Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking Forward To the End Of TS4

Comments

• Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @Trashmagic I couldn't agree more. @nightowl1 Thank you but I'm just letting off steam of why I was so disappointed to see this GP sold at EP prices. And so buggy from the get go, and even some features not working according to those who are playing it. lol If that route continues yes, I would be happy to see this game end.

I agree with you 100 percent,Cinebar. It's time for EA to pull the plug on TS4,and give us TS5..I don't even get exicted for S4 packs anymore.I'm hoping TS4 will end later this year,and I'm hoping TS5 will give us features from TS1-TS3.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    If it wasn't for Mods and Custom content TS4 would have died long ago. Treating a Toddler like a house plant wasn't cool then throwing pools at us like it was the nobel peace prize. Still no spiral stairs.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Well said @ApparentlyAwesome. This is the biggest gripe I have with EA right now: The fact they built Sims4 on a sub-par game engine that hasn't allowed the devs to re-create any key features from the past iterations, while bringing new features into Sims4. And seeing all the new bugs and glitches that came with the update and pack, I get the sense everyone on the development teams is tired of struggling with a game engine that is severely limited in what it can do. Sims4 will turn five years old this September. Which is about how long Sims1,2 and 3 each lasted.

During Sims4's run, EA has managed to create a wider fan base by taking advanatge of different platforms with Sims4 on PlayStation and with Sims4 mobile. EA had been trying to break into these two markets since Sims3 was released. Those efforts were not entirely successsful. We made it loudly known we did not want Sims4 to be an online game when they announced that was their plan just after they announced Sims3 would be ending. But by that time they already had the game engine for Sims4. They hurriedly revamped that game engine when it became apparent a Sims4 online game was destined to fail, rather than taking the time and resources to build a new game engine better suited to the addition of new content via packs and updates. Personally, I think Sims4 has been used to create a wider, younger fan base for EA while giving EA the resources to explore the viability of taking Sims4 across several platforms. Over a billion dollars in sales seems to indicate EA was successful in that respect. But Sims4 on PC/Mac has not been met with much enthusiasm lately. Largely because we feel the recent packs have been lacking.

While there are portions of Island Living I do like, the pack as a whole feels unfinished. And if this latest pack is an indication of what we can expect in the future it will be the last Sims4 pack I purchase. I hate saying that. I truly do. It breaks my heart a little bit to think the teams can't do better than what we have seen so far. Given the comments I have seen since that pack was released I can't help but wonder what the mood must be like at the studios. The teams aren't creating content that adds to the game. We're tired of not seeing anything that is truly new. The fans are very unhappy. It's just a mess. But the gurus have been saying they are working on two years worth of new content. Can Sims4 really hold up under the weight of more packs? I have my doubts about that. When they made the big announcements about the next three packs at EA Play I almost fell off my chair. I wondered then if they would tell us Sims5 was in development. Of course it is but EA likes its secrets. But this sudden sharing of news could also have meant Sims4 is winding down. Just before Sims3 ended we had back to back packs being released. So when they did announce those three packs I thought it was possibile EA was close to saying something about a Sims5. If Sims4 has content left to be released that could also explain why Island Living feels unfinshed. They are rushing to get most of these new packs released before they announce Sims5 and ran out of time to do it right.

• knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    I'm not and here's why.

-They are not done yet, so much they can still add and improve on
    -The game needs to feel complete and make sure all bugs are fixed.

If they can't do that, what would be the point of Sims 5 or expect it to be any better? It would just be starting over and expecting low quality.

We got a few more years, which I am glad as it means a better game and game that is actually playable.

We don't need a new Sims every five years until there is a major technologically breakthrough. I would be happy if they just updated Sims 2, don't need a Sims 5.

Yes, but exactly how much time and cost to the consumers will it be, when we already have full, playable, immersible versions of the Sims (1,2 & somewhat 3) now.

Seriously - we had a full game with Sims 1 & 2 going back over 15+ years ago with a fraction of the cost and waiting.

Because they were actually built with the players in mind - not like now where they are like how can we get more money for less content that is stretched out over years.

Why is it they could get it right so long ago and now, they just can't seem to get it together and we have to keep paying more in the hopes that "maybe this particular pack" will make it the best version ever?

Just sounds like more leading the consumer by the nose and training them to expect less.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm not and here's why.

If they can't do that, what would be the point of Sims 5 or expect it to be any better? It would just be starting over and expecting low quality.

We got a few more years, which I am glad as it means a better game and game that is actually playable.

We don't need a new Sims every five years until there is a major technologically breakthrough. I would be happy if they just updated Sims 2, don't need a Sims 5.

Yes, but exactly how much time and cost to the consumers will it be, when we already have full, playable, immersible versions of the Sims (1,2 & somewhat 3) now.

Seriously - we had a full game with Sims 1 & 2 going back over 15+ years ago with a fraction of the cost and waiting.

Because they were actually built with the players in mind - not like now where they are like how can we get more money for less content that is stretched out over years.

Why is it they could get it right so long ago and now, they just can't seem to get it together and we have to keep paying more in the hopes that "maybe this particular pack" will make it the best version ever?

Just sounds like more leading the consumer by the nose and training them to expect less.

It might have been EA's plans to milk the franchise for years with their 'live service' businsess model. Or it could be this team just isn't up to the tasks of past teams, nor have the disclipine ( I don't mean the skill) to do it or don't, and or the imagination. And then there is this generation gap with some of them where toilet humor was more important to them than say, deep personalities. I don't know, I just know it has some fun 'moments' but not enough to make it last seven or eight years without the community starting to feel drained and tired.

ETA: Proof the commuity as a whole is getting tired. The last three or four packs were not the hits they should have been in the minds of the players. There is always, (responses of TS4) I like it, but....with each pack they are releasing this past year.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    I'm not and here's why.

And pay more for it!

raw
  • AlwaysTheSunAlwaysTheSun Posts: 388 Member
    Oh guys, I think it's time to realise that The Sims 5 is only going to be worse.
    I still hope that some other company will make life simulator and it will give EA a huge kick like it did with Cities Skylines. SimCity is dead and we've got ten times better game. Hope one day it will happen with The Sims ..

I must say, there are tons of things I love in The Sims 4. Family meals, dinner parties. It looks so nice and cute at some point.

ZQyh1rh.png

But as always, there's some disapointment. Only one sim can talk at a time. So we can't have 4 sims by the table and 2 having converstations between them. There's only one sim that can speak at a time.

List of my disapointments is just so long that it could take a page here.
    They've added family trees for whatever reason. Pointless cause sims just disapear from the tree. The game deletes them.
    And when sim die, it becomes a ghost that has a basically normal life. Can go clubbing or even call to invite you to go out.. Like seriously? Why doesn't it work like in The Sims 3 where dead sims were moved to cemetery building?

Emotions like you said, are also a joke. Sim doesn't care about his mother's death cause he's sitting on a comfy chair. Really?

Infants as objects?

And what hurts me the most, since The Sims 3. It is all just so simplified. No dirty diapers, no empty toddler bottles. Baa, toddlers in The Sims 4 can even grab a plate from the table. No from me
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I just want the next sims game to be less humor, like the cooking animation in the sims 4, talking toilet and some conversation animations to be less childish.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • AlwaysTheSunAlwaysTheSun Posts: 388 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    I just want the next sims game to be less humor, like the cooking animation in the sims 4, talking toilet and some conversation animations to be less childish.

Ooooh yeah! It like they've been making this game for 6 years old kids.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    izecson wrote: »

There's a difference between humor and childish gameplay. I agree that TS4 has the latter and hopefully the humor of TS5 resembles TS1/TS2's more.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    It's like the difference between humor and wit. TS4 has childish humor and a dearth of wit.
    Sucom wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    So I don't quite understand what is wrong with Island Living?

Read all the posts on the forum that complain about it including right in this thread. You can't avoid it, lol!
    I see nothing wrong with it and if I wanted Sims 4 to be a rehash of past games I wouldn't have bought it.

That is based on what you think about IL, other people have different ideas and opinions that differs from yours and that is okay.
    Ok but you need to realize this isn't Sims 2 or 3 and it doesn't need to measure up to either game.

It DOES have to measure up to Sims 2 and 3 because it's part of the series. They should have made TS4 it's own game. That way it wouldn't have to live up to the previous better iterations.

I agree. It DOES and SHOULD match up with Sims 2 and 3 because it's supposed to be a follow on from those games. Sims 4 is definitely NOT a follow on. Sms 4 changed the criteria right from the outset and right from the outset, in terms of being a follow on, it was lacking. Everyone who has played Sims 2 and 3 already knows that. It's not a belief, it's a fact. EA know it, long time players know it.

Sims 4 is ok as a stand alone game. It's .... ok. But that's it. If I look at it from the perspective of being an extended, better version of Sims 2 or Sims 3, then no, it's not ok. It's lacking.
    Its not lacking you just expect the game to be open world no loading screens. You expect everything they put out to be Sims 3 quality and to be honest Sims 3 wasn't that good. I have more fun playing Sims 4 then I did Sims 3. I had more issues and more game breaking immersive issues with Sims 3. It was so much fun to play and when you come back from vacation in that game to have your 4 generation families family tree all messed up beyond fixing. It was so much fun to have to use mods to fix the problems that game had. That game was a big buggy mess. Also when I do go back to Sims 3 there are things in Sims 4 that make Sims 3 boring now. I am a long time simmer of the franchise I started with The Sims.

Sims 3 has it's flaws, but at least when the Sims go diving - you can play those parts out. Sims 4, you just stare and wait until they pop back up.

It is only one world for these activities in Sims 4 - they couldn't even put in actual diving interactions?

And that's after years and years of making these games?

Aren't coding/programming/developing games more efficient nowadays, so that this series should be offering even more options and interactions and tools for the players now, more than ever?

We are actually getting less product wise for the cost than years before AND more bugs to go with it.
    edited July 2019
    Evil_One wrote: »
    I'm not and here's why.

And pay more for it!

yep!
    :)
    Post edited by knuckleduster on
  • Sagittarius_Dreamer4Sagittarius_Dreamer4 Posts: 23 Member
    If it ended tomorrow I can't say I would be sad. Upset yes because of how much money I spent and how they would have theoretically left the game buggy. But then again now that I think about it I'm to the point where it's like is there a point in even being upset? What they've done with this series is, imo, embarrassing.
    I'm not and here's why.

It might have been EA's plans to milk the franchise for years with their 'live service' businsess model. Or it could be this team just isn't up to the tasks of past teams, nor have the disclipine ( I don't mean the skill) to do it or don't, and or the imagination. And then there is this generation gap with some of them where toilet humor was more important to them than say, deep personalities. I don't know, I just know it has some fun 'moments' but not enough to make it last seven or eight years without the community starting to feel drained and tired.

ETA: Proof the commuity as a whole is getting tired. The last three or four packs were not the hits they should have been in the minds of the players. There is always, (responses of TS4) I like it, but....with each pack they are releasing this past year.

With all of the previous versions of the Sims fresh in most people's minds, you would think they would study them and actually progress and grow and become more detailed and interactive.

But that would mean they are looking at it from the players experience - which they seem to not take into consideration - other than to hook them.

It always seems like their marketing efforts feel like those drug commercials on tv - all happy people taking drugs, meanwhile the disclaimers are mentioned in quick lowered voices and small print on the bottom of the screen.

They need to put warnings on this newer version - what you see isn't what you have come to expect, with every one of their marketing attempts.

It seems like, as you mentioned the toilet humor, they have regressed and it's scary to think what their version of Sims 5 would be.

I keep repeating this over and over - maybe they will catch on - but after watching Will Wright's Masterclass and waiting for his new game, Proxi - I still have hope for the future of gaming - in that there are more mature developers who actually understand that the experience is for the players.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm not and here's why.

Most are the same team from all of 3, most of Sims 2 and even a couple from Sims 1 too. So .... Plus they made no secret of the game going longer - it was even mentioned during the 2013 introduction of the game at Gamescom in a couple of different interviews. People just chose not to hear it I guess. But it has never been a secret that Sims 4 was designed from the beginning to have game content - in their own words "as long as it was feasible to do so...." . I even questioned that statement more times than I can count since they first said it - so they made no secret this was their plan and why they used the Smart Technology game engine because it can handle a real long time of adding content - that other game engines can't handle.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    @Sagittarius_Dreamer4 - welcome to the forum!

(Apologies if I missed any other new posters!)

@knuckleduster - very astute. Companies learned a lot from mobile games re. how to twist our innate desire for rewards/validation to their own monetary ends. Very similar to loading food with sugar, fat, and salt, not because it's necessary for the food to be palatable and worth eating, but because it makes it hard for us to stop eating. Using what's innate in us against us, to make more money, not for the majority of their employees, but for a few at the top and those who can afford to play the stockmarket. The former is nothing new, of course--'confidence men' have been doing similar things forever!--it's simply more science-based than ever before. But these observations I'm making are trending off-topic; sorry about that!
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    I hope Sims 5 is coming soon. I'm so done with Sims 4.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
    edited July 2019
    Tiarella wrote: »
    @Sagittarius_Dreamer4 - welcome to the forum!

(Apologies if I missed any other new posters!)

@knuckleduster - very astute. Companies learned a lot from mobile games re. how to twist our innate desire for rewards/validation to their own monetary ends. Very similar to loading food with sugar, fat, and salt, not because it's necessary for the food to be palatable and worth eating, but because it makes it hard for us to stop eating. Using what's innate in us against us, to make more money, not for the majority of their employees, but for a few at the top and those who can afford to play the stockmarket. The former is nothing new, of course--'confidence men' have been doing similar things forever!--it's simply more science-based than ever before. But these observations I'm making are trending off-topic; sorry about that!

Great points worth repeating - as it helps explain what is really going on.

Taking the blinders off and educating consumers, especially with these "types" of products - never a bad thing!

When Ocean Quigley, lead developer from SimCity 2013, wrote what we could have had without EA's interference - it is maddening to think that they purposely take great games with a ton of potential and decimate them for what? more money?

The games sell themselves and it makes no sense to "punish" the fans/customers by withholding what, by now, they KNOW we all want.

History is repeating itself - they are making this game a shell of what it could have been - like SimCity - they are just doing it at a slower, dragged out grind.

Makes me not too excited for their version of Sims 5, to be honest.

edited July 2019
    sorry - double post
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    EA has the weirdest business model I've ever seen, if they kept these games alive and done properly, While they may make less immediate cash, surely they'd make much more over the long term, as they'd be able to build the experience of the team, learn what fans appreciate with each iteration and build upon it.

Giving them a strong (although not massive) but steady, cashflow.
    raw
    Evil_One wrote: »
    EA has the weirdest business model I've ever seen, if they kept these games alive and done properly, While they may make less immediate cash, surely they'd make much more over the long term, as they'd be able to build the experience of the team, learn what fans appreciate with each iteration and build upon it.

Giving them a strong (although not massive) but steady, cashflow.

I agree and at this point, I think that, if they really proved that they were making a full-fledged game, right off the bat - no tricks/gimmicks, initial and long-term money flow would not be an issue, at all.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I'm not and here's why.

Most are the same team from all of 3, most of Sims 2 and even a couple from Sims 1 too. So .... Plus they made no secret of the game going longer - it was even mentioned during the 2013 introduction of the game at Gamescom in a couple of different interviews. People just chose not to hear it I guess. But it has never been a secret that Sims 4 was designed from the beginning to have game content - in their own words "as long as it was feasible to do so...." . I even questioned that statement more times than I can count since they first said it - so they made no secret this was their plan and why they used the Smart Technology game engine because it can handle a real long time of adding content - that other game engines can't handle.

I don't seem to recall they said in any interview in 2013 this game was going to go on for eight years+. What I recall was Rachel and Lucy saying they had failed to market it to people enough to explain it's a different game and more like a sitcom than previous series. I also remember Ryan saying they had built an engine that would make all our dreams come true when they explained why they had left out toddlers.

And then discussions here with gurus who said the engine would allow them to not need as many engineers as in the past and it would be so easy to add anything they wanted to do. And one challenged any other past developer of The Sims to see if they could learn and do this. Those are the conversations I recall. Nothing about eight years of live service updates and bug patches, at Gamescom. But I might have missed an interview with those comments of years and years of future content. I only know Grant said it/that a few years ago.

It had a rocky start, does great now, but then again it's been on sale or free a zillion times, I wish they had done that for TS2 or TS3 where a pack was half off the next week, and or the bases reduced in the first five days of release like TS4 was. TS2 is probably the only one I paid full price for for everything. And TS3 I did get a lot of it as gifts and or half off or by one get one free often but the packs had been out for months and months by the time I got around to getting those. It sure would have saved me a lot of money if 2 and 3 had been this cheap.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I'm not and here's why.

I don't seem to recall they said in any interview in 2013 this game was going to go on for eight years+. What I recall was Rachel and Lucy saying they had failed to market it to people enough to explain it's a different game and more like a sitcom than previous series. I also remember Ryan saying they had built an engine that would make all our dreams come true when they explained why they had left out toddlers.

And then discussions here with gurus who said the engine would allow them to not need as many engineers as in the past and it would be so easy to add anything they wanted to do. And one challenged any other past developer of The Sims to see if they could learn and do this. Those are the conversations I recall. Nothing about eight years of live service updates and bug patches, at Gamescom. But I might have missed an interview with those comments of years and years of future content. I only know Grant said it/that a few years ago.

It had a rocky start, does great now, but then again it's been on sale or free a zillion times, I wish they had done that for TS2 or TS3 where a pack was half off the next week, and or the bases reduced in the first five days of release like TS4 was. TS2 is probably the only one I paid full price for for everything. And TS3 I did get a lot of it as gifts and or half off or by one get one free often but the packs had been out for months and months by the time I got around to getting those. It sure would have saved me a lot of money if 2 and 3 had been this cheap.

Everytime someone mentions her name.....I remember the big fiasco that it was the announcement of Get Together. I had to close my stream tab out of the immense cringe from their crazy stage dancing and "selfieing". Crazy times those were ahaha I'm so glad we are all past that, dark times for this iteration, really dark. I don't think The Sims ever stood that low since the announcement of Sweet Treats.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I hope whoever is in charge of The Sims franchise learns from the past failures when they develop TS5.

TS3 may have been too ambitious for what the game engine was capable of. But it feels like we’ve taken 10 steps backwards here with TS4. This is the only game in the series in which I have been repeatedly disappointed. For a while I gave up on it completely. If Seasons hadn’t come back, I would not be playing.

Before Island Living, I was more understanding about how things had gone in this series. I saw the POTENTIAL more than the omissions. I thought Strangerville was taking it in a different direction that was less sandboxy, but I wasn’t mad about it, I figured it would be known if that’s not what most Sims players are after, and they’d learn from that. The fact that it’s a choice to follow the story makes it reasonable, I thought.

But when I had played a few days of Island Living, I felt like the Sims team doesn’t know me at all. It’s mostly just eye candy. Is that all they think I care about? We used to get so many new social interactions with each expansion pack, I didn’t wonder if it was enough. That’s why small packs were called “stuff” packs - they didn’t have any new gameplay in them, just stuff. Now we have expansion packs, game packs and stuff packs, and some of the game packs have more to do than the expansions, and some stuff packs like Movie Hangout Stuff has a lot of social stuff mixed in with the stuff, so I don’t know what’s what anymore. We get some worlds for free, but that’s the main feature of Island Living, the world. It’s inconsistent and in the end, I want more gameplay so I will take what I can get, but as a rule now it will be when it’s on sale, because I have learned better. I’m glad I got a lot of TS4 packs on sale.

I look forward to TS5 only if they learn from the past, start the game off with a great foundation with room to grow, and improve the AI which is always too predictable.

If someone swoops in with a competing game, I will 100% buy it, on principle. That could be incredible to see what happens from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top