue and there is no foundation also nothing above to get in the way.So it's either boring stairs or a huge elevator. :roll:
    That has happen to me too once or twice. Usually I would start removing things that in the area where I was going to place a tube elevator until I found what was blocking the tube elevator from being placed there.:D
  • amjoieamjoie Posts: 3,516 Member
    edited November 2013
    What I have to say won't help you in this situation, because you already have the problem. But, in the future, place stairs, tubes, elevators, etc, in your basement prior to building above them. Then place those same things on each floor of the structure, before building the rest of the structure. That way, they will always place properly. Be sure to play test them after you complete building and decorating, though, to make sure you didn't get some object placed too closely, adversely affecting operation.
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited November 2013
    First houses with foundation are not level with basements as the foundation is stuck halfway into the subtranian level like pools used to be until a recent patch that allowed to pool walls to go down to basement level. In order to get a elevator to work on a house with a foundation, the two cheats we will use is testingcheatsenabled true and buydebug true, now go into the uneven level that has part of the foundation in it and click the box with the ? mark sort by tombs or misc and find the marker ball that says skick level, this will allow a level skip from the buttom part of the foundation floor to the basement floor. This will allow you to play tube elevators through the foundation floor. place the skip level marker on both the bottom and top part of the foundation, now you will be building at the proper basement structure level.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Valkyrie77Valkyrie77 Posts: 1 New Member
    I have had the same problem, if nothing is in the way and you don't have a foundation, try deleting the roof then installing the elevator between the basement and the first floor. For some reason it says that even if you have multiple floors above the basement. Once the elevator is in place put the roof back.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey there, it's awesome you found a solution! This thread has been inactive for a long while I'm going to go ahead and lock this up now. If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top