Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims future competitor?

Comments

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,886 Member
    edited July 2019
    I don't really feel like id jump over tbh even if the features were better
    mostly because I just could not connect with it the same way I connect with sims

this has nothing to do with how fabulous the features of the game be but it wouldn't feel genuine to me really
    just more like empty shell of fancy features combined with sims features
    (which obviously is just my subjective opinion/feeling)

now do I think sims probably needs to pick up their slack since quite some time? sure.

so i suppose competition wouldn't be too bad in that sense

Its more like the issue of being too similar to sims but still not being sims
    like there needs to be something to completely set it aside from sims to get my interest
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »
    Pfft, you call that competition? That's like if a person without legs tried to race Usain Bolt!

It’s early in its development and it’s already showing off functionality that TS4 doesn’t have. At least wait and see what happens.

It also shows that it doesn't have what sims has, just saying :D Some roof pulling is not saying much. And just a list of some features isn't really that convincing when it comes to competition.

We won’t know what it has until it’s finished. And the fact that the game is in its development infancy and is already showing functions that TS4 isn’t capable of shows promise, if nothing else. And what more can you ask of a game in early development?

No one is claiming it will turn out to be better than TS4. It’s obviously way too early to say anything like that and honestly, it probably won’t.

Then again maybe it turns out to be what Cities: Skylines is to SimCity.

But I don’t know why you’re so quick and willing to write this off because competition is always good.

If I’m not mistaken, C:S virtually killed SimCity?

And I agree this project shows some promising future for the life simulation category.

Keep in mind that Colossal Order had a 13-person development team, had already made a title with Cities in Motion and had Paradox's financial backing. As I said earlier, I don't think that this will realistically be a competitor to The Sims, even if it ever becomes playable. I likened it more to Virtual Sailor, which is fun to play but was in no way a competitor to the Janes/Sonalysts simulators. The individual may even make the game open source so that people can add to it. It would be fun, but highly niche and not something that the AAA studios would sweat.

If I had to wager, I'd say that this is more of a portfolio building exercise than anything.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited July 2019
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    elelunicy wrote: »
    ElenPink wrote: »
    It's beyond laughable to think that one person can just make a Sims competitor on their own.

Hmm, if you checked out his Patreon he is raising the money so that he can contact other people to help with the game. Here, let me make things easier for you and copy/paste what he wrote:

"The money will allow me to keep working on it and also reach out to other developers for music, sound effects, etc."

:)

I did see it and music/sound effects are the last thing they need to worry about.

Even a indie studio of 10+ developers working full time (which would mean like $50,000+ per month budget wise) would struggle extremely hard to make something even comparable to the 2014 version of TS4 base game.

You have to be incredibly naive to think that one person can make a Sims competitor. TS4 literally made EA over $1 billion in revenue. Every indie developer would flock to making a Sims competitor if that's something they can do on their own.

Girl? How many people made facebook from the beginning?

I rest my case.
    LOL right?? The pessimism is real in this one.

Optimism != delusion. The idea that one person can make something that remotely resembles a TS4 competitor is simply delusional.

Always expect the unexpected. If Donald Trump can be a president without any requirements then it is possible that ONE person can make a life simulation game on their own.

Edited: you avoided my question on how many people created facebook from the beginning. Is Mark Zuckerberg delusional? Is Alan Sugar delusional? Is Richard Branson delusional? The names of self made billioniares.

I'm all for a competitor to TS, really, it's the best thing that could ever happen to the franchise.

But still, it's extremely unlikely that one person alone can make it, test it, release it, and have it be super complex and deep all at the same time. Games like the Sims may look really simple from the outside, but non-linear, sandbox-type simulation games like these are exceptionally hard to make. And FYI, Zuckerberg had help too, he didn't make fb all by himself (and even if he had, Facebook is still alot simpler to make than a game).

Also look at the history of the sims. Seasons were not included in TS2 base game because they couldn't get it to work properly. That was a whole team. TS3 and TS4 have equally large teams behind them and still don't run properly. Even if one person could singlehandedly create a game like the Sims, I sincerely doubt it'd include incredible build tools + amazing sim personalities + tons of freedom + sandbox gameplay + pets + seasons right off the bat. That just really doesn't seem realistic.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited July 2019
    If it's strictly a life simulator and there won't be anything fun or occultish in it, then hard pass.

Creator said it won't have occults/magic in the initial release but it's planned for a later update.

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Question though: how sure are we this guy's legitimate? It's not another project vie debacle right? 😂
  • ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    surprised to see simmers so turned off to the idea! Some healthy competition could up their game, seems like a win-win for everyone

People get oddly loyal to corporations, like they're picking a football team. Personally, I'd probably play both. It's not like people can own only one game!

Yeah, oddly loyal to a corporation that cares little about their consumers.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Question though: how sure are we this guy's legitimate? It's not another project vie debacle right? 😂

I looked him up. He's legit.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I'm excited for this. Just think push and pull roof manipulation! And it's only like day two. (Lol, JK). One man show, he must be amazing. I hope EA doesn't try to copy or buy him out so we never see his game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    This is interesting. It seems that more people are dabbling in the simulation genre these days, which is a good thing. And this person seems to have done some great things on his own. I wonder if Paradox would take notice? Wasn't there some recent info about them considering a life simulation game in the future? I imagine if they took this guy in and funded him, there could be something bigger that comes out of it. It's worth keeping an eye on, in any case.

These animations kind of make me think of a Sims 1/Sims 4 hybrid.
    #Team Occult
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Even though I'm having fun with TS4, I'd like to see it have some real competition in order to keep EA on its toes. More choices + better quality = a win for the customers

Sadly, it's too early to say if this project is going somewhere. I've seen other potential competitors and they never really took off. I'm still waiting :frowning:
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 334 Member
    FINALLY!!! THIS MEANS EA WILL TRY TO IMPROVE THEIR GAMES CAUSE THERE IS A COMPETITION!

Lol, no they would not. EA would just kill the franchise, shut down the development studio, shrug it off and move on to make cash from another source through scummy business practises.
  • Prink34320V2Prink34320V2 Posts: 156 Member
    Hmm, it looks very promising! But going to save my final judgements for when it gets further into development. I hope it actually does bring in all it's promising so that EA can let Maxis do more with this game, which is better for us fans in the long run!
  • Prink34320V2Prink34320V2 Posts: 156 Member
    Honestly, I think I'd be willing to buy this, even just to support developers who are passionate, and want to at least attempt to provide a game that greedy corporations won't give to us without pay-walls, and it's not like we have to stop playing Sims and move over to this game, we can play both, just as many of us play multiple iterations of The Sims at a time.
    FINALLY!!! THIS MEANS EA WILL TRY TO IMPROVE THEIR GAMES CAUSE THERE IS A COMPETITION!

Lol, no they would not. EA would just kill the franchise, shut down the development studio, shrug it off and move on to make cash from another source through scummy business practises.

What makes you say that?
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

What makes you say that?

They've done it before to other franchises :( Another studio I love (BioWare) is on the verge of it because its last two releases had a mediocre reception
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    It's beyond laughable to think that one person can just make a Sims competitor on their own.

Hmm, if you checked out his Patreon he is raising the money so that he can contact other people to help with the game. Here, let me make things easier for you and copy/paste what he wrote:

"The money will allow me to keep working on it and also reach out to other developers for music, sound effects, etc."

I did see it and music/sound effects are the last thing they need to worry about.

Even a indie studio of 10+ developers working full time (which would mean like $50,000+ per month budget wise) would struggle extremely hard to make something even comparable to the 2014 version of TS4 base game.

You have to be incredibly naive to think that one person can make a Sims competitor. TS4 literally made EA over $1 billion in revenue. Every indie developer would flock to making a Sims competitor if that's something they can do on their own.

I rest my case.

Optimism != delusion. The idea that one person can make something that remotely resembles a TS4 competitor is simply delusional.
    Wasn’t Sims the dream of just one man?

When Wright took his idea to the Maxis board of directors, Jeff Braun said, "The board looked at The Sims and said, 'What is this? He wants to do an interactive doll house? The guy is out of his mind.”

The rest is history.
    5JZ57S6.png
    We’ve needed a competitor for the sims franchise since what I call “The Downfall of The Sims 4” era. From the end of 2015 to the end of 2017 ts4 was in a prime. We got City Living, Cats and Dogs, and Get together- all my top three favorite EPs. Not to mention Vampires and Parenthood. After that... we’ve really needed competition so EA can get it together lol 😂
    We’ve needed a competitor from somewhere 2009, 2010. That’s when they became sloppy because we’d buy anyway.

5JZ57S6.png
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I rest my case.

When Wright took his idea to the Maxis board of directors, Jeff Braun said, "The board looked at The Sims and said, 'What is this? He wants to do an interactive doll house? The guy is out of his mind.”

The rest is history.

Yeah, but there's a difference between a dream and what it took to reality. In the original Sims game, there was a picture you could look at that would show you everybody who worked on it. There weren't a lot, but definitely more than one.

Maybe he can do it all! But to say that Will Wright made the Sims all by himself is rewriting history.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

I rest my case.

The rest is history.

The salient issue seems to be that he had the backing of Electronic Arts, a major publisher. This is one person's proof of concept. I'd say you're putting the cart before the horse, but the cart hasn't even been built yet.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    mostly because I just could not connect with it the same way I connect with sims

this has nothing to do with how fabulous the features of the game be but it wouldn't feel genuine to me really

now do I think sims probably needs to pick up their slack since quite some time? sure.

like there needs to be something to completely set it aside from sims to get my interest

That’s because you only know The Sims.

Completion would do this franchise the world of good, or end it. I’m SO good with either. EA lost my loyalty with TS4, so any new life simulation games are welcomed by me.

—T
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I would welcome another Life Simulation game with open arms. And I would still play the Sims. I look forward to seeing more of what he does and truly hope it works out.
    WbUrFQm.png
    To7m wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »

That’s because you only know The Sims.

Completion would do this franchise the world of good, or end it. I’m SO good with either. EA lost my loyalty with TS4, so any new life simulation games are welcomed by me.

—T

And @Simmingal its funny that you haven't even played the potential game and you're already limiting yourself by thinking you won't connect the same way you do with the Sims. Yet every reiteration of the Sims have been different, with TS4 being the most different of all, and definitely an "empty shell."

I rest my case.

The rest is history.

Yeah, but there's a difference between a dream and what it took to reality. In the original Sims game, there was a picture you could look at that would show you everybody who worked on it. There weren't a lot, but definitely more than one.

Maybe he can do it all! But to say that Will Wright made the Sims all by himself is rewriting history.
    But who says this guy will continue doing it all on his own?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    The game seems interesting so far and I hope it releases so EA will finally have competition. It annoys me that EA takes advantage of the fact that no other game is like the sims and so they can create half backed DLC knowing their consumers will buy it anyway because they have no choice.