Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims future competitor?

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    I'm thinking that beautiful graphics is going to become even more important in any new iteration of a Sims' game (if we get one) considering the frequent complaints on here about the seagulls, and chickens and how CC makers and modders do it better. I might be content with a Red Dead Redemption 2 or Forza 4 (British) landscape type background myself in a new iteration.

As far as making a better game goes Will Wright read a great many experts' books on city building and philosophy to get The Sims off to a good start and it took his house burning down to realise what he really needed in life and how to build a simulation game using those principles. The new try might be soulless to my mind if it doesn't have a philosophy behind it. Sims4 feels a little lacking in that too these days, a bit like Stepford wives. I enjoy playing it but don't engage with my Sims' lives much but that's not a drawback if I want to kill one off!.

Minecraft is not the Sims but a construction game to me. Good as it is.
  • ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    edited July 2019
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    Barbie430 wrote: »
    elelunicy wrote: »
    @ElenPink wrote: »
    It's beyond laughable to think that one person can just make a Sims competitor on their own.

Hmm, if you checked out his Patreon he is raising the money so that he can contact other people to help with the game. Here, let me make things easier for you and copy/paste what he wrote:

"The money will allow me to keep working on it and also reach out to other developers for music, sound effects, etc."

:)

I did see it and music/sound effects are the last thing they need to worry about.

Even a indie studio of 10+ developers working full time (which would mean like $50,000+ per month budget wise) would struggle extremely hard to make something even comparable to the 2014 version of TS4 base game.

You have to be incredibly naive to think that one person can make a Sims competitor. TS4 literally made EA over $1 billion in revenue. Every indie developer would flock to making a Sims competitor if that's something they can do on their own.

$1 billion? From The Sims 4 alone? Do you have a source for that? I’m legitimately curious given how tight EA is with their numbers.

Personally, I find it very hard to believe. $100 million in revenue? Yes. Maybe even $500 million. But $1 billion? That’s FIFA money, not TS4 money 😆

Here's your proof.

https://simsvip.com/2019/02/05/ea-earnings-q3-fy19-the-sims-crosses-1-billion-in-lifetime-revenue/

I still say it's too early to call this an actual competitor for TS4. I don't like the graphics style already.

You think graphics is the most important thing for a competitor? Have you even seen minecraft and how many players it had?

Yeah, the graphics are terrible. If those are the graphics this "competitor" is working with, then I'm sticking with the Sims.

Oh dear. I don't like repeating myself.
    Also, I know the graphics don't look amazing, but I don't think I need to remind people that it is very early in development. TS4 did not look like how it looks now while it was being developed.
    ^^That was from my post, if you read it.
    Post edited by ElenPink on
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2019
    I hope he gets a KickStarter fund as I said earlier. I would give him $60 to try his game. It can't be any worse than TS4. And with that in mind wouldn't be the first time I wasted $60 on a pack or new game. ETA: And look on the bright side, all of us who are very unhappy with Maxis with this iteration would be gone...yay, TS4 would have their happy place, and we would all be over on a different site playing a different franchise. And Maxis could go on trying to market to those who have never played this series and not have to keep telling their core fan base they are no longer the target..New Franchise...everyone wins. :p (Everyone should start donating, TS4 players to be rid of what Peter Moore called 'that hardcore bunch' and Maxis to be rid of their particular, picky core fanbase, and those of us who want a new game' we would all win in the end.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,182 Member
    Barbie430 wrote: »
    @ElenPink wrote: »
    It's beyond laughable to think that one person can just make a Sims competitor on their own.

Hmm, if you checked out his Patreon he is raising the money so that he can contact other people to help with the game. Here, let me make things easier for you and copy/paste what he wrote:

"The money will allow me to keep working on it and also reach out to other developers for music, sound effects, etc."

:)

I did see it and music/sound effects are the last thing they need to worry about.

Even a indie studio of 10+ developers working full time (which would mean like $50,000+ per month budget wise) would struggle extremely hard to make something even comparable to the 2014 version of TS4 base game.

You have to be incredibly naive to think that one person can make a Sims competitor. TS4 literally made EA over $1 billion in revenue. Every indie developer would flock to making a Sims competitor if that's something they can do on their own.

$1 billion? From The Sims 4 alone? Do you have a source for that? I’m legitimately curious given how tight EA is with their numbers.

Personally, I find it very hard to believe. $100 million in revenue? Yes. Maybe even $500 million. But $1 billion? That’s FIFA money, not TS4 money 😆

Here's your proof.

https://simsvip.com/2019/02/05/ea-earnings-q3-fy19-the-sims-crosses-1-billion-in-lifetime-revenue/

I still say it's too early to call this an actual competitor for TS4. I don't like the graphics style already.

You think graphics is the most important thing for a competitor? Have you even seen minecraft and how many players it had?

Yeah, the graphics are terrible. If those are the graphics this "competitor" is working with, then I'm sticking with the Sims.

I don't think graphics as important as game play.If the game play is good, and functional.The game would be good.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,442 Member
    In their Twitter feed, they say they are working on optimizing the game for lower end computers. I doubt the graphics will be bumped up much farther. But I'm more interested in what the people look like and if the gameplay is engaging.
    #Team Occult
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Hope it will be less ''bright'', I don't like when games are bright like that. I prefer how TS2 & TS3 were.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited July 2019
    Talking about graphics... new picture from the game!

Still early in development but looks very cute

Looks like cars in that game! THE SIMS 4 COULD NEVER!

Edited: Love the grass detail!
    Promises a lot but I remember Vie.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    @Simburian wrote: »

So far this developer has released way more material from his game than the Vie twitter account ever did. Major difference between the two, but if you are so skeptical that this is not legit just rest assured you don’t have to keep coming back to this thread to check on it and suggest it’s fake. Lol
    edited July 2019
    Simburian wrote: »

Why would someone create a pateron over a game that they may never create? Wouldn't that been a crime?

How would a fake game have accurate gifs?

What I remember from the vie, they have easily photoshopped their images of the game lol and deleted it straight away!

So far this developer has released way more material from his game than the Vie twitter account ever did. Major difference between the two, but if you are so skeptical that this is not legit just rest assured you don’t have to keep coming back to this thread to check on it and suggest it’s fake. Lol

Now it's got a thread I expect EA will go and have a look. It doesn't like competitors much. lol. :D
    edited July 2019

Now it's got a thread I expect EA will go and have a look. It doesn't like competitors much. lol. :D

Always expect the unexpected! Like the time we thought Donald Trump has no chance of being president :P but look what happened!

Plus this man created, pets, boats, seasons, adjustable walls & windows and that is for original game only. They are creating a game for their own creative mind, not for money. So yes EA has competition as people will love a game that is creative, not for purchasing.

Always expect the unexpected! Like the time we thought Donald Trump has no chance of being president :P but look what happened!

Plus this man created, pets, boats, seasons, adjustable walls & windows and that is for original game only. They are creating a game for their own creative mind, not for money. So yes EA has competition as people will love a game that is creative, not for purchasing.

Trump is not my fault. I'm British. lol. No politics. No, I really wish the creator(s)? luck but things tend to get so far and then they get tempted by large cash offers as so many small companies do.

I just wish I wasn't so cynical sometimes. :(
    I've seen a nice little program about petting dogs in a park though, more my scene.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,386 Member
    ElenPink wrote: »
    Oh btw, @catloverplayer to further prove your speculation wrong, since there was literally no proof of the game being multiplayer anywhere, I am on the discord channel and Alex Masse said that the game would only be singleplayer.

Ok then. I'll give this game a chance but I'm still going to continue buying packs for TS4.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,386 Member
    I believe Rod Humble will be making a Life Sim as well atleast that is the rumor.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Maybe they will take some notes! EA, of course doesn’t want competition in the life sim genre but it’s not like there’s anything they can do to stop that. Are you suggesting they will somehow intervene in this indie game’s development? Are you that naive?
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,182 Member
    ElenPink wrote: »
    Oh btw, @catloverplayer to further prove your speculation wrong, since there was literally no proof of the game being multiplayer anywhere, I am on the discord channel and Alex Masse said that the game would only be singleplayer.

Ok then. I'll give this game a chance but I'm still going to continue buying packs for TS4.

Nothing wrong with that! We can still support the sims, and other game titles.
  • ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member

Eh. You're not really comparing the two, right?
    Vie was developed by some angry troll with clearly bad Photoshop skills. Anyone who fell for that was clearly dumb as bricks.

Does that GIF look Photoshopped to you?
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • JPsimmerJPsimmer Posts: 109 Member
    Guys we have to be realistic. It is inevitable there will be hardcore TS4 loyalists and defenders who will attempt to hijack this thread and talk it down. 😂😂😂

On a serious note. I HAVE NOT BEEN THIS EXCITED IN YEAAAAAARS!

Maybe they will take some notes! EA, of course doesn’t want competition in the life sim genre but it’s not like there’s anything they can do to stop that. Are you suggesting they will somehow intervene in this indie game’s development? Are you that naive?

Cynical. Nice try.
  • kphillips2977kphillips2977 Posts: 135 Member
    I can't wait to see this game become reality. I have been so bored with the Sims 4. I have tried so hard to get into the game but I just can't. I buy packs in hopes that maybe they will release the Sims 5 and it will be better (I honestly believe the Sims 5 will be sold with even less content than the sims 4). When I look through the new packs I buy and see how little there is for the price I paid it just disappoints me. My husband bought Island Living for me. I feel obligated to play it because he spent 42.00 and some change on it, but I just can't get into it. I want to ride the boats around and things but it just feels empty. I don't like to play rotational but I feel for there to be a town story I have to play that way or the world doesn't repopulate. Its just depressing and I feel as if I've wasted so much time and money on the Sims 4 only to be given paper. (not literally just the feeling I have). I come to the forums to see if maybe there is something that will change the game or maybe I am just hoping.
    Competition or a chance to play something that will have that alive feeling again for me would be awesome and I feel I have been waiting a very long time for that feeling again.
    I have hopes that a competitor will come along and I can just move along since its obvious that the sims 4 is just not what I hoped it would be. I don't want to play with mods to make my game complete. I just want to play a game that plays well on its own and mods are just optional, not a must have to make the game complete.
    I will support this developer in hopes (if it never becomes a game I can play, it wouldn't be the first time I wasted money on a game I couldn't play) that I will have a new life simulator I can play.
    [img][/img]001701c.gif

• kphillips2977kphillips2977 Posts: 135 Member
    Talking about graphics... new picture from the game!

Still early in development but looks very cute

This looks amazing!!!
    [img][/img]001701c.gif