Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims future competitor?

Comments

• Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,898 Member
    edited July 2019
    *inb4 thread gets locked because it talks about a possible threat to EA's business*

This game looks promising. I'm interested.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    I'm betting this won't be a single player game.
  • ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    I'm betting this won't be a single player game.

What makes you say that?
    There's absolutely no clue of that anywhere. :|
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • JPsimmerJPsimmer Posts: 109 Member
    edited July 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    But who says this guy will continue doing it all on his own?

He has said he is currently looking at putting a team together. Assuming he can get the Patreon funding.

• WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    Honestly, I think it looks pretty good already being from only one guy. I'd buy it.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'll give it a go depending on price. I'll still be playing my sims game but I play other games too. Once it hits the market I'll be sure to look into it.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,898 Member
    edited July 2019
    Uh people wondering how one guy can create a game?

Uh, Stardew Valley was created by just one guy, a dude by the name of Eric Barone. He did the programming, music and graphics all on his own. It took 4 years, but he got it done. And Stardew Valley has a better reception than most of the newer Harvest Moon games, a game it's based off of and some even call a competitor to that game. Stardew Valley offers a lot of features that Harvest Moon series lacks, including same gender marriage. So yes, it's absolutely possible for one person to design a game all on their own and that game turning out successful.

Now I don't know if that same logic will apply to Sims though since it will take a lot more programming and whatever computer stuff needed do to create a game like Sims so I don't even know what I'm saying anymore except it's entirely possible for one person to completely design a game on their own.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    edited July 2019
    To7m wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I don't really feel like id jump over tbh even if the features were better
    mostly because I just could not connect with it the same way I connect with sims

this has nothing to do with how fabulous the features of the game be but it wouldn't feel genuine to me really
    just more like empty shell of fancy features combined with sims features
    (which obviously is just my subjective opinion/feeling)

now do I think sims probably needs to pick up their slack since quite some time? sure.

so i suppose competition wouldn't be too bad in that sense

Its more like the issue of being too similar to sims but still not being sims
    like there needs to be something to completely set it aside from sims to get my interest

That’s because you only know The Sims.

Completion would do this franchise the world of good, or end it. I’m SO good with either. EA lost my loyalty with TS4, so any new life simulation games are welcomed by me.

—T

No I'd rather say that is just the type of person I am

I can't connect to new things no matter how cool they are
    after year or two I will always without a fail get bored with them
    (and this isn't only with games)

With The Sims I have been playing it since I was small kiddo
    so I actually have deep emotional connection to it
    which is why I am still playing it and interested in it
    even if sometimes things disappoint me

in general I feel this game would have more chance to be liked by me
    if it was completely different than sims rather than being so similar
    because in that case my brain would not immediately compare it
    and id actually just look at it as life simulator rather than copy of existing game
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    edited July 2019
    ElenPink wrote: »
    To7m wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I don't really feel like id jump over tbh even if the features were better
    mostly because I just could not connect with it the same way I connect with sims

this has nothing to do with how fabulous the features of the game be but it wouldn't feel genuine to me really
    just more like empty shell of fancy features combined with sims features
    (which obviously is just my subjective opinion/feeling)

now do I think sims probably needs to pick up their slack since quite some time? sure.

so i suppose competition wouldn't be too bad in that sense

Its more like the issue of being too similar to sims but still not being sims
    like there needs to be something to completely set it aside from sims to get my interest

That’s because you only know The Sims.

Completion would do this franchise the world of good, or end it. I’m SO good with either. EA lost my loyalty with TS4, so any new life simulation games are welcomed by me.

—T

And @Simmingal its funny that you haven't even played the potential game and you're already limiting yourself by thinking you won't connect the same way you do with the Sims. Yet every reiteration of the Sims have been different, with TS4 being the most different of all, and definitely an "empty shell."

As I clearly stated earlier its very subjective opinion
    and for me ts4 is not empty shell as its giving me loads
    it is also not different in things that I like about the series
    which makes it still, easy to connect with for me

but obviously your opinion is yours and mine is mine

also I am not really ''limiting myself''
    I just know myself well enough to say that of myself

obviously everyone is different and yall might have lots of fun with this game
    but I just don't personally feel this is going to end up being competition to sims
    at least for me it will not feel that way
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • bsasinbsasin Posts: 33 Member
    Banished is a game I’ve enjoyed quite a bit, and that was designed by just one person. It’s fairly complex as a game, and I actually played it more when it came out than when sims 4 base game came out (same year). Banished cost me $8 full price. Especially if this new developer gets some backing, I wouldn’t be surprised if something good comes of this.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Definitely keeping my eyes on this one. Looks promising.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    I don't believe until its released... I have been playing Sims since the first one, and every single year someone comes out saying they are developing a life simulator, but its always "fake news" from really skilled trolls, or the devs give up the project.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Akl500P wrote: »
    For me it would just mean I get more of these types of games to play. As a 20 year fan I don’t plan on leaving sims if something new comes around. I’d just play both. I’m happy with sims 4 and I like the direction it’s going and I’d happily try a similar game. This looks cool and I’d be excited to play something new.

My thoughts as well. I'd just end up playing both if the other game was just as good.

@trulyoutrageous i have been playing sims 1/2/3/4 simultaneously my whole life, that wouldn't be different with a new one...
  • Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    @ElenPink wrote: »
    It's beyond laughable to think that one person can just make a Sims competitor on their own.

Hmm, if you checked out his Patreon he is raising the money so that he can contact other people to help with the game. Here, let me make things easier for you and copy/paste what he wrote:

"The money will allow me to keep working on it and also reach out to other developers for music, sound effects, etc."

:)

I did see it and music/sound effects are the last thing they need to worry about.

Even a indie studio of 10+ developers working full time (which would mean like $50,000+ per month budget wise) would struggle extremely hard to make something even comparable to the 2014 version of TS4 base game.

You have to be incredibly naive to think that one person can make a Sims competitor. TS4 literally made EA over $1 billion in revenue. Every indie developer would flock to making a Sims competitor if that's something they can do on their own.

$1 billion? From The Sims 4 alone? Do you have a source for that? I’m legitimately curious given how tight EA is with their numbers.

Personally, I find it very hard to believe. $100 million in revenue? Yes. Maybe even $500 million. But $1 billion? That’s FIFA money, not TS4 money 😆
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Barbie430 wrote: »
    It's beyond laughable to think that one person can just make a Sims competitor on their own.

Hmm, if you checked out his Patreon he is raising the money so that he can contact other people to help with the game. Here, let me make things easier for you and copy/paste what he wrote:

"The money will allow me to keep working on it and also reach out to other developers for music, sound effects, etc."

I did see it and music/sound effects are the last thing they need to worry about.

Even a indie studio of 10+ developers working full time (which would mean like $50,000+ per month budget wise) would struggle extremely hard to make something even comparable to the 2014 version of TS4 base game.

You have to be incredibly naive to think that one person can make a Sims competitor. TS4 literally made EA over $1 billion in revenue. Every indie developer would flock to making a Sims competitor if that's something they can do on their own.

$1 billion? From The Sims 4 alone? Do you have a source for that? I’m legitimately curious given how tight EA is with their numbers.

Personally, I find it very hard to believe. $100 million in revenue? Yes. Maybe even $500 million. But $1 billion? That’s FIFA money, not TS4 money 😆

I know there was a thread in General Discussion that had the link. It was the earnings call to the investors from the CEO of EA, I think it was in December. If you do a search for it, you'll find it somewhere because there were a few sites that did short articles. But yes, it had reached over one billion.

Remember, Sims 4 is played internationally. It's sold in a lot of regions and with smart marketing online to younger generations, it catches on quickly and adds up. Most people who play the game don't come to the forums, so we're just a little island in the community over here. But marketing is everything these days and it would seem that EA doesn't spare any expense when it comes to that.

I often wonder how the previous games would have done if they'd had the same social media power that Sims 4 has.
    #Team Occult
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2019
    Uh people wondering how one guy can create a game?

Uh, Stardew Valley was created by just one guy, a dude by the name of Eric Barone. He did the programming, music and graphics all on his own. It took 4 years, but he got it done. And Stardew Valley has a better reception than most of the newer Harvest Moon games, a game it's based off of and some even call a competitor to that game. Stardew Valley offers a lot of features that Harvest Moon series lacks, including same gender marriage. So yes, it's absolutely possible for one person to design a game all on their own and that game turning out successful.

Now I don't know if that same logic will apply to Sims though since it will take a lot more programming and whatever computer stuff needed do to create a game like Sims so I don't even know what I'm saying anymore except it's entirely possible for one person to completely design a game on their own.

He might have someone helping already, because in one comment he answers 'We' intend to...' But you are correct many games have been built by no more than one person or two.

ETA: Yes, it's true (for anyone that didn't know) TS4 across all platforms has pulled in a billion at last conference call last year. But what many don't know is bulk buyers bought the base from the very beginning to sell it on Amazon and Ebay and sold those bases at reduced prices of less than half of a set $60 selling price. And I do mean bulk buyers/suppliers. (Those bulk buyers are included in those totals they get counted, too, without ever having to sell to an individual).
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    edited July 2019
    Oh btw, @catloverplayer to further prove your speculation wrong, since there was literally no proof of the game being multiplayer anywhere, I am on the discord channel and Alex Masse said that the game would only be singleplayer.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

Here's your proof.

https://simsvip.com/2019/02/05/ea-earnings-q3-fy19-the-sims-crosses-1-billion-in-lifetime-revenue/

I still say it's too early to call this an actual competitor for TS4. I don't like the graphics style already.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    It needs to happen. Products get better when there is competition.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    Akl500P wrote: »
    For me it would just mean I get more of these types of games to play. As a 20 year fan I don’t plan on leaving sims if something new comes around. I’d just play both. I’m happy with sims 4 and I like the direction it’s going and I’d happily try a similar game. This looks cool and I’d be excited to play something new.

I feel like it's good the sims have competition.I like life simulator games.I won't abandon the series, but I be glad to have a new game as well.Most games that are similar to the sim series are farm games or basicalLy online games.
  • HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    The build tools .... it’s heaven 😭
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    I love the art style. Kind of similar to BoTw and that game is gorgeous.
  • simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    This is interesting. It seems that more people are dabbling in the simulation genre these days, which is a good thing. And this person seems to have done some great things on his own. I wonder if Paradox would take notice? Wasn't there some recent info about them considering a life simulation game in the future? I imagine if they took this guy in and funded him, there could be something bigger that comes out of it. It's worth keeping an eye on, in any case.

These animations kind of make me think of a Sims 1/Sims 4 hybrid.

2015 me and other simmers started a thread on Paradox forum begging them to make a sims game. When I googled "Paradox sims" I saw posts that Rod Humble will lead the development of a brand-new game at Paradox Tectonic. :o I have to keep calm and don't let my fantasy run wild :o
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member

Here's your proof.

https://simsvip.com/2019/02/05/ea-earnings-q3-fy19-the-sims-crosses-1-billion-in-lifetime-revenue/

I still say it's too early to call this an actual competitor for TS4. I don't like the graphics style already.

You think graphics is the most important thing for a competitor? Have you even seen minecraft and how many players it had?

• PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »

Here's your proof.

You think graphics is the most important thing for a competitor? Have you even seen minecraft and how many players it had?

Yeah, the graphics are terrible. If those are the graphics this "competitor" is working with, then I'm sticking with the Sims.