We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
February 23rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Are Your Thoughts on Boarding School?

Hey,
So very random post but I was wondering what you guys think of the boarding schools in generations? Do you guys use them? I used to use them all the time because I got sick of raising kids, but now I don't because I wanted the teens to go to prom and make sure they learnt the right skills. I was just curious what people thought were the pros and cons of them.

Comments

• thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,742 Member
    I use the boarding school option with imaginary friends that may become real. Last time I did it was in 2015 (I don't play with imaginary friends very often). In general, I enjoy raising the kids myself.
  • bobv2bobv2 Posts: 95 Member
    I try to never use imaginary friends, I don't know why exactly but I don't like that feature.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I used to use the boarding schools, when I had a parent with the surrounded by family lifetime wish. I play on low free will, and it was the only way I could handle a large family. But nowadays, I prefer to keep the children and teens home. I've found other ways of dealing with larger families, even on low free will, so I don't feel a need for boarding schools anymore. That extra boost they gave to the careers once they aged up to young adult was nice, though, and I kind of miss that, at least if I'm going to continue playing any of the next generation once they grow up.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,578 Member
    Hi :)
    I haven't used it yet. I'll be adding it to my "to do" list. :cookie:
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,695 Member
    I love raising kids so wouldn't even consider sending them to boarding school. I mostly leave my sims to free will but I do control kids and teens more than adults because I want to prepare them for adulthood with skills and relationships that I have control over.
  • blueamberblueamber Posts: 32 Member
    I've only used it once on a rebel sim and sent him to military school, I thought it was funny aha
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    edited July 2019
    I love raising kids but I also love the boarding school option. I use them alternately depending on the story and sims. I usually play a long age span so the same sim can have the opportunity to experience both prom, afterschool activities etc., but also to be in a boarding school for a while. Some of my sims called from the boarding school to their parents and said they don't have fun (can't remember the exact phrasing of the game) anyway the game prompted an option to send them back home. In addition, to emphasize how the boarding school can come in parallel to raising kids, sometimes when the house has toddler(s) that require a lot of caring and attention, it's easier to send the kids to a boarding school for a while. (But if there is a teen in a household with toddlers, I usually don't send him/her to a boarding school because my sims need the extra help with the babies. )
  • SaintcSaintc Posts: 12 New Member
    I’ve never used the option before. I guess I’m too attached and don’t feel like I’d like the Sims very much if they developed traits or skills I didn’t plan.
  • becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    I sometimes use them for my spares when I'm playing my legacy. I dislike having too many sims in a household because I don't give them much free will.
  • KNORearKNORear Posts: 522 Member
    In something like a Perfect Genetics Challenge where lots of kids are required I send spares to boarding school. Otherwise I usually just raise them to build the skills I want, build familial relationships etc.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    I tried it once.
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    I haven’t used the feature in years (2012, I think). TBH, I tend to forget it’s an option.

I like the idea of boarding schools with overstuffed households, but I still prefer to raise the kids myself and focus on the skills and relationships I want them to have. However, if I ever end up with another couple that has several multiple births in a row plus imaginary friends, I might utilize boarding schools again.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Once and once only. Then I spent all my time wondering what the little treasure was up to instead of concentrating on the adult sims left in game. I am too much of a control freak :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I do not send my kids to school or boarding school, I delete all schools in every world I play in, I like doing things with my kids. It seems sending them to school takes up all their time. school, homework and to bed. I would rather them do things, fish, swim, paint, read, play with other sims, or Imaginary Friend. I just like having fun with them.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,873 Member
    I tried the in game boarding school a few times when it first came out. I found it buggy and stopped using it. I prefer to play with my own boarding school where I set up a big house with nannies and 'borrow' toddlers, children and teens from other households, including townies, and teach them skills appropriate to their ages before sending them home to their parents.
    Evalen wrote: »
    I do not send my kids to school or boarding school, I delete all schools in every world I play in, I like doing things with my kids. It seems sending them to school takes up all their time. school, homework and to bed. I would rather them do things, fish, swim, paint, read, play with other sims, or Imaginary Friend. I just like having fun with them.

This is why I always refuse to let my teens to have part time jobs. If I activate a household and find teens in it have part time jobs I make them quit.
    Karritz wrote: »

This is why I always refuse to let my teens to have part time jobs. If I activate a household and find teens in it have part time jobs I make them quit.

@Karritz I agree with the part time job thing.
    Your dog picture looks like my dog that pasted away last year, she was 16 yrs old. I think of her when I see you post.

edited July 2019
    Karritz wrote: »

@Karritz I agree with the part time job thing.
    Your dog picture looks like my dog that pasted away last year, she was 16 yrs old. I think of her when I see you post.

Thank you. I'm sorry for your loss.

The picture is of Mickey. He is about 12 or 13. He and his little friend, Mia, lived with me for just over 4 years before they recently went back to their owner, my son. I'll be visiting them next week or else they'd be home alone for two weeks and that wouldn't make them happy little dogs. Mickey is about 7 kg and is a cross between a Shih Tzu and Minature Poodle. Mickey has his own medical problems now and needs meds every day but he is very well, active and happy while he takes them.
    @Karritz, Very cute, I will be taking care of my daughters German Sheppard for a week, I love that dog and we have fun playing and all. Somehow they just get in your heart, I love dogs and cats. I now have a cat, I adopted her. she is so amazing for a cat, is not independent like some, she never puts her claws out to me, She even likes getting her belly rubbed. She is always at the door when I return. she was in the house with her owner for 5 days alone when her owner died. I got her at a shelter, her own died and my dog died, I believe God put us together, she is so loving. I have had many cats, but she is so different. wants to be around you all the time.
    @Evalen I hope you have lots of fun with your daughter's dog. Cats are all individuals. Each one is different. I've had them all my life. My current cat was born blind. I got him and his sister from my front door when I came home from grocery shopping one Saturday morning. They were about 4 weeks old at the time. I have no idea who dumped them there. His sister died a couple of years ago. She was very loving and tiny but didn't like the little dogs so mostly lived outdoors while they were here. Unfortunately she didn't live long enough to see them leave. The blind one is still here. I have to be careful he doesn't dig his claws into me as he can't jump up onto things, he climbs. He's almost 17 yrs now.
    edited July 2019
    @Karritz wow that is some story. One of my cats had a blind baby too. A lady took her and later found out she was blind, I was so glad she kept her. Glad you kept yours too. they give unconditional love.
    @bobv2 Sorry about derailing you post, guess we should get back to the original post.
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    edited July 2019
    Never tried it, I´m usually too attached to the kids. But it´s on my "have to try that" list.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I'll be adding on to each of my towns that's playable once a town gets large enough to need it and poor families can have children live there as they'll be free schools.I can add a school rabbit hole rug to a library though any children or kids will have to get enrolled manually since awesomemod's got automanted school assignments disabled.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I've never used the boarding school. I like my overstuffed households and making sure the kids learn the skills they need to survive in the sims world. :smiley:
  • lemonade578lemonade578 Posts: 75 Member
    I think they are good ideas!
    cUfiTAd.png