We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
February 23rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's been a bad winter

I think my high school student has missed his first 4 days of school due to snow. He hasn't had a chance to get form a C student which is where they unfairly start them to an A student.

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,578 Member
    Aw, snow. I always miss it in the heat of Summer.

That's a lot of time off. Are they having fun? :)
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,873 Member
    Just think of all the skills they could be learning at home when they can't go to school.
  • blueamberblueamber Posts: 32 Member
    i wish this would happen in real life aha
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    edited July 2019
    Karritz wrote: »
    Just think of all the skills they could be learning at home when they can't go to school.

Actually, this is exactly what is happening. My child heir had rolled the LTW that requires mastering painting and writing. So she's been alternating between practicing painting and writing books. She's actually on her second book already and she's not even in high school yet! Her brother has been more interested in checking out the town girls. He had one I thought might be "the one" but then this other girl seemed to be interested. He went to the prom alone but apparently while there, him and the second girl must had sparked their romance as I got a notice about that while he was there. So for the next two snow days, he invited her over and they are now going steady.

So definitely not wasted time. Just crazy that they've missed nearly a full Sim week of school. I don't use mods so I'll let it go where it wants to go. Last play time, spring had arrived and it rained. So in theory the next time I play, they will finally get to school and turn in that homework!
    Post edited by Rhiannon58 on
  • bobv2bobv2 Posts: 95 Member
    Yeah I had that happen to me too. It was kinda fun but I kept thinking if they don't go to school soon they will run out of time and age up before they can get a good grade. I was also running a family with like 3 kids so it made it easier to look after the toddler have the teen home. I use quite a few mod and think they add a lot to the game, but I love the weather and the fact it can so random which I think adds to the game, which is why, like yourself, I don't use tempest.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I actually use NRaas Tempest to make the winter weather worse in some of my worlds, then to control things into a short warm dry vs. a long hot rainy season (just those two) in tropical worlds.

For those who are interested, the presence of the StoryProgression Career add-on module puts a stop to Snow Days entirely. Not the weather patterns, I mean the time off school granted for them. Instead, we get the option of setting up summer vacation schedules if we wish. None of us are quite sure why Twallan, our founder, did that with SP Career but we think he must have been working on revamping the coding behind Snow Days, never got around to finishing it, and it's been left that way for us to take a closer look at some time in the future.

In the meantime, my sims in colder climates have to go to school even if there's a blinding blizzard and over three feet of snow already on the ground. Just like where I grew up, the whole setup makes me homesick (a little bit). :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,487 Member
    Well, that explains why I've never seen the kids get off of school for a snow day.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 545 Member
    My Sims only went to school about three days their last winter!! Everyday was a snow day and I have the seasons set on one of the longer lengths! They had a lot of time to improve their skills XD
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    Well, that explains why I've never seen the kids get off of school for a snow day.

Yeah, for me too. I got NRaas SP before I got Seasons. I always wondered why I never got snow days, no matter how hard the snow was coming down, when other players were getting them.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,076 Member
    I also use tempest to control weather, for me I come from a place where it gets really really cold.So in my game I have it get to -10 some nights XD and in the summer 105 LOL.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've had my sims surviving a hard winter in my apocalypse challenge in 1525 and they got snow all winter with the roads closed for vehicles and work shifts cancelled by MC for the entire season.It's almost late spring there and they've not had any rain since shortly after winter ended and Deery Meadows is in the middle of a multi-year drought starting in the spring of 1622 and it's already the summer of 1624 and their last winter was mostly warm dry sunny weather with only a few light showers.They've had no snow and little rain for the last few years in town.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,742 Member
    I often plan babies to avoid the child state taking place during winter.

The chances of several snow days ruining their childhood and an A grade at school are tremendous. All of that if I play in normal lifespan, otherwise they work extra hard in the fall to avoid problems during winter.