Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Basic Cost Per Item for each Pack in sims 4

TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
edited June 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
this doesn't include any gameplay mechanics

So scrolling the internet I've noticed a lot of players and game changers have said that it feels more like a game pack, so as a side project of mine (mostly because I'm curious) I've been keeping track of how many items are in each pack, this doesn't include gameplay. All items in CAS are weighed the same, interactive items are weighed the same as decorative items. I might keep this thread updated as more packs come out is anyones interest. Also, let me know if I got anything wrong count wise. (I am also doing these for sims 2 and 3 as well but they're not nearly as easy to count for.)
Base game and Expansions
tumblr_ptm4a4kDUw1xi5hclo1_640.png
Number
E01
E02
E03
E04
E05
E06
E07
Title
BASE GAME
Get To Work
Get Together
City Living
Cats & Dogs
Seasons
Get Famous
Island Living
CAS items
Buy/Build
Worlds
careers
price
$60.00
$39.99
$39.99
$39.99
$39.99
$39.99
$39.99
$39.99
value
$0.03
$0.07
$0.09
$0.10
$0.07
$0.13
$0.09
$0.12

Game Packs
tumblr_ptm4a4kDUw1xi5hclo2_640.png
Number
G01
G02
G03
G04
G05
G06
G07
G08
Title
Outdoor Retreat
Spa Day
Dine Out
Vampires
Parenthood
Jungle Adventures
Strangerville
Realm of Magic
CAS items
TBA
Buy/Build
TBD
Worlds
TBD
careers
TBD
price
$19.99
$19.99
$19.99
$19.99
$19.99
$19.99
$19.99
$19.99
value
$0.13
$0.12
$0.13
$0.10
$0.14
$0.10
$0.14
$TBD

Stuff Packs
tumblr_ptm4a4kDUw1xi5hclo3_640.png
Number
S01
S02
S03
S04
S05
S06
S07
S08
S09
S10
S11
S12
S13
S14
S15
Title
Luxury Party Stuff
Perfect Patio Stuff
Cool Kitchen Stuff
Spooky Stuff
Movie Hangout Stuff
ROmantic Garden Stuff
Kids Room Stuff
Backyard Stuff
Vintage Glamour Stuff
Bowling Night Stuff
Fitness Stuff
Toddler Stuff
Laundry Day Stuff
My First Pet Stuff
Myschino
CAS items
TBD
Buy/Build
TBD
Worlds
TBD
careers
price
$9.99
$9.99
$9.99
$9.99
$9.99
$9.99
$9.99
$9.99
$9.99
$9.99
$9.99
$9.99
$9.99
$9.99
$9.99
value
$0.19
$0.23
$0.19
$0.14
$0.16
$0.20
$0.14
$0.16
$0.15
$0.18
$0.24
$0.19
$0.15
$0.14
$9.99

Comments

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited June 2019
    It's not as simple as looking at the number of items compared to the price of the pack. You've got the "under the hood" stuff, the programming that makes aliens possible in GTW and clubs in GT and mermaids in IL, or the ability to customize a menu and send your Sims out to eat in DO, or even in an SP like Movie Hangout the movies and popcorn popper. That programming takes people, and labor is a large part of Cost of Goods Sold (dragging out my Cost Accounting from 30+ years ago). Just because they're not using actual materials like metal and wood and fabric to make a sofa doesn't mean it's free.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    @stilljustme2 I only use the game to build or make pretty sims, the live mode just doesn't keep me engaged enough to play it which is why I didn't include any of the gameplay mechanics. But I do think its interesting to see where the trade-offs might have been like in seasons, for example, they sacrificed items to give us the calendar and the ability to create our own holidays.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    I'm a builder too and don't care much for gameplay but it's a bit unfair to say they sacrificed items to add functionality to the game. People who actually play would say they sacrificed functionality to give us more items in some packs :tongue:
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Sure its a two sided coin and I'm presenting it from my side of the coin someone who play in live mode is welcome to bring their side of the coin, but I just find it interesting that the community as a whole tends to say that Seasons in the best expansion back (from builders to story tellers) and I just find it interesting that its got the least items out of any expansion pack but still has such great replay value and is so loved by the community.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Seasons adds weather which affects every player and adds functionality which is pretty much forced on us all - builders, live mode players, Sim makers. No other pack does that, you can choose which aspects you want to incorporate into your builds/Sims/gameplay. I'm with you in that I look at objects too rather than functionality, it would be interesting if someone did the equivalent comparison but for additional gameplay, interactions, functionality.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    I'm really hoping someone does, I'm not skilled/smart enough to figure out how to do it on my own.
  • Options
    tadeoalonso2tadeoalonso2 Posts: 35 Member
    In the sims 1 and 2 we would get 100 new build/buy items but at least 20 had new gameplay interactions, now we get 400 but 395 of those are just wall decals, chairs and plants
  • Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    The price we pay for an EP, GP or SP is not only for the objects. We're also paying for their other expenses associated with running a business, such as rent, insurance, furniture, computers, software licenses, marketing, etc.

Also, some items take more time for them to create than others so you can't just take the price and divide by the number of objects. For base game objects, they can just remesh, retexture and reuse the same interactions/animations, but new interactive objects require new programming and animations that take a big chunk of the pack's budget.

You also need to consider that not all new game play such as running a business in GTW, setting restaurant menus in DO, and creating holidays in SN are objects. These systems take time to program and take up a part of the pack's budget.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    City Living has 3 careers I though...?
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Interesting.

On this scale, Island Living, the second highest rated EP on the CPI (cost per item) index, clocks in between Spa Day and Parenthood - the two Game Packs I have so far, and a good deal less expensive than Perfect Patio, which was my first and so far only Stuff Pack, gifted to me.

I consider all of those money well spent, so on the basis of this scale, Island Living looks like a very good deal at its retail price. I was already leaning toward this as my first EP, and this is encouraging. Yes, I am reading all about the perceived shortcomings and bugs, as well. Even so.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Interesting.

On this scale, Island Living, the second highest rated EP on the CPI (cost per item) index, clocks in between Spa Day and Parenthood - the two Game Packs I have so far, and a good deal less expensive than Perfect Patio, which was my first and so far only Stuff Pack, gifted to me.

I consider all of those money well spent, so on the basis of this scale, Island Living looks like a very good deal at its retail price. I was already leaning toward this as my first EP, and this is encouraging. Yes, I am reading all about the perceived shortcomings and bugs, as well. Even so.

I don't think the Island Living pack is a good deal just based off this simple calculation. If anything, the charts just confirms that the pack didn't have as much content as most of the others but it's still being sold at the EP price. One would have to add a weighted value multiplier for each item based on added gameplay and features/interactions to give a better idea of each item's value.

For example, there are 4 careers listed - I only remember three (what's the fourth?), but the diving and lifeguard careers are rabbitholes, while the conservationist career is active. I would give a higher weighted value multiplier to the active career over the rabbit hole careers.

I think it's better to read a lot of player feedback, what they like and didn't like, what has been added different from previous iterations, what has been omitted, as well as trying it out on trial or from a friend before considering buying the pack.

I'm glad I didn't pre-order it. When all the news came out about what they omitted and that it was suppose to be GP but packaged it as an EP with the EP price (GREEDY!), the new content or features weren't enough for me to want to buy it.
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    Techbilt wrote: »
    this doesn't include any gameplay mechanics

All items in CAS are weighed the same, interactive items are weighed the same as decorative items.
    These two things are a major factor, though. Gameplay mechanics are the major selling points, for one thing.
    And interactive/uninteractive items make a major difference. Look at Cats&Dogs, there are tons of pawprint decals and similar clutter that is completely passive but pushes the number of items up a lot. I can imagine GTW and Get Famous have a lot of decorations as well. Seasons have lower item count but the weather is likely one of the most complex mechanics. Parenthood has a lot of mechanics in the character values and the events related to it. Etc.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    And half of them are useless because their stats suck.