Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims future competitor?

Comments

• FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    ElenPink wrote: »
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    FINALLY!!! THIS MEANS EA WILL TRY TO IMPROVE THEIR GAMES CAUSE THERE IS A COMPETITION!

THIS is the logical positivity I like to see!

It's from ONE person which makes it impressive! Just seen his dog gif on twitter! I hope he gets money income for it as its impressive - adjusting window size and wall size, sims never done that!
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    @ElenPink wrote: »
    elelunicy wrote: »
    It's beyond laughable to think that one person can just make a Sims competitor on their own.

Hmm, if you checked out his Patreon he is raising the money so that he can contact other people to help with the game. Here, let me make things easier for you and copy/paste what he wrote:

"The money will allow me to keep working on it and also reach out to other developers for music, sound effects, etc."

:)

I did see it and music/sound effects are the last thing they need to worry about.

Even a indie studio of 10+ developers working full time (which would mean like $50,000+ per month budget wise) would struggle extremely hard to make something even comparable to the 2014 version of TS4 base game.

You have to be incredibly naive to think that one person can make a Sims competitor. TS4 literally made EA over $1 billion in revenue. Every indie developer would flock to making a Sims competitor if that's something they can do on their own.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited July 2019
    People seem more excited about the prospect of having the sims improved due to it having a possible competitor than they do about the actual competitor itself. I might be wrong but that's what I'm getting from quite a few of the replies in this thread.
  • ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    edited July 2019
    It's beyond laughable to think that one person can just make a Sims competitor on their own.

Hmm, if you checked out his Patreon he is raising the money so that he can contact other people to help with the game. Here, let me make things easier for you and copy/paste what he wrote:

"The money will allow me to keep working on it and also reach out to other developers for music, sound effects, etc."

I did see it and music/sound effects are the last thing they need to worry about.

Even a indie studio of 10+ developers working full time (which would mean like $50,000+ per month budget wise) would struggle extremely hard to make something even comparable to the 2014 version of TS4 base game.

You have to be incredibly naive to think that one person can make a Sims competitor. TS4 literally made EA over $1 billion in revenue. Every indie developer would flock to making a Sims competitor if that's something they can do on their own.

I am for sure not naive. And while I do see your point, I know of single indie game developers that have made great games, for example: Rimworld, Stardew Valley. They don't compare to TS4, but they're solo developers.

Also, does it hurt to dream and hope? I don't think so. I have more faith in him than the current TS4 developers.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif

Girl? How many people made facebook from the beginning?

I rest my case.
    LOL right?? The pessimism is real in this one.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    People seem more excited about the prospect of having the sims improved due to it having a possible competitor than they do about the actual competitor itself. I might be wrong but that's what I'm getting from quite a few of the replies in this thread.

That’s the best, most likely outcome to me. If it ever gets to the point where the TS4 devs sit up and take notice, it might give them the kick in the pants they need to show a little more ambition.

I rest my case.

Optimism != delusion. The idea that one person can make something that remotely resembles a TS4 competitor is simply delusional.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited July 2019

I rest my case.

Optimism != delusion. The idea that one person can make something that remotely resembles a TS4 competitor is simply delusional.

Always expect the unexpected. If Donald Trump can be a president without any requirements then it is possible that ONE person can make a life simulation game on their own.

Edited: you avoided my question on how many people created facebook from the beginning. Is Mark Zuckerberg delusional? Is Alan Sugar delusional? Is Richard Branson delusional? The names of self made billioniares.
  • JPsimmerJPsimmer Posts: 109 Member
    Those building features look amazing!
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    edited July 2019
    To be fair tho websites and games are completely different monsters programming and development wise.

But I really hope this goes somewhere even if another developer maybe even buys the idea and give him the more adequate resources to roll with it. This isn't like the stone age... now if a developer sees something they like they can approach the individual and see what they can do to make it happen, it's not totally out the realm of possibility that this can measure up to the sims.
    Post edited by Techbilt on
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    @elelunicy your my new favourite person lol :D thank goodness for some common sense and rationalism.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
    @Finbar659 wrote: »
    Always expect the unexpected. If Donald Trump can be a president without any requirements then it is possible that ONE person can make a life simulation game on their own.

Edited: you avoided my question on how many people created facebook from the beginning. Is Mark Zuckerberg delusional? Is Alan Sugar delusional? Is Richard Branson delusional? The names of self made billioniares.

None of your analogies are valid. Did Mark Zuckerberg or Donald Trump make a Sims competitor? No they did not. Their achievements prove absolutely nothing in regards to making a Sims competitor, in the same way that their achievements don't prove that one person can build the Dubai Tower or the Great Pyramids on their own.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
    edited July 2019
    Simpkin wrote: »
    @elelunicy your my new favourite person lol :D thank goodness for some common sense and rationalism.

Oh, please.

Edit: Btw, did you look up what "in development" meant?
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    If this ever comes to fruition and it is good I may give it a go. I play many different MMO's and single player games, nothing to stop me from playing more than one life simulator game.
  • KasanthKasanth Posts: 166 Member
    A few things i see in the video, that they need to put in sims. Building curved walls, and having raised, or sunken, rooms.
  • MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    edited July 2019
    We’ve needed a competitor for the sims franchise since what I call “The Downfall of The Sims 4” era. From the end of 2015 to the end of 2017 ts4 was in a prime. We got City Living, Cats and Dogs, and Get together- all my top three favorite EPs. Not to mention Vampires and Parenthood. After that... we’ve really needed competition so EA can get it together lol 😂
  • Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    edited July 2019
    The thing is even if he's one guy right now, the project might build up into something others want to jump onto or buy up to expand upon. It wouldn't be the first project to start this way. And one person can accomplish a lot, you shouldn't underestimate what just one person that is really talented can do.

If he's a good coder he could build this all up fine, but he might not be as graphically adept so later on when it's needed he might find some graphical artists too, and animators, and lastly sound people. We just don't know where it ends up, but he's off to a good start and I for one love to see more games in this genre.

Competition means progression, since they'd want to outdo one another. Right now... the situation is we get less and less in every pack. With competition we'd get more.
    You're Breathtaking!
  • Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »
    Pfft, you call that competition? That's like if a person without legs tried to race Usain Bolt!

It’s early in its development and it’s already showing off functionality that TS4 doesn’t have. At least wait and see what happens.

It also shows that it doesn't have what sims has, just saying :D Some roof pulling is not saying much. And just a list of some features isn't really that convincing when it comes to competition.

We won’t know what it has until it’s finished. And the fact that the game is in its development infancy and is already showing functions that TS4 isn’t capable of shows promise, if nothing else. And what more can you ask of a game in early development?

No one is claiming it will turn out to be better than TS4. It’s obviously way too early to say anything like that and honestly, it probably won’t.

Then again maybe it turns out to be what Cities: Skylines is to SimCity.

But I don’t know why you’re so quick and willing to write this off because competition is always good.

If I’m not mistaken, C:S virtually killed SimCity?

And I agree this project shows some promising future for the life simulation category.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,587 Member
    TBH I think itll take multiple bigger name competitors to give Sims series real competition. That's not saying I dont look forward to the progress of this person and their project, but unfortunately it's a big hill to fight on.

That being said, any alternatives is always a good thing, even if it just means more options for people who are disappointed with the Sims current track record.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Wow the building looks insane. I've always wanted to curve walls like that. As for the graphics, they look a little sim 4 ish to me and kinda puts me off a bit. The sims either needs a competitor or just be completely sold off to an publishers that will let the devs do what need to do to make the game amazing. But with the way things are
    Going in the gaming industry right now, I doubt that would happen.
    giphy.gif

• jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    I'm interested in anything life-simulation that includes building, so I'm keeping my eyes on this. Also, competition would be quite healthy for Sims 4 at this point.
  • JPsimmerJPsimmer Posts: 109 Member
    Is that a yacht!? <3