Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge

Comments

• katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited July 2019
    @LauraAnneB I don't have a Tumblr account, so sadly, I couldn't comment directly on your piece, but I thought it had a lot of fun moments. I especially liked the line, "I’m not my ancestors...If you want to marry them, I’m sure there’s a totem for that!"

I keep forgetting skeletons are a thing in Sims 4. And now that I've officially read all the entires, I'm going to go vote.

Edit: And...done!

Oh, and thank you for your kind comment, @Dollyllama108! The cats in the story are actually pre-mades and have a kitten together, though they're not in the same household. My June entry is what happens when I wander the Sims wiki too much. ^_^
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    Drafting the story I'm entering into the contest now, I think the hardest part for me will be some of the screenshots. Thank you @lisabee2 for responding to my PM :)
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • LauraAnneBLauraAnneB Posts: 15 Member
    Wow, everyone, thank you so much for your kind comments on my short story! Kinda wish I hadn't gone so hard on the magic angle now that I know July's theme! Maybe Deonte and Augustin need a sequel. Hmm.... I hope I'll be able to come up with something by the end of July.

@lisabee2 How does voting work? If I submitted a story, am I allowed to vote?
    edited July 2019
    @lisabee2 Just thought of something. Is there a recommended size for the screenshots?
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    NyteRose wrote: »
    @lisabee2 Just thought of something. Is there a recommended size for the screenshots?

I personally think 800 - 1000 pixels is big enough .. too much bigger and those who read on their phones cannot load them. In the into and info blog there is a link to a wonderful resizer ..
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    LauraAnneB wrote: »
    Wow, everyone, thank you so much for your kind comments on my short story! Kinda wish I hadn't gone so hard on the magic angle now that I know July's theme! Maybe Deonte and Augustin need a sequel. Hmm.... I hope I'll be able to come up with something by the end of July.

@lisabee2 How does voting work? If I submitted a story, am I allowed to vote?

you vote for 3 in veterans and 2 in novice .. usually, it is 3 in each area but this time we had too few novice subs
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • MinraedMinraed Posts: 1,159 Member
    Ug. I have been pretty absent, but I am here in time for reading and voting for June's stories. So far I have read the novice ones. I like to read those first. Three wonderfully different takes on the theme. Bravo! I really do enjoy seeing how different everyone's interpretations are. Now.. on to tackle the Veterans.
    [img][/img] Visit Simaginarium
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    lisabee2 wrote: »

I personally think 800 - 1000 pixels is big enough .. too much bigger and those who read on their phones cannot load them. In the into and info blog there is a link to a wonderful resizer ..

Also if you post on WordPress, you can set how big your pictures are displayed. I do 600px or 640px depending on the blog, I think it looks the best on all devices and blog themes.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    InfraGreen wrote: »

Also if you post on WordPress, you can set how big your pictures are displayed. I do 600px or 640px depending on the blog, I think it looks the best on all devices and blog themes.

My blog is on WP, I think I will go with the 600px size. But I had an oopsie with a couple of the screens and forgot to remove the plumb-bob before I shot them. Can I still use them or would it be better if I reshot the pictures? (got a really good shot I don't want to waste and my photo edit skills aren't that good so not to sure how to edit the plumb-bob/group icons out without reshooting...)
  • lillibattenberglillibattenberg Posts: 1,279 Member

My blog is on WP, I think I will go with the 600px size. But I had an oopsie with a couple of the screens and forgot to remove the plumb-bob before I shot them. Can I still use them or would it be better if I reshot the pictures? (got a really good shot I don't want to waste and my photo edit skills aren't that good so not to sure how to edit the plumb-bob/group icons out without reshooting...)

I don't know what universe your story's set in, but I'm really inconsistent with plumbobs. So I'd say you can keep them in, but be aware that is sets your story firmly in the Sims universe (which, admittedly, mine reeeeeeally is).
    Jacob_Banner.png
    edited July 2019

I don't know what universe your story's set in, but I'm really inconsistent with plumbobs. So I'd say you can keep them in, but be aware that is sets your story firmly in the Sims universe (which, admittedly, mine reeeeeeally is).

My story is set in the Sims universe and takes place in Sulani. :smile:
    Also, this is the first short story I've written in years so trying to make it perfect...
  • divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    As always, everyone had great entries this month! I REALLY struggled to vote this time, especially with the Veterans. Sometimes I wish we could announce everyone winners and call it a day, but it never works that way. It's also a lot more fun and exciting this way! Good luck to everyone!
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
    edited July 2019
    Inserting the pictures into my WP is really frustrating. I have huge gaps between the pics and text and no matter how hard I try or what I do, I can't get rid of the gaps/ make the post look better while I polish it up...
    I'm using media uploaded to WP and the desktop app if that helps.
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    @NyteRose I find I have my best luck using WP admin. Have you tried that yet? I hope you can get it to work!
    snvAF3B.png
    edited July 2019
    @NyteRose I find I have my best luck using WP admin. Have you tried that yet? I hope you can get it to work!

I'm the only one who uses/runs my blog, how do I use WP admin? Don't know all the ins and outs of WP sorry lol
    EDIT- Think I figured it out. Wish me luck!
    EDIT 2- It's not working... :/
    Inserting uploaded media doesn't work, uploaded from computer doesn't work and wp-admin I can't figure out. I'm still getting large gaps between pictures and text even with new, blank posts. I'm ready to give up :(

I have gone both ways .. kept the plumbob and cropped very closely or reshoot .. but TBH I do not see a problem with the plumbob being there
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • MinraedMinraed Posts: 1,159 Member
    yay! I made it in time to read them all and vote before the deadline. Thank you everyone for sharing these. I really love the variety of tales, perspectives and styles each month. Keep on scribbling! (I hope to join again next month)
    [img][/img] Visit Simaginarium
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    I’m sorry it didn’t work @NyteRose :( I wish I had better advice to offer!
    snvAF3B.png
    I have found the issue- it was the resizing itself. If I resize the pictures with a Paint program, the images/text gaps disappear and everything aligns correctly. YAY! I just have to re-resize my screencaps :):D
  • TheAemaSimmingTheAemaSimming Posts: 2,684 Member
    The voting struggle is REAL... I feel like the stories get better and better each month. And all the entries were so unique and so.... INSPIRING! So hard to pick favorites. To everyone who entered, thank you! The stories gave me something to do while I overexert and craft myself into a coma (My son turned 5 on Tuesday and we're having a Monster Jam birthday party on Sunday and I, as is typically, am making most of the decorations myself... in the middle of the night... with no one to blame but myself). Now that voting is done... I'm going to finish cutting these tiny trophy labels and get some sleep. G'night all!
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited July 2019
    @lisabee2 Here's my story for July, Clover's Sight:

http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2019/07/05/clovers-sight/

It's 795 words and uses 9 pictures. (I keep thinking I won't use as many pictures as the max, and then every month, I either hit the max or come really close.)

I hope author's notes aren't included in the final word count, because I've got some adjustments to make if they are. ^_^;;

Very excited to read the other July entries as they come in. Fantasy is one of my favorite genres.

@TheAemaSimming That sounds exhausting! Good luck!
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • TheAemaSimmingTheAemaSimming Posts: 2,684 Member
    @katrinasforest It is...and yet every party I do I end up doing this to myself. I love all the details though and it will be wonderful!! And my little Wiseman is worth it.
  • chluke75chluke75 Posts: 110 Member
    Once again, voting has been a near impossible task. Great stories everyone! I look forward to a magical July
  • SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Voted! And, oh gosh, it was hard. There were some great stories for June and I loved them all. And so many different takes on the theme, I really enjoyed them. Good luck to everyone! :)