Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do they really ‘listen’?

14567810...Next

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    I wonder about something -- the Sims Online was really gross; most multiplayer games, especially ones where you can roleplay, are. Sims Online was far worse than most, though. I wonder if they'll only have limited chat if they make Sims 5 more of an MMO. I honestly cannot see, when you are forcing interaction with other people, controlling the ick factor while allowing for open chat.

Edit: I think the Sims team needs to take a long, hard look at Second Life and ask themselves if that's really what they want to make the Sims.

I totally agree. I don't want TS5 to be another Second Life AT ALL.

If online play was possible, it can get very messy. What if you and another player have their sims get married to each other? How are they going to manage the lot they live in? It will be too much like real life where you have to learn to compromise with each other about what to build on the lot and where the money is coming from to build it, etc. Also if your sim's spouse cheats, that means the other player either instigated it or allowed. It becomes a little personal. If they have children, it gets more difficult. And this is just a two player scenario. How about when it is a whole bunch of simmers playing together and having their sims marry each other? Or even own a business lot together? I know some people will get along, but you just know that there will be real fights too, with real hurt feelings.

That's why I would prefer the game to be single player only. I want to be the ONLY ONE to decide alone what should be built and what interactions all my sims have with each other. Then I'll share about what happened that day on this forum! It's just much simpler that way.

-=<*>=-

Hmm.... Still, if they insist on online, The Sims Freeplay allows simmers to send one of their sims at a time to another player's world. They can visit any lot in that world, talk and interact with other sims and use the objects there. They can't take anything or edit anything. There's no relationship building between sims of different simmers. I think this would be acceptable.

But I think there should be safety checks: Only Friends' sims can visit your world. I think some chat function should exist, but it shouldn't be automatic and only at the discretion of the host simmer. The ability to kick and/or block an unwelcome guest should be in place as well.

Then your sim and the guest sim can form a group and go around your world and do things together. I think that would be nice, especially if you made lots that they don't have. For example, diving lots are very location specific and I think the only type of lot that can't just be made and put up on the exchange to be placed anywhere. So if you've made your own diving lots for a world, being able to invite guests over to your world is a great way of sharing those diving lots and letting your guests experience and enjoy them.

If online is there, I would also hope that a hotel/resort/bed & breakfast building and management feature would be one of things to be automatically included. I would love if I can build a lovely place for my guests to stay at, but also give the option of them staying at your own home if you have a guest room.

Shops would be another thing I would love to build for my guests and crafting stations for various items to sell. I would be thrilled to be able to give gifts to my guests or have them buy from my shops to bring back to their own worlds!
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 889 Member
    I can say without a doubt, if they make the next version of this game online, I won't be buying or playing it. If I want online play I have plenty of MMO's to choose from now. I don't want an online sims game where other people change my world or game play. Do this and I am done.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    It could be online or the game could be kept on the Cloud but playable in single or online mode. I read somewhere that playing with the game kept on the Cloud could mean that the game could be enormous in scope but playable on every type of machine. "Goldilocks aproach".
    Interesting article here but looks like a long time in the future.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-36854291
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    It could be online or the game could be kept on the Cloud but playable in single or online mode. I read somewhere that playing with the game kept on the Cloud could mean that the game could be enormous in scope but playable on every type of machine. "Goldilocks aproach".

Bwahahahahaaaa!!!!

Do you really think EA could manage something like that?!?

It'd crash and burn within seconds.
    raw

Evil_One wrote: »

Bwahahahahaaaa!!!!

Do you really think EA could manage something like that?!?

It'd crash and burn within seconds.

You may think so. I can't possibly comment! To be topical sink or swim moment for EA and end of Sims?
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

So a "forced online" experience, no thanks. That means renting the game, not really owning it. Offline-only experience is the best way.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »
    I will never pay and play an online The Sims version.

Add me to the list. The sims is a single player game. There is no reason it should be online.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    Hopefully, they learned from their mistake with the latest SimCity. They forced it to be online and the second people attempted to play they couldn't. I doubt they are willing to even attempt putting a Sims game online only after that.
    Techbilt wrote: »
    Hopefully, they learned from their mistake with the latest SimCity. They forced it to be online and the second people attempted to play they couldn't. I doubt they are willing to even attempt putting a Sims game online only after that.

I hope so too. I bought SimCity5 as I hoped it would just be an update of 4 but to my mind they completely destroyed the concept and people like me who lack self confidence feel overwhelmed if playing online. Sim4 is still going strong though and Simtropolis is still managing to pay it's bills via donations from still keen players, 15 years on. (They've added SC Skylines too) https://community.simtropolis.com/
    SC5 might have done better if EA hadn't overestimated the servers' capacity so that they didn't break down. :D

Do Maxis think all Sims players have changed to like going online these days? I don't think so.

• KoKoFoShoShoKoKoFoShoSho Posts: 2 New Member
    Idk, I think its the system thats bad than anything else. Its clear that they want to listen, I mean, how many forums make sure that your a quality person before you can become a full fledge member. Its like this, have you ever had to take care of kids before? Being a counselor and counselor-in-training for many years has showed me a lot about how a kids actions reflect a lot of greater things in life. Sometimes when a kid per say, wants my phone or something, and its a boring long bus ride, and I know that they're not gonna do anything wrong, I have to say no, because if they have it, then why cant the other kid, or the kid after that, I don't have infinite phones people. Special treatment, even if barely special at all, is noticed by everyone, unless society dictates that they clearly need it, like a person in a wheel chair clearly needing assistance, nobody wants them to have it unless they can have it to. And like, have you seen everyone? There's who knows how many simmers that come here, lets say a million, if 50,000 want this, and another 50,000 want this, the sims people can be like "Sure, we can give you that."(because they're the biggest majority and all). But you still have like 900,000 other people, and they're all divided into groups of 100, and although they may all be fighting each other of what should be priority, you can be sure as hell they'll drop whatever they're doing to make sure those people aren't treated any differently than they are. Secondly, its hard, its gotta be really hard, I cant imagine even hiring a whole team for reacting to comments, because you cant pay them that much, and because of that fact, how quality are they going to really be, they'll probably just recite the website rules and move on when you could have looked at the rules yourself, and even if they did have them, man do we out number them, it would be impossible to keep up. I mean like, I'm sitting here thinking, god the bees need an overhaul, I went from 25 hives to 6 and I still couldn't keep up, and you cant hire services to help, and your sims don't even take care of them unless you ask, they're not treated by the sims like plants, and all they do is get irritated and get mites, no skills, traits or aspirations have anything to do with them, they're basically a hassle, not a cool extension, but who cares about that? The answer is pretty much just me, because no one even bothers with the gardening much less the bees! Overall what Im saying is that you said its hard, and it is! What they need to change is the system, not how they interact. But at least what we've done is told them our concern, that we don't feel listened to, so now they might think about working on that, but in the mean time, we all need to remember that even if it changes, what they're doing right now is the best they can do.

P.S., that Bee thing wasn't just an example, I know it contradicts what I just said but please help me fix it, it hurts my soul that I cant cherish my lovely bees as I please

-KoKo
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

That worked very well for the last Sim City. I find it hard to believe they'd make the same mistake twice.
    Felicity wrote: »

That worked very well for the last Sim City. I find it hard to believe they'd make the same mistake twice.

I wouldn't be so sure, EA would gladly make the same mistake a thousand times before they admit to being wrong.
    raw
    edited June 2019
    From this article:
    "At EA, we envision a future in which games go even further beyond the immersive experiences players enjoy today," Moss said. "I'm talking about games that offer living, breathing worlds that constantly evolve. You'll play them one day, and when you come back the next, things have changed based on inputs from other players, AI, and even the real world. These new experiences will lead to deep, meaningful social interactions. The games you play, the characters you create, and the experiences you have together will create shared ground for friendships that span the globe. I believe this is a future where games become the most compelling form of entertainment. You will be able to play games with your friends anytime, anywhere, and on any device."

If this is the way Sims 5 goes they haven't been listening at all. Nor learning from history. Why in the world would I want a game in which I want to control everything to be altered by player input and changing every time I come back. Also, I come here to socialize with other simmers. I don't want you all in my game, no offense. :tongue:

I also want an offline only experience. Preferably I don't want to deal with Origin at all, let alone whatever they're cooking up currently. But I do think those who want to should have the option to like I should have the option not to. Better yet, make it two different games. The Sims Online 2 can use Atlas and The Sims 5 can be offline single player sandbox.

I would have to steer clear of any game that lets other people interfere with my Sims so if Sims 5 is like that it would not be good for my blood pressure.....sheer rage!!!!!! What an opportunity for online grooming with a game that is aimed at 13 year olds. EA have been naive* in the past year and would need to rigorously update their safety online or restrict the new game to over 18 year olds.

*(of a person or action) showing a lack of experience, wisdom, or judgement.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Honestly, if game companies want to move to this model -- online streaming whether single or multiplayer -- they're going to have an issue with much of the US, and likely the world, internet providers. The US does not have great internet service to begin with in general, and with data caps and throttling and not-infrequent short outages, there's no way I'd want my gaming to be at their mercy. So if Sims 5 actually goes this route, it's a hard pass for me, whether single or multiplayer.
  • DyingLightDyingLight Posts: 309 Member
    I wouldn't mind if the sims 5 were an online game. I want to play with my friends on the internet. Even for a monthly subscription, it would be worth it as long as they added new content every month. Playing sims 4 offline makes me feel so alone, that's why I play fornite and apex legends with my friends instead. Please EA, release an online game, I wanna share experiences with my friends and other people online. It would be so much fun. <3
    DyingLight wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if the sims 5 were an online game. I want to play with my friends on the internet. Even for a monthly subscription, it would be worth it as long as they added new content every month. Playing sims 4 offline makes me feel so alone, that's why I play fornite and apex legends with my friends instead. Please EA, release an online game, I wanna share experiences with my friends and other people online. It would be so much fun. <3

The only way it could be ok is if you could limit to only play with your personal friends online. That would mean you could play by yourself if you wanted to but still could lead to breaking friendships up. They don't always do what you want and some can be predators.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    DyingLight wrote: »

I have no online gaming friends. Seriously, if you look at my list on origin it does not list a single other person. If I play a multi-player game it is at home with my friends in the same room. A forced online to "play with others" does not really work for many.
  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    rjssim wrote: »

+ 1

+1

Surely they can't be so incredibly st­upid as to try that again?

Well, if they do make The Sims multiplayer again, I guess we'll have a definitive answer as to the OP's question.

And that answer will be a resounding "NO!".

does anybody remember Simport?

+ 1

+1

Well, if they do make The Sims multiplayer again, I guess we'll have a definitive answer as to the OP's question.

Even Will himself called EA out for the disastrous launch a certain other online simulation game had.

"It was kind of like, 'EA is the evil empire, there was a lot of 'Let's bash EA over it. That was basically inexcusable, that you charge somebody $60 for a game and they can't play it. I can understand the outrage. If I was a consumer buying the game and that happened to me, I'd feel the same."

https://gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-04-will-wright-games-falling-way-short-as-a-medium

But that would mean that they actually care about the consumer.

+ 1

+1

Yeah, I remember it as being something so painfully simple to do right... But they even managed to screw that up.
    raw

+ 1

+1

Yeah, I remember it as being something so painfully simple to do right... But they even managed to screw that up.

You would think they would learn.