We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
February 23rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 University Glitch!

Hello,
So my game has that glitch where your sims goes to graduation in university and the ceremony end part way through, everyone is kicked out and no one get the physical diploma or the extra trait slot. And you can go back in and finish the ceremony. I have checked other pages to try fix it. But once this glitch happens the only things that's worked has been uninstalling all of the sims games and reinstalling, things like getting to the annex early, being right beside the door etc don't help. Uninstalling and reinstalling just sims 3 university doesn't work. I had the game over a year before it started happening to me. But since then I can only put one sim through university and have them graduate as they should before the glitch happens. I know I sound dramatic but its kinda ruining things for me. I don't want to have to uninstall all games every time just to get university to work. I have created my own neighborhood and don't want to loose it, my sims, the stories or everything else I have done.

Please has anyone found a now fix or can suggest something that might help me out with this plight? I like the extra taint slot and the parties etc at university so I tend to send sims to University a lot (Well I did before the glitch and want to again) but seriously only being able to do it once before the game bugs out is so frustrating and kinda zaps some of the enjoyment out of things when you get to graduation and it wont work.

Please note I am not tech savvy either so if you have a fix for me please have clear instructions for me to follow.

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Those Uni graduation glitches are very annoying. If not averse to using mods, NRaas DebugEnabler has a command that will grant a sim a degree in the major and with the GPA specified. I usually have my sims skip the graduation ceremony (unless I am strictly after photo opps) and run the DebugEnabler command on them once they get back home to give them the degree that I know they just earned. The sims get all of the same benefits, including the extra traits, they would have gotten the ceremony way. They even spin to their graduation robes for a few moments when the command is run.

There is generally no reason to uninstall and reinstall the game and EP/SPs unless one is recovering from hard drive failure or is changing the drive on which the game is installed. The installation concerns the Program Files, but those do not change over time or with usage unless a patch comes out and we're pretty sure we are done with those. What can impact things is the TS3 user game folder in Documents, as this is where one's saved games and all of the added content are.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • bobv2bobv2 Posts: 95 Member
    I am not opposed to using mods, I use several nraas mods in my game already so I will check it out. What I have been doing is making them go to uni doing the work but dropping out before they get their report card, then back in town using the lifetime wish honorary degree to get them the degree. I found if I waited to see if graduation would work they earnt their degree, so when back in town I would have to give them a different degree to what they studied to use the ltw. The mod sounds so much easier to be honest, which might make things actually fun again, instead of having to use testingcheats just to get enough point to purchase the wish anyway.

So I am not at all savvy with tech so all I know if once the glitch happens, uninstalling everything and reinstalling does fix it for a time. Since it first appeared the fix is only temporary and get shorter. So yeah I am totally stumped as to why is happens like this, i tried researching but to no avail.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,873 Member
    Uninstalling the game is not going to help. It is your user data that becomes corrupt. That is found in the Electronic Arts\Sims 3 folder in the Documents folder.
    Well I am telling you that it has, every time I do this the game works fine at least for a while. I check my game using delpys dashboard, no corrupt files show up, obviously there are some, because if I uninstall then reinstall all games university works.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,695 Member
    @bobv2 I think what Karritz was trying to say is that it is not necessary to uninstall your game. By renaming your "The Sims 3" folder and letting the game generate a new one should do the trick. You can then move your saves etc. into the new folder.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Delphy's Dashboard is for checking package file content, that which is to be found in Mods\Packages within the TS3 user game folder in Documents. It wouldn't know what to do with the game's program or any other kinds of package files.

What we are trying to say is that reinstalling the game replaces the program files you already had in place with the exact same program files. There is possibly some unexpected side-effect/benefit you are getting temporarily by going through that process if you are leaving your game saves and the user game folder intact or putting them back in after the reinstall, I mean logically there has to be a reason why it works better one time after doing so. But the reinstall itself is not changing how well or poorly the graduation scenario runs.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited July 2019
    Ok so did you all miss the part about not being tech savvy lol? I respect you're trying to help but other than the mod suggested it's not really making sense. Renaming files and moving saves, you say that but I feel there is more to it that those two steps. I use mods, I have store bought content, items from the exchange, I'm not going to loose those and have to go and download it all again, its taken days just to find it all after that last time I lost it all.

Edit: Not trying to sound ungrateful or rude, I really do want to sort this out. I just am sick at the moment and not very good with words.
    Post edited by bobv2 on
  • blueamberblueamber Posts: 32 Member
    There are soooo many issues with University unfortunately. When you say 'kicked out' I'm assuming you mean out of the City Hall lot? What happens then? Do your sims eventually try to travel back to their home town? Or does the option never come up?

Someone really helped me on the EA answers website. Unfortunately I can't post links (which is so annoying but anyway) but if you go to the EA answers website and then type in 'Can't travel back from University' into the search bar it should come up.
    I know it's not the same problem but they had some good advice relating to university.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited July 2019
    @bobv2 I think since this keeps happening to you so frequently, the best option to try would be to use DeBugEnabler as igazor said and you seem comfortable with. If you're still having problems or some new problem crops up (and since this is the Sims 3, I'm sure something will eventually), then what everyone is saying is *don't* uninstall and reinstall your games. The method of renaming your Sims 3 documents folder and allowing the game to create a new one, really IS relatively simple and will save you having to find and reinstall things all over again. You just have to move some of the files from the old folder to the new one that is generated. You can always come here and ask for some more help with that if/when the time comes and not worry about it right now.

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    I'm too tired right now to go into depth with this but, if it isn't the bug that came with University Life, then there must be at least one file in the user data folder that is giving you problems. The problem is identifying it. Or, else it is just a bug that came with the expansion pack. Reinstalling the game won't fix the problem.
    Thank you for the help guys. When someone does have the time/patience could they write down the steps for recreating the game file and what files I would need to move back etc, just so if I need it, the instructions are handy. I will just use to mod suggested in the meantime when it bugs out again.
    This information might help you to understand what is in the Sims 3 folder we are all talking about.

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_User_Folders_Explained

I have already written out all the info you need on making a new sims 3 folder countless times but I can't find it now. I'll make a video about it instead so I can find it in future. That might take me a couple of days. I'm too tired to even think about it now having had very little sleep for the past few days and it is already past 8 pm at my place now.
    Thank you for your help. I am in no rush for the instructions, I havn't sent my sims to university yet so I have no idea if it has glitched out or not. I appreciate the fact you're willing to help at all so I certainly don't expect you do it until you feel like it/up to it.
    Just to let you know ... I've started the video but l won't get it finished for a few weeks as I've got to go away for a cojple of weeks and won't have access to my computer while away.